Tummy Tuck with Type 1 Diabetes

I finally booked my appointment for July 31st. The...

I finally booked my appointment for July 31st. The surgery was performed at an outpatient center close to Brandon Hospital.

I am very please with my result so far. I am 11 days out and still a little swollen. For me, taking out the drains was the worst part. They were removed 6 days after the surgery, which was performed on the 31st of July. I will keep posting updates and pictures for those of you who live in the Tampa area and wish to go to someone who is recommended.

I started back to work on 8/10, only 10 days after the procedure. I hope to only hear of posts like mine in the future and wish everyone great results!!!

OH YEAH...no more tattoo

Updated on Aug 24, 2009:

Another Update @ 3 1/2 weeks

I went to the doc this am for my 3rd post op visit. He removed the surgical tape, and was actually quite surprised it was still on there. He had to remove 2 stitches that were poking through. He also thought since there is quite a bit of swelling down at the incision site that there might be some fluid buildup. He tried several times, to remove it with a needle, but nothing came out. He did re-assure me that it will go down and said that swelling last anywhere from 6weeks to 3 months. My next appt will be in 4 weeks. He also recommended to either use Maderma for OTC, or something they sell at the office that was prescription strength, called Kelocote. He explained that most people who use Kelocote after a TT get the spray instead of the lotion. I know you can find them both on the internet for alot cheaper than in stores.

Last week I thought I would never stand up straight again. Luckily, I am. My doctor also said I no longer need to wear the binder, he just suggested some of the support underwear and maybe even tank that hold you in. I am guessing, if you are looking into a tummy tuck, you may have pleanty of those already in your drawers.

I know some of you will not be totally please with result like mine, particularly because of the stretch marks. Although they were not high on my wish list, I am learning to love them. After all, not everyone can be as GEARGEOUS as you.

Last, but not least, I want to wish everyone a speady recovery. And for those who do decide to get a procedure done, make sure to come back to this website and share your experience, and please, please, please DO NOT forget to post pictures.

OMG! Thank you so much for posting this! I'm type 1 and wanting a tummy tuck, arm lift and inner thigh lift, but I can seem to find a surgeon who will do it. I'm also a nurse. What was your A1c at the time you had surgery and how were your blood sugars? You look amazing and I'm jealous you have a pump!
Thanks for the info. It's actually my endo NP who suggested I look into getting it done about 6 months ago since I have so much skin and scar tissue from not rotating injections sites for 16 years. Hence, I have learned the hard way how important it is to teach people from day 1 how important site rotation is. I have lost 103 lbs and maintained it for the past year, so the scar tissue has become a bigger issue - it now protrudes and the excess skin just hangs down. I haven't been able to wear my sites in my abdomen due to this. My PS thinks now is the perfect time to get this done because my diabetes is well controlled and I don't have any other health issues. My endo likes to keep my A1C around 6 because I'm so active and he doesn't want me getting so many lows. During my half marathon training time of year (fall), he even lets me run a little higher - up to 6.5. Also good to find out about the running. I have a half marathon I do in January and I'm still hoping to do it next year.

I tend to get over paranoid about things.I don't even like to take medicine and here I am doing this. It just makes me nervous with the wound healing, but I think that's just anyone. Both my mom and I are nurses and she is going to be taking care of me afterwards, so at least we understand the importance of proper "wound care".
It is important also for me to mention that my endocrinologist was not a big fan of my idea to have the surgery. She said I would have too much scar tissue in my abdomen after surgery and it would be worse than the sagging skin and stretch marks I was already dealing with and I ended up having to change practices because of it. She is totally wrong and I have been able to get infusion sites to work on my abdomen post-op without any issues from absorption or scar tissue. I have not been wearing my pump on my abdomen very much after surgery anyway, and have decided to try alternative sites to wear my infusion sets. Legs/hip/upper buttocks are working very well for me right now. A positive attitude and healthy lifestyle are the most important things going into your surgery, and will help you get back on your feet in no time. Three months post-op for me now, I'm back to running distance races and gearing up for a half-marathon this fall.

Here is a more recent pic

Pic taken 5/28/2013.
No problems to date, healed well.

I am so glad to finally read about someones experience having a tummy tuck and being a type 1 diabetic. Since it has been a few years since you have had it done, will you please take pity on me and tell me how/if you have been about to keep your cute shape AFTER it was done. Im having mine in about a week and Im just really concerned that with being diabetic, my tummy will bubble up again. Please Help!
I am still very happy I opted to get the tummy tuck. The doctor will remove the extra fat and skin you have now, but you will ultimately be responsible for the upkeep. I have since had a breast augment with the same doctor.
Are you still happy with your results.
Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Minimal pain. Very pleased with the result and aftercare so far. Highly managable for those with well controlled Diabetes.