Regret Jaw Surgery for Underbite

I had upper jaw surgery, where my upper jaw was...

I had upper jaw surgery, where my upper jaw was moved forwards about 6mm. It has completely changed my face. Especially my nose. I did this surgery to correct a slight under bite.

Pro - no more underbite

Con - I am now self conscious about the way I look and fear going out in public.

Updated October 17, 2009

5 weeks ago I had upper jaw surgery to fix an underbite. The surgeon decided to move the upper jaw because he said I had flat cheeks, an under developed upper jaw.

He also said my nose would not change much. Well it did!!!

Now, I desperately want to fix it.

Should I have my upper jaw moved back to its original position and move the lower jaw back instead (a major surgery)?
Or should I have a nose job fix my upturned and flattened nose?

Can anyone tell me exactly what happened to my nose?

Is it possible to have the surgery undone? Will...

Is it possible to have the surgery undone? Will the surgeon consider doing this? Or would it be better to get a nose job?

It takes a couple of months for the swelling to...

It takes a couple of months for the swelling to completely go down. Still not completely satisfied though.

I was contemplating a nose job, but after looking...

I was contemplating a nose job, but after looking around and talking to some surgeons, it seemed like that operation is even riskier with a low percentage of patients who are satisfied. In the future, I might get both upper and lower jaws moved back, but for now, I'm seeing how long I can live with it.

I initially went in with the expectation that my lower jaw would be moved. Then about 15 days before the operation I was told that I should probably move the upper jaw as it would add to my flat cheeks. I was also told that my nose might change slightly. I wasn't informed that my face would completely change.

I don't get it. You look 100% better. I think it's just excessive worry that causes this type of paranoia.
I had the same surgery done a few years ago and am just now finishing up after 4 years. If you're considering it, know that it is very painful and time consuming. I have migraine pains and was told that the surgery may cure them but they didn't. I very much regret having gone through with it. It did bother me a little but people still loved me for who I was and they don't care either way. People will say that you look good or better but ultimately it doesn't get me anything unless I get some lucrative modeling gig, which I'm sure won't happen. I wish I could go back and say no to those aggressive money hungry dentist and surgeon. They will convince you that it looks ugly, it will turn into some sort of medical issue and you need it and not give a crap about you afterwards. A lot of older people have it it doesn't medically bother them. If you're hard working, smart, and have people who love you in your life then forget about the surgery. People love others who are comfortable with themselves, I wish I realized that before. Best of luck either way. P.S.: If you have any questions about the whole process, feel free to ask me.
For a lot of is it already is a medical issue.... teeth breaking, falling out, sleep apnea due to recessed upper airway, etc. I am surprised to hear about the pain? Everyone I talk to (literally close to 100 over the last 2 years... directly, not just blog-viewing) say they are numb which masks the pain, and are only a bit sore and uncomfortable later on. I am no way discrediting your experience, and sorry you still suffer migraines (which of course could have many causes, I suffer from them but they are in no way due to my bite.... which causes plenty of other EXCRUCIATING pain). I'd love to come out looking better but at this point I am just tired of the sheer pain. May I ask the nature of your original occlusion? Everyone I have talked to with my occlusion say go for it. Objectively speaking of this man's case, which I have seen on other forums, he is 110% objectively more attractive and likely has better function. Of course, getting used to a whole new face can be very challenging even if it changes for the better. I will say on all my ortho and dentist consults, nobody ever told me it was ugly and they have all explained it is not a picnic. Sorry for your regrets, I know what surgical regrets are like.
Hi, thanks for the response. Anything to help me see this in a better light is helpful. Are you considering getting the surgery? I haven't met anyone with teeth damage due to an underbite yet. My brother still has one and he's perfectly fine with it. He talks to more girls and than I do too and people seem to like him more because he's confident and out-going so attractiveness isn't all about looks. Hopefully one day I will see what the benefits of getting the surgery done is but until then I just have to live with making a horrible decision 4 years ago when I was laying on that dental chair. People don't care what you look like at the end of the day, unless you're a model or something.
Why did you regret your jaw surgery if you don't mind me asking? I have booked an operation to have my lower jaw vertically reduced but its not a bite issue just purely aesthetic. I am dreading the swelling and pain afterward though. I will be relying on meal replacement shakes for the first few weeks. :-(
Yeah, I used to heat up canned ravioli and canned soups and blend them. Not the best but its quick and easy. I regret it because I've learned to realize that people don't care as much about what you look like as much as we think they do. Would you care if someone had a long chin as long as they were confident, ok with it, friendly, and pleasant to be around? In addition to this, I lost a lot of time away from my studies in this time. I had to remain in NY to do dental work so I couldn't leave the state to go to medical school so now I've lost all that time while all of my friends are graduating. That's really why I'm so bitter about this whole experience.
Best of luck either way. It's difficult for a little while but the pain goes away pretty quickly
That's very true. Most ventures like surgery are bitter sweet but good luck to you, you seem very smart and grounded.
Thanks for the compliment, that's very nice of you.
When I was eighteen I was told that my jaw would need to be moved and corrected. At the time I was not told that my face would change, I did not go through the surgery because of the cost. Now in 2014 I'm doing research on what I need to do to correct my mouth and found out that jaw surgery can change the face. I am now trying to do research on how to fix my teeth without jaw surgery (and it's seems a lot of people are choosing to go without the surgery) because it's my face. It's the face that some people have loved and the face that my boyfriend fell in love with (he loves me as a person too but you get what I'm saying). Even if I become the most beautiful person on the planet it won't be my face, it will be some surgeons idea of what my face should look like, I might get more complements from people with a new face but it will be all mainstream-people that would have never talked to me before and gotten to get to know me for me. My face isn't that bad, actually it's a lot like Bristol Palin's before she got the plastic surgery and I noticed that she got a really pointy chin which looks ugly to me and my boyfriend. Actually I noticed that after jaw surgery a lot of people get that pointy chin which I don't want, some people looked better in the before surgery pictures than the after pictures. It's psychological and I'm surprised that the guy who posted his pictures didn't go through a psychological evaluation because apparently all patients that are considering jaw surgery have to go through psychological testing. I don't consider myself the most beautiful person but I like my face and when I look in the mirror I recognize the image staring back as my face.
I must say most of the regret cases I read are the ones getting lower jaw advancements... which I could understand, I have the opposite issue and hate having a "heavier" lower face. It is really important to remember this surgery, though some insurance companies view as cosmetic, IS a functional surgery and you have to want the function badly enough to be willing to gamble on the form. Some people have stunning cosmetic results, but like you say, don't get used to it even if they look great, and others get a result that finally makes them feel normal, or makes them feel like it was the face they were meant to have all along.... I feel fixing a class III malocclusion would be akin to giving me the face I was supposed to have, had I developed normally.... but also the function that others take for granted. I'd love to have my bite look normal, but especially to be out of the extreme pain having an off bite causes. It's all risky at the end of the day, though.
I agree with all the posters, you look truly amazing and incredibly sexy after the surgery! I can totally understand and relate to your taking issue with a result you did not ask for, expect or want. I had no idea there was a difference with your nose, until you pointed it out.
Are you still unhappy? You look different, but the change is not bad. Having an underbite is a further deviation from facial averages and standards of beauty than what it is about your nose that you do not like now. Your face has more dimension now.
You look good both ways but before your face appears slimmer and nose smaller.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

My e-mail is: f*****@****.com (hopefully to see your progression on your blog)
Please use the Private Message (PM) system to give contact information.  Thank you!
Hi, I had 5mm upper jaw (so very similar to your surgery). Would you be able to give me access to your blog? I have similar concerns such as my nose and whatnot.
You definately look better after the operation. The face naturally changes over time. Don't be upset with yourself, you made the right decision.
I think you look great bro.
You look good post-op I wouldn't worry. Had the same surgery, I always look weird before and after though :P You do look cute before operation, and you look great after the operation. To be brutally honest, after the operation, although your nose is slightly larger, you look hotter. In 2009, I can tell you have a slender nose but your face lacks facial balance making you look cute, but off, if you get what I mean. Anyway, hope this helped. The appearance of your nose always changes operation, as did mine and a friends. My nose before operation was very very small, after surgery it became slightly bigger lol. I think its a normal outcome of the operation.
I think you are crazy, you look fantastic after your surgery. I see a big difference.
Hi there, my son is considering jaw surgery on his upper jaw and to be honest your results are giving me hope that it is safe and result is good ! Which means you young man are looking VERY smart and handsome . You are comparing to before and maybe you can notice change and are used too your previous look , but honestly you are looking great now so good im feeling more confident for my sons decision . Good luck
i also considered a nose job, but after weight loss the area around it shrinks which improves the general look.
i think you look much better since surgery and have a lovely smile. your nose looks great and i would be very pleased with the results. try to focus more on the things you love about it if you can :)