Abdominoplasty - Best Thing I've Ever Done for Myself!

I had twins (they were actually my second and...

I had twins (they were actually my second and third children) in 2003. Anyone who's had multiples can attest that your abdomen never goes back to where it should be. Although I lost the weight from the pregnancy, I had excess skin and just general flabbiness that wouldn't budge.

When I consulted with my plastic surgeon he pointed out that my muscles had been severely torn and that I needed muscle repair in addition to getting rid of the excess skin. For good measure, I had just a bit of lipo around my flank area. The surgery was actually rather easy. I felt no pain that first day (good drugs!).

HOWEVER, if you get this surgery, heed my advice! Do not sit in a chair or bed that you have to scoot to get out of. I sat in one of those large sofa chairs and realized that I had to use my abdomen muscles to get up. I sat in that chair for 12+ hours crying because I had to use the bathroom so bad, but it hurt to move that way. The doctor on call had my husband drug me up with serious demoral to get me up finally.

Second bit of advice - I felt very good by the fourth day and was bored sitting in my bed. So being the genius that I am, I decided to clean my bathroom a bit. BAD IDEA! I ended up tearing my inscision. I went back to get the tubes out and was told I had to wait a few more days. Then they had to pack the holes that I tore in the inscision. It added many weeks to my recovery.

In the end, I was ecstatic about my results. I've always had a little "pooch" - even when I was an extremely active teenager and weighed 110 lbs. I am now flat as a board and have killer abs!

The best advice I can give is

1)Arrange dependable after care - I had a great husband

2)Don't try to do any work until fully cleared by your doctor

3) Wear your binder (sort of like a girdle) religiously. I wore it at night for months afterwards and woke up every morning with a great shape.

This procedure was worth every penny and greatly improved my self-esteem.

Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Laughlin was patient, took his time, explained all of my options and did not pressure me. Not to mention that his wife also had twins and he had a first-hand knowledge of what multiples can do to a woman's body! I was also greatly impressed that he used to be the Chief of Surgery at Anne Arundel Medical Center. He has a wonderful personality.

I had the same problem - even when I weighed 110 lbs, I still had the "football". I asked questions about pain and recovery (how long etc.). My doctor was also very straightforward about results. He had me stand sideways and showed me how I was going to look (that I wouldn't have a concave belly, just a flat one). I have to admit I never had a waist to begin with and this surgery didn't give me one. I'm just flat now - so I have a bit of a boy figure. I found that lower rise pants fit beautifully though - no muffin top! In the end, your self esteem will blossom. I love looking in the mirror everyday and it gives me incentive to watch what I eat and maintain a reasonable exercise routine. Like I told my husband - this was my $7,000 investment - I'm treating it like gold! Good luck!
I am going for a consultation in 2 weeks and I am so scared becasue of friends saying all the cons, like looking like Tara Reid. Do you have any suggestions for questions to ask my Dr.? I have worked out for years and my Mommy Tummy will never go away. I feel for self esteem this is my way to go.
Hi looking4doc, Provider information appears above the review. You must be signed in to view, which requires free registration for an account. You can also browse our Maryland tummy tuck surgeon directory to find a doctor in your area.
If you don't mind me asking who was your surgeon? I live in MD and have been looking for recommendations.
Yeah, it took me awhile to get into a smaller size. I would say it took the better part of 2-3 months for me to get down to the size I am now. I wore alot of "stretchy" type pants when I returned to work (also 2 weeks later). But in the end it was definately worth it. I find lower rise pants fit much better. It's a bit of a downer in the beginning - you really are expecting to see instant results, but it just takes a little time and patience. I found it so ironic that I was flat, but bigger than I was originally! Go figure! Just as a sidenote, I would recommend taking off another week if possible. I found that I was extremely tired that first week back. Take care of yourself!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it. By the way yolu sort of already answered my next question, which was when were you able to fit back into your regular clothes. I was wearing a size 8-10 pants when I went in for my surgery, but as of yesterday,(2 weeks post-op) I couldn't even get into a size 12 that I still had in the closet. I'm hoping to go back to work within the next 2 weeks but I'm afraid I won't have anything to wear.
I had my abdominoplasty on Jan. 23rd. I'm still very very tight and swollen. Still pretty uncomfortable. How long did it take before your stomach felt normal?
It took awhile before I was really "back to normal". I had some side effects (popped my incision because I "HAD" to clean my bathroom 4 days after my surgery). I'll be honest with you - I'm three years out and I still have some numbness in my stomach area. It doesn't really bother me at all though. Wear your binder religiously - that definately helped me. Something that initially put me off was the fact that in terms of the fit of my clothing, I was actually bigger than before the surgery. I attributed this to fluid and the shifting of weight around my body. I ended up going from a size 14 to a size 8 (waist wise - I always had skinnier thighs and no butt). But it did take a few months for everything to "settle". Congratulations to you - I promise you won't regret it!
good one!
You have really encouraged me. I am scheduled to have this surgery in 2 weeks and am nervous about the after effects. I am also having a breast reduction at the same time so I won't be able to use my chest area to help me up and down at first. Did you go home with a pain pump inserted into the abdomen? thank you for sharing your wonderful hints!
Don't be nervous!! I know, easy to say for me now that it's over. But I'm telling you - I'm 3 years out and I don't regret it - not one day. I look in the mirror, turn sideways and instead of grabbing my flab and being depressed, I pat my flat abs and smile. I was sent home with Demerol pills. I didn't need them the first day because the pain meds hadn't worn off from surgery. I ended up taking them for about four days after the surgery and then found I really didn't need them. You will be very tight. The only way to describe it is that it feels like someone has secured a wooden board against your abdomen. It will take you a few days to begin to stand upright again. I was able to wash my hair in my bathroom sink quite well when I was at that angle! I would do it again in a second. And incidently, I'm thinking about setting up another surgery for a breast lift (I'm a 40DD and the girls just aren't what they used to be!). So you'll have to update me on your surgery too! Good luck - you'll do great! :)