Persistent Swelling on One Side 2 Years Later

I had a facelift 2 years ago and noticed a lot of...

I had a facelift 2 years ago and noticed a lot of swelling afterwards. It seemed to take a long time to go away but it did not look that bad.

The problem now is that the left side still looks swollen but the right side has normalized . The difference in the 2 sides has become more and more apparent.

Has anyone had a facelift years ago and had facial swelling persist only on one side?

Since this last post I have seen another facial...

Since this last post I have seen another facial plastic surgeon and he has said that he does not think the asymmetry was caused by the prior surgery. I have to disagree since it was never there before that. The good news is that he has done some Sculptra treatments on me and it has helped a lot. I expect it to help even more since it improves with time. Overall I do not regret having my lower face done- I look fresher and well rested and happier overall!

Unfortunately I do not know anybody in Austin. I agree with you fat transfer will do fill and balance the face. But you need someone with experience and artestry
I think this is a permanent asymetry. This is not swelling after 2 years.Could be scar due to prevous hematoma. If this bothers you then you may need another surgery if you are willing to undergo another surgery. It will be interesting to review your pictures before the surgery and after the surgery to see if you had some asymetry prior to surgery. I always ask for preop pictures to evaluate
Thank you Dr. Shureih, I think you are right about it maybe being a scarred hematoma. My face was not asymetric before the procedure. I am wondering if maybe a fat transfer on the less swollen side might makes things look a bit more balanced and not be as invasive as another surgery? Also do you have any suggestions for someone to see in the Austin or Temple Texas area for a consultation about this? I do not want to see the surgeon who did the surgery(he is in Houston) Thank you for your help and suggestions. tecece
Just be patient, I had mine on 9/13/09 and everyday there is a little change. I have swelling at the end of the day, I feel in my checks and neck. Everyday it is a tad better.
How is the swelling now? I am 56 and had a lower facelift and neck lift six weeks ago and my neck is still swollen on one side and it's pulling the jaw line down. The lumps under the chin are getting better but the neck is still so tight and I still have some bruising on the side where I have swelling. I can't stand not being able to look up naturally. My neck feels too tight and I feel like I'm trapped and I have bad claustraphobia so this is becomming very frightening to me. I try to stay calm and tell myself that it will improve with time. My PS says it's normal for the swelling and bruisng to last for a while. Each week that passes without improvement causes me more anxiety. If I had known that my neck would feel like this I never would have had the surgery. This evening I completely lost it and just let out this long moan while my dauhgter sat by helplessly. She feels guilty for not talking me out of this surgery. She said maybe she just didn't want to see her mother look older. I was all for it. I've always been a bit impulsive. The neck looks good if I just look straight on into the mirror and side profile looks good if my hair is not pulled back. The one side that is swollen is leaving a red crease up to my ear because of the swelling. Also I'm getting verticle cords running up the middle of my neck if I lift it up about 20 degrees. I keep hoping that when the swelling subsides I will be able to move my neck more easily. I know we don't normally walk around looking up but I want to be able to without that tight trapped feeling. I have to open my mouth to tilt my head back and look up. My younger daughers tried to make me feel better by saying they have to do that when they look up. Someone please tell me they had this feeling and that it went away.
tecece....Did Dr. Kridel do your facelift? I am curious because I had rhinoplasty by Dr. Kridel summer2009 and now it is 4 months post op. I am not very satisfied. He gave me the profile I asked for but at the price of a changed front view. I have had uneven swelling but it is getting better. The big disappointment is a upper side dorsal bump that doesn't harm the profile thank goodness but it does cause my nose to look a bit crooked front on especially with the increased swelling on the opposite lower side. I keep hoping by one year I will not regret this surgery at all. I feel so foolish because I thought just cause he had all those wonderful creditials and charges so very, very much ...he must be the absolute BEST!! But...now I wish I would have just lived myself the way I was. Also...I think the recovery was especially rough since I allowed the Dr. to make incisions outside my nostrils for alar base reduction. I strongly advise others to say no to outside cuts...they are tuff to look at after...takes longer to recover!
I had a necklift with a SMAS facelift, (eyes,neck, mid face) in Mexico with excellent results. I was told that it is not unusual to have some swelling come and go for several months. I worried at 6 weeks when the jawline became puffy and the jowl point on the jaw looked puffy. I became anxious over each change, finally realized these minor swellings may come and go for a while. I was told that around 6 weeks there is fibrosis and to massage gently. I was told to do so 3 weeks post op as well. The tight feeling under the neck feels good to me, has lessened after 8 wks. I look at the change in the mirror and would do this agin, I had no pain, my scars are minimal though a little red 2 months post surgery. I still have the shadows of the bruises under eyes and down one side of my mouth very slowly fading. Others say they can't see them. So, I would do a neck-lift again, I have a scar under my chin easily concealed and healing over time. I did find that an airplane trip 3 weeks post surgery swelled my face a lot for several days after. Has anyone else had that? And the jawline swelling after 6 weeks? It seemed like the swelling was moving down with gravity, I don't know for certain.
I would never advise anyone to have a necklift and if I had know more about the procedure before undergoing it, the after effects I mean I would not consider it, it wasmy surgeon who suggested this to correct the excess skin on either side of my face. It has changed my life for the worse and not for the better I have not been able to socialize now for 6 weeks and it looks like its going to take longer with the lumpiness I have on my cheeks. The tightness around the throat is the worse. I deeply regret this.
Hopefully things are improved now, I had mine on 9/13/09. It is normal to have the swelling, my neck is still tight by the end of the day. My cheeks are still sensitive and yes the recovery is longer than expected. I did not go back to work for two weeks due to the bruising. I would do it again! I believe you get what you pay for, when deciding upon the doctor, do not let money get in the way of your decision, especially for the quick lifts.
I live in Houston and am considering a facelift-may start with just the lower area. can I ask who your physician was? I am considering Dr. Kridel. Supposedly one of the top face lift docs in Houston.
It was not Dr. Kridel !
Dr. Steven Hamilton on Fannin for anything related to face/neck.