VASER LIPO Tough Recovery

I have had unwanted belly fat for about 6 years...

I have had unwanted belly fat for about 6 years now. I am thin everywhere else but when I gain weight this is where it goes. Heard of the VASER LIPO and it sounded much better as far as the procedure and the recovery for the patient than the traditonal lipo. I decided to do it thinking the reciovery period would be easier, quicker and less painful.

I am 5 days post-op now and in terrible pain and have terrible swelling. Although the inside of my abdomen/flanks and pubic area hurt terribly, the outside of my skin is still numb all over. I knew the complete recovery time was 4-6 weeks while wearing the garment, but I apparently misunderstood the intial post-op recovery, as I was told i would be able to work and exercise in 2-7 days.

How long before this intense pain decreases, how long before the intense swelling decreases and when will the numbness go away?

Longtime surgeon

I'm 4 days post vaser abs and flanks. You have to slowly deep massage those areas and u will feel instant relief
Today I'm 2 1/2 weeks post vaser lipo and I'm pain free I have very little swelling mainly to my flanks. I stopped wearing to compression garment at 1 1/2 week after because it was so uncomfortable for me but I substituted it with two 6' ace wraps to me it is more effective for me. I'm so pleased with my results already :-). I massage my abds & flanks daily and drink slots of water!!!!
I had Vaser done almost 2 weeks ago. I agree that it was not as "pain-free" as advertised and the "drive yourself home thing" wasn't too accurate either. The anesthesia part was the worst. Very painful. After that, the actual fat melting and suctioning wasn't too bad, painful at times. Maybe that's when it hit places that weren't very numb. Don't know. I was barely able to walk when I got home. Laying down was tough too. Switching positions while laying was challenging as it was painful to move. Like a extreme ab workout??? No way, more like a Mac truck hit me several times...

Anyway, after about a week, things were starting to improve. Now at 2 weeks almost, I am still swollen, only a little discomfort. I'm wearing my compression garment but I'm wandering if it is tight enough. The one I was fitted for pre-op was too small so I ended up having them exchange it for a medium. Now that I'm not as swollen, I'm wandering if I need that small size.

Does anyone know how tight the compression garment should be?? My doctor said at my 1 week follow up that I could switch to spanx but I don't know how tight it should be. Any suggestions?
I had Vaser lipo done one week ago. Everything about it seemed amazing, hardly any recovery time, almost instant results and no real pain. All of that was wrong. I had enormous pain, the anesthesia was not at all effective and I cried and screamed for the entire 2 hr procedure. I was told the recovery would feel like I "overdid it in the gym" and that was not the case at all. I could harly move for the first week and was on constant painklillers. Now I'm just frustrated. My post op instructions were to wear my garment only 12 hours daily after one week of constant wear and that seems to be not what you are all recommending. I feel like I don;t look any different and I'm hoping I didn't waste this money for one measely inch around my waist. I had upper and lower abs and flanks and I really don't see any results yet.

Someone tell me this is still swelling!?! Tell me my wonderful resluts are coming!!!! I'm in nursing school and have to return to clinicals and I'm really concerned that this pain I still have will interfere with my school.

Also, when did you all start to see actual results? When you say massage, does that mean moving around that "liquidy" feeling stuff in your belly? How hard should I push and how often should I do that?

Thanks for everyone's help, I appreciate it!!
Reading all these comments I can only come to the conclusion that everyone has a different body and therefore different healing processes.
I had Vaser done yesterday to my tummy and flanks and I'm absolutely fine.
The procedure itself was painful at times but only briefly and nothing major, definitely no screaming or crying!
Afterwards I had no pain whatsoever, nor do I have any now, and I haven't taken any painkillers, just the antibiotics.
I was leaking a lot last night and that felt quite uncomfortable, but I was clearly told by my surgeon that this would happen, in fact I was given disposable towels to use for the 12 hours following the procedure.
In my case the main downside of it all is having to wear the compression pads, which are very hard and bulky and make it difficult to move - plus I think they're very bad for blood circulation - but they will be removed within 5 days' time. Afterward I will only have to wear the compression garment, that keeps everything tight and it's quite comfortable.
When I went to the surgery this morning to have my plasters changed, I could already see the results. There was hardly any bruising or swelling. I can see there is still plenty of fluid that needs to come out and my skin feels really weird, but I can already see the completely different shape: flat stomach and no love handles.
My surgeon didn't advise any massage and although on some websites it says you can go to work the next day, he discouraged that, which I agree with. After a surgery, however minor, a body needs time to recover and although I feel absolutely fine I wouldn't want to go out or exercise right now. I did, however, do housework with ease.
I am sorry to hear about all these unfortunate experiences; I suppose choosing the right surgeon and being aware of what to expect is very important in order to obtain the best results with Vaser lipo.
Hello everyone, I had Vaser done two weeks. Had the inside and outside of the thigh done, the inside and top of the knee, a bit on the lower stomach, the back and the arm flab "Vasered" So little bit everywhere. I have to say that besides the first day I have been feeling good. Been taking painkillers so there was no pain just discomfort. My surgeon runs a recuperation center where I have been going for daily lymphatic massages alternated with some kind of an ultrasound over all the lipoed areas. I also thought that in two weeks I would be done. I still have a lot of bruises but no pain at all. Today they started a more aggressive massage to help the hard areas. I don't have much numbness but I think that it depends on the amount of fat taken out as well as on the quality of the skin. My surgeon recommended that I have several massage sessions and apply nourishing oils on the skin few weeks before the procedure as to improve the skin and the tissue. Apparently the compression garment is an important part of the whole procedure. I live in a hot climate on the beach and can't hide it easily:) They say that three to five months are needed for maximum results. A year ago I had it done on the face; the jaw line and in 10 days I was perfect. I really recommend Vaser for the face. The lower jaw line with time collects fat and we loose our youthfull shape. Hope everyone recuperates well.
Hi! To marianne1, where did you get your procedure done? Who was your doctor? I have now a wide face with jowls and have been looking at doing this procedure. Thanks in advance.
By the way, I feel like I'm still swelling - it will be two weeks 8/20.... ugh!
Thanks for the reassurance. I plan to wear compression for at least 3 months as it feels too weird without it. :) I guess I can't look worse than I did prior to the procedure! LOL I was so out of proportion that anything is an improvement. That sounds so bad but it's the plain truth! LOL I measured my waist and I went from 38ins (no joke) to a 29ins! My legs and arms used to look like lil tooth picks! LOL I'm so narrow in the hips too so I was a total apple from hell! But now it all works; I just can't wait to feel like my mid section isn't going to slide off of me whenever I take the garment off! I'm also glad not to be in the medabolically challenged group in one chriteria. Now I only have two out of five symptoms instead of 3. It's a long road for me as I've had female challeneges and surgeries that interferred with my health. NOW I'm on the road to better health. I do NOT want to get diabetes! I can't go there. :) I'm 41, look like I'm 30 and I finally don't look pregnant anymore. RAMBLE OVER. TKS!
schnookie check out my original post and my updates at ann in indy title was Power Assisted Lipo aka PAl so far so good. I just added some pics and info today.
Im working out again too. 2-3x week spinning and 30 min per day cardio. The results are improving and the uneveness is going away. The XS garmet is helping alot. I take it off for a few hrs a day. But Ill keep wearing it as long as i can. I lost lots of weight too and inches.I was 61.5 kilos and now Im 55. Thats 15 pounds I lost from June 9th till now. I was a 31 waist and now Im a 28. I'll post some new pics. Its taking time, but the results are getting way better and even the strechmarks and smoothing out. They dont look inflamed anymore. I have another appointment with the doc on Sep 8th. That will make 12weeks postop. Then he'll let me know if I need a correction or not. Whats still not so good yet is my bottocks. one still needs more work than the other. the cheeks are not even. So ill keep wearing the garmet and hope for the best
This thread is scaring me!!! I'm 8 days out and wondering if I'm going to have problems....
Don't worry, wear your garment because it helps a lot. Wear it for at least 3 months. Others may say that is too much, but that is what my doc recommended, maybe because PAL is a bit more traumatic than Smart or Vaser, but I am glad I wore mine religiously. I am no longer wearing mine as of just a couple of weeks ago, just past the 13 week mark. I have had great results with PAL. I would do it all over again. It was so worth the money, pain/discomfort.
btw check out my post with picks just search ann in indy. I think I will post some additional pics soon to show how being consistent ant with working out also helps with your progress. I am getting ripped.
I wear mine at night too. It actually does help alot. I'm hoping that the next 8 week it will help and I'll finally get the results :)
Now at 13 weeks post-op and am just now wearing my garment less. Am thinking about going without it tonight when I go to bed. Wearing it can only help.
are you wearing the compression garmet? Im into my 7th week and was at the docs 1 week ago. My results were great for the first week. then everything fell apart. Doc told me they gave me the wrong size compression garmet. So now I have an xsmall size and I have to wear it for 8 weeks. So wear the garmet religiously :) Melissa
I am 4 weeks post still hurts still swollen getting better. I have hard areas and started on steroids...Hurts more than thought slow recovery.
Into 9 weeks after vaser laser on tummy and back..not even seeing early results so not sure what final results will be and when? Extremely painful and far more invasive than I was told. I have had liposuction 155 years ago and preferred it as results were more immediate and less painful.
Just to let you ladies know, I am now 11 weeks post op. I am very happy with my results, but know that the healing takes a long time. I still have some of that numbness that I talked about in my last comment and have tenderness in my thighs. The good news is these signs are improving and I just know that is part of the trauma that I caused to my body doing a surgical procedure. I never would have gotten these results in the gym, I know, I am a die hard when it comes to going to the gym and training in the dojo. Just remember to have patience healing takes time.
Be prepared for the numbness to last for months. I am 7 weeks post op and still have numbness, but it improves weekly. I still have a little swelling also, and am tender to the touch in some areas. It is not painful, but tender, especially my legs of which were bruised terribly. The bruises on my legs even startled my doc and his staff at my first 2 post-op follow up appts., but bruises are now gone. Be patient, massage the area no matter how much it hurts to do it, and it does hurt to massage. Drink lots of water, take some Bromelain and don't expect to have the super hot body right away. I went with PAL, I think some of these claims of Vaser and Lipo being painless are not responsible. Everyone has a different reaction and a different pain tolerance. You can check out my review, I have pics and will post more next week when I am 8 weeks post-op. Good luck.
I had a Vaser lipo done 5 weeks ago on my inner thighs abdomen, flanks and lower lids. There is still a constant burning pain in the abdominal area which makes me miserable. I cannot even walk 2 or more blocks without crawling back into bed. Like Ann in Indy, everyone seems to be underestimating the post-operative pain. I needed stronger pain pills than mefenamic acid or Advil and up to now I cannot stand for prolonged periods. This is not a procedure with a pain-free recovery period. My job requires me to stand and I still cannot return to work to stand 6-8 hours/day. I had 3000 ccs of fat removed. I am worried about the bulges that remain on my right abdominal wall.
Dear Marian, I agree completely. We are roughly at the same stage of recovery although I only had vaser carried out to the upper and lower abs. The area still feels raw and my belly button looks completely raw. The 'lumpiness' and uneven skin gets me down. I look worse now than I did before. I had a session of 'Accent Radiotherapy' yesterday and am hoping that it might even out the area. There is also still some hardness under the skin which I assume must still be swelling. Everything looks promising when I take off the compression garment in the morning and then 10 mins later the folds and ripples begin to appear. Do let me know how you progress - you can email me directly if you prefer - katieravenscroft@waitrose.com Here's to a speedy recovery for us both! Katie
I am 4 weeks post op I had the wrap, abdomen, flank and hips. It still hurts to bend down, it feels like someone is pulling my muscles to the ground, I still have moderate swelling. I am massaging and you are right it hurts. I was told painless heck it hurts bad! But I think it is worth it....
I'm also in my 7th week and its the same. I dont have any pain. But they gave me the wrong size garmet and now my stomach is uneven and so are my buttocks. Now I have an xsmall one and i have to wear it for 8 more weeks. My stomach is lumpy on the right side and it also looked better before the lipo. Lets we all have happy results at the end . :)