Lipoma Removed from Upper-back

I had a good sized lipoma removed from my back. I...

I had a good sized lipoma removed from my back. I had for over 5 years thinking little about it, but it started to bother me.

I was referred by my doctor to a surgeon. It was done in a hospital as an out-patient surgery. They put me totally under and I remember very little, and had almost no pain, just uncomfortable.

The whole thing was covered be insurance and all I had to pay was a $200 co-pay. The only con is the scar it left.

I have been using Mederma regularly since the...

I have been using Mederma regularly since the surgery, but am still not happy with the look of my scar. Anybody have any ideas on what will help lessen the appearance of the scar?

Dr. J. Rayudu M.D.

Had one in same area. No there is nothing that will get rid of scar except lots of time. MEDERMA does not work. Its a waste in my opinion. It will fade a lil over time but will never go away. Its too deep of a cut.
I have one in this same spot. Is there a reason?
I find it strange that this is such a common place for these lipomas
I just had mine removed. Very similar location and size. Had it done by a plastic surgeon in his office with local only. first night kind of painful, second day not as bad a bit tight. today no pain meds needed. I had mine about 7 years and started to have problems with mu neck locking up and numbness in my right arm. Had it removed in Miami by Dr Stephen Mandy located on Washington and 5th South Beach. He said mine was large but the wound is only about 3 inches.
I just had mine removed which was in the same spot on my back. It was maybe 2/3 the size of yours, so smaller, but I had a plastic surgeon do it and I had local anesthesia only (with oral sedatives) and I've been in so much pain. The pain is where the shots were poked into my back to numb me up. There's no swelling or anything but those areas have made all the muscles in that area just very painful. Due to this I would never recommend anyone get a lipoma removed from their back using only local! Get put under or get the lipo to remove it! It's not been fun not being able to move much at all due to the pain and stiffness in that area which is very sensitive. Good luck to everyone with lipomas.
I had the about 5 years ago ad was very displeased with th outcome . I now have a huge scar and the lipoma came back.
Hi
Im an Internal Medicine Doc and recently noted few lipomas on my body. Having very little knowledge about lipomas, I found helpful information on the net. There was several youtube videos showing lipomas being popped out thru very small incisions by various docs. For example a 2-3 cm lipoma will pop out from a 0.5 cm incision. But my surgeon had no idea how to do this until I showed him the youtube video. The message is check the facts yourself and dont assume your surgeon knows, kind of scary but very real
Lipomas are best removed by dermatologist.
General Surgeons are generally not familiar with such minor procedures. A dermatologist generally has a better cosmetic approach.

My boyfriend has had a HARDENED fatty limpoma removed off his spinal cannal. He was in severe pain and had numbness of the hands and feet. After the operation, all the feelings came back in hands and feet and pain deminished. Now a few years later is is back again with a vengence. He is 72 and has to jump through hoops to get surgery. He needs find a surgeon willing to remove this as he is in severe pain and narcotics are not helping anymore. Help...what can we do or is there a surgeon willing to help him, he is willing to sign any waiver of liability to get this done!

Wow, that's quite an ordeal to have to go through. :( You may want to post for advice in the Doctor Q&A Forum too. They can give you their input and perhaps refer you to a specialist who can help your boyfriend.

I dont kno what to do about mine. I have what they call a lipoma except for mines is as hard as a rock and without any types of insurance i cant get a second opinion. We have something here called The Nurse Advice Line and they told me that they generally not supposed to hurt. Well i be in severe pain all the time, and i just don't know what to do.
How do you know its a lipoma ? If its hard it could be a liposarcoma, or just a misdiagnosed cyst. If it hurts and is hard you really need to see a general surgeon and get a biopsy at minimum. I would call around and see if you can get someone to work with you, they will often do a biopsy at a very discounted rate in these situations.
Thank you for sharing your photos. I went to a dermatologist last week for a consultation regarding a lipoma on my back, near my shoulder blade. It is situated exactly in the same location as yours. The dermatologist described a significant scar would remain. Your scar looks pretty good. Since I'm african-american, the doctor thinks there may be residual discoloration. I was wondering why he did not recommend liposuction. That's when I started searching the web and discovered this site. From reading the comments, it appears that only plastic surgeons use liposuction method. Also, all of the tissue is not removed by using liposuction and the tissue can't be sent for pathology.
It looks like a nice, neat job. I have a few scars of various sizes. One long one I have (about 9 inches) that was *stapled* looks the best. It healed up very, very thin. Another one I have (also about 9 inches) was sutured and it's a little ragged. But both of them, after time, have faded quite nicely so that I don't really notice them at all. Yours will fade, and in 18 months you won't notice it either.
wow, your scar looks great.. You should see mine.. much much uglier than yours, mine was also on my upper back, more towards the middle of my spine. I had alot of complications, including where the dr. "accidently" burned me while removing it. So I actually have 2 scars and about 6-8 mth recovery time, from 4 sets of stiches, packing it every single day until it finally closed.. terrible!
im confused,ive had lipoma removal,from upper back near spine,i felt burning in operation,too,have no clue why!had op in london 5 wks ago,bedridden ever since,im experiencing terrible rawness on movement 5 wks on,hurts and pulls,not comfortable!ive gone from being workaholic that travels,to a depressant from having it out.Doc said 1 wk of inconvenience,ive had 5 wks of soreness,DID U???HELP???
hi kkg,im the same as you,had lipoma removed from mid spine,since op,had non-stop soreness,pain from wound area,op done 6 wks ago,im terribly depressed as former bump had no pain,just big 5cm sticking out!Im now having physio,but nothing works.Im fuming my doc said 2 wks of discomfort,ive been bed-ridden from pain,since done.Will the soreness go???Did you take any painkillers??Please help,thanks
same thing here, except mine was a little bigger and right below my shoulder blade.I will take the scar over the lump anyday! Yours is very light.
Hi! I have one right now - looking at getting it removed... similar to the one in the photo, but lower on my back. What kind of doctor/surgeon did you use? Any advice?
In order for it to be covered by my insurance I had to get a referral from my regular Dr. She said there would be a possibility that it would not be covered if I went to a plastic surgeon so I went to a general surgeon. They did just as well, and the scar is kind of unavoidable. With my insurance you just have to make sure you get approval beforehand. All I paid was an office visit copay and then the hospital copay which was $200. The whole thing went very smooth for me. I had very little pain and the scar is much better then the uncomfortable lump that was on my back.