Burned Removing Hair - Albuquerque, NM

I went in July 17,2009 and had did it to remove...

I went in July 17,2009 and had did it to remove hair and now left with white scars that may never go away. I would never go back.

On July 17, 2009 I went and got laser hair removal...

On July 17, 2009 I went and got laser hair removal on my legs. I was tanned on my legs so she should have not did the procedure but she did. It did hurt more then the first time I did it but I thought it was me. When she was done my legs felt like they were on fire. I was left with a redish dark crust and then the skin peeled and left me with white fish scale hypopigmentation that I am told is vitiligo, I can't wear shorts or take the kids swimming.

If anyone know of anything I can do to make this better I would appreciate the advice because I have been crying and depressed since it has happened.

I had the same experience on my shoulders. I am usually pale skinned, but had a slight tan when i had the laser leaving me with white spots. Once everything healed & settled, I exposed my shoulders to the sun. It tanned normally and when the tanned faded the white scaring disappeared.
Omg poor u!! They should have told u to b extra careful w the sun during hair removal. That's y it's always a good idea to do it in the winter. She should have known that. If u tan it will burn ur skin. Anyway I'm not sure as to fix it but until then u can get spray tan to hide it that way you wear shorts in the summer. Maybe try scare treatments like the silicon or laser
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

yeah i totally agree with you, there are many laser hair removal problems . laser hair removing is getting popularity all over the world but side effects of that treatment can not be ignored.

For safe hair removal, go for Sopranos laser- safe, comfortable even for dark skin!
I went to a dermatologist who prescribed a cream, but Im not sure if I should be using it. Did you use anything in the seven months for it?

Thanks so much for getting back to me, this has been a complete nightmare.
Hi Kristelle,

I also got burned, but it's only been two and a half months. My arm looks exactly like your leg, and I wanted to know if you're legs are better now? I am Indian and so my skin is a little darker, but it's more on the light side. I've been crying almost every day now, so I'm hoping I can get positive news on this...

Thanks for reading.
My legs are a lot better you would never know what happened to my legs. I had to wait 7 months with no sun but after I went to a tanning bed for a few weeks and the color came back. I was so happy so it will take time but it will get better I promise
Thanks for the update on your legs. I am so happy for you that it got better. It is reassuring to know that hypopigmentation may not be permanent.
I have the same problem. My legs were burned on my 3rd treatment in Nov 2012. Did someone te u to waot 6 months to tan? I am considering trying the tanning bed this week to see if the hypopigment spots will take the fake sun. I'm so concerned. My husband wants me to sue because I have 20 plus marks on my legs and they look hideous and I would hate for this place to marks up someone like they did to me. Any thoughts, pls share. Thanks. Jenny
Hi, I'm wondering if your white marks went away and if so, what did you do. i was just burned a month ago all over my arms and legs and have similar skin type to you.
Mine finally went away after 8 months. No one could ever tell I had this problem. I didn't do anything except wear long sleeves and avoid any sun exposure. I was lucky in that it happened to me during the colder months (Sept - April). Other than that, I did everything as normal - same soap, same lotion.
I just posted pics of my legs with this very same problem. I am 5 weeks post procedure right now and have been crying and losing sleep over this. Your post and the others have given me done hope! Thank you for posting and I'm happy your spots cleared up.
Thank you so much for this post! I am now 5 weeks post LHR and my lower legs have the exact same crescent shaped white marks all over. I've been severely depressed, crying and having trouble sleeping. Your update has given me hope! Thank you and I'm super happy that your legs cleared up!
I am afraid you will be permanently scarred. You need to see a dermatologist, and possibly a lawyer to see if you can hold the quacks who did this accountable. This is why I recommend never going to anyone other than a doctor for laser hair removal. You don't want someone with a weekend course from a "laser clinic" doing this sort of medical procedure on you.
In most states if not all there must be a doctor overseeing all laser treatments. It's the doctor and the techs fault. I've been a laser tech for 8 years treating on average 8 to 10 patients a day with various lasers. I don't care who you are, it's experience that will make you a great laser tech, not being a doctor.
Amen sister! I've been doing hair removal for 10 years and I see on average about 12 to 15 patients a day with super amazing results just as it sounds you do! Keep up the good work
Have you find a result yet? I just had it done last Thursday 12/10/2009 and I have the same fish scale results.Let me know if you find something. While doing this procedure I told the tech that it was burning like hell and that I rather deliver kids then doing this. She kept saying "You are doing fine, you are doing fine". I was on fire and was holding on for dear life. I ended up with blisters. My doctor who is a plastic surgeon convinced me that everything will be fine. I am worried.
Hi Kristelle, I am very depressed as I have the same problem. I had laser removal on my legs 2 months ago and was left with the same white fish scale scarring. If you did find a solution and saw a difference using any creams or lasers please let me know! I need help too. Also I don't know if I should sue the clinic. I'm very upset with them right now!
I have not found any solution but I was told my another person who had the same problem to go in the sun slowly after 6 months. I am waitimg to try that. I will have to wait until summer when it is hot. I am still trying to decide if I should sue the clinic because I was told by the lawyer I have two years to do it. I am going to wait a year to see what happens and if It does not improve a lot or goes away I am going to sue. Do you have pictures of your legs to sent me? I have been putting vitamin e and lots of lotion. I still get sad when I look at my legs but it is winter here and all I wear is pants right now. This is terrible that this happens because we spend the money to look better and end up worse off. Please let me know what happens we can be here for each other
Hi, I genetically have vitiligo. I had it on the lower half of my face on my back and chest, and my dad's vitiligo progress over his entire body. I was able to treat it with the extrac laser at St. Jude Medical Ctr. and a UVB lamp that I bought from ebay from Israel. Skin pigment comes from your hair follicle and now that that it has been overly killed off you would need melanin from surrounding areas. My friend told me she got some minor white spots that's why I never did it knowing my condition. If you want my help, I can give you more details to help you fix it as much as possible. Let me know.
Yes I would like more details. thank you
hey i commented you a second ago. but i read this on someone elses question page. it was a womans response and figured it could be helpful to you. hb162:Sorry to hear of that problem. It is common among the bottom 60% of operators and among people who ask for so many body parts to be treated per session. When too many areas are treated per visit, inconsistent heat is delivered (much hotter and uncontrolled in 2nd half of treatment), causing side effects, and operators make mental errors during long treatments. Thumb rule for future recipients of treatment: tell the operator you do not want any treatment lasting more than 20 minutes. People make mistakes in the 30th and 40th and 50th minutes of treatments, and the lasers become less consistent. For post-treatment hyperpigmentation, many offices knee-jerk give out aggressive hydroquinone, which is irritating and considered toxic to the liver in many countries. Easier solution (that costs $$): find a local med spa or day spa with a skin care provider who has more than 10 years of experience, and they will likely give you a fix-it plan consisting of many TREATMENTS, not at-home creams. Microderm (not aggressive), JetPeel, light chemical peel, light IPL photorejuvenations, and LED skin rejuvenation treatments are useful. Especially a GOOD L.E.D. make sure you commit to 8-10 visits and be patient...the spots will fade but may take 6-12 months with the help of a good esthetician. hope this helps you
Thanks for the advice. I did do a few other areas before and my legs were last. I will see a skin doctor and see what they tell me.