Hyaluronidase Nightmare - Permanent Damage to Lower Eyelid Tissue?

10/08 juvederm in tear troughs for eyebags/dark...

10/08 juvederm in tear troughs for eyebags/dark circles (looked great). 04/17/09 restylane in tear troughs (top up). Unhappy with the result. 06/15/09 dissolved with hyaluronidase. All product dissolved. Big mistake! Within hours of the hyaluronidase injections my lower eyelids were terribly swollen (like large bags of water) and black - much worse than original bags.

I used Advantan steroid cream in case it was an allergy to the hyaluronidase. Not much improvement in the swelling. 06/26/09 juvederm ultra put in tear troughs because it looked so bad that I had to do something. Product was placed the same as in Oct 08, but has not had the same effect. In Oct 08 the juvederm corrected the puffiness and bags and felt 'firm' under the skin. This time the puffines and bags are still there despite the juvederm.

The skin feels spongy and there is a layer of jelly-like fluid across both of my lower eyelids, including over the juvederm (I can feel the product beneath the spongy layer). I have used all of the recommended treatments for eyelid edema - ice, cold compress, warm compress, bruise/swelling cream, caffeine lotion etc etc etc. I sleep with my head elevated. Nothing works. The puffiness and swelling remain. My left side is particularly bad.

What should I do to resolve the puffiness and swelling in the lower eyelids? Will it resolve over time? If so, how long should I expect to wait? Or has the hyaluronidase done irreversible damage to the tissue of my lower eyelids and the edema is therefore permanent? There is not much information about hyaluronidase on the internet. I look ghastly. Please help.

Omg the same thing just happend to me:( will it go way? If so in how long please help I'm depressed ...
Thanks everyone for the comments! How couldcyou trust dermatologists or companies that lie about their products. I read sculptra actually casuse inflamation and other fillers cause scar tissue but they fool ppl that they increase your collagen production. Im so done with introducing aliens to my body , might try structural fat graft, atleast its my own tissue... Good luck to all of you and myself too just be careful to not end up with what i experienced.
Hi ,i am in my twenties, i visit a nurse and she told me that juvederm lift your cheeks so i trust her and after inhrction i was so depressed , felt sick and swollen ,eyes were smaller than ever, no lift at all. She said it's gonna be better after few days! 3 days after , i woke up and saw a disaster in my face.dark deep hollows under eyes and smile lines on my face , i aged 15 years in 3 days. Can i sue the juvederm company or get my money back ? Can i make the nurse lose her job annd feel as bad as i feel? How can i fix this ?im so scared to inject to my new hollowed face to get worse than this! Oh i now have loose skin like pre jawls ...
Seeing a lawyer regarding possible suit about a disfigurement from a cosmetic procedure is something that has been done, yet it seems to me that very few people ever take that first step. We spend lots of money to look better. Sometimes our bodies do not heal properly. Sometimes whether we look better or not depends on who is looking at us. Sometimes, we are disfigured due to practitioner error or some other reason that not on the patients end. It's in these cases, that the patient should consult a lawyer. It's been only 3 days though and there is often some swelling that can last a week, possibly even longer. I would ask the practitioner how long it should take MAXIMUM to have your (final) result, which is the result at it's best, with all swelling, bruising, needle marks, etc. gone. If after that time you still feel you had a bad result, I urge you to consult a lawyer, preferably one who specializes in disfigurement or bad cosmetic result. I urge you to see a lawyer rather than tell you that it may be a good idea because I understand that there is NO LAWYER FEE, no charge whatsoever unless you receive money from your lawsuit. If you receive money, the lawyer gets a certain amount of money from you or from your settlement, not sure of the details. Some cosmetic procedures are subject to the statute of limitations, which in the USA has a time limit of one year from the time of the procedure. However, this should not always apply because often, you are not even healed until a year post op! In the case of injectables, which is what you had, patients (including myself) have waited 2, 3 and even more years waiting for the injected substance to dissipate, which normally occurs eventually. In any case, at least in the USA, seeing a lawyer costs only the amount of your transportation cost to and from the lawyer (some even make "house calls", I understand), you have nothing to lose by seeing a lawyer straight away. Good luck and keep us posted. Remarkably to me, this is the first post in this thread that I know of where a legal issue has been mentioned. I was thinking of mentioning it myself! I hope your face improves enough on it's own, so you don't have to deal with what the rest of us on this thread have had to deal with for quite a while. Again, hope you keep us posted.
I don't want to forget that trying to sue could be emotionally unpleasant as well as time-consuming. I don't want you to think all you do is see a lawyer, the lawyer tells you yes you have a possibly case or no and in the case of a yes does the work for you and then you either receive money or you don't. I heard that many of these suits are settled out of court. In this case, maybe all you have to do is what I just described -- in and out and win the suit if the judge thinks you fit the criteria. However, it could require that you go to court. In that case you may have to "face" the nurse of someone else on the nurse's behalf. I don't know. What I am sure of, at least in the USA is that there are no costs or fees unless you win. In the USA If any lawyer tries to collect money at any other time and for any other reason, you need to look for another lawyer or look into the matter further because something is wrong.
First of all, every state has a different statute of limitation for bringing medical malpractice suits- WI is three years. You really need to stop giving out legal advise you clearly no nothing about.....It's getting old and is helping no one.... Claudia
Hey, try going back to that doc and see if they will inject vitrase or Hya to dissolve the filler. Or, find another reputable, trusted doc who has experience in using Vitrase or Hya to dissolve that filler....The first Doc should inject Vitrase or Hya at no charge since they did the filler to begin with, but in the event they don't, I would seek out a different doc, pay the new fee, and get your pre-injected look back once again- Good luck...
Hope that wasn't directed at me. As far as I know CO has a 2 year stature and I have only given details of my own experience.
no, that was for Philaskeptic.... Telling people there is a one year statute of Limitations in all states to file... I don't care for wanna-be lawyers....Unless they actually know what they are talking about... Every state is different, as you just proven....and that was my point intended for Philaskeptic....Sorry if you thought it was toward you...
Ohhh good. All cool. Btw my eyes after 4 years now still puffy and crepe. Still trying to afford bleph.
Have you tried Vitrase? Seriously, it works.... They say pictures a worth a thousand words... Check out how full my cheeks and under eye areas were due to that filler and what I now look like today thanks to my MD, Kevin Robertson and Vitrase injections. The best photo's are under my first review (Hya to the rescue") with better updated photo's under my review ( brow lift revision).... I would think Vitrase could remove filler even after four years... Have you tried anything like that yet?
I never advise going back to a bad doc. Makes NO sense.
You're quoting me in absolutes. I am too careful with my wording to ever do that. The one year is general for PS in some states. If I used absolutes my posts would be much shorter -- there would not be much for me to describe.
How do you know it's helping no one!? I was replying to juvedermtrash, because the patient described looking worse than before the procedure and described being told that something would take place within a certain period of time and it not panning out to be true. The one-year limitation is general information that someone can ask a lawyer about. As I described, it may not be true in all the USA and may not be true for certain procedures. It's better to go to a lawyer with some questions because we tend to learn more that way. My advice about this would hurt no one. If you really comprehend what I'm saying is that anyone can EXPLORE and I'm offering pieces of info that more than one Internet legal site said. Analogy, in response to my request for spine decompression, the guy answering the phone at the physical therapy office mentioned that the office uses a decompression machine. In the past I had been told by a medical practitioner (not sure what type) that my condition is contraindicated for treatment with decompression machines. The guy answering the phone mentioned it as a POSSIBILITY, he did not say in any certain terms that it would be for me. It's good he did mention it though, because without it, I would not have thought that perhaps now, there is a machine for that purpose that IS recommended for my condition. He gave me a new question I can take to my doctor.
Hi
Wow. That's so distressing. The doctors want us to trust them then they leave us disfigured. Sad. Hope in time yours will fade away! Keep us up to date please!
Thru browsing I found these site too late. I just had botox to address a deep skin fold in between my eye brows. My face is heavily scarred by acne thru the years but it is now clean and break out free but scarred. The only thing that I just wanted is to ge rid of this deep folds in my forehead in between the brows. So I got botox and the results were WOW, skin tone improved and fairly looked beter but still there is a fold and I am happy, then the doctor suggested that she will administer Restylane and that her most senior and competent Aestheticist will administer the filler. She broke a blood vein during Restylane administration and the vein that was injected Restylane started getting heavily bruised down to the tip of my nose in 2-3 hrs and the pain and pressure was terribly painful, the next day they injected hyaluronidase to correct it, the pressure subsided but it left a dark deep crevice following the veins and it look a like a deep purple from the forehead down to my nose. The whole affected vein burned and turned out like a deep wound. This only happened last week. I am so dissapointed and felt so low right now. I don't know what to do, the dermatologist has referred me to another doctor tomorrow. I don't know what's going to happen. I am thinking to get my Restylane procedure of $700 refunded at least and negotiate a treatment plan for this damage for free. I know lawsuits here in Canada for this type of case has never been favorable to victims and lawyers doesn't seem interested to take my case. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Shazam
(my forehead down to the tip of my nose looks like there's a lightning wound on! sigh)

My swelling went away about a year ago. I had swelling for about 3 years after filler under eyes and subsequent hyaluronidase. Luckily I didn't resort to a lower bleph, as suggested by some doctors and others, as that would have left me with very hollow eyes at this point. I still use botox around my eyes once or twice a year, with a good dermatologist. Seems filler under the eyes can cause some serious damage. I'll never do that again.

Hi Susan do you think your own HA has regenerated back to normal now? I mean there's always normal aging but i think you know your body and would be able to tell the difference in how it looks before the hyaluronidase and then after. And then after that (when the welling went away).

Yes, it seems I'm back to normal. It was really strange that it took so long. I probably didn't need the filler that much, I let the doctor and his staff convince me to do things I shouldn't have done. I guess after seeing how bad the swelling looked, I have a new appreciation for my natural look!

That's great, that really gives me hope. It seems you did the right thing by leaving it along and not getting lower bleph.

I think they should be testing hyaluronidase on normal tissue, like underside of forearm or something to see how much skin it dissolves and when it returns to normal...at least then they can speak with some certainty how the skin may react to it. Would it be so difficult to carry out a test like that ???
girl_Los...Sounds good, as long as the tissue is similar enough to the area they're testing for (in contrast to the area being tested, for example, under arm). Skin is so thin near the eyes. I think that's at least one of the factors the doctors didnt realize.
That was just an idea at the top of my head...born out of frustration and anger. I am just very curious to know what medical research has been done regarding vitrase effects on your own HA.
how time it take you ,, im going thought the same the hylauronidase have dissolve my own ha in one cheek , I dont know what to do , Im 36 and I look 60
susan19713, during those 3 years how frequent was the swelling? I am 4 months out and swelling every other week. My doctor wants to administer hyaluronidase to stop the swelling, but are you saying you kept swelling even after the hyaluronidase? I, too, am so sorry I did this. Originally wanted a lower bleph, but my doc convinced me this would be less invasive. Didn't expect it to be disfiguring.