Chin Implant Removal

I got a chin implant 4 years ago to improve on my...

I got a chin implant 4 years ago to improve on my profile. However, the implant gave my face a long apperance, so i had if removed 5 months later. My chin has never look the same, i have alot of loose skin as well as scar tissue.

I wouldn't recommend getting this done, I only wanted a little projection but the results were way more drastic then i ever could have imagined.

He said that the results would be very subtle. And the results were far from subtle

Hi there, I had posted back in 2011 because i got an XL silicone implant inserted by a surgeon in NYC. I'm not a very big guy - 5' 8" and the implant made my face look really long and wide. I had a really tough time dealing with it and a month, 20lb wt loss later (b/c i felt so horrible and nervou about what i did to myself) I had the implant replaced with a medium sized implant by the same surgeon. Although that implant was an improvement, it still made my face look wider than i was comfortable with. The implant also wasn't adjusted to fit my own slightly asymetrical chin, so it wound up looking really crooked. I went to another surgeon and had the medium silicone implant replaced with a porous implant that was screwed to my chin since the all the surgeons I consulted recommended a fixed implant after silicone. That was my third chin implant. I made my concerns clear but i still woke up to see that on side was exactly what i had asked for, but the other side ofthe implant was rounded and still protruded on the side more than i liked. In all fairness, my family in friends thought i was taking this too far b/c the assymetry wasn't very noticable until i mendtioned it. I was still not happy with the results. I stressed out about having it revised a 4th time since I knew there was a risk that I still would not be happy with it. I consulted with Dr. Zide a total of 3 times before scheduling the surgery b/c I was so nervous. I finally had the 4th revision earlier this month and I am so happy with the results. Dr. Zide listened to what my dissatisfactions were and addressed them the was I was hoping he would. It has been a very long, expensive, emotional journey but I can finally say I am ready to put this experience behind me. I am gratefull to Dr. Zide and I wish that i had done more research before having the original surgery. I thought it was going to be an easy simple fix but it was just the opposite. I hope this helps people that may find themselves in a similar situation.
Hi Los3- Thanks for sharing! Any issues with removing the XL implant in terms of managing the soft tissue? how did the surgeon deal with that aspect? I have to beleive the skin and tissue within the chin stretched... Thanks!
Hi-Are you asking me or Erick?
Hi, did you ever have the implant removed? How did it go? I've had an XL silicone extended anatomic implant inserted a month ago and am having it removed but am very anxious about how it'll turn out. Any input would be appreciated!
There is a Doctor who specializes in this type of problem & it's called 'witches chin'. The doctors name is Barry zide & he's in NY. Below is his website.... chinsurgery.com
I would not use him, he did my chin and used metal screws in my jaw. I am not happy with his work and I cant change it because of the screws!
Hi westsidegirl, sorry to hear you're not happy with Mr Zide's work. Yes he uses metal screw fixation to reattach the mentalis muscle origins back in their normal position on the bone just below the lower lip. Its a very reliable method to fix a very active muscle which has a habit of pulling away if just sutures are used. As far as I'm aware, these screws can be removed. I've heard of metal plates and screws being used for temporary healing then removed from the body. However, if your screws are removed there will of course be nothing to hold mentalis muscle up, and so your chin pad would slump and with it the lower lip. What is it exactly that you're not happy about? The idea of screws? Or is it the position of your lower lip or look of the chin following his surgery? How is your function? I think it could be changed if need be, but what's troubling you?
my jaw line does not flow even, I don't like the position of the implant, it made my face look shorter, i have to spend tons of $$ on fillers to even it out every six months..
Removal of a chin implant carries a risk of cosmetic disfigurement of the chin pad. You should have been warned of this prior to your original operation, and again before the surgery to remove it. The disfigurement is more likely to arise when a big implant is used and remains in place for months or years. A capsule of scar tissue forms around the implant and when its removed, the scar tissue keeps the shape of the implant, contracts and produces a ball-shape at the chin pad, or puckering / furrowing. You may be able to get some cosmetic improvement by having another implant put it. If you decide to do this, make sure you find a surgeon is open to looking at all the different styles and sizes of chin implants that are available, and who may be willing to sculp the back of the implant for it to sit how you want on your chin bone and not point down too much creating the effect of a longer face. Some people want this, but not everyone. Good luck.

I had a chin implant performed on 11/30/2010. I realize that I prefer the way I originally looked which had sharp narrow facial features. Now my chin is more wide and round, looks like I gained weight, I look meaner and rugged, have a longer face, and a masculine look. I am severely depressed and will have the implant removed on Tuesday, 12/14/2010, which marks 14 days since the implant was inserted.

All I want is to look exactly (100%) the way I was pre-op. I'm afraid that even though it has been 14 days that this may not be possible. I don't want any loose or stretched out skin. I truly miss the shape of the chin that I was born with.

What do you think the overall results will look like. The implant was inserted under the chin, the implant was a chin guard shape made out of silicone material, and its been in for 14 days. I don't know the exact size was, but out of two sizes the surgeon suggested the larger one for a more masculine look. A size of over 5-6mm is considered large.

Erick

Erick- I too am faced with the possibility of having an implant removed, though I've had mine for several years. Given that you've only had your's a few months, you should be a good candidate for removal, depending on certain other factors. The surgeon may need to deal with the underlying soft tissue by performing a procedure similar to that used to correct the witch's chin deformity. Make sure you're satisfied with the way your surgeon plans to deal with the capsule left after the implant is removed. There is more to it than just removing the implant.
Hello: Same sad story....wanted just the slightest projection on my chin and 3 implants and $10,000 later nothing but huge nightmare and my BIGGEST regret. Just want to know if you ever had you're implant removed and if you were happy with the results? Thanks a lot!, Ella