Actually Had the BBL, Does the Same Thing IPL Does but Stronger

I have melasma and redness, and have had several...

I have melasma and redness, and have had several ipl's with one awesome result (first time) and had only gotten a mild (at best) result for the last time.  I went to a new Derm who wants to do Cosmelan, but suggested 3 BBls to get my skin ready for such a peel.

I have only had one BBl 2 weeks ago and the results were very dramatic compared to ipl.  I had pigment come up, redness is gone, and a dermal- gray scar is pink and raised (It was sunken down below my normal skin).  I looked bad for a week because of all the pigment that came up, you have to let it slough off on its own.  Also I was puffy under my eyes and red for about 2 days.

I paid 200.00 more to have this doctor do the BBl rather than a nurse, and I think the extra money was worth it.  Going in for my second BBl in 2 weeks.  I am a pretty happy camper, this worked better than the one Fraxel treatment  I had.

Also, the BBL wasn't as painful as the ipl, but maybe that's just me.

Updated on Jun 8, 2009
Six months again I had a horrific experience with a doctor and the BBL (see my review). I decided to try it again, but at the place I had been going to for years. Janie is normally my nurse, and has been doing ipls for over 9 years and has always done an excellent job. She was unavailable to do the BBL, so I went with Debbie, who has been working there for 17 years. She put me at ease, but more importantly she did a fabulous job. On my melasma "mustache" she used a 560 filter then a filter just for brown, and it is almost gone. Three years of anguish and thousands of dollars on fraxel and the thing is gone! I will never stray from this facility again, and I hope this helps someone. Thank you Laura, Janie, and Debbie!!!
Dr. Shalini Gupta The Dermatology Laser and Vein Center of Cincinnati

I chose a Doctor who went to Harvard, was in a beauty magazine, and had good patient reviews, yet managed to burn me.

How much did you pay for the bbl treatment?
If this review is so positive, why does the writer conclude that BBL is "not worth it"?? I'm confused.
I just did a Living Social deal where I thought I was getting an IPL treatment, which I had had much success with many years ago, with zero down time - just a few black freckles that fell off. They instead used BBL and I have what looks like broken capillaries and a super swollen face (this is the end of Day 2). Is this normal for BBL?
Am thinking about getting the BBL therapy treatment for pigmentation and wrinkles. I am in my late 60,s Should I have a dermatologist or plastic surgeon facility do this? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
I find the doctor skilled, professional and caring.
I don't hate the doctor, I just didn't like being burned. Watch out.
I think it is ridiculous to think that someone who writes a positive comment for a procedure or doctor works for that doctor. I have seen Butter make comments about other people's positive reviews as well. I am just really really happy with my results. Merry had no long term complications from her procedure and her opinion of the doctor is her personal viewpoint. It should be respected. However, my opinion of the doctor is very high and very different from Merry's. Having so much hatred for someone will poison anyone and lead to unhappiness. The doctor has helped me tremendously, is very professional, and very warm. I personally trust her completely.
Thank you Ella, I just had another BBL done at my nurse's office (where I should have stayed) and she used a 560 filter and then the "brown" filter over my "mustache" and I am thrilled again. Skill and caring more about the patient than the money seem to be the way to go. And this BBL was 200 dollars cheaper. Go figure!
Merry, I agree with you and Butter. Belangina is promoting. I'm personally very grateful that you posted your experience. I've had IPL before, but my new derm uses BBL and has a 'technician' who does the treatment. I'm relieved that I found this thread and your story so that if I get BBL.. I can walk in, informed, and have a say in my treatment. Thanks, Merry.
I have to ask the same question as butter. I have had countless IPL's done by a nurse and was never burned. The doctor had the settings too high, and should never had taken such a risk on me. Her staff was so pushy with expensive products I dreaded seeing them every time. As far as the details of my procedure, please e-mail me and I'll be glad to give you permission to look at my file. Nothing strange, healthy female. I wouldn't wish this doctor's office on anyone, and I told her I was leaving reviews on her treatments.
Do you work for the doc, belangina? Everything all your comments + review are promoting.
I had BBL by same doctor and I have been thrilled with the results. My brown spots have come off beautifully and my rosacea has improved significantly too. It was very very worth it. I also had vaser liposuction by the same doctor and have been very happy with that too.
I would personally not let anyone other than a doctor touch me with a laser. This doctor is definitely the most qualified from all the research I have done. It is unfair to make negative allegations without all the details of your situation.
Thanks for the input. It seems suspicious to me too. It's not a special offer and other services they offer are at the market price for this region/city (e.g. laser hair removal, microdermabrasion txs, etc.). So I've been skeptical, though admittedly captivated.
Either one can burn you - I'd ask for customer numbers you can call - not Sciton's pictures. I paid 500 for a bbl done by a derm, best for redness I think but I got burn marks on my chin that thank God went away, I think they went away with out scarring because I am fair. But I'd let my nurse do it at 300. She has proven herself to me many times. That Harvard derm will never see me again!
Does anyone have thoughts about my last post regarding BBL at only $150/treatment by a nurse practitioner? The clinic has a Sciton Profile BBL machine. I'm concerned about possible burning since I am already fair skinned and figure this may predispose one to burning easier, I imagine. What concerns or issues would you consider when looking for BBL or IPL treatments? I don't know much about BBL or IPL for rosacea and have had trouble finding guidelines or specific issues to consider when researching it. Thanks
Ipl is safer, and just my opinion makes the pore look temporarily smaller. That said, the BBL made my car wreck scar much lighter.
Hi, i have dark scars due to pimples and acne, also i have pore enlargement.do you think BBL or IPL works better for me?
Hi Merry, A nurse practitioner suggested I receive a BBL treatment for what she called my mild rosacea (I've had facial redness since at least my teens). It is only priced at $150/treatment (seems like a very low price). The machine is the Sciton Profile BBL. What questions would you suggest I ask regarding treatment? Thanks a lot- your posts have been helpful!
Hi bj, bbl is a stronger version of the ipl. It might make your melasma worse, or it might make it better. Don't do it if you are not caucasion. I am not sure what it would cost in LA, If I lived in California I would go to see Dr. Fitgerald.
what is a bbi i have melasma would this be good on my face. and i am in los angeles area 818 area code, i would like to know how much and where i can go.
I had to change my rating as I now have two scars on my chin from the burns, a new brown spot on my chin, and still have painful flushing, which I didn't have before. I have waited an entire month to write this so as to be fair to the Doctor and the treatment. I can't even use the 500.00 in products that were pushed on me. I am going back to my nurse, who is obviously more qualified than this Doctor, and almost half the price, to see if this damage can be mitigated in any way. Stay away from this Doctor, she is charging 2000.00 for the new Cosmelan, and wanted me to do it despite my issues with Kojic acid and redness. And no, I haven't asked for a refund, and certainly won't ask for additional treatments.
Hi dicheung1, I had the Sciton BBl done, it was not an ipl. A BBl is pretty much the same technology as an IPL but this machine was much stronger, and if you have any surface issues (milia, pimples etc.) the BBL will zap those. Actually I found out this Doc charges 750 for a BBl as opposed to where I could get it done for 300 (a 450 dollar difference), I didn't realize I was buying a package for 3 at 1500. On my last BBL I freaked out, she used a 560 cut-off filter and it burned my chin-luckily I have a reddish skin tone and the pink just blended in. It took 11 days to heal and my 'stach is the best it has looked in 3 years. The IPL never brought up any pigment there, the bbl's and one alexandrite(an extra 250.00) sure did. I would not recommend a BBl with a 560 cut-off filter. On my last BBL she also used a laser filter across my 'stach.' I looked very scary for 10 days. I will never get ipl or bbl done on my chin again - I am too afraid of brown spots cropping up there because of the burns. I will BBL again, just at $300.00 and not ever on my chin again, and certainly not with this doctor. It was not an easy 10 days, I was very scared. Hope this helps. On my first 2 BBL's she went extremely easy, maybe better to go that way and buy more.
It was the two scabs and redness that took so long - It only took me 5 days to heal after the second one, and I smoke so it takes me longer to heal. Good Luck, at least the nurse who charges only 300 never burned me, whereas a Harvard Doc did, go figure.
Merry, thanks for the answers and advice. I'll research some more to find out more about BBL. Taking ten days to heal sounds pretty scary, I'll be sure to ask for a low setting the first time (if indeed I'm getting this procedure done). Thanks!