68yrs Old - Am I Being Vain in Wanting a Tummy Tuck? Adelaide, AU

I have always been the biggest kid at school and...

I have always been the biggest kid at school and was heavy when I was married 43 years ago. I had a surgery 3yrs ago to repair a faulty valve in the Small Intestine (possible birth defect), and the surgeon strongly suggested that I lose weight as it made the Laproscopic procedure difficult. I followed the diet and have lost 35kg and kept it off for 2 years. I look gross. Recently I approached my Doctor and was referred to a Plastic Surgeon who has given me much needed confidence. I have lost 10" off my waist and 6" off my chest, but the excess skin is bothersome. My wife says I am being vain at my age and wants the same amount of money to spend on an overseas trip!
I know I will feel better, have improved movement (be able to touch my toes) and probably eliminate lower back pain and be fitter, but am I doing the right thing. I am actually excited at the prospect.

Surgeon's Photos

Tomorrow is the big day with the Surgeon to set the date to get things in motion.

The Big Day Looms

The Surgeon will confirm tomorrow if it will be the 18th September (morning), or 25th September (afternoon surgery). It was going to be in October, so this will be excellent. Wish me luck!!

Two weeks !!

It is confirmed for the procedure to be on the 18th September, 2014. Check in at the Hospital is to be 7am!
Nervous but excited.

One Week to go

I'm climbing up the wall. I have mown my lawn (almost did it 2 days in a row), done my daughters lawns, done my neighbours lawns, even mowed the grass 'down there' again. I'm done with mowing. Started to polish the car, helped a neighbour erect a verandah on his house yesterday. Still days to go and I am not nervous, but so excited. I'm jealous of my RS'Harem' who have just had their procedures and I wish them all the best and will be following the progress with keen interest. The Hospital won't allow my laptop in the room as they claim it only gets in the way of things and the risk of damage (through falling) is too great, so it means that I won't be able to report in real time. I will be making notes (old fashioned way, - pen and paper) and will copy them when I get home. My PS also says that he may keep me in Hospital at least 3 days to eliminate the possibility of DVT9Blood clots), mainly because of my age and the fact I did have a DVT post-operatively six years ago following a Hip replacement. In that case, I will soak up all the help I can before I get home, as I think I will be mainly on my own as my wife really still isn't happy that I spent the money on the op. Good luck to all the other 18th Girls, I hope you are finding plenty of ways to keep busy. Thanks to all your comments of support, it really does lift the spirits. Till next time.

3 More Days of Waiting

I am still climbing up the wall with anticipation, but I am following all the 'Septembet TT ' girls experiences with interest. You are all so positive that I am sure your outcomes are going to be fabulous. At the moment, I am avoiding contact with my neighbours on both sides of me as the all have the 'Flu-like dreaded lurgi' and I definitely don't want to catch anything. I will follow some of 'the Girls' advice and start to flush out the bowels tonight and start a liquid diet for the last 2 days before surgery.
I had a weird dream the other night, with all the re-alignment of skin during the surgery, I wonder if my Belly Button will now have a Moustache or a Beard??? I am not a hairy male, so this thought is weird! Wish me luck and I will post when I can.

Lost my umbilical cord

Well it's only 2 more days until the big day, but disaster struck. My modem died. It was like my umbilical cord to the world was broken. After nearly an hour on the phone to the provider, it wasdecided that the modem had an intermmitant fault, so needed to be replaced. Purchased a new one and spent another hour on the phone getting it installed. Lucky it didn't happen next week .I also bought a small tablet to take to Hospital to keep checking in on you all.

It feels like Christmas Eve...

Tomorrow is the big day. I have to check in at 7am, so it will be an early start. Today was interesting, I went looking for my PJ's, as I haven't worn any for 43 years and the ones I bought for surgery 6 years ago are so big it was silly. Purchased two types, an over the head T-Shirt style, but I couldn't recall anyone commenting if they are able to lift their arms so far to put them on, so I bought another pair with a shirt button front. While I was rummaging in the wardrobe, I noticed my 'wedding suit' (yes, only worn once). I decided to try it on, and was shocked, it was soo large that I couldn't hold the trousers up. I showed my wife, who looked and then said, "Bummer, that was going to be your Cremation Suit". Charming.
Bag all packed, moved my recliner into the bedroom, covered it with a wool underlay in case of any leakages, and as it is mid-afternoon on the 17th here already, I have nothing to do. I will have a shower later this evening and use the anti-bacterial soap, and have a blade shave (face) so I won't look too rough after a couple of days. The Hospital rang this morning to see if I was still coming, but couldn't tell me what time the Surgery was going to be. Still excited, not nervous as I know what to expect and just hope I do as well as my RS Harem of supporters have done. I feel like a small child waiting on Christmas Eve for Father Christmas to arrive.
APSA (Adelaide Plastic Surgeons Associates

Dr. Darren Molony. At this stage it is prior to the procedure, but I am impressed with his confidence of what he can do for me and my expected outcomes. It will be a Fleur-de-Lis Abdominoplasty with a separate 'boob job' later on. His PA is amazing, and is so supportive and enthusiastic. The surgery is planned for 18th Sept. 2014

Thinking about you today! Hope surgery went beautifully and you will on the road to recovery soon. You are going to be so slender after!!!
Sending prayers and well wishes to you for tomorrow. I pray that you have a successful and full recovery.
Good Luck!!! Check in when you can :)
It does feel like Christmas Eve!! I remember the anxiety and never...and excitement of not dealing with the loose skin anymore!! Best of luck to you tomorrow! I'll be thinking about you :-)
Hi Imath, I'm so excited for you, but it kinda made me mad that your wife would say such a disgusting thing to you. WOW. Oh well, WE are here for you and will be cheering you on every step of the way so don't let anything at all discourage you! I can sense just from your postings that you don't let petty stuff get you down. :) Good thing you have a picture of yourself holding all that baggage - it's gonna be BUH-BYE tomorrow! Ha! Prayers go up so blessings come down! :)
I have been thinking if you all week and counting down with you! You are going to do great and you will find out that you that all of your preparations and journeys that you have been a part will make your recovery go smoothly. Mainly because you know what to expect. I can't wait to see a post from you saying you made it!! Happy to be a part of your journey and thank you for being a part of mine!
You are going to do fabulous tomorrow!!! We have all given you awesome tips and tricks so you are well prepared...prayers and Gods healing hands going your way for your journey to the flat side!! Can't wait to hear from you tomorrow after surgery. Will be sitting on the edge of my seat until I know your doing well. This has been an awesome journey that I've waited for for so long and I'm blessed to be able to share this experience with people (who I don't know or will never see) who understand the pain, ups and downs, and joys of this life changing journey....thanks to all for being here for each other...wow I'm sappy today..lol. Happy healing!!
Definitely use button down shirt..you've gotten tons of good advice on here, you're ready! You're gonna do great! Definitely have a pillow for car ride home. Something to sip and maybe some crackers just in case. Have food handy at home. Easy stuff. You won't have much of an appetite but sometimes it hits you fast. I eat lots of apples and hard boiled eggs. Try to eat healthy even though it's easier to eat crap. I can't wait to hear all about your experience. Take your meds first 3 days round the clock no matter what! Then you can test the waters...good luck to you! And you've been a great source of encouragement for plenty of us ladies! We are here for you too!
Best of luck! Will be thinking of you!
You are gonna do great! I used my recliner for about 3 weeks... I had a blanket covering it and pillows for under my knees.! I had a pillow for my ride home... It helped more than I thought it would... I couldn't sit up straight in the seat! Just drink lots of fluids, rest, walk a little bit every day and have lots of things to watch on TV! I'm so excited for you! Make sure to keep us posted on your journey!
Thanks for your support. Tomorrow is the big day and I can't wait. Your travel tips are welcome and noted. Keep the updates coming as will I.
Getting closer! I am thinking back to last week and what I was feeling and know that your going through the same things! Everybody has done a lot of hand holding and encouraging and we will be there for you too! It really hasn't been unbearable. And being so prepared and knowing a lot of things of what to expect helps more than you know! Some of the things that I have had happen would of probably scared me except I knew about them from reading everyone's journey. Very helpful!
Thank you so much. I feel the same way, I would have been petrified if I didn't know in advance what was going to happen post op. It really is a big 'thank you' to all my RS Supporters. By the way, I noticed that it is 4 years to the day from the minor laparoscopic procedure that started my 'new self' journey. The next chapter on Thursday. I love reading of your recovery and how positive you are now.
I think it's great that you are doing this for yourself. :)
Whew! So glad you got it all straightened out! We would all have been worried if we didn't hear from you after surgery. So close now!
Thanks, so excited.
Good luck to you! Keep us posted!!
Thanks, it is so reassuring to have this much support from fabulous people that I will never meet (more's the pity).
A few more days! Your wife is going to love it when you're all done! Good Luck and thanks for sharing your story!
Thank, keep watching, the journey has just begun.