Tummy Tuck with Type 1 Diabetes

I finally booked my appointment for July 31st. The...

I finally booked my appointment for July 31st. The surgery was performed at an outpatient center close to Brandon Hospital.

I am very please with my result so far. I am 11 days out and still a little swollen. For me, taking out the drains was the worst part. They were removed 6 days after the surgery, which was performed on the 31st of July. I will keep posting updates and pictures for those of you who live in the Tampa area and wish to go to someone who is recommended.

I started back to work on 8/10, only 10 days after the procedure. I hope to only hear of posts like mine in the future and wish everyone great results!!!

OH YEAH...no more tattoo

Updated on Aug 24, 2009:

Another Update @ 3 1/2 weeks

I went to the doc this am for my 3rd post op visit. He removed the surgical tape, and was actually quite surprised it was still on there. He had to remove 2 stitches that were poking through. He also thought since there is quite a bit of swelling down at the incision site that there might be some fluid buildup. He tried several times, to remove it with a needle, but nothing came out. He did re-assure me that it will go down and said that swelling last anywhere from 6weeks to 3 months. My next appt will be in 4 weeks. He also recommended to either use Maderma for OTC, or something they sell at the office that was prescription strength, called Kelocote. He explained that most people who use Kelocote after a TT get the spray instead of the lotion. I know you can find them both on the internet for alot cheaper than in stores.

Last week I thought I would never stand up straight again. Luckily, I am. My doctor also said I no longer need to wear the binder, he just suggested some of the support underwear and maybe even tank that hold you in. I am guessing, if you are looking into a tummy tuck, you may have pleanty of those already in your drawers.

I know some of you will not be totally please with result like mine, particularly because of the stretch marks. Although they were not high on my wish list, I am learning to love them. After all, not everyone can be as GEARGEOUS as you.

Last, but not least, I want to wish everyone a speady recovery. And for those who do decide to get a procedure done, make sure to come back to this website and share your experience, and please, please, please DO NOT forget to post pictures.

Here is a more recent pic

Pic taken 5/28/2013.
No problems to date, healed well.
Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Minimal pain. Very pleased with the result and aftercare so far. Highly managable for those with well controlled Diabetes.

Are you still happy with your results.
Wow! That's beautiful scaring and approximation! So glad it healed well for you! You look amazing!
OMG! Thank you so much for posting this! I'm type 1 and wanting a tummy tuck, arm lift and inner thigh lift, but I can seem to find a surgeon who will do it. I'm also a nurse. What was your A1c at the time you had surgery and how were your blood sugars? You look amazing and I'm jealous you have a pump!
Thanks for the info. It's actually my endo NP who suggested I look into getting it done about 6 months ago since I have so much skin and scar tissue from not rotating injections sites for 16 years. Hence, I have learned the hard way how important it is to teach people from day 1 how important site rotation is. I have lost 103 lbs and maintained it for the past year, so the scar tissue has become a bigger issue - it now protrudes and the excess skin just hangs down. I haven't been able to wear my sites in my abdomen due to this. My PS thinks now is the perfect time to get this done because my diabetes is well controlled and I don't have any other health issues. My endo likes to keep my A1C around 6 because I'm so active and he doesn't want me getting so many lows. During my half marathon training time of year (fall), he even lets me run a little higher - up to 6.5. Also good to find out about the running. I have a half marathon I do in January and I'm still hoping to do it next year.

I tend to get over paranoid about things.I don't even like to take medicine and here I am doing this. It just makes me nervous with the wound healing, but I think that's just anyone. Both my mom and I are nurses and she is going to be taking care of me afterwards, so at least we understand the importance of proper "wound care".
It is important also for me to mention that my endocrinologist was not a big fan of my idea to have the surgery. She said I would have too much scar tissue in my abdomen after surgery and it would be worse than the sagging skin and stretch marks I was already dealing with and I ended up having to change practices because of it. She is totally wrong and I have been able to get infusion sites to work on my abdomen post-op without any issues from absorption or scar tissue. I have not been wearing my pump on my abdomen very much after surgery anyway, and have decided to try alternative sites to wear my infusion sets. Legs/hip/upper buttocks are working very well for me right now. A positive attitude and healthy lifestyle are the most important things going into your surgery, and will help you get back on your feet in no time. Three months post-op for me now, I'm back to running distance races and gearing up for a half-marathon this fall.
Hi hollyjanelle! I ended up having my TT on Feb 28th and have healed wonderfully with no complications. I kept my pump on for my surgery, and made sure my blood sugar was over 150 pre-op for my own comfort. I wanted to run a little higher so I didn't risk being low while I was under. I was a little high after surgery (220) but came down easily with a bolus when I woke afterward. Best wishes to you for your upcoming surgery! It is going to be life-changing :0)
I see this it has been awhile since you posted, but I just came across this post. I myself am a T1 who wears a pump. I am scheduled on July 3rd for a full TT and I was wondering about wearing the pump during surgery myself. I'm sure he will tell me in pre-op, but I was just trying to be prepared. It's great to hear other people having it done with T1. And having a great attitude about the process.
Thank you for sharing your story! It's been a few years now and I wonder if you might post some more updated pics :). I have been living with T1 diabetes since I was 5 years old, and now after two kids and years of injections and pump sites on my abdomen, I am looking into abdominoplasty. I wondered if it might be difficult to get a doctor to perform it due to my diabetes, but glad to see that it's possible! How has your absorption been since your surgery? I wonder about these things, as I will have to eventually put my insulin pump on in that area.
I can post a few updated pictures for you, forgot my login and need to bring the camera to work so it might take a few days.
I just recently went back to injections because of absorption issues, dont think it really had anything to do with the TT though since, the insulin would not absorb when I placed the pump site on my thigh either.
If your sugars are in control, you should not have a problem getting a doctor to porform the surgery. I had several consults with different doctors and noone refused to do it.
I am also a type 1 with an insulin pump. I am seriously thinking of having a TT. Did you wear your pump during surgery? How was your blood sugars afterward? Do you have any updated pictures?
I just recently had my TT on November 10, 2010. The procedure went well. I disconnected my pump during the procedure, however, I was constantly monitored through the procedure. The highest I got was about 169. No insulin was given to me. My drains are still in and today is November 23, 2010. For some reason I retained a little more fluid. Just keep in mind that some diabetics take a longer time to heal.Other than that, I am doing great. I returned to work on 11 days later. Make sure you wear your bondage!
Your results are impressive! Your photos motivate me. What was your height and weight prior to the procedure?
Wow you look amazing!!! I am considering having a tummy tuck in January (waiting till Jan due to needing to have revisional surgery from breast lift and augmentation in June) Neways, I would only be able to take off 11 to 17 days. I thought this would be enough time but lately I've been reading how unbearable the pain is and how long recovery is. Reading your story gives me hope. =) Please keep us updated.
I had my FTT the same day as you! You're looking great...I can tell you're being a good girl and wearing your compression garment (tell-tale compression marks on tummy). I see so many people online complaining about their results, and you can tell by their pictures that they are not being compliant with the compression garment. I don't know how you feel, but I feel like I just paid over 10K for an elective procedure...I'm doing whatever my doctor tells me to do right down to the letter. I want the best outcome possible! I hope you'll keep posting updated pics. I just posted mine from weeks one and two. Good luck with your continued recovery; you look great!