Ugly Red Neck Scar

I had hyperparathyroid surgery over three years...

I had hyperparathyroid surgery over three years ago and ever since I have a 3.5 inch visible scar on my neck. The unfortunate part about it beyond the scar itself is that the surgeon never found the abnormal gland after a seven hour surgery. You can imagine that I was devastated.

I have tried all kinds of laser therapies (fraxel, PDL, IPL, 1024 nm, etc...) but none have worked to my liking. Furthermore, I have tried various topical solutions (Mederma, Bio-oil, Transdermis, Aloe Vera, Kelo-cote, cocoa butter, etc...), which do not seem to work at all. The only thing that has worked to a minimal extent were steroid injections, which worked to flatten the hypertrophic scar. However, the scar is still noticeably red and the texture is not to my liking.

I saw a plastic surgeon in Palo Alto in late 2008 and he told me that if he does scar revision, that there is only a 20% chance that it would be slightly better and 75% chance that it would probably look the same. He said the neck, due to constant muscle tension, may have played a role in causing the enlarged scar. That is not the risk that I'd like to take at this time.

Are there any treatments that would actually work?

If you have any neck surgery and are concerned about the aesthetics, consider endoscopic means.

I have had the same surgery as AngelDemon23, i had an enlarged thyroid and had it entirely removed, it left me with an angry red thick rubbery scar, still 5 years in the redness has only reduced by 50%. I have had laser which made it worse, many steriod injections which hav flattened it well, i had scar revision but failed. I now cover it using green mineral powder, its AMAZING. Only costs a couple of pounds online ( i got on ebay) but the green powder dissolves into the redness reducing its appearance greatly, i combine this with fair mineral powder also to complete, but it stays on for days, even through showering. I think thats the best we can do out of a crappy situation. Hope it helps xx
I just had my thyroid surgery August 12th and I have been using biocorneum gel my surgeon recommended  my scar seems less red.it does work, you can buy it from Amazon it's less cheaper
h
i have a 3 months old scars caused by chicken pocks.then it looks like a hole.or should i say deep scars.then i'am using CONTRACTUBEX. is it possible that my scars will close or come back to its natural looks?? help me,,here is my facebook. Bluexlester@facebook.com
I have one-year-old scars on my abdomen that were very red. Exactly one month ago I had v-beam laser for the redness. It definitely helped, now the scars are light pink/purplish. Immediately after treatment your skin turns dark purple, like a port-wine stain, then it gradually lightens over a couple of weeks. The scars are still visible, but don't look so angry. I only felt the slightest of stings and was not sore after, but my dermatologist is very conservative and the belly is not as sensitive as the neck.
good luck...I hope it gets better!
Thanks! It has.. just needs to take time.
One of the only things that works to help improve the thickness , texture and color of hypertrophic scars and keloids are siliocne scar sheets. You can get them from your surgeon or there is one kind of professional grade siliocne sheet avaialble over the counter at Walgreens called ScarAway. I have used them in the past with amazing results. Siliocne scar bandages are very easy to use. Wear yours at night while sleeping and use the silicone gel during the day...or if you want to cover it up during the day you can wear the sheet during the day.
Yeah, I have also tried silicon gel sheets. I think those have had a little effect in terms of the softening of the scarring but not major. I have tried almost every major off the counter brand, and the only one that had any slight result was Mederma.
Interesting and important information. It is really beneficial for us. Thanks
scar-treatment-research.com

I have a scar on my neck, from a trach, it looks terrible to me, people say its not really noticeable but, it is to me, what should I do? Sara

I have had the same experience with a scar on my arm. I had steroid injections x 4, laser treatment, scar revision, and kelocote. My scar is still present and red. I think some people tend to scar worse and there is nothing that can be done to make it appear better.
Yeah, I agree. Treatment for scars has not gotten to the point where it is a surefire way for every case.
found it http://www.mccolloughplasticsurgery.com/procedures/scarrevision.html
Denise Lindley If you do get her scar revised ask them about doing it in a Z pattern...You can research online but on the forhead it's best for a scar that is vertical....because it rests in the natural creases.... There is a good example of a girl with a similiar scar in Gaylon McColloughs book and may be on his website.. The McCollough Institute
Great news I wonder if they are using growth factors/stem cells ect...
I believe there is on going research in the field of scarless healing. I went to a Stanford head and neck surgeon in Palo Alto and he said hopefully that in 3 years or so, a treatment/technology will exist to ameliorate people who have scars on their bodies. One of the doctors currently doing the research in Stanford is Dr. Geoffrey Gurtner. One private company doing research is Renovo. I am hoping that this 'cure' for scars will be available soon.
When they revise it they stitch it in a special way so it is flat to the surface..She will have a thin line that will fade over time especially if she uses retina a merderma ect and she can cover with concealer.. When it's raised or indented it's will be harder to cover with makeup when she is older..If it's still there... Most insurance will cover it since it's on her face... If decide to do,, it's important to use tape or steri strips to keep it flat,even and close together so it doesn't widen if it's in a place with tension or movement.. They have skin tone tape paper tape at drugstores that is amazing for this and you can barely tell you have tape on.. If your hesitant Just retina will help a lot with the tape worn at night it might smooth the indention... Good luck
Hi awalk, Can you give instructions about "Just retina will help a lot with the tape worn at night it might smooth the indention.." Do you mean that I could use Retin A on the scar at night (onlly nights?), and right after applying it, I should cover the same scar with tape, but which tape?, the skin colored one, or the surgical tape (strong steri strips) or the Johnson & Johnson first aid healing adhesive pads?
Thank you so much for your response "awalk". I am just so worried that if they starting playing with it...it may get worse. I was hoping that as she aged technology would exist that would completely make the scar invisible. But with that being said, I think I am a point where I have to do something.....she has become so self-conscious of it. again thanks for your advice...
Regarding your daughter find a plastic surgeon in your area to redo the incision if it is wide... Depending on the width or severity of it you could try Retina A over time you would see improvement or Aldara the skin cancer cream that is an immune modifier It makes your body’s own immune system attack abnormal cells and replace them with new ones.... I would suggest posting a good picture and seeing what the plastic surgeons on this site suggest.... Good luck Whatever you do I would do it now while she is young because regardless of what you chose the healing is better,,,,,,,,,, she has a better chance of scar less healing....Studies show that babies and embryos don't scar like adults... If she has it revised the importance of aftercare should be stressed
My 14 year old daughter has had a scar on her face since age 7. The scar is about 6 inches & vertical in length and just about her right eye. My daughter is now feeling very self conscious about it. I want to find the best procedure for her. I don't know if there is anything that will actually work or significantly help the reduction in appearance of the scar? It is very noticeable because it is almost in the middle of her forehead...vertical. Anyone with any advice we be greatly appreciated....suggestions regarding surgery. Her initial injury required 6 stitches which, once removed, had to be put back for the second time(which of course resulted in the scar looking even worse). The scar appears wide and to have healed inwardly regarding the rest of her skin surface. Open to any suggestions. Thank you....concerned Mom!!
I had my thyroid out almost two years ago and have a terrible scar too. It is still very red. I have tried every cream. What I do find helps a bit is zinc oxide cream. It does help to reduce the redness.
I had a scar similiar on my chest that I had revised because it pulled apart and appeared wider.... The doc was right about the neck...But with carful after care you could get much better results... After you have your stitches removed you have to put strong steri strips vertical to hold the skin tight and give it support....You can buy them at a drug store the white.clear surgical tape ones.....Nexcare sells them.. Then silicone or an Advanced care bandage horizontal covered with skin tone paper tape..I used and loved Johnson and Johnson First Aid Advanced healing adhesive pads..AMAZING!!!! I used TNS recovery under the pad and had almost scarless healing..Never experienced such dramatic result from a bandage or silicone sheet...I'll say it again The pads are AMAZING...and a box of 4 is only $8 compared to $40 for one silicone that doesn't work nearly as well... Feel free to email me if you have questions...Good Luck Make sure you use the strong steri strips hold one side with you finger and pull the tension up and out where your neck movement would pull the incision apart after stitches are out... Eliminate the tension on the wound from movement by using the strips for a month or so after.. Also TNS recovery serum is amazing and worth every penny for preventing a scar....I used it even with the stitches WOW