Lost 140lb with Gastric Bypass. Need Help with Excess Skin

I had gastric bypass and i have lost 140 lbs. but...

i had gastric bypass and i have lost 140 lbs. but i still feel fat b/c of excess skin. my belly still hangs over my jeans and i still can't wear skirts and shorts b/c of my knees and thighs.

i no longer have insurance and i cant afford the surgeries i need. i hate feeling like i went thru all the pain and changes for nothing. its a daily mental struggle for me. any suggestions anyone.

is there any financial assistance to remove excess skin after a gastric bypass?

Retired

To HVA
To lie to the insurance company so that they cover cosmetic surgery is fraud, wheather it is commited by the doctor or patient or both.
Dr. Shureih,before you judge HVA, you should stop and think before you make such comments. As having been someone who has had gbs and having lost 115 lbs so far, I believe that anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight does actually suffer from issues that HVA talked about. I am VERY HAPPY for her and I can only imagine not only a healthier life but also an emotionally lifting experience. Those two alone speak of what she has came through and I applause her courage to make the decision to prolong her life. I wouldn't want anyone jumping to conclusions about you or anyone else.
My reconstruction was paid for in full by insurance. You have to find the right surgeon that can use a medical reason to get it paid for..they were told that my ab skin would eventually cause a hernia so it was paid for..they were told that I would develop rashes and infections under my boobs, back fat and thigh area..also covered 100%..you haven't hit on the right surgeon yet that deals with this and knows how to play the game..when you do..you are in like Flynn..keep looking!
Thanks HVA, I will keep looking but I don't have any insurance outside of Medicare. There is a medical reason for the skin removal. The weight of the extra skin is worst on my MCTD. It causes sever pain in my neck & shoulder, I already have the rashes & breakout under the over hangs. Thanks for the encouragement. By the way, i'm down by 93lbs now...
Can I have the name & phone number of the doctor you went too. I too have a lot of access skin everything runs together... everything s haning chin arms legs everythings hanging & im only 25 but I look 50 ..I have insurance.... please help...

Hey there MS, Welcome!

Do you have excess skin because of weight loss surgery?

I am disabled and was on steroid treatments for 5years to treat MCTD. I am 35yrs old and have been weened off the steroid but not before gaining 100lbs. Since August 2011, I have lost 80lbs and feel better, but the sagging, extra skin is causing rashes and pain from the hanging. I also feel like I am in an 80yr old body. I did not have any surgery to loss the weight... I did it naturally. Being on disability, I can't afford to have the skin removed, even though it is causing me health problems. If there is any one out there that know anyway I can get the treatment I need, please let me know...
I fully understand how you feel. I too had gastric bypass and lost a hundred pounds. I currently weigh 160 pounds at 5'9". The excess body skin is bad enough but my biggest "hate" is my face, I have always been a happy person and smiley, so much skin hangs on my face, I aged ten years or more over night. I know a lot of people who have had the bypass and we are all in the same boat, not that it helps. I wouldn't have changed my decision to have the bypass. I feel great and am able to move and do things and clothes hide a lot. I was told to buy clothes one size bigger to hide the extra skin in your jeans. If anyone comes across a surgeon willing to donate at least his time, I know a lot of people who would try to come up with the money. If someone were to finance they could have a lot of customers. Unfortunately, how do you repossess if someone defaults? Good luck and God Bless.
Well let me tell you! I live in Manitoba Canada. When we are sick we go see a doctor. Money? Why should that be a factor when in need. I do not understand how people can survive without health care. I do not see a doctor often but when in need that option is there with no cost. NOT to me or anyone one who lives here. I have had a double lipectomy operation ( tommy tuck) and three breast procedures. A reduction, a lift and an inverted nipple correction at no cost to me. As this wonderful Country I live in considers my emotional well being just as inportant as my physical well being. I had 11 pounds of loose skin removed. Hopefuly it went to a good burn victim for grafting. I would have had my thighs done as they were willing to do them but I decided no as there are so many blood vessils in that area that the operation becomes very dangerous for problems with clotting and infection. It never crossed my mind that things would not go back after losing wieght and was apalled to see what happened afterwards to my body. So sad that after all your hard work that you still cannot get into a bathing suit. Forget getting naked. I was so lucky and I sympathize with your issues. Mabe you should move here! I am so lucky and thankful for the little things that come my way. Mabe some kind hearted millionare surgeon will see your post and want to help like what happened to Kate Gossellin on john and Kate plus eight. Miracles happen all the time. just be ready for the opputunities when they happen.
Unfortunately, there is virtually no insurance coverage related to the post-bypass issues that result from massive weight loss. It is not uncommon for patients to have just as much concern for their appearance after the bypass as before. Patients must fully understand that their skin will likely NOT CONTRACT sufficiently after the loss of over 100lbs. We do provide surgical options to remove the excess skin, and patients are almost uniformly happy. But, having your exterior more accurately reflect the healthier "you" inside, often takes anywhere from 1-5 procedures depending upon how extreme the weight loss. Save and plan for a staged approach and you'll never regret your decision. Best of luck. Vince Marin, MD San Diego Plastic Surgeon
I can understand your situation, and unfortunately these procedures are not covered by insurance. They are out of pocket expenses, and are expenssive. My advise is do one area at a time. Starting with the area that bothers you the most. You can work with your plastic surgeon paying monthly towards your surgery till paid in full then go through surgery. The problem here is what happens if you had a unforeseen event? The other option is to seek a teatching plastic surgery program, you may be able to work with the residents at a lower price.