Tummy Tuck from Hell

I had a gastric sleeve 2 years ago and all went...

I had a gastric sleeve 2 years ago and all went great. I have lost over 100 lbs. My surgeon then said when the time is right we'll see about a tummy tuck. Needless to say I needed one.
In the post op procedures it was discovered I had prostate cancer and underwent 45 radiation treatment. I surfaced with a clean bill of health from the oncologist.
So, I went ahead on the surgeon's recommendation to have the tuck.
All did not go well. I knew after 4 days something was wrong. When I called him he assured me all was normal. He saw me 10 days later. When he opened the dressing his face dropped. I said not NOT GOOD? He responded NO, very bad/ and I was running fever and was full of "gangrene".... "both wet and dry".
He was fully aware of my condition. I was never given possible side effects from the surgery. He is NOT a plastic surgeon. Must he be board certified to preform this surgery? I was also told I could return to work the next day. Not so from anything I have read since.
Visiting nurse service is now attending to my wounds. The two nurses I've seen in the last two days both asked who "did this to you"?
I am told by all professionals that it will take at least 2 months to heal.
I've learned not to have tummy tucks on radiated skin. I am on a thing called a "VAC dressing. I remain in constant pain and am on heavy duty antibiotics and Vicadnin sp?
every four hours.
I beg of all who are thinking of this procedure to research it and research it and then think twice before doing anything. It is terribly painful and the odor from gangrene is putrid.

Still in pain.

I don't like taking all this pain medication, but really find it necessary. I am still running a low grade fever every night but am controlling it with extra strength Tylenol.

tummy tuck from hell

Will this drain ever come out? My new PS says it is still necessary and is helping do it's job. I follow all the rules.
Dr. Daniel Rosen

He has an awful lot to learn. Over zealousness may be fine some time but not when it endangers a patient's life. Had I known of the possible outcome, I never would have put myself through this. I haven't received any bills yet so I can't determine total cost. I do, however have Visiting Nurse Service of NY I may have to cover cost of supplies to care for my wounds. If you intend to have this surgery find a board certified PLASTIC surgeon.

Good to hear things are starting to look up for you...best of luck...
Wishing for you the very BEST. A hug of reassurance!
Your journey has been a nightmare to say the least. My word. I had lap band surgery a few years ago and withing a few months of having it found out I had cancer in the lower part of my body also. I had chemo and radiation. The radiation was so bad I had blisters on my belly under the fat roll. The reason I am telling you this is I had a tt in Oct last year. It really never occured to me about the radiation and the damage it had done to my skin. I know it had damaged some of my organs that I am still dealing with that. But didn't think about healing of the skin. I am so sorry this has happened to you, my prayers are in for your recovery. I hope you are back on your feet and going on with your life soon. Best wishes.
Dear Jeannie: You too are in my prayers. I as just heading to a plastic surgeon. This has been a nightmare as is your ordeal. I do wonder what is happening to the medical field. Take care of yourself. I will be posting more as time passes. I think my infection is under control. Again, thanks and bless you. Richard
Just wondering how your recovery is going. I hope all the infection is gone and your healing well now v
Thank you for asking. I am having visiting nurse service in twice a day to change the dressings and am on the mend. The infection seems to be gone, at least I am off the antibiotic. Fever has been normal to low grade. Pain is now 3 to 9 on the pain scale and am only taking two vicadin per day. All professionals who have looked at the wound have concurred and said 2 to 3 more months. I will update and add some pictures. Best to you, Richard
I am still just blown away by what happen to you. It seems like you me this doctor that did this to you should have to pay for his mistakes.. I'm sure he didn't mean for this nightmare to come your way, but it did and it was his fault. After I read your journey I looked up tt and radiation online. And I guess I was very lucky, My tt incision healed fast and good. But my ps never warned me about any issues of people having radiation for cancer and then what could happen because of the treatments. I don't really know if that is good or bad. If he had told me maybe I wouldn't have had my tt at all which would mean I would still be dealing with all that having the extra skin did to me. That was horrible on a daily basis. Oh well it doesn't matter at this point with me, it's done and I am glad it is. But I am glad to hear you are recovering now. Have a great day!
emn ...is giving you some pretty good advice. On the medical and legal aspects...I am in the medical field also..you might ask about Nuerotin some of your pain maybe associated with nerve and it is non narcotic..I do wish you the speediest recovery
yes, neurontin. ask about that one. good idea,sarav59.
i looked this up re radiation of tissues. maybe you did also. http://www.realself.com/question/a-candidate-tummy-tuck1 this is not your fault. you were misled. you see the PS comments on the site above. you were not told risks. if you signed any paper stating you are aware of risks, and it did not state these, due to radiation, then you are off the hook. also, i must tell you that those signed papers are worthless anyhow.it holds back a few people from suing , but most do anyhow and win if they have a case. who is handling your case now and ordering treatment? a PS and infectious disease specialist? is the hospital the surgeon was with aware of this? it does not matter that he is gone, they need to know. chief medical director of staff. there is no surgeon who would tell you on the phone that everything is fine, then see you 10 days later, to find out..... my hunch is no muscle plication was done. better for healing for you as per pain in that respect.,( but not always the best for flattest abdomen .) do not pay for any of this. i hope you have not paid him. if you have, put it into dispute at once with your visa or whatever. vicodin is good. if it is not providing full relief, try percocet, it is one step up from vicodin (hydrocodone), and percocet is in several strengths. keflex is a good general antibiotic taken one pill every 6 hours. there are others, if they ever for any reason decide to switch you, but be sure not to take clindamycin, which can cause intestinal disease, c.diff. and your immune system is weakened. if you fever does not go down, maybe antibiotic switch? ask your doc. our prayers are with you.
Dear emm: Am now with a PS and Beth Israel Hosp. here in NYC and feel confident I am in good hands. They took me off the VAC dressing as it seemed to do more harm than good. VNS is coming twice a day now to change the dressing. All seem to think at least another 2 months. The pain is much better...2 vicodin per day now. I see the PS tomorrow. I have many surgeries and illness. This pain, along with a kidney stone is right there on the top. Hoping the drain will be removed but doubt it. It is still putting out 50 to 75 ccs per day. Thanks for all of your help.
glad to hear u are in good hands now. that makes me feel better too.did they thunk hyperbaric oxygen therapy would help? good luck. this will soon be over, and it will just be a remembered nightmare , not living it. it,too, will fade as time goes on.
ask about hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
So sorry to hear of your traumatic experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Thank you very much for your concern. I am a fighter and will beat this.
Good on ya. You have to push on to be a winner . Well done on yr weight loss.
oh one more thing, do you know if he did muscle plication (sewing loose muscle together) or just skin and fat removal? just curious.
I wish I could answer that. I however, doubt it. He seemed to be in a big hurry. Anyway it is 3 weeks today since the surgery and I am still with one drain...originally started with 3...and the Vac dressing. I am awaiting a call back from Visiting Nurse Serv. to unblock my dressing. I don't seem to be making much progress, but will pursue. Thanks for all of your support.
i must tell you---even surgeons who have trained in their general surgery training, and who know how to do most general surgical procedures, do not touch anything that is not in their field of specialty! there are reasons for this. as one physician stated,when the judge asks the doctor" and how many of these procedures do you do per year?"--- doc might as well just write out the check! you do not have to pay one cent for anything! i know this does not give you back your health, but it gives you something else, and saves others who might come after you! you also should have been on an antibiotic asap after surgery. it might not have been the right one, but maybe it would have been, you did not mention antibiotics and percocet for pain. you would be hard pressed to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has ever had a patient with gangrene or who has sent them back to work next day. you need someone to help you with this ongoing situation. i am in the medical field. i know about this.good luck and blessings! look into oxygen hyperbaric therapy.
Thank you. I am on Kflex every 12 hrs. and vicadin every four to six hours. Also, I have been taking 2 Tylenol extra strength for fever. My fever was 99.6 last night and which usually runs normal at 97.0. The reason I trusted this man was because he was brought in the set up a bariatric division for Beth Israel Hospital in NYC. Since my gastric sleeve, he has been let go. I only heard his side of the story and not know why. They claimed he walked out during a surgery, and now I believe it.
So sorry you are experiencing this .. Congrats on your weight loss..
Thanks, I will beat this thing. It's 3 weeks today and I'm still on Kflax. and vicadin.

I am so sorry for all you have gone through.  I can't even find the words to tell you how horrible I feel for you.  This is both horrible and serious and I am hoping you have a full recovery.  With procedures such as this,  you always want a board certified plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your response. I am determined to beat this thing. I'm not a pill popper, but thanks for vicadin. 3 weeks today... will it ever end?

Hang in there!!!