Regret Jaw Surgery for Underbite

I had upper jaw surgery, where my upper jaw was...

I had upper jaw surgery, where my upper jaw was moved forwards about 6mm. It has completely changed my face. Especially my nose. I did this surgery to correct a slight under bite.

Pro - no more underbite

Con - I am now self conscious about the way I look and fear going out in public.

Updated October 17, 2009

5 weeks ago I had upper jaw surgery to fix an underbite. The surgeon decided to move the upper jaw because he said I had flat cheeks, an under developed upper jaw.

He also said my nose would not change much. Well it did!!!

Now, I desperately want to fix it.

Should I have my upper jaw moved back to its original position and move the lower jaw back instead (a major surgery)?
Or should I have a nose job fix my upturned and flattened nose?

Can anyone tell me exactly what happened to my nose?

Is it possible to have the surgery undone? Will...

Is it possible to have the surgery undone? Will the surgeon consider doing this? Or would it be better to get a nose job?

It takes a couple of months for the swelling to...

It takes a couple of months for the swelling to completely go down. Still not completely satisfied though.

I was contemplating a nose job, but after looking...

I was contemplating a nose job, but after looking around and talking to some surgeons, it seemed like that operation is even riskier with a low percentage of patients who are satisfied. In the future, I might get both upper and lower jaws moved back, but for now, I'm seeing how long I can live with it.

I initially went in with the expectation that my lower jaw would be moved. Then about 15 days before the operation I was told that I should probably move the upper jaw as it would add to my flat cheeks. I was also told that my nose might change slightly. I wasn't informed that my face would completely change.

I think you look terrific. You look so much better than before!
Forgive me for sounding rude but why change it back? Your jaw before was huge bit like jaws. It's so normal now.
Guys for MOST of us this is not cosmetic, its necessary, I've know people (friends of my parents, not just in blogs) that have gotten jaw surgery at age 30-40 cause their teeth are killing them and they regret not having done the surgery earlier. So stop scaring people into not taking a good decision. Im 18 and I'm getting my surgery done and it's not because of cosmetics, I've already been told it's functional and it's because I don't wan't to regret it later on in my life, plus have to go through the surgery anyways sooner or later. All these comments about your face changing, I understand what you're going for, but at the same time you're accusing your surgeons of caring too much about the aesthetic and cosmetic benefits, and I think you're just going to the other extreme and also caring too much about the changes it could bring cosmetically and aesthetically. It makes much more sense to be preoccupied about the pain that surgery will bring than the changes. Sometimes we have to take a step for the better, as many of you claim, cosmetics isn't everything. Well if it isn't, why are you holding back on something that could benefit you in your lifestyle and functionally? I hope this comment helps people who are undecided about the surgery. And I'm conscious that all cases are different. So ask your doctor to explain if you're doubtful about their sincerity, tell them you want to know why it is functional. And if you're just scared about the cosmetic changes it will bring, then don't try to bring up a front of high self-esteem because caring too much about your appearance over your own health and benefit is low self-esteem. We are always going to assume the worst when given the chance, we just have to make a right decision and take on the consequences.
This comment is all a little too confusing, however, I think I understand what you are talking about, but at the same time I hope that you are not having a go at people for having the surgery for cosmetic reasons. I am having it done for both reasons. Unfortunately after many tests doctors do not always believe that you have any problems and in the end you are charged for a cosmetic procedure, so, money is involved as well and in Australia having jaw surgery is expensive. The surgery is risky and I hope that people are completely informed and have done their research. There is no such thing about scaring people away from having jaw surgery. If you see a maxilla-facial surgeon they will tell you exactly what they are going to do and the risks involved. Go on the internet and you can see images of how the surgery is done and blogs of people who have had the surgery. Every person is different and if there was a problem, cosmetic, disfiguring, mechanical or all of those things, every person is entitled to feel good about themselves. I ave done my research for over three years and know why I am going through with the surgery. Since my eight teeth were removed from my mouth when I was younger my facial structure changed dramatically and very fast. I have also had breathing, joint problems and head aches. My neck and back has played up as well and my tongue had no space, sometimes I took chunks out while eating. The orthodontist has moved my teeth down and forward to fill out my smile, my tongue has more room My surgeon is very honest and is not trying to take my money. She tried to talk me out of the surgery, however, she is happy to do the surgery which I will have in November. This is the second time in my life with braces and this time many more gadgets. However, I believe the surgery will make the difference this time. Hopefully my teeth will not move back again due to my small jaw. Good luck to any one who decides to have the surgery.
Good luck with your surgery ☺ I am looking into having it done out of desperation from an underbite AND TMJ and arthritis in my jaw... I can't take it anymore!!! The pain is beyond ridiculous and after ten years I'm further on the edge than ever before!!!!!!!!! Spent over 20 grand and seen every dentist, doctor and specialist I could find. Even saw an Ear, nose and throat specialist... I hope your surgery works and I hope they'll do it for me ☺ carebear-harvey@hotmail.com
Guys for MOST of us this is not cosmetic, its necessary, I've know people (friends of my parents, not just in blogs) that have gotten jaw surgery at age 30-40 cause their teeth are killing them and they regret not having done the surgery earlier. So stop scaring people into not taking a good decision. Im 18 and I'm getting my surgery done and it's not because of cosmetics, I've already been told it's functional and it's because I don't wan't to regret it later on in my life, plus have to go through the surgery anyways sooner or later. All these comments about your face changing, I understand what you're going for, but at the same time you're accusing your surgeons of caring too much about the aesthetic and cosmetic benefits, and I think you're just going to the other extreme and also caring too much about the changes it could bring cosmetically and aesthetically. It makes much more sense to be preoccupied about the pain that surgery will bring than the changes. Sometimes we have to take a step for the better, as many of you claim, cosmetics isn't everything. Well if it isn't, why are you holding back on something that could benefit you in your lifestyle and functionally? I hope this comment helps people who are undecided about the surgery. And I'm conscious that all cases are different. So ask your doctor to explain if you're doubtful about their sincerity, tell them you want to know why it is functional. And if you're just scared about the cosmetic changes it will bring, then don't try to bring up a front of high self-esteem because caring too much about your appearance over your own health and benefit is low self-esteem. We are always going to assume the worst when given the chance, you have to make a right decision and take on the consequences.
I had my upper jaw surgically expanded 4 months ago and thus winter I will have the top jaw surgically advanced forward. I started going to the orthodontist at age 4. At 16 he talked about surgery and I walked out. At age 31 I called the same orthodontist back up and told him I was ready to fix this. I am married with two kids so cosmetics wasn't a major issue. My husband loves me how I am. But my open bite is so bad that only my back 8 teeth actually touch. I have 18 teeth that do not touch another tooth. I also had a very bad cross bite. I was abnormally wearing my teeth down since I could only use a few teeth for chewing and my poor bite was giving me headaches. I also couldn't breathe out of my nose. The night of my expansion surgery I slept on my right side, which I could not do if I wanted to breathe, and breathed through my nose all night. My face is Fuller and less skinny and long. As an added bonus I lost 12 pounds! I have braces now and can't wait for my second surgery! Most of my headaches are gone and soon my bite will be closed. Best decision I ever made!
I think you look absolutely fantastic!!!! And, it looks slightly nicer than before (although I didn't think there was a big problem before.) Perhaps you have some "social anxiety". Because you are an extremely handsome man, so I can only think it is your WORRIES that are the problem. imho. Hope this is not offensive. I just truly think you look great and I certainly wouldn't do anything else. Your nose looks fine, from the photos.
I don't get it. You look 100% better. I think it's just excessive worry that causes this type of paranoia.
I had the same surgery done a few years ago and am just now finishing up after 4 years. If you're considering it, know that it is very painful and time consuming. I have migraine pains and was told that the surgery may cure them but they didn't. I very much regret having gone through with it. It did bother me a little but people still loved me for who I was and they don't care either way. People will say that you look good or better but ultimately it doesn't get me anything unless I get some lucrative modeling gig, which I'm sure won't happen. I wish I could go back and say no to those aggressive money hungry dentist and surgeon. They will convince you that it looks ugly, it will turn into some sort of medical issue and you need it and not give a crap about you afterwards. A lot of older people have it it doesn't medically bother them. If you're hard working, smart, and have people who love you in your life then forget about the surgery. People love others who are comfortable with themselves, I wish I realized that before. Best of luck either way. P.S.: If you have any questions about the whole process, feel free to ask me.
For a lot of is it already is a medical issue.... teeth breaking, falling out, sleep apnea due to recessed upper airway, etc. I am surprised to hear about the pain? Everyone I talk to (literally close to 100 over the last 2 years... directly, not just blog-viewing) say they are numb which masks the pain, and are only a bit sore and uncomfortable later on. I am no way discrediting your experience, and sorry you still suffer migraines (which of course could have many causes, I suffer from them but they are in no way due to my bite.... which causes plenty of other EXCRUCIATING pain). I'd love to come out looking better but at this point I am just tired of the sheer pain. May I ask the nature of your original occlusion? Everyone I have talked to with my occlusion say go for it. Objectively speaking of this man's case, which I have seen on other forums, he is 110% objectively more attractive and likely has better function. Of course, getting used to a whole new face can be very challenging even if it changes for the better. I will say on all my ortho and dentist consults, nobody ever told me it was ugly and they have all explained it is not a picnic. Sorry for your regrets, I know what surgical regrets are like.
Hi, thanks for the response. Anything to help me see this in a better light is helpful. Are you considering getting the surgery? I haven't met anyone with teeth damage due to an underbite yet. My brother still has one and he's perfectly fine with it. He talks to more girls and than I do too and people seem to like him more because he's confident and out-going so attractiveness isn't all about looks. Hopefully one day I will see what the benefits of getting the surgery done is but until then I just have to live with making a horrible decision 4 years ago when I was laying on that dental chair. People don't care what you look like at the end of the day, unless you're a model or something.
Why did you regret your jaw surgery if you don't mind me asking? I have booked an operation to have my lower jaw vertically reduced but its not a bite issue just purely aesthetic. I am dreading the swelling and pain afterward though. I will be relying on meal replacement shakes for the first few weeks. :-(
Yeah, I used to heat up canned ravioli and canned soups and blend them. Not the best but its quick and easy. I regret it because I've learned to realize that people don't care as much about what you look like as much as we think they do. Would you care if someone had a long chin as long as they were confident, ok with it, friendly, and pleasant to be around? In addition to this, I lost a lot of time away from my studies in this time. I had to remain in NY to do dental work so I couldn't leave the state to go to medical school so now I've lost all that time while all of my friends are graduating. That's really why I'm so bitter about this whole experience.
Best of luck either way. It's difficult for a little while but the pain goes away pretty quickly
That's very true. Most ventures like surgery are bitter sweet but good luck to you, you seem very smart and grounded.
Thanks for the compliment, that's very nice of you.
Did you go to the surgeon and dentist with your concerns? Or did one of them tell you "look ugly" and "turn it into a medical issue"? It's none of my business, except IF you went to one of them with what you felt was "a problem" of any sort, then they WILL give you an opinion, because, "everyone needs some improvement". I haven't personally run into a money hungry dentist or surgeon. So perhaps I am ignorant. But just wanted you to consider: which came first: did you ask for help and they expanded on it? Or were you simply "in for a check-up" and suddenly told everything was wrong? Under any circumstances, I hope you feel better. You're right, appearances don't matter to others, they only matter to ourselves (if they are minor). Good luck and thank you for posting. We all have an opportunity to learn, and it's kind of you to help us make our decisions.
Hey, thanks for the reply, I went in for a headache that I thought may have been caused my pain in my teeth. The dentist pointed towards my underbite and I asked her if this would fix the pain. She said probably. Then i proceeded to spend a lot of money, time and energy and still have the headache. I regret every minute of it but such is life.
OMG, yours really is a terrible story. I have to wonder, even though I'm married to a dentist (actually he's a periodontist which is actually a different kind of beast--perios don't much care for orthodontists and vice versa) and my daughter is a trauma surgeon. So I probably reacted to your saying they were money-hungry. Please accept my apologies. They said your HEADACHE could be caused by an underbite? Oh dear. This is definitely a miserable story. Lots of things cause headaches. Have you tried physical therapy? I feel like I've been preaching on my profession all night but I have to say I have a friend (PT) who is a headache specialist. They are out there, it just may take a little research to find the right one. Also, to deal with the other horrific pain: electrical stim has merit with recalcitrant pain, and I've used pulsed ultrasound on TMJ many times with success. (Believe me, I do NOT think PT is the answer for everything -- not at ALL!) But sometimes it can be successful and if I were suffering as you are, I would turn every rock to find a solution. God bless you...I hope this nightmare ends for you soon...don't give up hope!
When I was eighteen I was told that my jaw would need to be moved and corrected. At the time I was not told that my face would change, I did not go through the surgery because of the cost. Now in 2014 I'm doing research on what I need to do to correct my mouth and found out that jaw surgery can change the face. I am now trying to do research on how to fix my teeth without jaw surgery (and it's seems a lot of people are choosing to go without the surgery) because it's my face. It's the face that some people have loved and the face that my boyfriend fell in love with (he loves me as a person too but you get what I'm saying). Even if I become the most beautiful person on the planet it won't be my face, it will be some surgeons idea of what my face should look like, I might get more complements from people with a new face but it will be all mainstream-people that would have never talked to me before and gotten to get to know me for me. My face isn't that bad, actually it's a lot like Bristol Palin's before she got the plastic surgery and I noticed that she got a really pointy chin which looks ugly to me and my boyfriend. Actually I noticed that after jaw surgery a lot of people get that pointy chin which I don't want, some people looked better in the before surgery pictures than the after pictures. It's psychological and I'm surprised that the guy who posted his pictures didn't go through a psychological evaluation because apparently all patients that are considering jaw surgery have to go through psychological testing. I don't consider myself the most beautiful person but I like my face and when I look in the mirror I recognize the image staring back as my face.
I must say most of the regret cases I read are the ones getting lower jaw advancements... which I could understand, I have the opposite issue and hate having a "heavier" lower face. It is really important to remember this surgery, though some insurance companies view as cosmetic, IS a functional surgery and you have to want the function badly enough to be willing to gamble on the form. Some people have stunning cosmetic results, but like you say, don't get used to it even if they look great, and others get a result that finally makes them feel normal, or makes them feel like it was the face they were meant to have all along.... I feel fixing a class III malocclusion would be akin to giving me the face I was supposed to have, had I developed normally.... but also the function that others take for granted. I'd love to have my bite look normal, but especially to be out of the extreme pain having an off bite causes. It's all risky at the end of the day, though.
I'm having class III surgery done soon and all those posts were making me really worried. Thanks for the positivity.
Making me very nervous too.
I agree with all the posters, you look truly amazing and incredibly sexy after the surgery! I can totally understand and relate to your taking issue with a result you did not ask for, expect or want. I had no idea there was a difference with your nose, until you pointed it out.