Painful Effects of the Veneer Procedure

My dentist failed to explain to me the...

My dentist failed to explain to me the life-altering affect of getting veneers. Right before the procedure, he told me he needed to shave off the bottom of my 4 teeth so that the veneers cement-on stronger.

I didn't realize the painful after-effects. Difficulty chewing. Pain day and night. A temporary plastic film over them, difficulty talking. A huge change in eating habits: no chips, pretzels, bacon, hamburgers, sandwiches, pizza, eggrolls, ice cream, hot/cold drinks, etc. I can't enjoy food now!

I was told about the eating change on my way out the door. I had no idea my teeth would be so sensitive! My job requires public speaking and it's difficult to adjust to the shaved teeth length (affecting speech) and plastic film which makes my mouth feel dry. My veneers aren't even on yet, but I fear the same effects; having to be extra sensitive because of the high cost per tooth ($800 each), with no guarantee on the veneers' life-span! I thought veneers were permanent and it was not explained to me how sensitive they could be until on my way out from the shaving/molding procedure!

Not enough explanation about the life-long effects, nor temporary effects BEFORE the procedure.