Glycolic Peel Left Me with More Swelling Than Was Expected

I had a glycolic peel (40%) (3 passes then...

I had a glycolic peel (40%) (3 passes then neutralized) by a nurse/esthetician. On the day of the peel I began taking Valtrex 500 mg twice a day. However, less than 48 hours later, my face become seriously swollen especially around the eye area. I followed up with a dermatologist who prescribed Prednisone, a Z-Pac and a tropical creme.

At first he discussed herpes but seemed to think that because I had taken Valtrex that what I had was probably a chemical burn. I am curious as to what you think.

My questions is: is a 40% glycolic peel (3 passes) considered a light, medium or advanced peel? What is the scarring potential?

I had a 30 percent TCA peel by a plastic surgeon,,to make a long story short,,I ended up in the hospital for five days. I had to have an IV of a VERY STRONG antibiotic.. My face looked like a swollen monster. this was back in 1990, after the second day I went back to the Dr., with what looked like pimples, filled with fluid,,a low grade fever, feeling rotten,,he said "oh, you have a touch of the flu" and sent me home....Three days later I was in the ER...Tests came back that I had yeast infection on my face, in my mouth, my throat was starting to swell ! The Dr. Actually had the nerve to get an attitude with me and said you are about one in a million it happens to...Looking back, he was an idiot, although Board Certified. I am now 65 yr.old. I have some scaring on my chin area, but, I do look much younger, my skin healed and I have virtually no wrinkles. would I ever do it again ?? NO WAY...IT WAS A NIGHTMARE ! I WOULD RATHER HAVE A TON OF WRINKLES THAN LOOK LIKE A SWOLLEN FACE MONSTER ! THAT IS MY STORY FROM YEARS AGO !!
It looks like TCA applied to your face. I used Glycolic, TCA for bothe face and body and I never experience that kind of swelling...unless if your doctor used more than 30% TCA. Drink lots of water. Eating pineapple helps too, apply emu oils, hydrocort creams.
Hello Queen of everything, just wanted to comment on your post in response to Natadaus, she was correct, well for the most part, about around 90- 99% of people have herpes it's called HSV1 which is the cold sore virus. Most people don't know they have it and that's why when asked they say NO. I'm not a doctor but I had to do research on it in my health class and was shocked to find that out....

I think a test should be done prior to any skin procedure just as one would do if they were changing their hair color.