68yrs Old - Am I Being Vain in Wanting a Tummy Tuck? Adelaide, AU

I have always been the biggest kid at school and...

I have always been the biggest kid at school and was heavy when I was married 43 years ago. I had a surgery 3yrs ago to repair a faulty valve in the Small Intestine (possible birth defect), and the surgeon strongly suggested that I lose weight as it made the Laproscopic procedure difficult. I followed the diet and have lost 35kg and kept it off for 2 years. I look gross. Recently I approached my Doctor and was referred to a Plastic Surgeon who has given me much needed confidence. I have lost 10" off my waist and 6" off my chest, but the excess skin is bothersome. My wife says I am being vain at my age and wants the same amount of money to spend on an overseas trip!
I know I will feel better, have improved movement (be able to touch my toes) and probably eliminate lower back pain and be fitter, but am I doing the right thing. I am actually excited at the prospect.

Surgeon's Photos

Tomorrow is the big day with the Surgeon to set the date to get things in motion.

The Big Day Looms

The Surgeon will confirm tomorrow if it will be the 18th September (morning), or 25th September (afternoon surgery). It was going to be in October, so this will be excellent. Wish me luck!!

Two weeks !!

It is confirmed for the procedure to be on the 18th September, 2014. Check in at the Hospital is to be 7am!
Nervous but excited.

One Week to go

I'm climbing up the wall. I have mown my lawn (almost did it 2 days in a row), done my daughters lawns, done my neighbours lawns, even mowed the grass 'down there' again. I'm done with mowing. Started to polish the car, helped a neighbour erect a verandah on his house yesterday. Still days to go and I am not nervous, but so excited. I'm jealous of my RS'Harem' who have just had their procedures and I wish them all the best and will be following the progress with keen interest. The Hospital won't allow my laptop in the room as they claim it only gets in the way of things and the risk of damage (through falling) is too great, so it means that I won't be able to report in real time. I will be making notes (old fashioned way, - pen and paper) and will copy them when I get home. My PS also says that he may keep me in Hospital at least 3 days to eliminate the possibility of DVT9Blood clots), mainly because of my age and the fact I did have a DVT post-operatively six years ago following a Hip replacement. In that case, I will soak up all the help I can before I get home, as I think I will be mainly on my own as my wife really still isn't happy that I spent the money on the op. Good luck to all the other 18th Girls, I hope you are finding plenty of ways to keep busy. Thanks to all your comments of support, it really does lift the spirits. Till next time.

3 More Days of Waiting

I am still climbing up the wall with anticipation, but I am following all the 'Septembet TT ' girls experiences with interest. You are all so positive that I am sure your outcomes are going to be fabulous. At the moment, I am avoiding contact with my neighbours on both sides of me as the all have the 'Flu-like dreaded lurgi' and I definitely don't want to catch anything. I will follow some of 'the Girls' advice and start to flush out the bowels tonight and start a liquid diet for the last 2 days before surgery.
I had a weird dream the other night, with all the re-alignment of skin during the surgery, I wonder if my Belly Button will now have a Moustache or a Beard??? I am not a hairy male, so this thought is weird! Wish me luck and I will post when I can.

Lost my umbilical cord

Well it's only 2 more days until the big day, but disaster struck. My modem died. It was like my umbilical cord to the world was broken. After nearly an hour on the phone to the provider, it wasdecided that the modem had an intermmitant fault, so needed to be replaced. Purchased a new one and spent another hour on the phone getting it installed. Lucky it didn't happen next week .I also bought a small tablet to take to Hospital to keep checking in on you all.

It feels like Christmas Eve...

Tomorrow is the big day. I have to check in at 7am, so it will be an early start. Today was interesting, I went looking for my PJ's, as I haven't worn any for 43 years and the ones I bought for surgery 6 years ago are so big it was silly. Purchased two types, an over the head T-Shirt style, but I couldn't recall anyone commenting if they are able to lift their arms so far to put them on, so I bought another pair with a shirt button front. While I was rummaging in the wardrobe, I noticed my 'wedding suit' (yes, only worn once). I decided to try it on, and was shocked, it was soo large that I couldn't hold the trousers up. I showed my wife, who looked and then said, "Bummer, that was going to be your Cremation Suit". Charming.
Bag all packed, moved my recliner into the bedroom, covered it with a wool underlay in case of any leakages, and as it is mid-afternoon on the 17th here already, I have nothing to do. I will have a shower later this evening and use the anti-bacterial soap, and have a blade shave (face) so I won't look too rough after a couple of days. The Hospital rang this morning to see if I was still coming, but couldn't tell me what time the Surgery was going to be. Still excited, not nervous as I know what to expect and just hope I do as well as my RS Harem of supporters have done. I feel like a small child waiting on Christmas Eve for Father Christmas to arrive.

Thursday ; D-Day, 18th SEPT.

Booked in at the Hospital at 7am and taken to a private room with a nice park- view. No sleep last night, but a another weird thought. I wonder what music the PS and Crew will be playing in surgery:- some tracks come to mind, The Surgeon's song,"The first cut is the deepest", the psplinter song,"I've got you under my skin", Mack the knife, "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down", " I did it my way". Weird eh! 8-30am, fitted with compression stockings, gown and off we went. PS then drew all over me (and took a photo for me), then hopped up on to the table - lights out!
In recovery at noon, a Nurse said "Welcome back, how are you feeling" and before I could answer, "Not you, STAN" (Sore, tender about now), and you too. We are going to get along famously.
My PS also retook a leftovers photo for me as well, it was 2kg (4.4lb) and Stan now has 2drains close by and a very low incision. Trussed up in my CG, sohaven't seen anything yet, but the PS was very pleased with it all.
No pain at all, probably the Theater meds still in effect. Very sleepy for the rest of the day and evening.

Post Op Day1 Friday 19th Sept.

Very uncomfortable last night, not from the surgery, just couldn't pee. Nurses took me for a wLk to clear the lungs, but after a short time I became light headed and fainted. A few minutes back in my room and I just made it to the toilet and vomited for some time.
Very painful in the bladder area, and after an ultrasound, it was decided to insert a catheter. Poor STAN, I thought "this is going to make my eyes water". It did. Immediately filled 2 bottles with much relief. Caused by incision swelling on the bladder and pressure from CG.
I can concur with 'my girls' reports of swollen and sore 'girly bits' as STAN is starting to turn yellow with bruising, and his 2 mates are already swollen and bruised.
I still have the vertigo problem and am very giddy. Still no incision pain, even when a sneaky cough occurred. Only taking normal painkillers at 4hourly intervals.
The PS commented that he tightened my stomach muscles slightly as they weren't as bad as most women who have stretched theirs beyond the elastic limit during childbirth. He also repaired 2 hernias.
I haven't seen anything yet as it is under the CG.
I am also in awe of the RS girls who went home the same day as their surgery. I definitely couldn't do that.
PS popped in this evening and asked for all dressings to be changed as they were all messy, so I had one of them take a photo for me. Looks nice and flat and low.

Post Op Day 2, Sat 20th Sept.

PS came in at breakfast time and announced that today was shower day. Still light headed with vertigo problems, and nearly blacked walking the 10 ft to the bathroom. Shower was magic, but by the time I made it back to bed, I. Was covered in perspiration and it took nearly 2hrs to recover.
Had my first look without the binder this morning and was thrilled. The incision is so low and flat and neat, and for the first time since I was a teenager, when I look down I saw poor bruised STAN and my FEET!! Dead flat tummy, can't wait to get home and share my photos. Be here until possibly Wednesday.
Dizzyness is gone, hooray! Next trial - Constipation. Dreading this, all your reports are frightening. My Nurse, (Mother of 5), came in with what she referred too as "Nurses Revenge", a suppository with a reaction time of 0-5mins. Mine was almost zero, having just made it to the toilet. That made everyone happy, and if the Hospital had a newspaper, it would have made headlines.
Still have 2 enormous drain bottles of 500ml each which do not have to be emptied.
Today was a landmark day, feeling really great, and looking forward to a walk tomorrow. I can get in and out of bed by myself.

Post Op Day 3, Sun 21st

A actually hungry for the first time. Today is going to be 'wallies day' now that the vertigo has gone (BP was good, but probably low on blood). No pain yet, but I have not moved around much. I have a sleeve attached to each leg which is attached to a pump and allows sections to inflate/deflate and massage my calves to prevent blood clots. Hope to get rid of them today as my legs are getting sore.
A nice shower on my own. STAN and his mates are now completely bruised black, not funny. I didn't see anything about that side effect in any of your comments.
Change of clothes and ready for my walk. Surprised at how vertical I am, but today's Nurse wanted me to walk hunched over and take things gradually. Managed several 50 ft walks and even went outside and sat in the sunshine. Resting and walking is the pattern so far. Can't believe how good I feel. One drain has almost stopped, but the other has reached the 300ml mark.
Really missing following all your journeys, but it gave me a real lift to read your support responses.

Post Op Day 4, Mon 22nd

Disaster last night, the shift of Nurses just changed and my Nurse decided to change one of my drain bottles as it was full (500ml). Suddenly it slipped from her hand and splattered all over the floor, the walls, bedding, furniture, the Nurse and just missed me. It looked like a CSI crime scene. What a mess.
Having to follow my own advice today and take things slowly. I went for long walks yesterday and last night lay the bed down flat and slept on my side for some of the night. Well, I am paying for it this morning with lower back pain. Still no incision pain at all and just feels like a bruise, and yes, I can feel the wounds if I over reach and pain would be at a nuisance 1.
The sneaky sneeze came from nowhere a few minutes ago, and OMG, it suddenly went to a 10!
My PS came in just as lunch was delivered (naturally), and instructed that the dressings be changed, catheter removed, and both drains to stay in.
I had my Nurse take wound photos, and then complete the dressings. Then it was STAN's (shrunken, terrified about now) turn, as she deflated the securing balloon, then said, "Deep breath", and just ripped the tube out. A life changing moment that.
My wife popped in with a clean binder and a supply of blood free clothes.
I notice that I have over 60 responses to reply to, but IIT will have to wait until I get home.
I apologize for the spelling mistakes as I am not used to typing on a 'tablet' touchscreen. Will catch up soon, so keep positive.

Post Op Day 5, Tues 23rd

A restless night last night with'waterworks' problems again. After drinking a full jug of water, I couldn't pee. Very painful. Never mind.
Drains did nothing overnight, so I am hopeful they can come out tonight or Wed morning. The plan for today is to drink up to 2 jugs of water and if nothing has improved by 6pm, then a bladder scan and another ' eye-watering catheter. I'm not telling STAN.
Pain is close to zero, but a lot of multi colored bruising is coming out. The man 'giblets' are completely black now which is apparently blood accumulation and will disappear in time. No mention of ice yet, but it is only 5 days.
My Nurses say I will be happy with my result as my PS is well known for his "embroidery". I will get a new side profile photo tommorow. I am still positive and excited.
A note about this Hospital. Probably built in the 1930's, today it is a Private Surgical Hospital. This means that all the patients here are in for planned surgical procedures from various Specialist Surgeons. Many of the Nursing Staff have advanced training in such fields as Theatre, Anesthetic, Cardiac, Chemotherapy and Cancer treatments. As most of us are not sick, but recovering from surgery, many of the nasty super-bugs are not common either.
I keep looking at all " the girls" updates, and I am really proud ofyou.

Day 6 Post Op, 24th Sept.

It will be a nothing day in Hospital as my Surgeon is performing surgery in a Country Town today and won't be coming in.
Waterworks behaved last night, so maybe the end is in sight.
My daughter came in last night, and after showing her my incisions, she commented " Gee, it looks like you have been gutted! Great Post Mortem scar". Er, thanks,I think.
I find I can sleep comfortably on my side at night, but that is in an electric bed, may take a while at home to find the right setup. I practiced going up and down stairs here yesterday as there are 4 steps back and front to get into my house. Went well.
Hopefully tomorrow the drains will come out and I can go home. I sttarrtedd writing down a 1 week report on expectations vs outcomes. I will post later, but the outcomes come out way in front. Can't wait to send my photos.

Post Op Day 6, 24th Sept. Going Home

Achievements for the First Week.
SURVIVED: Well, at my age there is always a risk over which I have no control.
PAIN LEVEL: Virtually Zero, only taking an antibiotic and 1-2 pain tablets a day.
MOBILITY: Up walking 3hrs after recovery to clear anaesthetic residue in my lungs. Very pleased how well I did, until I fainted (unrelated). Everyday the walking is getting longer and more often.
BATHROOM: Showering upright (lovely), no riser needed for toilet.
WOUNDS: Swollen and bruising coming out, looks worse than it is. Not sore to touch, and only one numb spot so far.
WEIGHT: Even though you all told me not to get on the scales, I couldn't help myself. I am 84kg, an increase of 1Kg, (expect to be about 80Kg after swelling goes down)
SIDE EFFECTS: STAN and the 'Twins', taking the brunt of swelling and accumulated blood in that area, (now Black).
Vertigo, probably caused by more than usual blood loss during surgery.
Bladder, Incision pressure from swelling putting pressure on my bladder plus the effect of the pressure from the Compression Garment, caused an inability to pee (painful).
BINDER: As has been pointed out to me, buy 3, one to wear and 2 drying or being washed. My PS supplied one, 12" wide, and I find this the most comfortable as it covers the hole of the 'T' incision. The others that I bought are only 9" wide and are still comfortable. You will learn that you don't do anything without the binder support. They let you know how far you can reach, twist, or rollover, safely.
PHOTOS: Not being gross, but I find them calming and allow reflection on how far I have come so far. All the Nurses have been great at taking the shots for me, and my PS was thrilled at being asked, so don't be shy in asking, enjoy the experience.
SLEEPING: Day 5, attempted to rollover on my side and found a comfy spot and at almost at full stretch and had a goo sleep. My own bed last night was heaven, crashed about 8-30pm and didn't wake until 7am this morning.
DRAINS: Lunchtime yesterday, the Nurse came in and said "The drains are to come out and then you are going Home". My pulse rate immediately raced and reminded of other 'Girls' experiences, was not looking forward to this. A few minutes later, now ready, she says "Lie back and think od England" . I closed my eyes, expecting the worst, then realised the first one was out and she was applying a dressing. I didn't feel anything. Same for the other one.
TRAVELLING IN THE CAR: Yes use a pillow against your stomach for support. I have a SUV, so I didn't have to lower myself into a seat, but do it slowly and do not 'plop' down on to the seat. Road bumps are magnified as is hard braking, so the whole experience was not fun.
OUTCOME: Really thrilled with the whole experience so far. Anyone still waiting and nervous about making the decision, - don't be, look forward with confidence that you can do this and keep a positive attitude. You will be glad you did it (for yourself first, then family).
Thanks to this Forum and my 'Harem of RS Girls' , I couldn't, and wouldn't have gone through this without your help. Would I do it again, - in a blink. Part two of my journey is to get rid of my ugly 'Man-Boobs' in the New Year, I can't wait.

I Popped !!!

Firstly, I must apologise for the photo of STAN (posted yesterday). I did it to educate (not titillate) the possible side effect to other males following my progress.
Last night, in the middle of the night, I felt my CG rripp itself open and let go! I thought, 'what was that', is it life threatening, is there any pain, am I comfortable, can it wait till morning?
It could wait till morning. I got up, looked in the mirror and was shocked. I thought, "I've created Medical History, - I'm Pregnant"! No kidding, my waist has increased by 3" overnight! There is no increased pain, discomfort, fluid or any obvious cause. 'My girls' comment on their swellings and feeling bloated, so I guess it is my turn.
What it does mean is that my spare CG's will no longer fit until the swelling goes down. The PS charged my Health Fund $100 for the big 12" wide one, but I won't be paying that for another one.
Feeling great, great to be home, and went out to my shed today to see if I could get into one of my old cars to start it. Mission Impossible at the moment, too much twisting and stretching, maybe in another week.
I am really excited to catch up on my 'Harem' supporters progress and feel really proud of you all.
Not many of you have commented on your partners reactions, but you all look so good so far.

First Check up Day 12 Post Op.

Well the drive into the City for my appointment wasn't too bad, I think my wife only missed two potholes, but I am sure we will find more on the return trip.
The Nurse looked at me and said " Why are you walking so straight?". Er, because I can and it is comfortable. It is still not 2wks yet and I still feel like a fraud for feeling so well and able. She ripped (literally) off the old dressings like a Brazilian without the wax, sacrificing 2wks of body hair in the process. Ouch!!
She was pleased and told me to clean out my new BB, which up until that point, I had never seen. Mind you, I haven't seen my BB since I was a teenager. A drain exit is still weeping, but no infection anywhere.
A repeat appointment is planned for next week with my PS.
See Photo :- it looks nice and flat and neat. The Nurse reminded me to go easy over the next week as all the dissolving sutures will be dissolving from now on. I had forgotten about that.

TWO WEEK Update

What a journey over the last 2wks. I still have a leaky drain exit (messy), no pain whatsoever except when I sit or stand because of the binder pressure. No medication for about a week either. Sleeping normally on my side at full stretch. My BB has to be cleaned everyday still, (makes me queasy), but it is nothing really. I am going for a walk this morning to see how I go, on uneven terrain as we live on top of a hill, but I feeling that confident. I appreciate all your thoughts and comments, all I get at home is "Well it is self inflicted!!". I'm bigger than that to respond.
Those of you that a couple of weeks ahead of me are giving me little targets to achieve and I am enjoying the challenge. I have started driving today so I can pick my own potholes. I know they are old photos, but it does show the change. I told my wife that I am going to broach the subject of 'Stage 2, The Boob Job' next week with the Surgeon, with the resulting comment "Not more Money". Tough.

TWO WEEKS (Part 2)

I forgot to mention how STAN and his two mates are going. They have changed colour from black to Indigo, to Navy Blue, to Lavender at the moment, but are terribly swollen still and sooo painful to touch or for clothing to rub on. Will get the PS to check them out next week. They have been the worst side effect so far. My incisions are at zero pain level, getting in and out of bed and lounge chairs is OK, walking up stairs and getting in and out the car is OK. I pruned my 140 Rose Bushes awhile ago so that they would be in full bloom in time for a function that the Daughter is planning in 12 days time where they will be table decorations for a dinner for 300 people. They are just breaking forth now and the bees and aroma is incredible. I actually went out with my snips and bucket this morning and 'dead-headed' them all to bring on the new flowers. Felt really good, no bending or much stretching, but there was no pain either.
My lunch with my 'old guys' went well yesterday. They all suggested that this procedure is something that they would never do - voluntarily. Sore from sitting so long by the time I got home was the only consequence, so I am happy I did it.
I went for my undulating walk to 'supervise' the new house being built nearby this morning, and was pleased with my effort. My fitness has dropped a little as I was a little out of breath after walking upright at my normal walking pace. No pulling sensation or pain anywhere, so I will repeat it each day to get better at it. I'm not silly, I know it is 'everything in moderation 'at this stage, but it did feel good.
The 'waterworks' that caused me so much grief post-op have settled down, but are still very concentrated in colour (you weren't eating lunch were you?), so I will see what the PS says about the next step. My Nurse neighbour across the road says it is still probably effects from the anaesthetic as it can take up to 1 month to work its way out. She says with most of her TT patients, waterworks is the No1 problem area.
APSA (Adelaide Plastic Surgeons Associates

Dr. Darren Molony. I am impressed with his confidence of what he can do for me and my expected outcomes. It will be a Fleur-de-Lis Abdominoplasty with a separate 'boob job' later on. His PA is amazing, and is so supportive and enthusiastic. The surgery is planned for 18th Sept. 2014. Post Operative communication has been brilliant. Nursing Staff were ringing him at home at 10-30pm, and he welcomed that. Change the rating from not sure, to Definitely WORTH IT!!!!

Sorry your wife is not more supportive. A lot of people worry when their partners make drastic changes in their lives, ie appearance, hobbies, exercise programs etc. Sometimes the thinking is, "what next, replacing me?" You have a very good outlook. Ignore the comments as you have been doing and try to reassure her with whatever was your usual behavior toward her before the surgery. Good luck
So as we both have reached our 2 wk mark, I'm glad that your feeling good. Remember to take it easy as you will have those days where you feel a boost of energy but your body is still healing and unfortunately this is a long healing process. As SEXY4LIFE said, try taking walks close to home. I did my walks in my backyard and in my house. Yeah, boring after the first 2 minutes, I know. Even though I was walking basically in circles I was still walking around for at least 5-10 minutes as per docs orders. I went grocery shopping today but took it easy. Walked slowed pushing the cart and trying to stay out of the way of other shoppers. Boob Job, if that's what you want GO FOR IT! My first move as you know was a BR/Lift and I'm glad I did it! Thanks for posting your update!
Hi, I revisited your reviews on your BR. It really did work out well didn't it. You must be more comfortable as well as looking a real '10'.
Don't forget to post more pictures. You are looking great.
Imath, you still suppose to be resting. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be walking up or down an uneven hill. What happens if you get tired and can't return home? Remember you had major surgery and it takes time to heal. Try walking close to the house at first. Don't worry about the comments. It's nothing wrong with wanting to look good and feel good about yourself. I'm proud of you and here to support you.
Thanks sexy, there is a new house being built down the hill and up the otherside top that needs some 'supervision', and that is my target walk. It only takes 10mins each way, but it is a start.
I am glad you are being the bigger person by not responding to your wives less than desirable comment!!! Sorry she is not more supportive....but we are here at real self!!!! You go man!!! Get the breast lift if you want and ignore those comments from your wife. It might be a little different if you could not afford it but from what you have said before about you traveling you can. I would not be able to have my plastic surgery if it were not for my dad paying for it! We live paycheck to paycheck.Your flat tummy looks fantastic and will help so much with not getting infections under the flap of skin that was there before. My opinion is you medically needed it because of that. Wish you all the best!
Thanks, it won't be a Breast Lift, but a Boob Removal, flat, zero. Gynecomastia I think it is called. I've had bigger boobs than my Mum since I was 5yrs old.
Well you know what I meant....I'm sorry I did not say it correctly. Thanks for setting me strait.
I know, and I'm glad your family is able to help out. I would find the money in a blink if my wife and daughter wanted to start a life journey (and make me proud), but they don't and just ignore me. I am too pro-active to let it get me down. Thanks for your support.
I am thrilled for you and your amazing transformation . I can identify with many parts of your journey. Things I've already forgotten, like the calf massagers... Man, I loved them! Combine them with IV drugs and I believe I told the nurse the hospital better than a spa. What?!!? I think it is wonderful you've finally done this amazing thing for you. You will feel better, fitter, and hopefully have less pain. That was my goal. So far so good! Um, also your wife scares me...
Thanks, she scares me too, "after all, it is self inflicted" has been the extent of sympathy so far! I'm glad everything is continuing with you. I will catch up on your story soon. Two weeks today, and I am planning so many things, but have to temper my enthusiasm.
You look amazing, what a transformation. Thank you for posting you journey. I look forward to more pics.
Thanks, I will try to take some more myself soon .
Wow! What a difference! You must be thrilled! Looking great!
Going to go out for lunch today to see how I go. We are both doing well and hope it continues.
It will! No doubt! Enjoy your lunch!
You look SOOOOO good! I'm proud for you! :)