Under-eye Collagen Injections, a Living Nightmare

All my life, I have had under eye bags but as I...

All my life, I have had under eye bags but as I approached 40, they looked even worse. I was tired of people asking me if I was tired or sick. So, as a "present" to myself, I got under eye collagen injections.

Here is where the nightmare begins...Both eyes GREATLY swelled up, especially the right one. The left eye turned black. I looked like I got beat up. I had way more swelling than what I was told to expect and went back to the doctor who informed me that I needed an image makeover and that I should come back and have my lips done. She couldn't wait to shuffle me out of the office. I was in tears. I look far worse than I did before. These so called injections took what little self-esteem I had about my looks and destroyed it.

Now, here it is more than 6 months later and I still look like I have been punched in the right eye, the swelling is still VERY obvious. I get asked constantly who beat me up, did I press charges, etc. In short, I avoid eye contact with people and feel horribly ugly. I LIVE FOR THE DAY the swelling goes away and the doctor who did this to me gets royally sued by someone who has the money to do so.

PLEASE DO NOT GET UNDER EYE COLLAGEN INJECTIONS! RUN! Accept what God has given you, I wish I had. For those of you who may be wondering, I had only one vial injected, split between the two eyes. It didn't even get rid of fine lines and made the ones that were there, worse.

FEEL FREE to email me your cell number and I will GLADLY send you the multiple pictures I have of what I looked like after the procedure and today. Yes, it is better but not by much.

She could not show me before and after pictures of people who she did this procedure on yet claimed to do it "all the time." MY DUMB mistake for trusting her. She made many grand promises all capitalizing on my life long desire to get rid of the under eye bags and now they look worse. When I went back to complain about the black eye and massive swelling, she couldn't have cared less...she already squeezed $500 out of me. I left crying and never went back.

OH, and limit salt, it tends to make you hold fluids. I have allergies and anemia so iron pills and not rubbing at my eyes will help, and cool cucumbers for 15 min. try these ideas, but I really think a talk show could help . Really tell your story.
My sister tried hyaluronidase and she said it helped alittle but she still has the sac under her eye where they injected the filler. I also still have the SAC under my eyes also that will not go away after 8 months now. I feel like I need to wear my glasses all the time to hide it!
I had restylane put in my eye bags in Oct. 2011 and it is May of 2012 and my eyes still have an extra bag like a sac on top of my other eye bags. Every couple of months it fills up and gets so puffy it feels like it is going to pop. It also gets really sore like I have been punched in the eye in the whole area.The one eye is worse than the other. People ask me what happened to your eye it's all swollen and red. It is horrible and I just don't know what to do. I went back to my Dr. and he said of no that is way gone now it only lasts 6 months. Well something went wrong and I just don't know what to do! I feel everyone's pain that is dealing with this same problem. I would never get restylane put around my eyes again! I agree that it shouldn't be used around the eyes at all. Leaves empty sac's that fill up with fluid and stays sore!
I have the same hing from juvaderm under the eyes. Did anyone try hyaluronidase and could it help dissolve the fluid filled sacs?
Age gracefully

this is sad .There are so many good creams out there i use Retinal A by a prescription it is really does help .It's always best to use start using it before they start .Hope all of you ladies can find peace and someone to fix your your eyes !!God bless

Hi Darryl - I feel your pain. I got botox-induced cheek ptosis from crows feet injections in July 2009. I have written all over this website about it. Like you, the muscle under my eye flattened out across the bone and all my facial fat drooped down my face. I also got the puffy bags under my eyes. It is week 30 for me and I still have the puffy bags under my eyes from herniated fat pads, the dropped facial fat, the flattened muscles across my cheek bones, the strange 'chipmunk' smile, the divots on either side of my nose when I smile. Cheek ptosis is the worst botox effect and it lasts for a very long time. I can see some posts from other people who had botox-induced cheek ptosis that their results diminished after about 24 weeks, so it would seem that my result was particularly extreme to still be so evident after 30 weeks. I got a Tua Viso (electric facial muscle stimulator) but I don't think it can really help until the facial muscles have reconnected with the nerves and are working again. This morning, I was (stupidly) looking at some photos of me before I had botox and I am crying as I write this. I was really pretty before. I had a lovely smile and I would give anything to get that back. I am also pretty sure that I am going to need a blepharoplasty to fix the mess under my eyes but I am terrified of that too. I thought that botox just made people look younger and better but still like themselves. My face and my smile are not my own. I feel sick at how foolish I was. The terrible, terrible regret of it all. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated about your recovery. Cheers x I will let you know if I think the Tua Viso is helping or not. I have been reluctant to use it because I didn't want to do anything that would stop the acetylcholine receptors regenerating properly. There is no information about whether stimulating the deadened muscles too early with electricity might affect the nerve-muscle reconnection. No doctor was prepared to offer me an opinion on this. After 30 weeks, the nerves should have all reconnected to the muscles now, so I am going to use the Tua Viso everyday for the next two weeks and see if there is any difference. I will post my results on this site.
How are you doing now? I'm trying to be patient with my lumpy juvaderm injections since it has only been 2 months. I am afraid to do any more procedures. I'm hoping for improvement as it dissolves over time. I also have puffy bags that I never had before. I wear glasses now and may do so for the rest of my life. I don't think plastic surgery is for me since I had such a bad experience just from an injection.
Hi tried but failed....your story is very close to mine. Did you ever recover fully from your ordeal?
I had juvederm, not collagen but I think the effect is the same. I also do not look people in the eye anymore and people constantly ask me what is wrong. I have been speaking to Learning (I live in Australia and she lives in New Zealand) and she has had some good results with manual lymphatic drainage for undereye swelling. I think it involves mainly massage to stimulate the lymphatic system and clear swelling (which is particularly difficult to get rid of under the eyes because it pools up again every time you go to sleep!) I am looking into it myself because I have one eye bag. Yes, that's right - only ONE! My right eye looks pretty normal but my left eye has a swollen "Nike swoosh" underneath it because I think some of the juvederm escaped out of the tear trough area and is sitting in the eye bag and puffing it up. Looks HIDEOUS especially when I smile. I asked you about botox because some of my issues are botox-related. I think the botox around my eyes is preventing me from clearing the swelling because the pump action of my eye muscles has been diminished. YUCK! I say again - I feel your pain. I only got into this whole mess on 15 June, so I have a long, long wait ahead of me. Ironic how when you like something it never lasts but when you want something to go away, it hangs around for months. Try google or the yellow pages to find a lymphatic drainage person in your area. I think acupuncture also might help? Let us know how you are going and believe me, you are not alone! Cheers
Guess what? Some Physical Therapists know about botox injections b/c they use them for other conditions. It's worth a shot to research PT's who work on faces (strokes...). Get an eval and tell the PT you have/GEt an electrical facial stimulator. Create a home program to estilm the unresponsive muscles. This way you will have the best shot of drainage. Tightening other weakening facial muscles and maintaining the muscle that has been "deadened" by Botox. It will also make your complexion brighter. YOu could find someone who knows drainage techniques too - and I bet acupuncture could help. I also heard that they know how to get the botox and maybe collagen to absorb/break down faster. Oh btw i was given smile line injections that have made my under eye circles heinous particularly when i smile. It looks like swelling but is actually cheek pitosis. The fat pads drop off the cheekbone b/c of the muscle above being relaxed by bo... My facial lines are not my face and not an improvement. Stay strong. I would also recommend staying away from things like dairy and wheat which can puff you up... any other allergens.
I think cheek ptosis from botox is way more common than doctors admit. I replied to your post below.
As a fellow sufferer of under eye circles / bags, I completely sympathise with you. When you have lived with them all your life and think you have found a solution to get rid of them it is DEVASTATING when the 'solution' ends up making them worse. I totally feel you pain. How long are collagen injections supposed to last? Is there light at the end of the tunnel for you? Did you have botox in your crows feet etc at the same time? Sometime botox can make undereye filler last longer. Have you tried manual lymphatic drainage for the swelling? Another RealSelf member "Learning" had some success with it. Let us know how you are doing. Cheers
It's good to know I am not alone. I knew I wasn't but it helps to hear from people who are like me. I got so sick and tired of people asking me if I was sick and tired I tried the injections. I feel like a complete circus freak now. The doctor told me the injections would last 6-12 months and I had them in early January. They still look like two unnatural bulges under my eyes. I hate to even look people in the eye. I still get asked "what happened" to me, that's what they look like. I never had Botox and have no crow's feet (yet)! What is manual lymphatic drainage? I would sooooo sign myself up for it if it can help. Thank you for the comments.
It never goes away! Beleive me. I had a lot of injectins put in. Way too many,but even just a little bit is very bad. It just moves around & cuases Cyst & Rapid Skin Cell Growth Disease. You'll have drainage that collects under your skin & is impossible to get rid of. I have neen trying for over 21 yrs. now. GOD BLESS!! This stuff should be outlawed!
You can also get yourself a vibrating facial massager. I use one a lot. It helps also w/ the pain & itching. Of course drainage,too.
I compeltly agree with what you said. I had the same experience 4 days ago. the doctor told me that the erea under the eye will look much better after the injuction. he injected it and I thout the swelling after the surgery is normal. now I am in my fourth day and tow black circles are under the eye and the swelling looks like eye bags wich I did not have before. I really regret going under this procedure and wish to have a solution.. I am soo desperate now..
Oh, Rehana, I am sooooooooo very sorry for what you are going through. I feel your pain and am living it still more than 6 months after the procedure. I have tried every solution I know to reduce swelling, some with no success and others with minimal success. The black eye part is gone but I still have MAJOR unnatural bulges under my eyes, especially the right one. I understand being desperate. I found out about some other injection that would allegedly dissolve the swelling but heck, after the reaction I already had to the original injections, why the heck would I sign up for another? Albeit a different kind. My doctor was board certified to, not some quack who advertised in the back of the Enquirer. I cried a lot of tears and feel horrible when I catch someone staring at the under eye area. Hang in there and I will keep you in my prayers!
I had injections put in between my eyes. Am having a horrible experience trying to get it OUT! I wish I had never heard of the junk. It cuases cysts under the skin that drain under & around my eyes. Hurts soooo bad! I'm trying chemical peels that is slowly getting it off, but it has been over a yr. this time & I am not nearly thru. I also had it put on my left cheek & along one side of my chin. I had been in a wreck & wanted to get rid of a few scars, which would have faded on their own by now,but a (plastic surgion)LOL talked me into having dermabrasion,did a worst job than a 3 yr. old would do.Now I also have drainage going into a pocket in my neck, a large area. THIS STUFF SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET!!! Good luck w/ yours!!
Hi I'm Pat, I was reading these post because I seem to always have dark circles or bags under my eye, I was considering injections , now I know I should try going to bed on time not at 2 am. Drinking more water, and sleeping more upright so I wont' accumulate so much fluid under the eye, and only putting eye cream on not regular lotion under the eyes.