Weight Distribution After Tummy Tuck

I had both surgeries due to excessive weight loss...

I had both surgeries due to excessive weight loss after gastric bypass surgery. I am pleasantly pleased with both and would recommend to others.

I had a tummy tuck and breast lift about 3 years ago. I am very pleased with the results of the surgery. In the past year, I have noticed an enourmous amount of fat accumulating on my inner thighs and have been told this is due to weight distribution since the fat cells in the abdomen have been cut away. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, this has happened to me also. It was so exciting to have a beautiful flat tummy but my thighs and legs and even my arms and sides have cellulite that I never had before less than one year post op!!!
Wow I am so late getting into this conversation. I had my TT at the beginning of this year in combination with a hysterectomy. This was due to enormous uterine fibroids. While I had the Gastric Bypass back in 2000, my weight was not in control. I originally lost 100 lbs. and managed to keep it off for some years. But over time I was so depressed cause no matter what my stomach was huge. My arms and legs looked good, but due to the fibroids no stomach exercise would make it go away. By the time I had the hysterectomy and TT combo I had lost 100 and gained back 50. I complained immediately to my PS about my thighs and he passed it off as they were already large. I had the drainage bags on after the surgery for almost 2 weeks and they were still filling when they came off. I knew that fluid was going somewhere. As I watched my thighs warp into a whole new shape I knew that is where the fluid was going. As months have passed and I have returned to a regular workout schedule, I have lost some weight but my thighs remain horrible. They have reduced a little, but they remain wobbly and filled with fluid. There is a 3 size difference between my upper and lower body. I've tried wearing plastic pants to sweat extra, biking, swimming, yoga and every thigh exercise I could think of. Everything I have read in this thread has shed so much light on my issue. I thank all of you for being so candid. I am considering a new procedure called the Zerona Laser. Has any one heard about using that on the thigh problem? The lymphatic issue may explain why I burp excessively when I massage my legs. I agree about being nervous about any more surgery, much less the cost.
Overall, I am happy with my tuck, but I am so depressed by the look of my inner thighs/legs. Especially in dress pants or any thin fabric clothes. I can hide it in denim or jean fabric, but I can't possibly wear jeans to work everyday. I have tried Spanx and they tend to hold the flab in place, but I can't stand seeing myself in the nude. I had the TT to feel better about myself, but now i think I would have rather just kept the tummy vs inner thighs that have to be rearranged all the time. Literally! It is the most embarrasing during intimate situations. My legs used to be my greatest asset when I was 300+lbs. I cannot say that anymore.
Hello Everyone Wow, although I am sorry to hear others are having the same issues, I too have had severe Lymph issues since my surgery. The damage to my lymph system has actually caused many other health issues. Rene - One thing I have found is that exercise exacerbates my lymph issues. Your lymph is critical in detoxification and exercise mobilizes toxins from the fat cells. I see a Naturopath for all of my health issues related to the TT and she has asked me to take exercise very slow until we get the toxins removed from my body. Funny enough the surgeon is listed on an advertisment for this site....do not use her. I am a mess and my tummy tuck looks terrible.
I was so thrilled to read that others were experiencing the same problems I have been post tummy tuck. I couldn't figure out what was wrong withme. I eat well and exercise reguarly but my thighs have become disgusting and weigh on my mind multiple times daily. They've morphed into pudgy, bumpy, lumps and no matter how much exercise I do, they don't change. Lymphatic massages? Where does one get these. And how is it that everyone just has money stashed away to run out and get more surgeries?? I make great money and my husband has a good stable job, but with four kids, I don't have the money to run out and get lypo to correct this.; I wish I did, it's psycholgicaly painful for me everyday to see what my thighs and butt have become.
Hi Rene, Wow. Do not do to much to soon. You are in the early stages and going to a gym this soon is not wise. Please check with your PS, from what I have read, its normally about 6 weeks or so later and very slow and easy movements under the supervision of an instructer at the Gym. As for the massage, again about 6 weeks or so, but make sure you get recommended to someone who understands lymphatic massages as if done incorrectly can cause more pain and harm than it should. Hope this helps Rose
I had my TT/lipo to the flanks and breast augmentation done 3 1/2 weeks ago. I tried going to the gym couple of days ago and I'm bloating big time after. I'm really glad I read this because I was not aware of the massages OR the weight distribution issues. I already have issues with my thighs and was thinking of doing the thigh lift in the spring. All of the surgeries are a result to a 90 lb weight loss. So I guess what I want to know is when can I go back to the gym and not experience the bloating and when do I start the massages? Thanks - Rene
Hi Kim, Yes, that is how I feel. Had I been told I too would have had lipo and lymphatic massages. Apparantly after a tt we accumulate a lot of fluid as the day goes on, I know I notice that I may start the day not to bad but by the time the evening arrives I look bloated and feel awful. As for the inner thighs yes lipo will get rid of the problem but it can give you a whole new set of problems. We cannot win Kim, the truth is the Dr's leave out to much info at time of consult and we do not know the "right" questions to ask and thats where the problem starts. My inner thighs look like jello bags and just wobble, I hate it and it looks awful and sadly excercise has done nothing for me either. Where to go from her, well Lipo would solve it but then saggy skin means leg lifts? no way I give up Kim unless you have any advice or luck elswhere, let me know. I hope other women read this before they get a tt so that they know to ask the questions we never had a chance to ask; Rose
I flunctuate between 5-8 lbs depending on the time of the month. I guess those 5-8 lbs are just accumulating on the inner thighs and even though I drop them immediately, the fat doesn't go away from that area. I have exercised and exercised with no such luck, so it still remains. RosemarieK -- I wasn't told anything about what I should have done after the TT, so didn't get lipo and then lymphatic massges. Maybe if I was told, I could have prevented this problem from ever happening.
Hi Kim Yes my weight went up 5 kilos after ttuck with a 6 month period. I now go to a gym regulary and am starting to drop weight but inner thighs are the same.
Hi Kim, I have found out some info which explained a few things. Firstly I have now been told that it takes up to 5 years for our lymphatics to get back to normal as when you have a ttuck the lymphatic drainage is interupted and has to find a new route to take (no one told me this) which is why we can carry a lot of "fluid" for years. As for the fat problem, I am told that after a ttuck the fat has to find new places to go as the stomach is blocking any new fat there. So it goes to our hips as in muffin top, our butt and yes the inner thighs as it is easier for fat the accumulate at lower levels now becaus the tummy has been completely closed off to a lymphatic drainage and fat collection. As for lipo, I too enquired, after being told that I could be left with droopy yes droopy skin and that I may require 5,000 worth of anti cellulite massage on top of the lip suction I walked out in utter shock. These are all the things I was not told. As for your question did I gain weight well 10 after surgery when I was home I noticed underwear no longer fit, and as time went on and I mean a few months my butt grew first and I found my old clothes were too small, then starting January this year is when my inner thighs took on a life of there own. I dont know about you but I was not told to get lymphatic massages regularly, I was not told that a ttuck should also coincide with lipo on the hips a butt area to stop accumulation. So what should have happened was TTuck, followed by lipo, followed by lymphatic massages and had I done all of this well I would have got the result that I had expected. Sorry for the long explanation but I hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you come across anything. My tt was done March 2008 Rose
Hi, Yes I am experiencing the same problem. My inner thighs are just getting bigger not matter what I do, they just wobble it looks awful. Also my legs from hip to knees are also larger really wobbly. Can anyone help us shed some light on this problem, is there something we can do. Did you find any solutions????
Rosemariek- You are my first reply back. I even posted this on another website and got many replies, but no one could shed any light on why this is happening. I am now considering lipo, but there will still be all the sagging skin, so that won't help either. I will let you know if I find out anything.
has your weight changed since your tummy tuck 3 years ago?