Jabba the Hut Puffy Eyes After Botox for Glabella Region

I recently went to my provider, a prominent...

I recently went to my provider, a prominent plastic surgeon in the area for treatment of the glabella region only. He also treated the "Charlie Gibson" horizontal line over my nose which is not that prominent but there. I have had this done by him many times before with excellent results. Usually I wait about 6 months between treatments but wanted to look good for my nieces wedding so was retreated at 3-1/2 months.

When I was injected this time I noticed the shots were extremely painful and he seemed to put more botox in the line over my nose. The night of the treatment I could not get to sleep at all and my eyes were actually hurting -- felt very dry and grainy. When I looked in the mirror the next morning I noticed a decided pouch under each eye that I definitely did not have before. My eyes themselves looked irritated red and beady. Over the next three days my eyes grew progressively worse -- the under eye pouches became huge, baggy and very wrinkly and the fat pad above the inside corner of each eye bulged out. My eyelids were also dropped -- my eyes are normally quite wide and large -- now they looked slightly closed and definitely smaller. They were also dry and uncomfortable -- I was using eye drops constantly.

Five days post botox treatment my eyes looked more puffy than ever. Upper eyelid was noticeably drooped and I had huge wrinkly elongated bags under each eye.

Alarmed, I phoned my doctors office only to find he was out for a couple of weeks but his associate would see me that day.

I went in looking for some help or at least compassion and admission that a the botox had gone wrong. Instead, the associate (who does only body work -- no face work) completely blew me off. He admitted my eyes looked very puffy but said it could not possibly be from the botox. I maintained that I believed the botox had seeped into the muscle surrounding my eye causing the puffiness and the fat pads to bulge. He said that could not happen because I had not had my crows feet treated and suggested perhaps I had eaten soy sauce or had an allergic reaction to something. He recommended I see a doctor and ask for "water pills". When I told him I take lasix every day he replied, well I guess that will not help then, sorry hope it goes away but it is not from the botox.

I am absolutely furious not only for my very bad result but especially for the shabby way I was treated -dismissed with little more than an afterthought. I examine my face everyday -- I know I did not have bulging puffy wrinkly eyes before the botox injections. I did not "eat soy sauce" or have an allergic reaction to something else. My baggy wrinkling puffy eyes were definitely the result of the botox injections I had received five days before.

I am sick of these doctors who are so willing to take your money but completely unwilling to take any responsibility when things go terribly wrong. I plan to go back to see the doctor who injected me when he returns from his trip but he too will probably take no blame for the hideous way I look and blow me off as well. It is going to take months for me to return to normal -- if ever and I am just sick about it.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Wow! And to think I thought the droopy lids were because I wore false eyelashes to my daughter's wedding! The make-up person told us all to use oil to take the false eyelashes off and I just let them fall off over a couple of days. I did cry a lot so thought the bags under my eyes were caused by that. Sure, I will have bags under my eyes the next morning if I have a margarita (w/a salt rim) ...a guilty pleasure maybe every 2 mos. So I accidentally get to your thread tonight while trying to look up home remedies for my eyes. I had had dysport 10 days before the wedding (so 3 1/2 weeks ago had the injections) I had had the dysport once before bec. the lines betw. my brows. Looked great that first time. I did notice that my two lines didn't really look better & I had like a ridge across forehead as she used some in those lines. Never occurred to me that it could have migrated down to my eyelids! Well, I am going to go fix a huge cup of water It seems that all of you noticed the problems right away. I was OK for 2 wks. before the droop started. That is why I thought it was the eyelashes. Did anyone have delayed problems themselves? Thank you!
Hello, I've been following your thread. The same exact thing happened to me. I'm currently at 2 yrs 2 months and I've seen small and gradual changes. But, I'm starting to wonder if this is as good as it'll get. I'd love a progress report, if you have time. I'd appreciate it very much. Sincerely, Lauren