Terrible Pain when Starting Invisalign

I just got invisalign yesterday and while taking...

I just got invisalign yesterday and while taking them out to eat dinner last night, experienced the worst pain I have ever felt. I couldn't eat my macaroni and cheese or even my ice cream! Putting the trays back onto my teeth brought instant tears and terrible pain, I cried for about a half hour before the pain started to ease up. I'm considering not even taking them out to eat because of the discomfort I felt.

Is this process going to get easier? Is there any type of food that I can eat that won't stain the invisalign trays terribly? Is this amount of pain normal, or should I go in and see my orthodontist?
Dr. Lozman

They have been a great amount of help, I don't blame them for the amount of discomfort that I am feeling.

Wow! This thread has wonderful comments on it. Good to see there is a little hope. I started my trays today, I have 10 trays for 20 weeks. 9 attachments. I had traditional braces when I was younger but didn't wear my retainers afterwards, so this is mostly cosmetic. I am also 14 weeks pregnant, so use of Tylenol and Advil aren't advised. I am in SO much pain, I 100% wasn't prepared for this :(
I am on tray 31, and let me tell you i bawled putting it in. I cannot sleep or concentrate on anything. None of my previous trays have ever come this close to hurting. Ughhh. I'm so done with these! I have had them for over 2 years, in my case, I would recommend actual braces.
Sex! The pain of the ulcers almost felt like blisters forming after my first 2 days of invisalign. No amount of codeine, cocodamol, or ibrufoen could mask the pain. Sex however relaxed me, helped me sleep and the endorphins stopped my agony.
I am coming to the end of my year with Invisalign treatment . I can relate to what most people are saying yes, it is painful at first and when you change trays they can be a little tight. I am from the UK and these can only be prescribed by an orthodontist. I have buttons and attachments and nobody has noticed them, only the individual as one is self conscious but isn't that the reason why we want our teeth straightening in the first place. Lips and inside of mouths get hardened to these areas. I remember my first day I could of cried, but eating and the pain eases. Before being too negative, ask yourself, as did I, what the alternative was, train tracks?.......because with all those attachments exposed trust me, they would've rubbed on the inside of your mouth more and been lots more noticeable, food restrictions etc.... It is quite naive to assume that their wouldn't be any pain at all with any sort of orthodontic treatment. Our teeth are being moved from their natural position under force. Any treatment is going to result in discomfort. Stick with it....time will fly, they is light at the end of the tunnel.
Got my trays yesterday. I work with a couple of girls that I've actually watched go through the process so I can truly say that I knew it was going to be bad. Every single person that I know that has had them swears that yes, you will speak normally with them; and yes, the pain and mouth sores will go away. I'm not really feeling hopeless even though it really is bad. My mouth is completely torn up, the tip of my tongue keeps hitting a ridge that I'll try to file down later tonight (I agree that they are poorly constructed especially for the price), and I don't even want to talk because I sound like I'm drunk... I've been brushing after eating (which is unbelievably painful), using gly-oxide and orajel, and taking 800 mg (prescription dosage) of Ibuprofen every 6 hours. The gly-oxide really seems to help keep the sores from getting more inflamed and it's not something that I hear a whole lot of people mention. Fingers crossed that this gets easier soon!
Thanks for helpful comments. I just have to share that I am 50 (will be in June) and just got my trays yesterday. As an RN, I thought I had a pretty high pain tolerance, but WOW, this is more than I had expected. Did not have traditional braces as a kid, have a lot of movement to go, but I agree that the "buttons" they attach to your teeth are the most painful. I have 12. I was most surprised by the overall feeling of nausea, which is compounded by the orajel. I love the comments that this will go away, and as trays are less tight; there is relief. I refuse to give up on this...I was in the Army, been to war, these are braces that we asked for...let us remember that and perservere!
I've had metal braces when I was younger. Invisalign is far worse and is marketed as an easy invisible solution. Although the braces hurt too at least I could chew and enjoy eating. I don't expect to have an enjoyable meal until this is done. It amazes me how poorly the trays are constructed, for this amount of money edges should be smooth.
I've been going through the Invisalign treatment for 1.5 years now, and it was originally only supposed to be 9 months. At tray 12 I had an additional attachment put on (as planned) but the technician did a terrible job (too much glue) and two trays later, there was no movement in that tooth at all. I went back to the dentist, they reset the attachment, and I had to go back to tray 12 again to see if it would correct itself. I went back after two more trays and found that I had to get what they call a Mid-Course Correction. Another 28 weeks of trays (if I wore them as prescribed). I was really diligent about wearing my aligners for the first round, before the mid-course correction. After that, I got really lazy about them - I think I was so discouraged about having to continue wearing them and putting up with all the work of keeping my teeth & the aligners clean, and was tired of not being able to snack or to leisurely drink a couple of cups of coffee in the morning. My advice to new Invisalign wearers is to insist on an experienced technician to do your fittings, and have the dentist oversee each removal/addition of the attachments. Keep your trays in at least 20 hours a day, even though it's a pain in the neck! And jaw! :) And for those whose trays have rough edges, I use wax that people with traditional braces use. It works great at keeping the rough spots from cutting your tongue and lips. Hope this was helpful!
WAX WAX WAX!! I agree 100%!! I can handle the aching pain, even though it's pretty bad at times, but the cutting and scraping from the edges... no way! My lower tray cut the bottom of my tongue so bad the first day. I took it out in the middle of the first night. When I woke up I went right to the store and bought 6 packs of orthodontist wax. There is no way I could have continued without the wax.
I just got my first set of invisalign trays this afternoon. When I first put them on they were fine. A little pressure, but nothing unbearable. My orthodontist recommends waiting 1 week before applying the attachments - of which I need 15! - on nearly all my upper teeth! Since there are so many, it looks like I have traditional braces! The top row is crowded and a lot of rotation is required to straighten out the teeth. My bottom row are pretty much straight but with a small but noticeable gap on the side. After wearing them for 5 hours now, the pain seems to be increasing. I'm about to look in the medicine cabinet for strong pain killers. The pain isn't excruciating, but thinking about the fact that I have to bear it for 18 months makes me want to ball my eyes out. I haven't experienced any rubbing or sores in my mouth yet. Knock on wood.
The Invisalign experience tends to evolve throughout your treatment.  The pain will not continue to be excruciating.  Some trays will be worse than others.  And the rubbing or sores may come later, especially when a particular tray is especially tight, and doesn't conform as well to the teeth the first couple of days.  But orthodontic wax can help with that.  Also, some trays aren't fabricated quite perfectly and have sharper edges that can cut, but you can file those edges off.

Are you going to start a review here?  There are a few people on here who have a lot of attachments and you can commiserate with them--but just keep reminding yourself that at least you can take out the trays to clean your teeth. :D
Thank-you. I am on tray 3 and no more issues after the rough start.
if it helps at all, I had to get an attachment on every single tooth, top and bottom. I was so angry at first because I felt totally cheated and upset. It has been around four months now and I guess I have gotten over the initial shock. In my mind I view my invisalign as traditional braces now, which wasn't what I had wanted but just like if I had gotten traditional braces, I've moved on with my life. I try not to pay much attention to it and the only time I really notice them is when I get a new tray that causes pain. After a few days the pain goes away as well. For now I guess all we can do is count down the days until we can get them off! Best of luck to you.
How is your treatment going? It sounds like we have very similar cases. I just started on my first set of trays today and I would love to hear your "progress"! Thank you!
I am on day 3 and also experiencing sharp edges on the interior and exterior of the trays. My ortho told me to come in and he would smooth them out. I cut some cotton squares in strips and put them under around my gums. It help. My tongue and sides of my mouth are very sore. Not sure how they heal as they keep irritating themselves. I have 12 buttons. Some of my teeth have 2. I got them over braces for vanity reasons....but I can barely speak due to the pain caused by the rough edges. I would rather be explaining the obvious braces versus the language issues. I called and asked if I could leave them out and they told me to leave them out for a day and rinse with salt water. The buttons hurt the hots spots so I put them back in and used the cotton strips. Doesn't help the speech but at least it is tolerable now.
I got my Invisalign today and already have a sore in the inside of my lip on the bottom. I tried to eat and then brush my teeth, and wow it was so tender. I couldn't even eat cantaloupe! I am hoping the tenderness gets better. I'll just keep taking my Ibuprofen.
I got my first tray yesterday and I'm on day two. I find it very uncomfortable to wear the trays. The bumbs are so hard to bite down into especially when you closing your mouth. I feeling some pressure already. The uncomfortable and discomfort of the trays really makes me want to cancel this agreement of the Invisalign. I've to wear it 20 months and I can't stand the thought of having this in my mouth so uncomfortably everyday. I'm having a mental nightmares about this. The trays are causing some gum brushing. I try filing the trays but it still have a sharp feel.
My ortho has me changing the first 6 trays every week. Anyone else doing this?
I have to change mine every week too. At least I'm not the only one. But it sucks cause I can barely eat what I want. The soreness goes away like in 4 days ugh ;(
I got invisalign yesterday and I'll admit I hadn't done TOO much research (I'm 16 so I don't tend to have the final say in things anyway) and now that I have them I have been looking around at what people are saying... One thing that jumped out at me is that a lot of people are saying that they only have 6 buttons/attachments or at most 15 attachments. I happen to have attachments on every single tooth. I have been researching and it seems that practically NO ONE else has had this, so I don't understand why I do! My teeth are actually straight, I mainly got invisalign to prepare me for a jaw surgery for my underbite in about a year. Does anyone else have this? I really wish I only had 15 or so-- especially because the attachments are much whiter than my teeth so they are SO noticeable and make my teeth look horrible and yellow:( my front teeth are already big and these make them look even bigger... not to mention that the inside of my mouth has been a bloody mess since I got them yesterday afternoon. I was not expecting this at all, why did my family spend $6000 for these "invisible" braces that are just as visible as any other braces? I'm just upset.. does it get better? Any feedback at all would be much appreciated!
I know exactly how you feel and it does get better. I got invisalign on for a jaw surgery, and also have a button on every single tooth. It even stunned my hygienist who placed them, who commented "that's a lot of attachments! Wow!" But it does get better. The reasons we have more buttons than most is the fact our tooth position has to be perfected for surgery. In the case of an underbite, they want to straighten most teeth and properly space them, so once you've had the surgery, there is little fine tuning to do afterward. Having the palate widened and the teeth properly also makes the surgery easier for both you and the surgeon. And trust me, the attachments look more noticeable to you than to others. You know to look for them, most people won't until you point them out. It gets better. You will make it through!

Thank you for this very informative reply!  I had no idea so many attachments were ever used, but now there's a pattern!  Another thing to remember, 28attachments, is that even if it were to look exactly like regular braces, at least you can still take them off.  This is a big deal, because it's just so much easier to care for the teeth when you can take off your aligners instead of having to use a floss-threader.  It saves a bit of money as well when you don't have to fix cavities you got while you had braces on!

oh wow, thanks for that input! I was starting to think I was the only one with this situation! I guess it makes sense that the teeth need to be perfect-- and I know my orthodontist is a stickler when it comes to that, I guess he just doesn't want to take any chances. I just wish I didn't need them on my front few teeth. Thanks again for the information, it made me feel a little better about the whole thing! :)
anyone have a tooth pulled and then put a tray in? how does it look?
like the tooth is still there...it kind of acts as a veneer lol!