This is Scary - Adelaide, Australia

4 days pre op and seriously cold feet. Thanks to...

4 days pre op and seriously cold feet. Thanks to all who have posted here. Been very comforting. 104.8kg and weight only going one direction. Currently on pre op diet which is killing me - lol. 500 cals per day for 17 days to reduce fatty liver. Problem is not leaving me enough energy to perform at work well let alone exercise although last few days slightly better.

had the op!

Wow. Had the op yesterday and can't believe how good Im feeling!. Yes, morphine helps :-). Got this wonderful Calf Stimulator that I want to take home.. and the bed. Not being able to drink is hard. Sucking ice chips only until they do the barium test this afternoon making sure no leaks.
So about tthe op. Admitted 11:30am. Sat around and did some paper and read a book until 1:00 then all systems go. Had to have a shower and painted with antiseptic. Recovery for an hour and back to the room by 5. Lots of slleep. Very wobbly on legs for toilet (no cathadar). The surgeon made 5 holes which don't hurt (yet). Not hungry which was one of the outstanding benefits of this op over the other choices. So far All easier than I had thought it was going to be.

The worst is over

Well, apparently it is common to feel great day after op but not so good the next day. Had a blinding migrane for 3 days - no one really sure why but over that now. Last few days in hospital mainly slept but great care there. Got out of hospital on Friday.
Eating again was surprisingly strange. I was so looking forward to the idea of eating again and then when faced with it, wasn't interested. I am enjoying taste versus needing to feel sated (that is there must of the time thanks to op). So enjoying (low fat) custards, yoghurts and creamy soups again. It is difficult to work out what my stomach is doing. I'm not sure why it is hurting sometimes - think it might be the acid in the fruit juice I am drinking a cup or 2 of a day rather than overeating. Sure this will work itself out soon!

Day 8 post op

I cant believe how quickly I have recovered. Been working at home this week and although still a bit tired and not strong on my feet, am very well. Went to the surgery for 1 week review and everyone very happy with me (not as much as I am happy with me :-)).
On Tuesday I was directed to take off my wound dressings in the shower. I had seen one of the wounds in hospital that had leaked a little and needed redressing - it was very neat with about a dozen black stitches. I was so surprised when I took off the dressings to find stitches dissolved, wound healed and hardly a mark (other than bruising). Amazing!

I'm now sick of liquid food - there is only so much variety you can have with liquid! Choice of soup, yoghurt, custard basically but more than the protein shakes. I thought I would have them still but they leave a funny taste in my mouth. Expecting things to settle once back on solids.

I have to get back to walking but still a bit wobbly so taking it easy for a few more days. Weight loss has stopped as a result but happy to get on an even keel (and solids) before worrying about this. The portion sizes are so small, I don't anticipate many problems. My issues was not eating healthily it was always I eat too much - the whole reason behind the op.

PS

The surgeon had said the liver was no longer fatty (the point of the protein diet) and looked like "a normal liver" - lol

2.5 weeks post op

Another week on and doing well - losing about 2 kgs per week. This may speed up when I am back to a normal diet. Bit too much yoghurt/custard etc atm.
I was so looking forward to starting on semi-solids. Planned and cooked up Spag Bol (suggested by dietician) for dinner to celebrate... Ended up having ~ 1 tablespoon and realised not a good idea. For anyone who has had the op, you know that "my stomach is about to explode/eject/have a melt down" feeling which leaves you on the couch for a while.
After that, decided to take it more slowly with the semi solids and finding my way. My stomach quickly tells me if I have had too much! My breakfast is now porridge. Having about 1/4 what I was before (and loving it). Normal food again is SO NICE. This week I got a take away Tom Yum soup from Quicksticks. This is so tasty and having it over 3 meals means little calories in it. Today I had 2 x slices of sushi for lunch - I was talking to someone while eating (at a conference) and think he was thinking to him self "why the heck is she taking so long to eat that?". I also had a 1/2 glass of wine this week...didn't become a Cadburys (Aussie joke) as had been warned I might. Will try a full glass next time :-). I don't think I will tell anyone from work at all. Weight loss is steady and Ill just tell people Im on a diet.

Surprised this week to still be feeling so tired. One of the doctors at work said it takes about 6 weeks to get over a general so that may explain that. It is good to know not to be too hard on myself getting back to full speed. I'm very lucky that I can spend about 2 days a week working from home. Other than some fatigue, I am very well. Back to normal bras (no underwires is good idea for first few weeks). Clothes are loose and getting into the last lot I grew out of about a few ago. I presented at the conference I went to today and the boost to my confidence having lost weight and looking smart was a great feeling!

I have searched and searched for a program I saw on SBS on Wednesday night on sleeve gastrectomy's - I was going to post the catch up TV link here but cant find it. It was absolutely excellent if any one else saw can find it, can you post or send the link? It was set in the UK and one of the interesting things they have found via cat scans is that obese people's brains light up when shown a photo of fatty food - something like a chocolate dessert (addiction, reward etc centres of brain) whereas this does not happen with a normal weight person. The fascinating thing (and what I play on when contemplating food) is that after this op, brain activity is changed to ~ the same as a normal weight person. Interviewed post-op people were saying they don't like fat anymore. My experience is that fat does leave a film in my mouth. The one thing I am disappointed in with the op is I still have times I feel very hungry and have some cravings. It is much easier to manage this now however for the following reasons: 1) physical restrictions and knowing I will feel horrible if I have 2 teaspoons too much to eat (fear/caution response) , 2) this makes me contemplate what I will eat more which leads to better choices 3) placebo effect of belief that I will not feel hungry (telling myself I don't really helps surprise, surprise) 4) my main problem was always portions, not that I don't know how to and like eating healthily.

Wish I could change the "not sure" response to the "was it worth it" question above. If I could (and I will explore further), I would change to an absolutely!

Cheers
Gabby

haha - just found the button

and changed to "YES"

3.5 weeks post op

13.5kg! I had post op surgeon visit on Wednesday and he is really happy with progress.
Here are some tips: he said normal weight loss post surgery was 1-2 kgs per week so 4kgs since nurse visit was high. Apparently I have lost about a third of excess weight already. Weight loss should continue at 1-2kgs per week for another 8 weeks before slowing and then plateau at about 9 months post surgery. Thought this guide might be useful but probably varies depending on start weight.
Now for the update: still lacking energy - big day at work yesterday so needed 10 hrs sleep last night! Surgeon said could start serious exercise next week... If I'm up to it.
I am feeling slimmer and better - getting into clothes I haven't fitted fir years (hopefully kept at the back of the wardrobe).
Best news was I had lunch with a friend at a Japanese restaurant yesterday. Had pan fried dumplings. Sound yum but high cals? Well, only ate half an entree size so figure that's ok. But, cause you know u can't eat much I find I savour every bite. So, food tastes better as eating for flavor not to fill up. This is great!

frustrated

Well getting on fine. Life back to normal and still working out food. That will take a while yet but nearly got the hang of it. I am frustrated though with the weight loss - actually put on weight in 2 days then took a week to lose it then loss stalled for a few days. Result is I have only lost .2kg since Tuesday before last (over 2 weeks!) And reckon I'm eating about 1/4 of before and type of food + exercise about the same. Im hoping this is just a bit of a plateau that generally happens during weight loss. Anyone else had a similar patch (hoping its a patch!)?

1 year anniversary!

well, long time since I wrote a post! Was my op anniversary on 5/11 but was kind of too busy at the time to write a post - was my partners 50th birthday on the 4th and we got married on the 8th ????.

The good news is Overall weight loss has been 25 kg's and I'm at my goal weight of under 80kg's.
The not so good news is I developed reflux after going on a course of anti inflammatory's 6 months post op which was not long enough - after a recent endoscopy, it looks like I have a small hiatus hernia that is causing this issue. Upshot is only 2 options; back for a full gastric bypass or put up with it. I don't want to have another op but can't can't imagine living with reflux for the rest of my life.
For those of you who don't know about it, reflux is full on nausea and vomiting (phlegm) and pain for about a period of 2 hours and I've been getting it daily for 6 months. Not fun. Anyway, being a positive person, I thought I would try harder to see if I could change this. I have had to go outside the post op recommendations and have found grazing helps immensely - down to about 3 times a week. I can't work out foods that effect it - the doctors say coffee and chocolate and for me, I disagree with chocolate having found it helps.
I still think the op was worth it and am sure I will work it out in the long run.
jacob chisolm

Excellent - feel very comfortable although he wasn't so happy when I asked him will Ibe able to drink too much on occasion