Had Damage from Erbium Laser, Affirm Helped

At 53 in 07 I decided to have laser resurfacing...

At 53 in 07 I decided to have laser resurfacing for scars from acne. The doctor in Tampa suggested Erbium Level 6. I thought he knew what he was doing so I agreed. I was left with rolling scars, a huge dent & pigmentation change all over, red for months. He dissed me when he saw the results. I was devistated. Couldn't go out.

I came back to Phila. to look for a plastic surgeon. No one wanted to take me on. Some just did IPl for the redness but as for the scars I now had & how my skin texture changed they were afraid to touch me.

I was recomended to one in Ardmore who said he'd help. He tried Fraxel but got little results, then Perfecta which helped a little so then he tried Affirm. I've had a few treatments but it seems to help the best for me. My skin now feels a little thicker, the Erbium made it very thin from taking off a layer. I feel a firmness now & am able to touch my face without it hurting.

I would recomend Affirm but you really need to find someone who only works with lasers. Not fillers, not botox, not someone who does everything. Just someone who works & knows lasers & have been for a long time. I know you have to go for more than three treatments to really see any results since it takes time for you collegen to grow. But at least I'm seeing results.

Again, check out your doctor!!! The one in Tampa was board certified but it seems he didn't know a thing about working with lasers.

Philadelphia Dermatologist

My doctor is a specialist in his field. Works only with lasers.

Well that doesn't help if a person is in Florida. Too many plastic surgeons here using too many lasers and of course, no matter what it is you are trying to do, it is always THEIR laser that is the one that will achieve it. I did my due diligence on "scar revision" in three consultations asking right out are you sure you can improve it. The only thing he could improve was his pocketbook. Sadly I think with the economy being like it is there is dishonestly and people need to be wary of that, otherwise the consequences can be very life-altering.
Sats you are absolutely right. I hate when people have a bad experience and tell people dont do it. Just because they went to the wrong person who did not treat them properly. I have restored and maintained thousands of peoples skin. Including my own. I have 9 lasers and the Affirm is one of them. It is fantastic!! It has 2 different wavelengths. One called the Multiplex which restores laxity and the other which remodels collagen to even skin texture from scarring, acne or wrinkles. It is actually very simple to operate. I use this machine quite often and have not once had any complaints, only happiness. It is a true Anti Aging station!
Thank you also and I hope you are able to find a ps who can help. It sounds like what he did was put it on the next to highest level, and then did the worst thing ever to a person -- abandon them.
Please if you are able, file a complaint with the state board.
And find a good atty.
Easy to say, but the fact is, if they don't know how to use it or use it responsibly, people suffer as you are.
Hello
Boy I am so glad yo told me the name. I kept getting spammed from him. He likens himself to Mr. Laser.
I hope you are able to do something about the damage he did. He aggressively markets himself.
He's nice in the begining, but when there are problems he's out of there. Seriously,he ran out of the office, didn't come back & would have his asst answer every time i called for help. He would never get on the phone. I tried for over a year every week!!! I would find someone else if your looking for someone for skin problems. As far as he's concerned he doesn't know didly about lasers, as soon as he gets your money he's done with you. I saw other reviews about him on line & it seems I'm not alone. Glad i could help before it was too late & thank you for your well wishes.
I've seen good and bad results. I'm proof. I would never get resurfacing & would never recomend it. I had so many types of laser. When your desperate you'll try anything. A laser is only good if it's in the right hands. That's why people should post doctors who did good and bad work On The Procedure You Want, so you can check their reviews. Some doctors are good at certain procedures but bad in others. Go for the ones who are experianced in what you want. Not ones that say they do everything.
After reading my post i said I would never get resurfacing. I meant I would never get it again. Because of resurfacing with an Erbium laser I was left with scars all over & redness for months. That's the reason I'm getting different laser treatmensts now for the scars from the resurfacing. I agree with JSM telling you to beware.
I had 2 affirm last year. This year as a result I have rolling scars, ice pick scars, boxcar scars, dna damage, fat loss, sagging, wrinkles and lines, "chunks" of my skin keep coming out when I wash. No help after damage is done!! My advice to anyone considering any laser is DO NOT DO IT!!! You will regret it. These laser were not made for the skin!!!! It's pure radiation and heat damage!! Goes right down to the muscle. I'm 45 and look as though I'm pushing 70!! PLEASE HEED MY WARNING...SAVE YOUR SKIN!!!!
I agree I'm 23 and it ruined me . I went to a good doctor , lasers have different effects on different people , they can never truly say the outcome . I was in good health and that didn't save me .

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Are you a doctor? If so, what is your speciality? Would you like more proof? Go to the IPL and laser damage support forum, register, then read the other horror stories. There are also links to scientific research that has been done on lasers and the damages they can do.....
Please tell me where to find these. I've been doing laser for 15 years. I do.it 6 days a week. Average 8 hours a day. 40 percent of my clients including myself, my friends, family and referrals do the Affirm with me. I have treated myself countless times on the highest setting. I have an IPL and another similar even stronger. Have not damaged or injured 1 person in all of the years. There are no machines that I know of that can cause that type of harm. That is from some type of medical condition. Like I said, im sorry you have experienced that. But its not from laser. They are not equipped to cause that kind of damage. Even if I overtreated someone on purpose the most that would happen would be a superficial scab or dryness would occur and to treat would be simple aquaphor you could buy in cvs. Where is this scientific research? Im sorry but you are wrong. I also work with many people in my field and teach laser. I have friends that also own there own practices. What happened to you is unheard of.

Hello Jane D, I am going to jump in here to get this conversation back on track :) Thank you for your honest opinion however everyone has different experiences and results with the treatment and this site is a safe place to share and help others in a supportive way. We don't want comments to turn into a "who is right and wrong" conversation, it's simply based on individual experiences and whether they think the treatment was worth it or not. If you have any questions please let me know, you can also review our Community Guidelines

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Just because you have not seen it with your own eyes dose not mean this didn't happen to people . You should try and be understanding to the immeasurable pain some people are in due to laser damge . Please try to be understanding to people who have suffered . And yes there are many documents and publications on the effects of lasers and laser damge . Maybe you should research thermal bystander effect , DNA damge , And check the stories on the ipl and laser damage boards . I also must respectfully disagree that the machine are incapable of damage . Surgeons on this blog state that lasers are powerful devices and it is the skill of your practioner to control them and apply the right settings , look for abnormal reposes in skin, check medical history ect . I'm not wanting to start an argument but I do think you should try and be sympathetic to others that have suffered . And I strongly believe laser are capable of true damge as I have suffered myself and know many people from all over the world that have the same experience as myself . As for lasers being natural, the way the light is harnessed in lasers is far from natural! It could never be replicated by Mother Nature . The light is very strong and direct and can be adjusted according to achive different results . And in many cases can be damaging . It is proven lasers can cause damge because on the consent form it lists possible side effects and outcomes such as scarring textural problems infection etc. I'm glad to hear in your practice no one has ever suffered . That's good news for you
I am absolutely sympathetic and have offered people service free of charge to investigate and help. Surgeons do not operate cosmetic lasers of this low caliber. The fact is this laser cannot inflict this type of damage. There can be adverse reactions to IPL due to inexperience of the technician. IPL buy the way is not real laser. It is intense pulsed light. Affirm cannot inflict chunks of skin coming off, reach dna or muscle. It is a fact. If you feel comfortable believing that I cannot change that. Nor do I need to. I am very busy in my practice and have had the best results for everyone. I buy what is best on the market and get rid of what is not up to par. It continues 5 years in a row to be the most popular equipment in the practice. This is an.informative website. All are entiltled to their opinion. That is what I am doing here. Basing on facts and experience of hundreds of people. Myself, friends and family included. I treat my own 71 year old mother. Im not getting paid to comment here. I dont work for the laser company. I simply operate it daily and know it like the back of my hand.
did the IPL really help you with the facial redness? I have facial redness now because of Fraxel. and I was wondering if i should do IPL. I'm afraid of further damage to my skin....
For me the IPL helped with the redness. It took a few treatments but my whole face was a mess after the Erbium Resurfacing. I had a lot of broken blood vessels too.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

can you privately email with the name of the Tampa surgeon? I am researching various ways to help trauma scars on my face, and other damage from the trauma. I want to avoid the surgeon and I know in Tampa, there are a lot who do the cafeteria procedures rather than just laser, for example. Thank you in advance. jtf
sorry i just saw this. The doctor was Dr Jasin in New Tampa.