Significant Pain/sensitivity After Lipo to Flanks

I had a tummy tuck 7 weeks ago today. My stomach...

I had a tummy tuck 7 weeks ago today. My stomach is exactly what I expected - flat but with a serious scar. Also, had lipo on hips and flanks that appear to be waste of money. My hips haven't changed an inch since surgery and my lovehandles on my back look exactly the same in clothes.

Updated on Oct 4, 2009
I love my tummy tuck but still unsure about the lipo to hips and flanks. At 8 weeks I haven't seen any drop of clothes size and my hips seems to be getting wider!

I had a tummy tuck, lipo on hips, and lipo on flanks 7 weeks ago today. The tummy tuck looks great. The hips and flanks look the same as before. My hips even measure exactly what they did they day before surgery. I've noticed that my stomach, especially around the area of my new belly button, swell up significantly during the day compared to what it looks like when I wake up. Does that sound normal? When can I expect that to subside? Also, the area of my flanks on my lower back are still incredibly painful. They even hurt if someone just touches them to hug me. Does that senstivity sound normal? --- UPDATED October 5, 2009 --- I had a tummy tuck and lipo on hips and flanks 8 weeks ago. At 4 weeks I was thrilled with results. Now at 8 weeks my hips look much larger. How is that possible?

Please tell me that your flanks got better at like 5-6 months. I seem to have the same issues. It has been 9 1/2 weeks and I am ok with my mtt, but the lipo'd areas look the same. They looked better after surgery. I go see the ps in 1 week. He told me at 5 weeks I looked great. I don't see it. And I am STILL in a binder on and off.
I had a tummytuck and lipo to flanks June 28 2012 im still real sore i try wearing my waist garment every day but it has began to hurt on my sides and front part of my tummy i do take it off seems to me the pain is better when off my tummy really look good the flank area is very swollen will take time to heal
How u look now
I just had lipo surgery on inner, outter thighs and knees, 7 days ago I see a little difference, but too much pain right to make an assessment
Your tummy tuck looks good, but check out your hips. Have you gone back to your Dr? I went through lipo on my back and it's worst my flacks look the same
Multiplemom - I wondered if the "multiple" referred to twins or triplets! How old are your twins?? Does your PS know what is going on with your hips? Is it fluid or swelling? Fixing it with a local does sound brutal, although I read somewhere that there is often less pain and swelling with lipo done with a local. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this works out for you. You're a better woman than I am!!
Mom 74 - Did I mention I have twins also! I'm glad you are having good results with your surgery. I had the same issues - just stubborn areas that needed improvement. Also, after several abdominal surgeries, and twins, I need my stomach repaired. Sorry to hear about your back. I had severe (probably a 9 on a 10 scale) for weeks. I couldn't even sit or lean on things. That has all gone away and I hope you experience that relief. My PS has offered to do a fix to my hips and flanks through a local anesthetic. Can you imagine? First of all, not sure it will help and secondly I can't imagine staying awake. Seems I might be stuck with this mess!
multiplemom- I can't tell you how many times I have thought of you since reading your post! I can't imagine being in as much pain as I've been in AND being dissatisfied with the results - I really feel for you. I'm very lucky - it does look like my results are going to be good and I haven't had much swelling at all since week 3. It looks like we are very similar in size (I'm 5'6" 130 lbs) and I wasn't looking to go down any, but had some random fat on my lower abdomen after several abdominal surgeries dating back to my teens. My doctor suggested the lipo for "optimal contouring" and I have to say I regret that part of it. I was 7 weeks yesterday and the nerve pain seems to be getting better, but now I have what feels like a horrible backache in my lower back. It helps to wear my compression garment, but this does have me freaked out. I've never had back pain, even when I carried twins. I did get breast implants, but just went to a full B/small C, which is the size I was before breastfeeding 3 children (I like to think it was re-constructive in nature :)). Anyway, please keep me posted on what the new PS has to say. And thank you for sharing your experience - it has really, really, really helped me.
Mom74 - The lipo of flanks initially (first 4 weeks or so) was so painful that I would jump if my husband even lightly touched my back. It felt like I literally had been kicked by 8 men with work boots on. By week five it felt more like burning but I never had itching. Now, it is just sore as if I had an intense workout with a trainer. It has been an awful experience with no benefits. The tummy tuck is flat but the scar is unreal and uneven. The hips are actually more than an inch larger around and the flanks look exactly the same (in jeans etc. - still have a muffin top). I do have an appt with PS this Monday. Can't wait to hear what he is going to do to fix it. I'll let you know. Hang in there - it does get better. I know you are in pain but does it look like you are going to have a good outcome?
multiplemom - Thank you so much for your reply!! Was your tenderness sort of open/faw and the sometimes with burning and itching pain? I am just wondering how it is determined if nerve damage is permanent. Have you gone back to your PS about the swelling issue? Can you reooperate if neccessary? I had breas augmentation, mini tummy tuck and the liposuction on my flanks and the lipo has been by far the most difficult recovey. Everything I reads says working out by 6 weeks, but I can barely play with my kids right now.
Hi - the flanks have seriously calmed down! I would say they are tender but not painful. Unfortunately they still look big (and I'm not that big to start with - 5'2", 125 lbs). The tummy tuck has had great result. The hips and flanks were expensive, painful, and total disappointment. I hope you have better result.
multiplemom - Just wondering how you're doing? I had breast augmentation, a "mini" tummy tuck and lip of the flanks 5.5 weeks ago and am surprised by how much pain I still have in the flank/lower back region. Would love to know if/when your pain subsided. Thanks!
I"m at 6 weeks and still wearing the full garmet to help to skin tighten back up to the muscle. Looks like it's working
Hey there - I wore a garment for 5 weeks all day/everyday. Then, I switched to spanx during the day. It's been 11-12 weeks now and there's no improvement on the hip issue. They are bigger than before surgery. Nightmare, really
I forgot to mention that you need to wear garmets to keep you tight. Try Spanx or however you spell it. A lot of doctors say wear them for 3 weeks or so but I wore mine for 8 weeks and I still put it on every once in a while. It prevents your fat from forming back unevenly. For the first 8 weeks after lipo you should have never taken them off except to shower!!! No joke there is no exception to that if you want to look good longterm.
I had my procedure May 08. I had Lipo on the inner / outer thighs and flanks and smart lipo on the stomach as well as breast lift and implants. I still have minor sensitivy in the flank area. I will tell you there were times that if I was touched in the flanks it knocked the breath out of me. It goes away over time as the nerve endings heal. As far as your hips... My doctor told me it takes up to a year for your body to truly adjust to liposuction. When you remove significant numbers of fat cells your body is knocked out of homeostasis which is a normal metabolic / fluid level "way of functioning". As a result you body is now trying to figure out what you did and how to fix it. It is so important after lipo to say away from soda and salt. You probably have all the fluid in your hips because you may eat to many foods with sodium. While your body is trying to figure out "normal fluid" levels after you removed fat, if you eat salty foods it is going to retain alot of water. I bet if you truly try to watch your sodium content you will see a big difference in your hips. It took my body a good year to adjust after my procedure and I have found now that I can put weight on quickly if I dont watch the foods I eat and exercise. Lipo is not just a quick fix, you need to maintain the results by taking care of your body so you dont end up looking the way you did before you paid for your procedure. Its not easy... I know! Truly its too early to see you end results, but be careful with salt. A little about me, I was a size 10 before and had over 3 liters of fat removed. I am now a size 8. I weigh the same as I did the day of my surgery.
multiple mom - how are your hips doing? Did they go down? I had lipo on my hips and tummy tuck at the same time I am 13 days post op and my right hip is swollen and it hurts to walk (putting pressure on the right leg).
It's hard to believe that this is your four week and then eight week post op pictures. I want you to know that you are not alone. I am having similar smartlipo reults. I also am over three months post op smartlipo to my upper back and flanks and I have that same sensitivity. Do you have preop pictures you can post? I dont understand whats going on with your hips. Could they be swollen? However, your stomach looks great! I would consider a scar revision for symmetry if I was you. I think it is soon for you to see final results. Swelling may subside and you will look wonderful! It looks like you have a very nice body. I wish you luck!
omg multiplemom you have to go get that checked it looks like fluid build up it's definately not fat but did you have to wear compression garments or anything after? I would get another opionion from a diff doc. Good Luck.
Amy - you will love the tummy tuck. Everyone I know who has had it done has a flat stomach. Honestly, the pain is much easier than flanks. Let me know how it turns out.
Happy to hear that the TT pain is easier than the flanks. So maybe the worst part is over ??? I am almost five weeks out from the lipo and finally had one day (yesterday) where I didn't take a pain pill.
I am so glad that I read this. I am planning to have a tummy tuck in about 5 weeks. I had some agressive lipo done on my hips, flanks, lower back, and belly. The lipo was done 2 weeks ago. I kept hearing of people going back to work a few days after lipo, and I was wondering if something was wrong with me because I am still in so much pain! My flanks and lower back do look very different in clothes, so I am happy about that. I was just wondering why it is taking me so long to heal up. My belly is still pretty swollen, just like you said...significantly during the day compared to what it looks like when I wake up. I was relieved to find someone experiencing something very similar. I, too, was not prepared for the area of my flanks and lower back to be so painful! Even when my husband just touches me lightly. I had no idea my skin would be so sensitive 2 weeks out.
I am 8 weeks post surgery and still have swelling issues and still very sensitive in the lower back. Fortunately it no longer feels like someone with work boots on kicked me for hours but it is still sore.
Amy 376, did you have lipo on your belly before your tummy tuck to get a better tummy tuck result? I've heard about people who have had lipo to their upper abdomen prior to a tummy tuck to achieve a better result. I am curious if thats what you have done.
Yes. I did have lipo in order to thin out the tissues prior to the tummy tuck. This will give a nicer healing of the sutures. It really worked out great. In fact, we almost decided against a full tummy tuck because I may not need it after all. My skin bounced back pretty nicely and it's flat. But because of the stretch marks and unevenness, we are going to go ahead with the tummy tuck in December after all the tissues have softened. I think the results are going to be really great, and I am excited.