Fraxel Repair - Almost 60 and Now Not Happy in my Own Skin - Durham-Chapel Hill, NC

I had Fraxel Repair 3 weeks ago. I reacted to the...

I had Fraxel Repair 3 weeks ago. I reacted to the numbing agent so was given adovan and dental blocks which I don't recall as I was not fully conscious.

The recovering process has been wrought with extreme redness, itchiness and patches of sand-paper like skin. I am concerned that I am 59 years of age and my skin is looking worse than before the treatment. I am more wrinkled and my skin is even more reactive than usual.

These were not the results I was hoping for and i am finding myself now afraid of the sun and spending even more money on skin products to rectify what happened to my skin.

How long will the hyper-pigmentation take to resolve? What can I do myself to help the healing process?

Your response made me smile when you commented on your sunscreen use. I jsut told someone yesterday I know I will look younger now in ten year because I won't be out in the sun without a hat and sunscreen anymore! Thanks for your response.
Thank you for asking about my outcome. The hydroquinoine USP 4% helped the most with readness. I got some tightening from the procedure but not a significant face-lift type of change. I am concerned that it minimized the fat pads which were part of my structure of my face. All in all, I am slightly disappointed in the procedure but it did help to sensitize me to stay out of the sun or to apply a lot of sunscreen.
Did your skin texture ever improve? Did you have a pattern from the laser in your skin? What helped your redness the most? I agree with you that I would NEVER do this again!!!!
Hey Dazed. I don't really know all of the stats of the other laser which are currently on the market. You're at 1.6mm with those settings on the Fraxel re:pair. The total ablative CO2 in the past was much less, about 0.4mm. By going fractionally, you can go much deeper. Steve Weiner, MD Aesthetic Clinique, Destin, Florida.
I'm in the panhandle of Florida near Destin. We can mail any products if you like.
Dr Weiner, I was going to stop in but my son moved from Tallahssee, so now I just fly into Orlando instead of driving. I had Re:pair done in May 08 and Jan 09, both times at 70mj-60%. I am seeing good results 50-60%. I have scheduled my 3rd Re:pair for Oct 09. How does the depth of Re:pair compare to other ablative CO2 lasers, and are there any charts available that spells this out.
where are you? I am visiting my sister in Tampa. Thanks-
Thank you. Is Pyratine XR prescription?
Sold only in select physician's offices, but not a prescription. Call us if no one nearby sells it. Thanks, Steve Weiner, MD
The Fraxel re:pair goes about 1.6 mm into the skin, which is not nearly deep enough to affect any fat from fat transfers. It's a good time to start Retin-A, and for moisturizing, I like PyratineXR. You should actually get more fullness in the coming months as collagen is stimulated.
the redness is finally subsiding but I am concerned about wrinkling which is worse than before andlack of fullness. I had a fat transfer years ago under my eyes at the highest portion of my cheek bone. Can the Fraxel affect this? it looks to me that it has, but I am not sure. How long till I can expect to see the real results from the treatment? What products would you recommend for moisturizing now--it has almost been a month. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Hello, This is far too early to have concerns about the outcome/results. This is a process of several months. What you have described is not unusual, and fairly normal. If you were not counseled about this, shame on the physician. I find that the more informed the patient, the happier they are. At this point, starting Retin A and a hydroquinone is appropriate. I also find that Pyratine XR is useful (Lotion) because it hydrates the skin and reduces redness. You can expect redness to possibly last up to 3 months. Yes, you have to be careful with the sun - you have resurfaced your face with new skin, and it needs some loving care. Steve Weiner, MD Destin, Florida Aesthetic Clinique