Ugly Red Neck Scar

I had hyperparathyroid surgery over three years...

I had hyperparathyroid surgery over three years ago and ever since I have a 3.5 inch visible scar on my neck. The unfortunate part about it beyond the scar itself is that the surgeon never found the abnormal gland after a seven hour surgery. You can imagine that I was devastated.

I have tried all kinds of laser therapies (fraxel, PDL, IPL, 1024 nm, etc...) but none have worked to my liking. Furthermore, I have tried various topical solutions (Mederma, Bio-oil, Transdermis, Aloe Vera, Kelo-cote, cocoa butter, etc...), which do not seem to work at all. The only thing that has worked to a minimal extent were steroid injections, which worked to flatten the hypertrophic scar. However, the scar is still noticeably red and the texture is not to my liking.

I saw a plastic surgeon in Palo Alto in late 2008 and he told me that if he does scar revision, that there is only a 20% chance that it would be slightly better and 75% chance that it would probably look the same. He said the neck, due to constant muscle tension, may have played a role in causing the enlarged scar. That is not the risk that I'd like to take at this time.

Are there any treatments that would actually work?

If you have any neck surgery and are concerned about the aesthetics, consider endoscopic means.