Tummy Tuck & Lipo - Frustrated with Incision Problems

I am three weeks post-op and my incision looks...

I am three weeks post-op and my incision looks terrible. (I had a tummy tuck and lipo) On day 5 I developed an infection, ended up in the ER and was given Keflex to help combat it. I called my Doctor's office the next day as instructed and they didn't see me for almost 8 days after my ER visit.

It's been 4 days since my DR visit and he told me that I have one of two options. I can let my incision heal the way it is and see how it looks or I can have him go back in and "fix" the area free of charge. I decided to wait and see how it heals but in the meantime I am left with an open area on my incision (right above my pubic bone) that is approx 2-3 inches long and having to place a saline dressing on it 2-3 times per day. The area where the infection was looks pretty deep and is such a hassle.

I have been so depressed because of all of this extra bs that has happened. My Doctor doesn't seemed rattled by it but I can't help but be upset. I don't think I have had unreasonable expectations, I just want to be normal. I can understand having to be swollen and deal with the compression garments but this on top of everything is driving me nuts.

If there are any Doctors out there can you help shed some light on this? How long can I expect this to take to heal? If any one else has had similar experiences I would love to hear how you coped. I read alot about the tummy tuck procedure before I went through with it ( I wanted it for 9 years ) and I have never read anything close to what I am experiencing.

I will rate this "WORTH IT" because I think that once everything heals the way it should I will look much better before but if I was only looking at NOW- I would say NO.

If there are any Doctors out there can you help shed some light on this? How long can I expect this to take to heal? If any one else has had similar experiences I would love to hear how you coped. Thanks!!

Ok I'm 13 weeks out and still have a hole leaking fluid. I had a spot to die and had to have it cut out 4 weeks out, it drained for 5 more weeks. It did better and I had a scab come up about the size of a dime. Thought I was in the clear. Then it came off and a smaller one came up about the size of a q-tip stick. I also started swelling a lot below my scar. When it started burning and bothering me I went back to see the Dr. He stuck in end of a q-tip in it and said I still had a hole. He wants me to put hibiclens on a q-tip and stick in the hole and let it heal from the inside out. So my husband does this and fluid goes everywhere. Swelling went down, 4 days still draining. I don't know if I need to see another Dr. or if anyone else has had anything like this 13 weeks out.
I read Real Self daily to see if any others are having similar issues. I am 43, had a full tt & liposuction 3 weeks ago. My tt has a Huge, Deep Hole right in center of incision. I'm scared to death! My Dr assures me that I'm not going to die! (I'm a little paranoid) &with proper dressings it will heal. I have been sooooo depressed, my 2 little boys start school in1 week, & the thought of me causing them anxiety over mommy's "tummy ache" is so upsetting. I am on Keflex, change dressings twice daily, and sit and worry. ..i wish happy healing to all.
I went through the same kind of thing. My skin scabbed n came apart in the middle of my incision because the skin was so thin there and had poor circulation. It came apart and was 9 cm wide and 3 cm tall and about 1 cm deep. Its very sick looking but its a risk i took with surgery it is no ones fault. It is slowly closin and i am healin. I am 5 weeks post op. My dr and his nurses r fantastic they see me 2-3 times a week and they debride it (dig out dead tissue to help new tissue grow faster), they arranged for home care to come to my house twice a day to change my dressings and clean it and in 3 weeks after i have heald a bit more he is going to cut it out and sew it up to make it look nice n close the wound. I am not thrilld about this situation but i am in good hands and countin down til it is all over
I am very curious if you can update me on your status 2 years out. I am going through the same thing as you now and would like some insight...HELP!
Me too! Thank you!
Yeah I followed doctors orders. My dr. said that I should be up and at it "normal" routine after one month. When I got home I stayed in bed and did as little as possible. When all went wrong with me is my first post op (3weeks after surgery)visit-I didn't see the Dr. I saw a nurse. My surture over the stitches was coming off and I asked her to retape it. Instead she took it off and said I didn't need it anymore. I was a bit surprised but I felt that she had to know what she was doing and so I went home untaped on my incision. That is when I noticed that my scab was opening and I immediately made an appt to see the Dr. He said he wouldnt retape it and said it had to heal by itself. It did not do just that, instead it opened and opened and opened to a quarter-size hole before it started to heal. So in my case, I did follow dr. orders and it was a mistake that hopefully will not happen to others. Don't let a nurse look after you so soon after surgery.
first of all for all the people out there who had a bad exprience with your surgery doctor's always tell you what not to do when going home after this type of surgery. Alot of people go home and do the opposite they start lifting things and they try to walk straight before they heal and thats why they run into compliciations. Just saying did any of you follow doctor'S orders.
Im sorry but I didnt do anything i wasnt supposed to do. I had a seroma that developed 2 weeks after surgery. I went to the er 3 times and no one would touch it. The dr. removed 100cc of fluid off my stomach but it still opened up 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep. I had to pack it and was off work for an extra 3 weeks. When it had almost healed i got a staph infection and was hospitalized for 5 days. Im 5 months post op and still have 3 open spots draining pus. Dr wants to go in and clean out incision which will require me to pack the wound -again!also i will be off work for 2-3 more weeks. He also wants me to pay 250 for anesthesia. I feel very upset. Ive done everything I was supposed to. Please dont assume people arent following drs orders.
Im going through a similar experience. Long story short- I was in er after week one with infection that the office ignored. I went back with small opening, that has now increased after two weeks- I have 6 opening and they are not small. I have to pack them as well, and the PS just says- "You look great!" I was thinking of seeing another surgeon for a second opinion, but I thought I would read here first. Can you tell me how everything ended up for you?? Thank you!
Well I had the surgery at the end of July and by the end of October (3 months) my incision was fully healed. My major concern was how long it would take to heal since my incision opened up and I had a quarter size hole above my pelvic area. I was quite surprised at how quickly I healed. I stopped drinking coffee, I took zinc, vitamin C, and multi-vitamins and I tried to eat as healthy as possible. I don't know if this helped the healing process but I was sure glad to finally heal completely. I go back in June to have the scar fixed at no cost to me. I hope all goes well. I will keep you all posted.
I'm so glad I found this post!! I have the exact problem. I'm 5 weeks post op today. When I went in 3 days PO to get the drains pulled, my dr took the tape off the incision. When she did she said I got a "tape blister". It's right above my pubic area where she did some lipo. It was extremely red and I had to take some antibiotics. It's not red anymore, but it's still like an open sore. I've been keeping antibiotic ointment on it constantly to help heal. When I went in today she said that I have to wait until it heals completely and she might have to do a scar revision. One part of it is pretty deep looking. I wish it could just be re stitched. But I guess I'll have to wait until it's healed. It's definatly frustrating. Everything else is good, except for the area above where that happened is pretty hard and sticks out a little. Your post was written a couple years ago, so how are things now? Any advice?? Thanks!!
Hi my name is Kim and i am so glad i finally found this infomr here. I am post opp a tummy tuck tomorrow and this past tuesday whn i went in my nurse had to pull my Dr. out of surgury due to problems with my stomach. It's very distended, swollen, red and hurts. She went to get him and he brought back a book and showed my some horrible pictures. They were nasty, where the insision had opened up. Basicly he told me that i have to stay in bed and this cause by me NOT staying in bedor doing sutff i'm no suppose to be doing. He too started me on the silver sulfa something cream and i just put a pad over it. I have been on Keflex since a day before i had my surgury. I too have been on Arnica and Bromeline 8 days prior too my surgery. I will say that i have not had much pain sinc about after 8 days.I will say that my Dr. does not use the compression garments in ither my tt or breast reduction. He said it cause a loss of blood flow, so you heal slower. He's right!!!! I also had a breast reduction and well that has turned out great, but i think i may have been shorted, but not sure til i go bra shopping.Well i go back in 4 days and will update my post. KIM
Yes I wonder also who was your Dr.?
Where did you have your procedure done?
I had full tt 3 weeks and 5 days ago. i have an infection in my belly button and the top of my belly button has not attached properly, I have been given silver sheets and antibiotics, i still cant stand up straight. I was in shocking pain for 2 weeks and have not been able to get back to work yet. I have an appointment with the ps in 4 days time to discuss whether or not to re-stitch the offending belly button. All i can say is that so far its been hell, the smell from the infection was shocking, all this over christmas time made things worse and stress levels went through the roof. My belly button is puckered at the bottom and my tummy is very swollen. if anyone asked my opinion i would say at this point its not been worth it.
My incision has healed but I am not at all happy with the way it looks. It has some thick areas, my abdomen still protrudes some and the scar is way too high up on my hips. Hope things get better for you too. At least I am feeling back to normal. Hope you will too!
I am also in the same boat as everyone else on this page, I have a quarter size hole on my incision and looks like it is only going to get bigger. I too am freaking out and my doctor is as nonchalant about it as all your doctors seem to be so I was wondering how long it took for you to heal?
how do you look now and feel about tummy tuck now that you have held. Are you happy with it now???
Just wondering if you could update on your progress? Has your incision healed or is it still open? I had my tummy tuck and lipo 2 weeks ago today and I am having the exact same issue. It is very anxiety provoking and I was not expecting this type of complication. I finished a round of Keflex yesterday and I am seeing my surgeon today for follow-up. I hope your recovery is going much better now. Best wishes.
Hello I was just wondering if you or any of the other woman were smokers. I am scheduled next week for my FTT and Lipo on flanks and abdoman. I ask you this because I too have read about this and now worried about myself.So i mentioned my concerns about this to my PS and he said in 27 years of him doing these surgeries that the only patients he had problems with in this situation was the smokers so far, that actually told him they stopped but really had not. I am not a smoker but still worry.
No, I am not a smoker and never have been. I had no risk factors that I know of. I am young, healthy, and fit. This was a completely unexpected complication which hopefully will resolve soon. My infection is gone and my surgeon believes that the area will heal well on its own, it will just take a few weeks. Best of luck to you.
Hello again, I just seen where i got the reply from you. I did have my full TT and Lipo on abdomin and flanks and muscle tightening on Sept 17th and so far it has been good. I am almost 3 weeks out. Only concern I have is that I have a area on my left side of my abdomin that is a hard like knot that is about 2-3 inch long and 1-2 inch wide that is hard like. I went back for 2 week check up and surgeon told me it was from Lipo and nothing to worry about it will eventually go away and that it prolly was there all along after surgery but I had not felt it because my tummy was swollen and had at this point gone down enough for me to feel it. I trust my surgeon and love his work and he is at my service everytime I call so I trust this will resolve itself. I just still worry about it because thats what I always do...worry. lol. Have you had a situation like this or heard of it ? I hope by now your situation is completely resolved.
Hi.. This goes out to everyone and I hope it helps. I had a TT also and I had different spots or sections 5-6 across my scar that would just not close. The beginning part of my problem was because the pressure of fluid behind my scar was keeping it open. So on two different occations, he drain spots. But.. what he gave me to put on my spots which was fabulous!!! Most of the sections heald in days. Yes a couple of days... It is silver antibacterial patches. Very, very expensive.. My docter gave them to me. They are originaly used for burn patients and major surgery. They are fabulous.. and I heald just find, although I did not have an infection, he never even took a sample. I guess the swelling and pressure was too much. Good luck...
You ladies got me concerned now. Next week will be my 3rd week after the TT and I really hope I don't develop what you ladies talked about. I'm a great believer of herbal medicines and I suggest that you ladies go and buy Arnica. This plant helps with the closing of scars. I feel that it's been helping me a lot.
Just an update for you. It does sound like we are having the same problem and my wound culture results came back on Friday. The infection is e-coli bacteria and it's preventing the wound from closing. Keflex won't work on it so they prescribed a stronger antibiotic and hopefully it will start to heal properly. My incision has never been uncovered at home and to this day I have never even touched it. I have been seeing my doctor 2x a week since the surgery to have my dressings and tape changed and can only assume that during one of those appointments someone might not have washed their hands and contaminated the incision. Who knows what happened but I hope that they can fix it now and I will finally heal and be happy with my results. I just wanted to let you know so that in case you do have the same problem, you can get new meds and hopefully start healing as well. Good luck!