Extreme Fat Loss After IPL

In Jan 2008, I had surgery on my jaw (orthognathic...

In Jan 2008, I had surgery on my jaw (orthognathic surgery). Approximately 3 months after, I had an IPL Photofacial - there were three sessions over 3 months. Now I have extreme fat loss in my face, I look about 10 years older.

What are the long term effects of IPL Photofacials? I have been assured that this isn't the reason and that it is because of age (48). Any info would be appreciated.

had IPL done after some jaw surgery, a year later, have extreme fat loss. Is it due to age(48) or damage from IPL?

This is an example of doctors not yet knowing the full extent of a treatment they provide. Those of us who have suffered fat loss from IPL know that it can happen, there is no question in our minds - we saw the results and we know our faces. The question is whether our doctors did something wrong, or whether our skin was just too delicate for the procedure, maybe our fat cells are more easily melted, or if IPL just randomly can cause this awful side effect... Eventually doctors will study this more in depth and will 1. admit that it is possible and 2. be able to figure out why this happens.
Don't you just love it when they try to blame it on your age? It's not just IPL, fractional CO2 lasers can result in fat loss and odd wrinkles as well. The doctors are full of it...they only care about the $$$.
IPL CAUSES FAT LOSS...... Please don't think that it doesn't. I am 30 years old. I had a very healthy chubby cheek face before ipl. Now I have no fat in my face. My face melted away with ipl.
So sorry this has happened to you. Yes, IPL can and does cause fat loss.
What kind of IPL machine did they use on you? I am having one with the Lumenis One in a couple days. Sorry about your situation.
Palomar Rejuvelux
I suffered the same unexplained fat loss after five sessions of IPL and one laser peel. My checks sagged downward and my checks have sick wrinkles when I smile. I aged ten years also. Got the same explaination from so called doctor as you did. Said that it is not possible to have fat loss and that it was because I lost weight and that I was getting older.
Do a google search on "ipl and laser damage". The fat loss is real. IPL damage is real. Please be careful. Why would any provider admit IPL could or did cause these problems? Think about it.
I have just notified Health Canada regarding the machine that was used for my IPL-they are sending me an online form to submit a complaint and they will investigate further-will keep you informed
I know it is possible-I am living every painful moment of it, it is devastating. People that I haven't seen in a while will stare but not say anything, I can just imagine what they think. Has anyone visited their doctor or a dermatologist/plastic surgeon about this problem?
I am so sorry this is happening to you. I know the pain of it because it happened to me too...and many other women. Please do not believe any doctor who says this is not possible. Please search the web for an IPL fat loss forum and you will find a community of women who are suffering as you are. Don't despair - some have been successful in fixing their damage with fat grafting, though this is not for everyone. Good luck, much love

Hi Robin,

According to the doctors' answers in these related threads (listed below), IPL doesn't cause facial fat loss.

Fat loss after IPL treatment?

Does IPL cause fat disintegration underneath facial skin?

We have quite an active community of users at RealSelf who have had IPL, so I'm sure they'll be able to guide you further.

Hope this helps!