Laser Hair Removal Left Burns Spots on my Stomach and Bikin Line - Sunset Beach, Ca

Pro: They were right about the % of hair reduction...

Pro: They were right about the % of hair reduction in the areas after the first treatment. Great Price for the Package Deal: 6 Treatments for Upper Back, Full Legs, Lower Arms, Under Arms, and Full Bikini Area for $2700. Good Negotiating.

Con: I was severely burned in my Bikini area and stomach.

I am Vietnamese and not your typical fair skinned one either. I can get really light in the Fall and Winter but when I tan I get very very dark. I think this is where they made their mistake because she looked at my skin which is really light now because I haven't been to the beach in 2 years and probably turned the setting too high.
People of colour or people who tan easy, beware.

I did this to remove my hair and got burn scars! I'd take the hair over these horrendous scars any day! I'm sure things would have gone swell if she had the settings right and all but she didn't. Thankfully I was only burned in 2 of the 5 areas. But now I can't go to the beach or have sex because I look like I have an STD.

The laser hair removal treatment done on my stomach and bikini area were burned. Both areas were very red and hurt for about 2-3 hour after the procedure. After about a day and a half all these circles of burns came up and were reddish maroon. Some had tiny blisters but the funny thing is that the blisters disappeared after a couple of days without ever popping. I put Neosporin on them to keep them moist and eventually they scabbed up and flaked off. Now my entire stomach is left with brown scars, it has been 2 months and they seem to be fading slowly. The Spa gave me an 8% hydroquinone/azelaic acid cream to use. It seemed to help a little however it caused my skin to peel a little. Is that normal? After I finished that they recently gave me a .05% retonoic/10%hydroquinone/1%hydrocortisone cream. Q: Are these scars permanent? Q: If not how long before they completely return to normal? They also have me applying the solution to the entire area of the burns rather than spot treating because there were so many burn circles. Q: Is the cream going to cause me to have a giant white area on my stomach where I am applying the cream?

Do some major research first.

Hi Lvla! I've just come across your post on here and saw I have the same symptoms as you from laser hair removal. I had my bikini line lasered about 2 weeks ago now, it was my first time and its burnt me and brown half round circles have developed which are pretty severe burns I've been told my doctor. It was really sore but now I'm worried about pigmentation issues on my skin. I went back to the laser clinic I had it done at they said it should heel itself!! As you posted this thread in 2009 I wondered if you now have any scaring or pigmentation issues, or has everything recovered and looks normal again. If so how long was he recovery process? Like you I would rather have the hair any day rather than these awful scars. I hope you can help. Thank you, Rebecca.
Hi, wondering if yours have gotten any better?
Can you tell me if yours have healed?
Hi, They have completely healed. In 2011, there was still some hyperpigmentation. I stayed out of the sun for quite some time so they woukdnt get dark again. Now I am back to normal.
The recovery process took several years. I stayed out of the sun and they eventually healed. I would say they were conpletely healed after 3 years. I have no scarring any more.
3 years eh...wow...did you never show that body part to the sun for 3 years or sunscreen?
I never exposed that body part to the sun during that time period.
i had lazer hair remover done to my tummy 3months ago at first they were purple/maroon circles all over my stomach then peeled off now i have white circles :( im going overseas soon and will be in the sun!! will these white circles tan and even out?
have they?
you may want to be very careful with the hydroquinone... as it is known to cause cancer, hence why the FDA is taking it off the market... as for all the advice here from other doctors, wanting to give you more laser treatments... (be very weary) laser is dangerous, and the doctor that gave you these treatments I am sure made you sign all of your rights away, if by chance he burned you... That should have been your first warning... Sorry that you are going through this...
Is it posible to treat Hypopigmentation after a laser? She used Alexdrite
Hi LVLA. Regarding the hair removal, you may be right that if tan very easily and/or have coarse hair in this area it may not have been the right settings or the right laser. To avoid this problem, we use three different lasers for hair removal and choose the most appropriate one for each skin type, from European all the way to dark African. As for the brown spots, bleaching cream will help, but if you have reached a plateau, consider q-switched laser treatments (not IPL which may make it worse because IPL is not designed for darker skin types either). We have successfully treated some patients in your situation and the cases can be seen at www.celibre.com/scarsba.aspx. We can be reached at 800-958-8604 if you would like to visit us for a free consultation about your situation. Either way, good luck.
I had my hair laser procedure done 2 weeks ago and was left with second degrees burns. What do I need to do to make sure I don't get scars? My skin is now peeling and I am left with pink/red and white areas. How long will this healing process take? I am scared that I will be scarred for life. Should the person that is responsible for these scars fix them? Tx
Did you heal?
You might need an IPL treatment for the brown spots.best,
OMG... You did not go to an experienced Laser Center!! Wow! I had treatments for bikini and below navel and No Redness, No Soreness, Or marks left from my procedure! Ugh! I am sorry but you should always ask what type of laser machine they use and how long they have been doing this type of procedure. Hope the brown spots go away soon.. Go see a Dermatologist!! (Bleaching cream might work) but, you should sue this laser clinic!!
Sorry to hear of that problem. It is common among the bottom 60% of operators and among people who ask for so many body parts to be treated per session. When too many areas are treated per visit, inconsistent heat is delivered (much hotter and uncontrolled in 2nd half of treatment), causing side effects, and operators make mental errors during long treatments. Thumb rule for future recipients of treatment: tell the operator you do not want any treatment lasting more than 20 minutes. People make mistakes in the 30th and 40th and 50th minutes of treatments, and the lasers become less consistent. For post-treatment hyperpigmentation, many offices knee-jerk give out aggressive hydroquinone, which is irritating and considered toxic to the liver in many countries. Easier solution (that costs $$): find a local med spa or day spa with a skin care provider who has more than 10 years of experience, and they will likely give you a fix-it plan consisting of many TREATMENTS, not at-home creams. Microderm (not aggressive), JetPeel, light chemical peel, light IPL photorejuvenations, and LED skin rejuvenation treatments are useful. Especially a GOOD L.E.D. make sure you commit to 8-10 visits and be patient...the spots will fade but may take 6-12 months with the help of a good esthetician.
I agree with you that operator error significantly goes up during longer treatment times but 20 minutes? That's barely enough to do a Brazilian.
Wow... well, to hopefully get rid of the laser scars, have you tried using Mederma Scar Fading cream? Here you can get a coupon, and I heard it works very well, http://www.mederma.com/offers Or you can try using solid cocoa butter, which is similar texture to a chocolate bar except white in color, and you can probably find it at a pharmacy. Massage it on your scar daily. Before you rub any of these on your skin, first use a fine-grain, good-quality exfoliant, you can try Aveda, http://www.aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?ngextredir=1&CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY10697&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5901 Best wishes...
What kind of laser did they use? Do you remember? For Asian skin which tans pretty easily, they should mainly use a specific setting on the diode laser or to be more safe, they should use long-pulse Nd:YAG laser.
They used the light sheer diode on me at level like 34 or something it was set very high.