Terrible Pain when Starting Invisalign

I just got invisalign yesterday and while taking...

I just got invisalign yesterday and while taking them out to eat dinner last night, experienced the worst pain I have ever felt. I couldn't eat my macaroni and cheese or even my ice cream! Putting the trays back onto my teeth brought instant tears and terrible pain, I cried for about a half hour before the pain started to ease up. I'm considering not even taking them out to eat because of the discomfort I felt.

Is this process going to get easier? Is there any type of food that I can eat that won't stain the invisalign trays terribly? Is this amount of pain normal, or should I go in and see my orthodontist?
Dr. Lozman

They have been a great amount of help, I don't blame them for the amount of discomfort that I am feeling.

I am on tray 19. I have not had any problems until now. It hurt so much after putting these trays in that my eye has started to swell. The pain encompasses the entire side of my face. I think the movement either dredged sonething up, or has aligned my teeth improperly, so that the pressure is damaging the nerve. I have tried over the counter remedies and it only helps for a bit. The pain comes back. Why after 19 weeks?
I was told by my dentist that if I have issues like this to put in your last tray and contact him immediately!!
Turns out I needed a root canal. The dentist said that eventually I would have needed it, but the new tray helped it along. Had the root canal and feeling better. Thanks
i am on day three of my first tray. i am in the uk. aching jaw, sore teeth, sore tongue, ulcer on cheeks., crying in pain. have read about jaw disorders being caused. am concerned. attachments going on in four weeks. didn't think that would hurt but after reading this am kinda terrified of that too. i wasn't sure it could get worse. i need 44 trays. oh dear.
I have 31 trays and am not looking forward to it. I just got my first tray yesterday. Hurts like hell today. Constant pain all the time. Pain goes away completely when I take the trays out. Very tempting to keep them out for a little while, but won't because I want them to work. Have been wearing them non-stop (except for eating) for 24 hours and they still hurt terribly! Should have taken some pain killer today.
This is my second day of wearing my very first pair of trays. I have 14 attachments the doc never told me the amount of attachments i needed but i was surprised to find out that i needed so many. Anyway, my mouth feels like i have been punched about 1,000 times and my toungue and cheeks are extremely sore. Food is not enjoyable and brushing hurts. This blows! But I'm already commuted to the plan and im excited to see results. Ibuprofen barely works i had to take 3 last night before bed. I also have to bite down on this rubber piece for my front teeth and with the tenderness that i have now it killls!
I hate to tell you the entire process will hurt but it will. Your teeth will get used to moving and the pain will lessen. But everytime you change your tray your teeth will feel like they are in a vice for the first 2-3 days until they've moved enough for the tray to loosen up. The rest of the week you shouldn't even feel them. But I have 39 aligners and I'm on 30 and I still experience pain with the change. I suppose it also depends what process you are getting done with your teeth. Buy and extremely soft bristled brush, also I Dont even brush my teeth the first day I change them because I can't take them out once they're in. Hurts too much. I thoroughly clean when I remove the old one and I rinse with Listerine before bed and just apply some toothpaste to My gums and rub with my finger. Also food will suck the first three days. I agree. I suggest you stock up on pasta and Mr. Noodles and side kicks. Potatoes etc. For the first three days I know that's all I can eat that causes me no discomfort since I Dont actually have to chew. Then start with softer foods once you feel it loosening up. Scrambled eggs..rice.. Even light fish like tilapia. By the second week you should be eating steak in no time :p. However this is all after your teeth are used to moving. Which took me about a month or so. My first two or 3 aligners hurt just all the time. Ice pack on my face type hurt. Wasn't excruciating the entire time but pain all the time. Sores in my mouth as well, also I don't know how old you are but refrain from getting drunk while using Invisalign lol when you drink they will cut up your tongue which sucks the next day.
I was told by my orthodontist ibuprofen and aspirin tighten the muscles therefore the teeth will not move. So Tylenol is your best bet
I just got mine today and my teeth hurt like hell! I feel like my teeth are going to fall out. I get my attachments in two weeks so I'm nervous that will make it hurt worse
Hi :).  By the end of a week, you are unlikely to be in the kind of pain you are in now! :).  Most people who post here are right in the most uncomfortable part of their journey, and some of them have even gotten attachments right from the get-go, and are in terrible pain!  But it is extremely unusual for people to experience pain for more than the first 6 days, and most are fine within 2-3.  When you get your attachments, it will definitely be more uncomfortable than without them, but it will probably be more like how you are feeling now, as opposed to feeling worse, because you'll already be used to the aligners.

You should start a review!  And look around at our longer-term members so you can see how the experience changes over time!  Good luck! :)
It will make it worse, I suggest an ice pack for your first few days with them. But just as before it will loosen up. But I suggest not removing your tray for the first day or two once you get your attachments and put your tray in. You'll thank me. Avoid high sugar or acidic foods. Stick to starches because they're soft. And then you can minimize the need for brushing. Rub toothpaste on your gums and since with anti bacterial mouth wash. Your teeth will be so tender that removing them to eat or brush will be horrible especially trying to put them back in. I've done this for 30 trays and it hasn't failed me so far regardless of how many people may disagree with me. Once they start to loosen you can remove them whenever. But first two days I really suggest leaving them be.
i got my trays yesterday but i didnt get any attachments yet, they gave me another appointment to get my attachments but they told me to start wearing the trays already. Has this happen to anyone? And why would they tell me to start wearing the trays before getting my attachments?
This is extremely common :).  They give you a chance to acclimate to the trays, so it's not overwhelming when you get the attachments.  And it's not necessarily all for pain's sake either.  Taking the trays out once you have attachments in is more challenging, since the attachments grip the trays harder.  So learning how to take the trays out without attachments is helpful, so you feel confident and know you're doing it right even when they're difficult to get out.

As far as pain goes, though, for those that do experience pain in the first few days of Invisalign even without attachments, that pain would be worse with the attachments.  But not everyone experiences real pain those first few days. :).
Did that to me too. I think its because they think Its too much at once. As the attachments do make the trays feel even tighter and the trays alone cause enough discomfort on their own. I think its just to give you a chance to get used to the aligner first. They are harder to put on and to remove with the attachments.
What? I got my braces in Wednesday and my attachments that day I dunno how I'm putting up with the pain but I have no choice! I have a tooth in the middle down the bottom that is very sensitive and throbs , it is kindav twisted so needs to turn is it normal that it's givin me a toothache so soon and will it ease off ????
This is my second round of invisalign so I knew going in what the process is. My number one tried and true remedy... plenty of ibuprofen on tray change days and for a couple of day afterwards. I also usually get a couple of mouth ulcers under my tongue near the front, but thats because I worry my gum line with my teeth... solution... oral gel until you get used to it. As to why the second round, because my dumb butt didn't wear my night tray when i finished the last round. This time prescription is 13 trays upper and 20 lower. Bear with it, it does get better!!!
I have "Clear Correct" which is the same type of design. Stage 0 did not hurt. Then they removed four teeth up front, and gave me tray 1A the next day. And when I put it in, it was the worst pain ever. When I take them out, it feels like my teeth are gonna fall out. I am for sure going to lose weight because id rather cut meals then take them in and out at this point. Then again it's only the first day.
Yes they hurt just got them it hurts real bad.
Wow! This thread has wonderful comments on it. Good to see there is a little hope. I started my trays today, I have 10 trays for 20 weeks. 9 attachments. I had traditional braces when I was younger but didn't wear my retainers afterwards, so this is mostly cosmetic. I am also 14 weeks pregnant, so use of Tylenol and Advil aren't advised. I am in SO much pain, I 100% wasn't prepared for this :(
I am on tray 31, and let me tell you i bawled putting it in. I cannot sleep or concentrate on anything. None of my previous trays have ever come this close to hurting. Ughhh. I'm so done with these! I have had them for over 2 years, in my case, I would recommend actual braces.
Sex! The pain of the ulcers almost felt like blisters forming after my first 2 days of invisalign. No amount of codeine, cocodamol, or ibrufoen could mask the pain. Sex however relaxed me, helped me sleep and the endorphins stopped my agony.
Lolllll
I am coming to the end of my year with Invisalign treatment . I can relate to what most people are saying yes, it is painful at first and when you change trays they can be a little tight. I am from the UK and these can only be prescribed by an orthodontist. I have buttons and attachments and nobody has noticed them, only the individual as one is self conscious but isn't that the reason why we want our teeth straightening in the first place. Lips and inside of mouths get hardened to these areas. I remember my first day I could of cried, but eating and the pain eases. Before being too negative, ask yourself, as did I, what the alternative was, train tracks?.......because with all those attachments exposed trust me, they would've rubbed on the inside of your mouth more and been lots more noticeable, food restrictions etc.... It is quite naive to assume that their wouldn't be any pain at all with any sort of orthodontic treatment. Our teeth are being moved from their natural position under force. Any treatment is going to result in discomfort. Stick with it....time will fly, they is light at the end of the tunnel.
Got my trays yesterday. I work with a couple of girls that I've actually watched go through the process so I can truly say that I knew it was going to be bad. Every single person that I know that has had them swears that yes, you will speak normally with them; and yes, the pain and mouth sores will go away. I'm not really feeling hopeless even though it really is bad. My mouth is completely torn up, the tip of my tongue keeps hitting a ridge that I'll try to file down later tonight (I agree that they are poorly constructed especially for the price), and I don't even want to talk because I sound like I'm drunk... I've been brushing after eating (which is unbelievably painful), using gly-oxide and orajel, and taking 800 mg (prescription dosage) of Ibuprofen every 6 hours. The gly-oxide really seems to help keep the sores from getting more inflamed and it's not something that I hear a whole lot of people mention. Fingers crossed that this gets easier soon!
Thanks for helpful comments. I just have to share that I am 50 (will be in June) and just got my trays yesterday. As an RN, I thought I had a pretty high pain tolerance, but WOW, this is more than I had expected. Did not have traditional braces as a kid, have a lot of movement to go, but I agree that the "buttons" they attach to your teeth are the most painful. I have 12. I was most surprised by the overall feeling of nausea, which is compounded by the orajel. I love the comments that this will go away, and as trays are less tight; there is relief. I refuse to give up on this...I was in the Army, been to war, these are braces that we asked for...let us remember that and perservere!