Breast Reduction and Lift, Tummy Tuck and Lipo of Neck and Abdomen

I had surgery in July 09, two weeks before my 41st...

I had surgery in July 09, two weeks before my 41st birthday. I'm still not sure how I feel about the surgery and whether or not it was worth it.

I woke up from surgery with loss of peripheral vision in my right eye. Was told by the surgeon's on-call nurse that it was probably swelling so I never went to the emergency room. Spent the next three weeks going from the opthamologist to the neurologist to the cardiologist only to find out I have permanently lost peripheral vision in the upper left quadrant of my right eye as a result of either a blood clot or fat embolism. It could have been treated if the nurse had told me to seek immediate attention and I was on too much pain medication at the time to know that myself.

As for the breast reduction and lift, I was really hoping my breasts would be reduced from a DDD to a C but they seem more like a D. Definitley an improvement but I really wanted them smaller.

I'm hoping the swelling will go down over the next few months. However, I have open wounds under each breast. I was told they "blistered" at my second post-op appointment and to stop wearing the surgical bra. Now I change wet-to-dry dressings twice a day and the wounds aren't healing. I want the surgeon to re-do the surgery but it doesn't look like he will do it. Oh - and I had a tummy tuck and lipo at the same time and my stomach has a large gaping hole with a wound vac attached.

Very traumatic and inconvenient. I've lost wages and may have to go on medical disability. The nurse removed the JP drainage tubes too soon so I had to tolerate numerous aspirations of fluid not to mention the horror of seeing the inside of my abdomen when my incision completely opened up and had to be debrided. But gee I've lost 26 pounds and dropped two pants sizes. I like how I look when I'm dressed but still dealing with healing that has no end in sight.

So was it worth it? Probably not...

The doctor is so concerned with keeping me optimistic about the recovery that he hasn't been truthful and upfront about the recovery healing and next steps. For example "you may need a wound vac if after the next two weeks you aren't healing and hit a plateau". Only to have the secretary call the next day to get my insurance information so the doctor could order the wound vac for my next appointment.

How are you doing now? I pray you are doing well. Do you mind sharing the name of your surgeon?
So sorry. I hope you will share your ps' name. It's important for all of us contemplating surgery. :). Everyone's experience is different. Good to be educated though. Prayers for healing.
Hi! Im also from the bayarea and thinking of getting a mommy makeover. Hope u dont mind telling me who your doctor was? I also want to avoid having a bad experience.
Since you haven't disclosed who your PS was, I'm hoping it wasn't the one who just did mine. I live in the bay area too. I think you should tell us who your PS was. I am only almost 72 hours out since the surgery, so my dressings & drain are still there. I still haven't really touched my velcro straps either even though he said I could loosen them. The only thing that really bothers me is the lower back pain since I can't stand straight & in bed most of the time. I hope so much has improved for you since your last post. I can imagine how heart breaking it is to pay so much money for procedures that's suppose to make you look better and not to leave you more things not pleasing to your eyes & permanent damages. No one wants to pay money for that. Please disclose your PS. It will not only help others in the Bay area but also those who plans to come here from far away to get their procedures done. Good luck to you and I hope that you continue to head towards good healing.
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Have you met many other mothers that have had similar experiences?

can you please tell me who your surgeon was? i want to avoid him! thank you!

im so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience and that you are feeling bad about yourself. i live in the bay area also and have seriously been considering a tummy tuck and a breat augmentation. i have a surgeon in mind and would really appreciate it if you would tell me who did your's so that i can make sure i dont go to him. i hope your situation gets better!
So it's been seven months since my surgery. My tummy tuck had healed but the scar is hideous. Breast still has open wounds. The wounds are getting smaller and I hope to be totally healed by the end of March. The scars look horrible!!! I can't stand to see myself naked and neither can my husband. Under my tummy tuck scar - from one hip to the other - it feels like I have a strand of pearls under my skin so not only do I look repulsive I feel disgusting too. My surgeon is board certified and remains positive that I am looking just GREAT!!! Right.
Could you tell me who your dr was? I am looking into the same thing and want to avoid the same experience
Was your surgeon a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON? you developed skin necrosis in the breast and abdomen. The best treatment is the wound vac. it will take six to eight weeks for complte healing. surgery is not the answer. Wound care is. be patient you will heal. The resulting scars and asymetry can be repared in about six months to a year.Make sure your surgeon is a BOARD CERTIFIED PS
i am so sorry to hear about your experience. though, congrats on losing 26 pounds! i would go to a different doctor, maybe a dermatologist and talk to them about getting skin graphs to help the wounds close up and heal.. best of luck.