Fraxel Repair Disaster - Wanted to Remove Fine Lines on Forehead and Lower Eyelid Area

Treatment experience poor. I went to see a doctor...

Treatment experience poor. I went to see a doctor about removing some fine lines on my forehead and lower eyelid area.

While I was on the treatment table he recommended I do my entire face otherwise I would have to go through life with two different colours on my face. Big mistake! My entire face is ruined.

The pain was severe. I was told downtime 1 week. Not so overall downtime 5 months.

I had the fraxel repair procedure done 12 months ago. I am still trying to find a solution to fix my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation - hydroquinone, kojic acid and triluma does not work. My skin is very hypersensitive and turns red as soon as I touch it. Furthermore i have a pink veil across the centre of my face and broken capillaries all over my cheek areas.

Can someone please explain to me what is going on with my skin? I have a meditteranean background, but milky white skin.
Dr Jack Ting Coogee

I know this post is old but I was curious if you found a solution/treatment for post inflammatory hyper pigmentation??
Hi I didn't get hyper pigmentation just red inflamed skin. The answer to that is not really. It's not as bad but it continues to irritate and has a flushed look all of the time. I am currently using a retinaldehyde serum from a plastic surgeon called soothe his own brand of cosmetics. It has other properties to help soothe irritated skin along with vitamin A to help restore my skin. I don't believe anything helps that much to be honest. The moisturiser I am using is Cerave lotion that's all it can tolerate. The skin on my chest now has a lot of seboherric keratosis which can be due to sun damage but also trauma. I put it down to trauma. Sick of it? Completely.
And waste of my time and my solicitors time trying to do anything about it. The health commission was very intimidating and was told I can't prove irritation and I wasn't scarred so basically they don't see what my problem is. The keratosis can be blamed on sun damage. Wish I had never ever had it done.
I know. I feel the same. I wish i had never done it. Stupid doctors ..
Hey mcast how are you going? I am from Victoria and had fraxel restore on my neck and chest. So 6 months later I am redder than when I started out, lots of broken capillaries, rough lumpy skin texture, visible lines down both sides of my neck, irritation, soreness. Also now break out in acne on my chest which have never had a problem with before. They never recommended any skin care just told me to moisturise with something like QV or Dermaveen but everything irritates. Also can't use any sunscreen even a physical one for that same reason. It's a nightmare and I regret ever having laser. My redness before was nothing to what I am putting up with now. I have been back to the doctor that did this many times with my problems and I am told to just use nothing but my skin is do dry and irritated it needs moisture. I drink cucumber juice every morning, take vitamin c, zinc, fish oil capsules and drink lots of water. I recently put a complaint into the place where i had this done because I can't live with the redness and irritation anymore and she has now offered me Rationales Niacinamide Serum to use. Well if it's a miracle why wasn't I offered this before? I think its just grasping at straws. My skin is tolerating it but not sure if the redness or irritation or laser line marks will ever go away. It's hard to stay positive and I have basically become a hermit. If this is what I have to live with forever then I don't know what I'm going to do. I would not recommend laser to my worst enemy.
sorry to hear that.hope u feel better, there is not a day passes that I wish I had not done that stupid procedure.
I hope you are well by now ...
take care dear
I had sort of the same problems, but a year later all was gone, i used Elta MD physical sunscreen spf 41 -tinted- or elta MD clear. Cotz for face spf 40 is great too. I used the rose cream that is used for babies, or anyting similar to vaseline.
Wanted to let you know that Angie Walker (awalk on realself), who has helped so many people through fraxel disasters, passed away Friday night from a brain aneurism. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
My heart goes out to Angies family. What a beautiful , selfless, kind ,wonderful woman she was. Not only has she helped me to try to deal with my fraxel disaster but countless other woman while trying to heal her own fraxel damaged face at the same time. Lets not let all her relentless and hard work to get this laser off the market go to waste. Farewell Angie.
Thanks Christine for letting us know about Angie Walker. This is devastating for me, since I deeply cared for her, even though I only knew her though her postings on real self. Ever since I read her story about her Fraxel disaster on the day I joined real self, I couldn't stop thinking about her, praying for her and learning from her. She will always be present in my thoughts and my heart. May God bless her and compensate her for all her sufferings on Earth. My heart goes out to her family and friends. Farewell dear Angie Walker!!! You will be missed deeply. Real self has lost one of its most valuable members. You are an institution here. Real self won't be the same without you.
What happened to Her?!!!
o i see the answer. unbelievable
i am going to have fraxel repair under my eyes on monday but i am so so scared will it hurt will it work ? have i got the right doctor?
No you do not have the right doctor for the job. It will be very painful. Tali Fraxel repair will not fix your problem you need to have revision surgery. Mac
I have the same problem. I can not express how sad I am to have lost my beautiful skin over lies that promissed me 10 years younger looking skin
Hi Nazgol I saw your before photos of your skin, and your skin looked very similar to the way mine was. Unfortunately you and I have become victims of the unregulated cosmetic industry where doctors are no longer interested in what is the best option for their patients, but are more interested in how much money they can make from each client that walks in their door. No decent doctor would have touched your skin let alone used the most ablative powerful laser there is on the market. Your doctor and the doctor who treated me were driven by money. It is about time doctors realise that individuals whether they are being treated for medical or cosmetic reasons are all patients and deserve the same respect. If a doctor had performed an inappropriate treatment on a patient in a public hospital they would be struck off. Not so in the cosmetic industry.
sorry to hear that. there is not a day passes that I wish I had not done that stupid procedure.
I hope you are well by now ...
take care dear
They can't deny when 10000's have the same issues after Fraxel......When they acknowledge it and let docs know how to treat it..Many will be spared the suffering we are experiencing, the scarring can at least be minimized and the duration of pain shortened.
i had 2 fraxel restore laser treaments done on my face for ance scarring and the laser has ruined my face, about a month after the second treament i developed sagging skin, jowling and loss of muscle tone in the face iam young and was so depressed about 2 months after this i had to go get a facelift to correct the damage and i still dont look the same. i still dont have the tight jawline i once had 2months prior to the procedures and i also developed fat deposit along the jawline. I spent 25,000 thousand dollars to have this facelift because of the fraxel laser and i have read soooooooooo many stories online of people that had the same treament and had the same damaging problems to there face... please help there is alot of people that want to sue including me ...but there is no amount of money that could compensate what ive went through..im still depressed and will be for the rest of my life because i will never look the same again! thanks
Ahg! I'm so sorry. Which fraxel did you use? The stronger or weaker one?
I think it is very important that you contact the regulatory authorities in Australia and report your case...Many countries have allowed this because it is approved in the U.S...I wonder if they know how screwed up our system is when it comes to medical devices.....It's important everyone report so the company acknowledges it happens and has protocals to treat and reduce the scarring when it does...As it is now They deny deny deny...Leaving women suffering and doctors clueless how to help them....
I have reported to the austhorities. Unfortunately Australians are not as proactive as Americans. Furthermore the doctors here who provide fraxel are quoting America ie Fraxel was tested on hundreds of Americans with no sideeffect. If its good enough for the americans..This laser was passed for use In america and you know how strict their laws..... We are being fed lies. Unfortunately Australia copies everything from the Americans. You guys are the worlds greatest country and if you guys cannot get it right how are we suppose to. I even met up for coffee with a fraxel rep when this first happened to me. He was shocked that this happened to me (surprise surprise) and was going to send copies of my details to fraxel in America. Needless to say I have not heard from him since. He was even convinced me to have the fraxel restore procedure to fix the problem. Un fortunately I took his advice and my treating doctors and had two restore treatments which worsened my pigmentation and led to hundreds if not thousands of broken capillaries all over my cheek area.
Wow. I'm a Medical Esthetician and we are considering the purchase of the palomar's 1540. I would hate to do this to someone. Can I ask you some questions? What color is your skin? Do you have a history of sensitive skin? Are you allergic to Bee stings? Do you Keloid? Did it feel like it was burning you during the procedure? Has it improved? Thanks Lisa
Hi lisa1234, just reading this thread and was surprised at your comments. I had 2 x fraxel treatments a yr ago and now have horrible hypo and hyper pigmentation on my face. I am allergic to bee stings, have olive complexion (Italian decent) but dont keloid scar. What does the bee sting allergy have to do with it?? I'm intrigued.
The Doctor in Australia who does the PRP therapy I was impressed with who seemed very knowledgable and someone who cares greatly about his patients is Dr Jayson Oates he posted on page 12 of my post...