A Good Result Requires Patience and a Highly-skilled Injector

Sculptra is only as good as the skill-level and...

Sculptra is only as good as the skill-level and experience of the person injecting you. If your doctor only uses Sculptra occasionally or (even worse-I've actually heard this) sends his NURSE to inject you, RUN!!! This is not something to play around with.

I have been getting these injections in my face and around my eyes since 2001 and the results are nothing short of amazing. It is not instant or permanent or cheap for that matter but if your doctor REALLY knows what he's doing with it you will fall in love.

By the way, I have NEVER had a single lump or nodule and I NEVER have been told to massage my face, either. If there are any docs out there who are as experienced as mine I would be happy to switch. It's a pain to go to Paris every six months to get poked!

Dr. Patrick Amard

Happy for you. You are so right that Sculptra injections require an experienced hand with a good understanding of the product. Having treated patients while out of the usa for a decade, I could not agree with you more.
Keith, I'm planning to contact my doctor and raise some of these issues. I'll share her feedback. HKK
"Maybe Dermik should pull its use for anything other than facial lipoatrophy" BINGO! Yeah Keith this is awesome for facial wasting and it should be only used for that purpose... also insurance needs to pay for it. I am glad you've been posting with me because its a great way to get info and give info. Kooie
Thank you for your insight, too, Kooie. I have gotten a fresh (albeit sad) perspective on Sculptra. I remember my doctor always very quietly warned me about the motives of Dermik in the US. He felt sure that it was going to be widely promoted for something beyond its intended use. Never paid much attention to his comments until getting on to RealSelf a few days ago. Have noticed the bad experiences seemed to be concentrated on the off-label use Dr. Patrick Amard was so leary of. Unfortunately, he killed himself in Paris in December.
Keith, Why are you so angry that someone has an experience with this injectable that is different than yours. I honestly do not understand your tone. Honestly I don't. Since you get Sculptra in Paris, since this drug company, I believe, has roots in France, I don't think you will ever be in jeopardy of not being able to get your injections. Also I did notice there are website that cater to HIV lipo side effects and the use of Sculptra, I am sure if you are looking for opinions, they can be found easily. Wow.
I am not "angry". I am new to this site and am alarmed that there are so many bad experiences with this product. Maybe Dermik should pull its use for anything other than facial lipoatrophy until they can get their act together. I really makes me sad that something that has given me my face back since 2001 has disfigured and harmed so many people. I am just trying to understand.
"Sculptra is only as good as the skill-level and experience of the person injecting you" Not completely true... its the product kids... Look here at what the panel of doctors who approved the crap are NOW saying... HMmm they were lied to... imagine that... read this http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/Detail.CFM?MDRFOI__ID=979482
How come I am the youngest looking man in my entire family? I am one of the oldest and not a single relative can believe how young I look. I am 47 and HIV+ for 25. Had severe to moderate facial lipoatrophy indicative of long-term use of d4T (Zerit). Facial wasting is devastating. That God I was lucky enough to find Dr. Patric Amard in 2001. I had read an article about him ii some summer issue of POZ Magazine. It ltook three trips to Paris to really see the beginning of the "renewed" face.
I am sorry you had a bad experience.
Hi Keith, I'm wondering why the product sold in the US is different from that used in Europe? I went to Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald in LA who has trained along side Dr. Danny Vlegglar (has an office in Geneva and Paris). I was debating amongst which to go to and figured it would be easier to see someone in the States - all other things being equal. So far its been a month and I've had no problems, however before continuing treatment I'm thinking about your comment about the European product's superiority over the one sold in the States. Any suggestions?
I do not necessarily think that the two products are different. How it gets formulated at the doc's office is where I think the problem lies. Mine was always formulated (the powder get mixed with the liquid) at least the night before my appt. Also, he would always go very light and diluted and kinda deep around my eyes and would adjust the ratios all around the temples and cheekbones, too. )got black eyes each of the eight times I had it done over the years around my eyes) So even though the product is probably indentical in Europe, maybe it is handled differently in the office.
Also, HKkitty, my Doctor in Paris strictly forbade me from taking a flight the same day as the injections. Wait at least 24 hours before exposing yourself to pressurized air.
Ooopps...I did take a long flight about 6 hours after I had the injections. I hope the massaging compensated for that. The doctor knew that I was going to travel and didn't say anything about not flying... Yes, I've also heard that it is essential to dilute the product for best results - and that it should be prepared a day in advance. Not sure how my doctor prepared the product but I'm hoping that since she's a national trainer - an one of the first injectors of the product that she understands the best method for working with Sculptra. I'll wait the 10 weeks as you suggest to give it more time and see that there are no bad results. So far, things look OK. Slight improvement over before. Actually, she analyzed by face and said one side had much less volume than the other. So she just injected (lots of injections all over the place) that side and then put a little in the temple and above the brow on the other side. (she did those areas on both sides). She said that next time she put Sculptra into both sides of the face. I do sleep on one side most of the time so that may be why that side of my face is less full. I hadn't noticed it until she pointed it out, however she was correct. My face does look much more balanced now. Yes, its tempting to go back sooner rather than later and see more improvement, however like you said patients is truly a virtue when it comes to cosmetic procedures. Thanks for your sound advice!
HKKitty,You are welcome. Knowledge, caution, patience, and realistic expectations might be what we need to get us through this complicated cosmetic procedure world (we have elected to put ourselves in) unscathed. I have learned a lot on this site. Thanks for sharing. K.
The source you reference while valid is from 2005 following early approval for use. Sculptra has since been approved for cosmetic use by the FDA more broadly. Here is a more recently link that others may find of value. Bottom line: the doctor who wrote the 2005 concern was concerned about the minimal evidentiary support for more wide spread use than originally approved. Well, the new data is in and it has been approved! Check it out! http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/DeviceApprovalsandClearances/Recently-ApprovedDevices/ucm176124.htm
I appreciate where your coming from and approval is a strong conformation for many patients and doctors that there are no dangers and safety has been considered. Actually I am very happy there has been FDA approval for Cosmetic use of Sculptra. This was good news, there is a possibility the product will be more widely used and we can get a bigger picture of just how safe the device is. Having FDA approval wouldn't have changed the way in which my doctor injected me. In fact having FDA approval doesn't change the way a doctor works with sculptra. The product is different then the other injectables and is injected differetly. The doctor will need an understanding of how this device works. The product is not as user friendly as other injectables. The product does come with challenges that need to be considered and there are many doctors who won't take the time to understand these, thus causing injury. It may at some point become obvious that this product has to many hurdles to overcome and FDA will have to take another look at the safety factor. The doctors will realize this safety factor before it comes back to the FDA. If there are a lot of people who are disfigured from sculptra this information will spread through out the medical community quickly and it won't be used anymore. My experience could have been avoided if there had been longer testing on it. My experience along with many others caused changes in the way sculptra is worked with which cut down on complications. So its all good! I have not noticed a change in how many e-mails I get from people who have been damaged and are asking for help. This has a good side and a not so good side. I am glad I sounded the alarm and hope that my story helps a doctor and a regular person like me avoid injury! Best Regards, kooie
Hi Dhruti, Check out our United Kingdom doctor directory. Once you click on your city, you'll be taken to a page with all of the reviews/recommendations for that area. Hope this helps, --Sharon
Hi, Do you know of any doctors in the Uk that are good? I want Sculptra done but having read some scary stuff on the net am looking to get a right doctor before I get it done.
I recommend you go to Paris for scluptra. There are two Docs, one's a girl and one's a guy. Just google New-fill Paris Studies and you'll see their names pop up all the time.
Oh yeah Keith I 'll grab the next flight... LOL No seriously Keith, I am so happy your getting the results your getting. I understand your thinking that it begins and ends with a great injector, however the material that is being injected is key to its success on a broader scale... that really is it in a nut shell, a broader scale... yes there will be cases without problems, but there will always be more cases with problems because of the nature of the material. Suspensions loose their homogeneity rather quickly even a good experienced injector may find themselves doing a poor job. Again its the nature of the beast. Kooie
So when am I going to start having problems? Did you have HIV-related lypoatrophy before starting with Sculptra?
Don't go to the Transform clinic in Fulham. Had mine done there and 8 months later, two creases appeared below my mouth. These creases have got deeper and deeper, and they arent age lines because i find myself staring at 80-year olds and they havent got these, theyre in the wrong direction. Its supposed to neaten up the jawline but mine is much more saggy than before! In the end I found a good doctor who fills out these creases with Restalyn every 4-6 months, but i wouldn't need this extra cost if i hadnt had the Sculptra. Im sure those on this site that say the practitioner is important are right. This treatment was only offered by the clinic's nurse, and of the three treatments i had, she put about 15 injections in the first time and less than 6 in the second. No reason for this, cos there was no difference in my face between the first and second treatment, so it wasnt as if she was 'adjusting', cos as she said it only begins to really take effect afer 6 months. Trouble was, the 'effect' it took in my case was disastrous! Absolutely not worth it unless thru personal recommendation,

I think it is an outrage that this company would allow a NURSE (you have GOT to be kidding me) to inject you with this extremely volatile substance. Get angry and sue the s*** out of these people. Your situation is completely unacceptable. It is bad enough that non-board certified general practice doctors who lack the necessary experience are getting in on it, but a NURSE? Does she fill-in for a Neurosurgeon, too? P.S. Nothing against nurses, but come on!

Ha. I've never heard a trip to Paris described as "a pain". Who is your doc?
Currently looking for a US doctor who can match his level of expertise. I might be dead before that happens!