Swollen Lower Eyelids After Botox

First of all, my review isn't about my overall...

First of all, my review isn't about my overall dissatisfaction with Botox, but rather my unhappiness with a side effect of the treatment I'm experiencing.

I'm a 26 year old female who received Botox injections almost three weeks ago on my lower eyelids and forehead. I've had Botox several times before this, loved it and never have had any problems. However, this was the first time I've received injections under my eyes, which I initially thought I needed due to some fine lines appearing as I smile. My PS placed two units under each eye, and I thought it would be uneventful as it always is each time I have it injected.

Four days afterwards, however, my lower eyelids became abnormally puffy.

After a visit w/ an ophthalmologist, she ruled out any eye infections and prescribed a course of steroids for periorbital edema, which helped bring down the puffiness tremendously. As soon as I finished the steroids though, my eyes puffed up again.

Could I just be one of the rare people who is hypersensitive to Botox? Is it possible the puffiness under my eyes is permanent, or will my eyes return to normal after the Botox wears off?

Gabsr;

How are you eyelids now? I had Botox 1 week ago, still feel sick & have puffy eye lids. I'm hoping it goes away.
Hi.....this is horrible!!! I had mine done 3 weeks ago and the puffiness is unbelievable!!! I had 10 units placed at the top of my nose. I just want to know if this will ever go away???? I've read some of the comments here about permanent damage???? Please....is anyone back to normal completely???? How long?
This thread is very old, but do you remember when it went away? I also had injections in between my eyebrows, and now my right eye is puffy and swollen looking, as well as excessive tearing. :(
I have been using redness reliever drops once in the morning, plus keeping my head elevated at night. The last 2 days after doing this , my puffiness is definitely reduced. Thank god the eyebrow droop is not more severe. I will not be doing Botox again. Too risky. Facial exercises, creams, retin- a will be it for me. I will be keeping my head elevated every night for next couple weeks to avoid excess eye swelling. I think from reading tons of testimonials that the "permanent" damage people get is due to the skin changing from the edema and the muscles atrophying.
Naturefish, it's really hard to tell if my eyes got wrinklier afterwards. I've always had a problem with crepey skin, but I try to keep the aging process at bay w/ a copious usage of retinoids, microdermabrasian and light peels. I struggled with fine lines even before I got Botox!!! My skin is so thin and sensitive under my eyelids!
Oh, and BTW....I never had hollows under my eyes until I experienced my Botox drama as detailed above in my review. Whether it's just plain coincidence, aging or whatever, I got serious hollows under both eyes after the puffiness abated from the Botox. Luckily, Restylane fixes that!!
I had Botox done on my lower eyelids three weeks ago. My doctor injected one unit on each eyelid, and three days later my lower eyelids became very puffy. Even three weeks later, they remain puffy. Sunshine, did the puffiness completely go away? How long did it take for swelling to go away? Did your skin under the eyes become wrinklier afterwards? I would greatly appreciate your answer.
OMG.....just got Botox under my eyes for the first time. I have been getting Botox on my brow and for crows feet for some time and have been happy with the results, but I got a new doc, supposedly an amazing hot shot Derm, and he talked me into doing my lids, so I did. I totally trusted him. I got a blood blister from the injection site on my right eye which hurt like hell and is still fading away after nearly a week. It was very puffy under that blister as well. The other eye was less puffy. But you mentioned the "wrinkly" thing and I have to say, YES!!! My eyes look 10 x more wrinkled under the eyes! What they hell???!! Wasn't this supposed to make the under eye area look better? Younger? More refreshed?!!! I look ten years older!! I am pissed off beyond belief.
I had botox done on my lower eyelids about a week ago. The last 2-3 days, I've noticed puffiness under one eye. I had very small crowsfeet and it seems that is where most of the botox was injected vs the wrinkles or crinkles under my eyes, which is what I wanted to minimize. Now when I smile, I have a small bulge of fluid that makes my one eye look tired. Is there other alternatives to minimizing wrinkles that may not have the same side effects as botox?

yes for everyoneDYSPORT is much more effective and less side effects I'm 26also live in the twincities and suggest dyspirt if ur body can't handle botox there different manufacturers but for the same thing

The puffiness is almost gone, along with the effects of the botox! I feel like my eyes are 95% back to normal, which is good considering my botox trauma.:) Just wanted to let everyone know...don't lose hope!
Hi Sunshine - glad to hear you are back to normal! It gives us all hope. I am heading into week 13 of the botox trauma and my lower eyelids are still very puffy. They seem to be getting a bit better (which is welcome news) but I have a feeling it will be a long time before they look normal. Fingers crossed this horror will be over by Christmas. Cheers
Just wanted to give everyone an update with respect to my initial injections. I got Botox on 8/4/09, and my lower eyelid puffiness began on 8/7/09 as the Botox was setting in my face. We aren't just talking about minimal morning edema - it was "I've been crying for six hours straight" puffiness. After being extremely puffy for a week,I saw an ophthalamologist on 8/14/09. I was prescribed Prednisone (sp?), a tapering steroid pill regimen of six days. Puffiness was pretty much resolved at that point,but slowly returned upon finishing the pills. Waited another two weeks, saw ANOTHER ophthalamogist (the first one was kinda judgmental re: getting Botox in the first place, hence my lack of follow-up visits) and was prescribed mild steroid/cortisol eye drops for the puffiness. The puffiness went away completely (yay!!) but has slowly returned since I stopped the drops. Due to the nature of steroids (and their effect on the eyes), it's apparently not safe to do the drops long-term. Anyway, just doing lymphatic massage gently around my eyelids, which has slightly helped; witch hazel and all these numerous puffy eye creams on the market have NOT helped! Just trying to wait this out. However, the good thing is that they are slowly and surely going down in size....but this is such a slow process!!!! I'm hoping this trend continues as my Botox begins to wear off (I only had 13 units placed in my face total) and that this isn't something I'm going to be dealing w/ on a permanent basis. Only time will tell...
Oh I understand PUFFINESS under the eye! Goodness, botox can cause some horror results, can't it? And they last such a long time especially when you are desperate for any improvement. I agree with you, only time will tell. I am ten weeks in and only just starting to see some improvement. I am terrified that it will 'unimprove'!
Hiya Sunshine - unfortunately I did my botox research AFTER my current diabolical result. I wish I done all of this research BEFORE then I would have known that no way should botox ever go under my eyes especially directly under the lower lash. I am prone to puffiness under the eyes so this is the WORST place to put botox for me and the current state of my face is living proof of that. However, I trusted the doctor to know what she was doing, which in hindsight was the greatest error of all. I have been speaking with Learning and she has had some success with manual lymphatic drainage for the puffiness under her eyes. I am using my Tua Viso on my cheek muscles (because some of them still work) and it is helping with the puffiness a bit. The eye muscles work as a pump to get rid of the excess fluid and when they are paralysed the fluid can't clear. Other people have tried acupuncture with some success as well. Avoiding salt might be a good idea too. Keep us updated as to your progress. Cheers
Wow....- "If the tone in the lower eyelid is poor, you need to stop, because if you inject Botox there, you will wind up with poor muscle activity, poor lymphatic drainage and there will be a fullness in the lower eyelid." - Vince Bertucci, M.D. I wish I would have known this before I ever got Botox under my eyes? Has anyone tried doing any treatments to aid lymphatic drainage?
Wow indeed.
Where exactly did the injector put the botox "under your eye"? Was it directly under your lower lashes? This can cause puffiness under the eyes also. Lots of us are in the same boat (see Chloerose's Jabba the Hut post too!) and have done lots of investigating so give us some more info and we will try to help.
My PS did two injections (one unit each)under each eye. It was mainly at the tear trough-lower eyelid/check junction area. It's been 3 1/2 weeks, and the puffiness has gone down, but I'm still puffy! When I saw an ophthalmologist two weeks ago, I had asked whether or not my under eye muscle was so relaxed from the Botox so it was causing it to bulge - however, when she pressed down on my under eye lids, she concluded it was edema. I just hope it goes down! I feel like it's aged me 10 years. :(
I agree it is hard to tell the difference between oedema (excuse all of my Australian spelling) and pseudo-herniation of fat pads under the eyes. Apparently, oedema looks the about the same when you are looking straight ahead as when your eyes are in looking up. However, herniated fat pads look much worse when eyes are looking upwards (bulge out more). Also, did your PS do a "snap test" on your lower eye lid before giving you the botox under your eyes. This may be the underlying issue (whether your puffiness is oedema or fat) - see http://www.dailydermpearls.com/Fillers%20&%20Botox/Bertucci%20snap%20test.htm I too have aged 10 years from the "magical fountain of youth" (ha, ha) that you expect from botox. Last Friday it was 7 weeks for me and there is a SMALL reduction in the puffiness. Good grief! Will this never go away???!
Hi Sunshine26 - have a look at some of the posts and reviews from other RealSelf members like myself, Beth F, Amaxy, Penelope, Learning etc. Puffiness under the eyes from botox for crows feet seems pretty common actually. I don't think you are hypersensitive to the product. Do your cheeks puff out when you smile creating a chipmunk-look (almost like they are swollen)? It appears to happen when the botox for crows feet is injected too low under the eye and too close in towards the nose. The lower eye muscle becomes overweakened and the fat pads that are usually held back by a strong eye muscle bulge out. Hope this info helps. Let us know how you are doing. Cheers.
Well, what's interesting is that my PS did not inject my crow's feet....he only injected my eyelid skin about 1/2 an inch from my lash line. My cheeks aren't puffing out, but I feel like the fat pads in my eyes are more noticeable now since I had this done. Never again will I Botox my eyes...so not worth it!