Question Regarding Face Lift Complication - Was Hoping for a More Youthful Appearance

I am 8 weeks post op from a face lift. I have a...

I am 8 weeks post op from a face lift. I have a line that runs from my earlobe all around my face (including the chin). It appears as though the line is filled with blood. Additionally, on my left jaw line there is a semi-hard mass which the doctor has injected with steroid twice. The hard mass is getting smaller. I am very uneven and I think I look very "strange".

The doctor is not forthcoming with any information and I am very concerned that this is permanent.

At this point I am not very happy with the result. I was hoping for a more youthful appearance and at this stage I simply look distorted.

Any insight as to what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

Was not informed that what has happened was a possibility. Was told of other complications but not this. Was expecting to look great in 3-4 weeks and instead I look distorted.

I had a mini facelift 5 weeks ago. I also have hard masses on my face. This is the most depressing part of this experience. I had my 4 week post op appointment last week. My surgeon told me I am doing well and to give it time. I have done my Google research & I believe I probably read every comments posted on the Web on lumps after facelift. I guess we will just have to let time do its healing. Hope you will continue to post your progress.
Greetings, Update - Seven months post-op. Still have one large lump on my jawline near my chin. It appears to be scar tissue. After several discussions with my doctor regarding my disappointment in the results I decided to try fat injections to see if it would soften the look. We discussed having the doctor try and remove the scar tissue but from everything I've read I didn't want to take the chance that I would end up with more scar tissue rather than less. The fat injection seems to have helped a little, but I am only two weeks post-op from that procedure and I'm sure it will not look as good in three months. What I wanted the doctor to do is tighten my skin a little bit more so that the lump would fall further down on my jawline which would look much better (I've pulled the skin tight to see how that would look). I believe my doctor wants me to wait at least one year before he will even consider that option. I think this problem resulted in having drainage tubes placed in the jawline initially and not having the proper compression garment placed on my jawline after the tubes came out. I don't mean to sound negative here and I hope your recovery goes well. Keep massaging your lumps to keep as soft as possible as there is a chance they will smooth out over time.
I hope you eventually get the results you are seeking. I know it can be very frustrating. I've also heard a lot of surgeons don't like to use the drains as from what I've heard, the drains cause more problems with healing. Some surgeons swear by using the drains though.
You made a wise decision not to have another operation. I also have thought about fat injection. Please let us know if that works out or not. Hope everthing turns out well for you.
Hello: I had deep plane lift 2 weeks ago & I look distorted, "pulled back", & "plastic". did the Fat Transfer help? I would like to soften my face. I don't look like myself, & look "plastic". How long did it take you to look "normal"? How are you doing now?
Two weeks is way too soon to question the results. After two months I woke up one morning and felt dramatically improved, almost like nothing was getting better then suddenly my facial tissue softened. The first month, though, I kept a scarf skillfully wrapped around my face whenever I went out. I looked like a movie star! Please post in a couple more weeks. I found gently massaging the fat transfer areas and lightly running my fingers across my face seemed to stimulate the nerve recovery and softening.
Dear Gingerfleur: I saw your post and I wanted to let you know that I am in the same boat as you with the lump situation. Can you please tell me, did this ever get resolved? I'm hoping you can give me hope! Thanks for your reply. I hope you're now satisfied with the final result. My best to you.

I am looking at a surgeon in sacremento and now am very scared that yours may be him is there any way you could possibly email the name of your surgeon? It is so fustrating to not be able to know the names of the not so positive accounts although i understand why. I hope things improve for you.good luck!

Full recovery from scarring, swelling and blemishes can take up to six months.
Give it time to heal and soften. you are probably still swallen, you may have some blood . If your doctor is not forthcoming ask your questions directly and you deserve a truthfull straight forward answer to all your questions. We may NOT have all the answers but We should have the courage to say I DO NOT KNOW
Hi Dr. Shureih, thank you for your reply. I called my Dr and he said it's going to take time. It's been 7wks and I had my cortisone shot in the large lump 1wk ago. He said it takes 2 to 3wks for the shot to kick in. I felt better after his pep talk and I guess I have to be more patient. Sometimes I think I see a little improvement but then I think I'm wishing it to be all better that I'm seeing things. I see the Dr Wednesday. Thank you again.
I'm 5 weeks post op and I have a large hard lump on my cheek and bumps on the other cheek. I'm also very swollen. I'm very upset. I got to the Dr tomorrow.
Greetings e1948, I am now 16 weeks post op. I have had three steroid injections in the lump and massage it daily. The lump is getting smaller. The hardness in my chin is getting better too. While all of this is getting better I am still not happy with the results, and I did express this to my doctor the last visit. I remember when I first went to see the doctor...he asked me "how young do you want to look". This time when I went to see him, I told him I thought I actually looked older due to the lumps and bumps and he didn't tighten my skin enough. His response to me was that "everyone was getting older". I couldn't believe my ears. He also implied that I would have to wait 1 year before any additional surgery could be performs. Good luck and keep me posted. truckin916
Hi trucking916. Thank you for the reply. I can't believe your Dr said that to you. Today I think I saw a little improvement but VERY little. I find that I look less swollen in the morning and as the day progresses I get worse. I also can't open my mouth very wide. The right side is tighter and when I laugh my face is crooked. My adult children are mad at me for doing this but my husband is being very supportive. I didn't expect this to be such an ordeal. Please keep in touch. e1948
My lump has improved as well! My doctor was right. It's difficult to be patient. Good luck!
Same problem here. This is my 4th week and I have a hard line where the drainage tube was on my left side of face, as well as swelling. Also, I have a hard bump or lump on right chin. Have you tried ultra sound?
Greetings David22, Thanks for responding to my post. I have not tried ultrasound. I am now 2 months post op. The doctor has injected steroid in the lump along my jawline twice now and I massage almost daily. The doctor implied that this is scar tissue. The lump is getting smaller and I go back to the doctor next week and am assuming I will get another steroid injection. I too have a hard lump/bump on my chin and it is swollen. The hardness and the swelling seem to move from the right to the left side. This too seems to be improving with time. I plan to specifically asked the doctor about this on my next visit. Hang in there and keep me posted on your results.
It is almost 2 weeks and that is what I have...a hard line where the drainage tube was on the left side of my face. He took the right one out the day after surgery but kept the left one in for another 3 days. I know I need to be patient but I work with the public and honestly don't want to leave the house until it is gone. Did yours go away? Also, I had my upper eyes done in December and although I am healing I still have a raised red scar which I believe is called hypertopia. I use silicone strips on my eye lids and it does seem to help. I am glad I did the surgeries separately because I think he saw the way that I heal and I am sure he was very careful with the scars by my ears during facelift. Any comments? Much appreciated.
It's been 2 yrs since my surgery and I STILL have red scars behind my ears, and I have to use something to hide the scars as I wear my hair up all the time. You are 2 wks post op, so I would say, to be honest, it could take up to six or more months for healing. Good luck.
HI, Have you tried the silicone strips and or scar gel? I think some people just scar and some don't. I think eventually the scars behind your ears will fade from red to a more natural color. I am constantly keeping something on my scars to keep them moist.
I read one woman's review and I believe it took her 5 months to get where she was truly pleased with results. I know when I had upper and lower blephs, it took me 3 months for all of the swelling to go away. However, I have problems with increased swelling and bruising anyway.
I too have some dents on the sides of my face. I am hopeful that these won't be permanent but it is very traumatic and depressing. My doctor isn't very forthcoming with information either. It seems like when they encounter complications, instead of being helpful and reassuring, they change to being cautious and tight-lipped about what they say. Keep us apprised of your condition. I really hope you get better.
Thank you SugarTime for responding to my post. I will keep you updated on my progress and hope you will do the same. Keep the faith that all will turn out well in the end.