Chemical Peel Gone Bad

My primary doctor (at the time) was doing laser...

My primary doctor (at the time) was doing laser and derm practices. He had advertised medical grade chemical peels. I called the office and went in for a patch test. He did a 30% TCA peel near my ear area. There wasn't much action when i had gone it to get it checked 4 days later.

When I had gone in for the procedure, he had used a Jessner peel, a 30% TCA, and a 50 % TCA. Which I didn't find out til I ended up seeing a dermatologist 2 weeks later. (they needed my medical records) A friend of my had gotten me in to see her derm right away)

The third day into the peel I noticed the right lip/cheek area had a deep purple/reddish look to it. I questioned the doctor about it and he said everything looks "perfect"

Well anyway, you can see for yourself it didn't turn out perfect. I have scars on the lip area and about a 4 in scar across my forehead. The photos I have posted are 7 days after peel. The left side of my face doesn't look too bad, but the right side and forehead are a mess. Will Dermabrasion help with the scarring?

Will Microdermabrasion help with scarring from a...

Will Microdermabrasion help with scarring from a Chemical peel?

Jilzy123 I know this is from a long time ago but did the nerve damage ever heal? What does the nerve damage feel like in the face? I think I may have that. Ultra-sensitive to everything
Hi nerve damage heals by itself dont use chemical skin products, clean your face with baby soap and use shea butter with almond oil as day and night creme , you can also Add bio oil good luck
I had a peel a month ago, the DR used a 70% my face has burned so bad, I went back to see her a week after and she gave me fucibet cream, that helped with the pain, but my face looks like it will scar, I have been back again, and she has given me Kelso cote silicone, She said I need laser but I think it maybe to soon,as some parts of my face still have yellow patches. Any one had this, the peel was left on me for two minutes, she only used water to rinse my face after peel. Please help
I have performed several peels on myself, the strongest was a 30% TCA, so I can't imagine what a 70% would do. Think positive, your face won't scar, but you will have to baby it. I mixed myself a cream made up of of Aloe Vera gel, Vitamin E Cream, a heavy moisturizer (i.e. Nivea, Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair, CeraVe,) Scar gel, Triple antibiotic ointment, and Hydrocortisone cream, the last three tubes can be purchased at the Dollar store. I mixed them them all together and applied it to the affected areas frequently throughout the day, whenever the skin felt dry or tight. Whatever you do, don't pick the skin, or peel it. If it itches like crazy, I read that if you combine 1 tsp of white vinegar in a cup of warm water to rinse your face with at night is supposed to take the itch away. Adding a cream with some zinc in it on top of the post-peel moisturizing cream at nighttime helps with healing and itch. You don't want to pick at it in your sleep. I have used Johnson's diaper rash cream with zinc on top of the moisturizer with good results. Sometimes with a peel, the worse it looks, the better the results in the long run. Don't pick at it or peel it before it's ready, and you should be fine.
I had a croton oil and phenol peel 24 days ago. It burned and hurt badly. I had to put some white pure vinegar in water and put a small towel in the liquid and then on my face. It did help. Hope you are better.
Use Aquafor instead!!!
hello I did a Jessner Chemical Peel and I couldn't wait the entire period for the dead skin to fall off due to work, so once it appeared loose I began to remove it, now its a week after the peel and my face looks worst it has burnt my forehead, and my cheeks and my nose looks so rough an unpleasant, can you please advise what should I do to better my skin's surface...thank you....
Dear i also had nerve damage on my nose because of lactic acid 15% i left it to long, my skin is very sensitive imagine if i had such a strong peeling probaly my bones would stick out, my nose also hurts when it cold, my father told me he warned me not to do this peelings, i was very stuburn, use organic face products and pure aloe vera plant for your skin, if you ever wont to do a peeling neoderma organic bio peel is the best peeling, but first your nerves has to heal, and we have to be patienced

Im so concerned, I used rx tattoo removal about 4 months ago,and it burned and turned red as it said it would.Then just a week ago I tried it again and it was so painful not like before, now its like a deep wound, it bled and wont heal. Im scared. I put bandaids on because its on my breast and keeps bleeding

I would definitely recommend you make an appointment to see your doctor. Better to be safe & have it checked out.

Traitor to health? After a Toronto Star study, Canadian officials have acknowledged that the country utilized the infamous chemical herbicide Agent Orange to kill roadside brush from the 1950s to the 1980s. The herbicide Agent Orange is infamous as a chemical warfare agent that was utilized by the U.S. military throughout the Vietnam War. In accordance with a wide variety of scientific studies, the chemical agent is responsible for massively high instances of genetic defects in areas where it's dispersed.
Please trust me on this. Not every doctor is perfect. The scars you have may fade or lesson over years, but they may not go away. Bad chemical peels are actually quite common. What may seem like a minor scar now, may be a big problem in the years to come as your skin and age change. This is the time to secure an attorney (before the one year date) and cover yourself. You will find it difficult and expensive to have corrective procedures done, because many doctors avoid cases when there is already some type of poor procedure. Then again, there are many wonderful doctors who take on such cases. Don't let this pass, as you may be very sorry in the years to come. Dr. McCloud Retired
oooh I am soooo sorry. I had a similar episode to. I went to this spa and the lady combined microdemabrasion with a gygolic peel and the first time was okay the second time she combined it again and it caused discoloration on my forehead. I went back to her and she put a medium to dseep peel which she said will correct the discoloration all of this was done within a 6 week period.The third one gave me more discoloration. I thought she knew what she was doing because she told me she is very experience with people of my color. I went back to her very upset and she told me it woud fade within 3 months. Its been 6 months now and the scars r still there. I am sooo depress. I don't even look into mirrors anymore. I am now seeing a skin specialist who applied this peel from pca she said it was designed for people of color. She said by the 4 peel i should be okay.It was a very mild peel. She said i might need between 4-5 every 3 weeks to see a n improvement. I hope so. I want the discloration to go so bad. It has affected my self esteem soooooo much. I wish u luck. I'll keep u in prays.
Hello I am Glad the scars are a little Better. I would recommend using SILICONE GEL SGEETING ON THE SCARS. Use it at night. You may need a prescription for it.It makes the scar matures faster
Sorry for your unfortunate problems. I truly doubt microdermabrasion will help. But if it makes you feel better than go ahead. I would wait a total of 12 to 18 months for FULL healing. Than try IPL treatments . This was a medium peel that possibly got a staph infection during the initial healing. It makes one wonder why a test with 30% TCA and than Jessner's for the peeling. Testing show intent to do the right thing but switching for a much stronger solution is very unusual. Good Luck
It's been 10 months since my chemical peel. The scarring is still noticeable after 3 dermabrasion treatments. I'd have to say the scarring is a bit softer, but the skin still has the whitish/bluish/gray color to it. Derm said the treatments won't help with the coloring. The nerve damage on the lip and forehead are VERY frustrating. Now that the weather is getting colder, it hurts/itches/stings so much more than it did in the summer. The only thing that will help with nerve damage is time. Thank you all for your comments!!!!
That is the results from wanabe plastic surgeons Eventually you may have superficial scars. I would recommend waiting 3-6 month then treat with skin care and fractional co2 laser
Well, I definitely have scarring, on the lip/cheek and forehead area. I also have nerve damage in those areas. I have had 3 dermabrasion treatments and am due for the 4th next week. The scars do appear softer on the outline, but are still very noticeable. Dr. said dermabrasion wont help with the nerve damage or discoloration from the peel. The cold weather and my face are not friends. It hurts so bad. I just keep my face covered. Thats all I can do. Thank you Dr Shureih, for your imput.
I know what you have and are still experiencing. Like you, I had a glycolic peel that, by medical standards, should not have cause severe facial burns. It has been 11 weeks and I am still under the care of my dermatologist. He says it could take 6-8 months to heal and maybe longer. What I don't understand is why your primary care doc would 'dig out' a scab. That normally causes scarring which you were trying to prevent. Also, nerves that a long time to heal. I have had nerve damage several times and while slow, some or all of the may come back to normal. It is unfortunate that things like this happen. Let's continue to remain educated and conservative when considering cosmetic procedures. I have seen many good results but have also seen disasters. It is truly a gamble as there are so many factors involved. Good luck....may you return to normal. From your pictures, you have come a long way.
Hi Just wanted to say sorry you had such a bad experience with your peel, But your skin seems loads better in your recent pictures I cant even see your scars. I am constantly researching review's on chemical peels as I have melasma on my face and I hate it (that I too notice every time I look in the mirror or see a picture of myself). Your comments would now make me think twice, I didn't even know you could end up with nerve damage because of it... I don't know the reason for you getting a peel but did it improve your skin in anyway ? . I just want my dark marks gone!!!!
No, it didn't improve my skin at all. I would never do it again. It is ALOT better, thank goodness for time!! The nerve damage is from where the chemical peeled and burned too deep, and into the underlying layers of the skin. I still have the "orange peel" look (old acne scars) on the cheeks, and the skin isn't any tighter. It was a of Jessner's peel, then a mixture of 30% TCA and 50% TCA. From what I understand way to strong for a peel. At first the Doc wanted to do a Phoenol peel, good thing I told him "no" or the mess could have been worse. If you compare to two sides of the lip area, the right side (left in the picture) you can see the difference in color and texture. I hope you find what your looking for. Please, Please make sure you go to a good dermatologist or plastic surgeon, ask alot of questions and do alot of research. I did do alot of research, but the Doc that did my peel, I dont think he really knew what he was doing, but I trused him, he was my Doctor.
I have posted the newer pictures 8 mos after peel, and 3 days after my first dermabrasion. In natural lighting vs taking a picture with a flash at night, they do look worse than what you can see. Of course I see it every time I look in a mirror, or see a picture.
The scars are still very noticeable. They have a whitish/blue/gray look to them. (if that makes any sense) And they are still deep. I had questioned the Dermatologist about them, she said because it burned so deep in those areas, it is the blood vessels under the skin, and something else about fibers of the skin(?) I will post a newer picture of the scars soon. I just had my first dermabrasion treatment on 9/23/09. It was a Parisian peel at the dermatologist office. It wasnt bad at all. The areas where I ended up with nerve damage (lip/cheek/hairline) area scarred me a bit, but it wasn't bad, I thought it would hurt more than it did. The only thing was after the peel, those areas have been VERY itchy, pinchy and sensitive. I havent noticed a difference yet, but i'm hoping that after the 5th and final peel, i will. What frustrates me so much is with this nerve damage, no one can see what i feel. Its depressing!!!!
OMG....that guy did overkill BIGTIME! It really looks like he didn't know what the heck he was doing! Why did he give you so many solutions, peels? I would think the Jessner Peel would have been enough, especially if it was your first time. Then you could have done a little more the next time after healing from that. I hope you continue to heal and your face gets better. It's unfortunate that you may have some permanent damage. I wish you all the best!
Yikes! Those appear to be pretty deep in these new photos. It would be good to see what they look like now, 8 months later. Many times a mature scar (6-12 months after the peel) can be improved with scar revision techniques, sometimes dramatically. Just to clarify, though, microdermabrasion (in contrast to true dermabrasion) will do nothing for scars. I suspect your dermatologist meant dermabrasion. It's good you posted this, though. It certainly highlights the potential dangers in these cosmetic procedures. Best of luck, --DCP