15 Lipomas Removed in 2 Surgeries

Review Cost: >$10 billed to insurance, my...

Review

Cost: >$10 billed to insurance, my cost (5K)
scars: heavy scarring
was it worth it: yes and no.

My personal story

I am a male 23yrs old. I have had lipomas on my arms and stomach every since i hit puberty. Around the age 18-21 lipomas started to increase in number around my arm, stomach, thy, and back. Often when I palpate some part of my body I found newer forming lipomas. I visited doctors several times and told it was only a lipoma and can cause no harm.

The biggest lipoma I had was on my left forearm an inch and a half wide and 1/2 an inch above the skin surface. This was hideous and I wanted it removed. I talked to my primary doctor and got a referral to a general surgeon. He basically asked what I wanted removed and I had them all over my body. I pointed out almost 15 lipomas through out my arm, stomach, and legs ( I wish I didnt). The surgery was done in 2 separate parts, the first half took out all the lipomas on my left side and the next half (weeks later) took out lipomas in my right side.

After the surgery I felt the suergon did a terrible job. There were 3 lipomas which the suergon cut, but never removed the mass. It was obvious once the wounds heeled he didnt remove it. There was also heavy scarring. The biggest scar is on my stomach almost 2.5inches long.

Here is my recommendation for anyone who has lipomas and is considering surgery.

1. Consider what lipomas you want removed, if it is anywhere on your body which is visible to others and bothers you you should remove it. Dont remove lipomas on your stomach or legs (its not worth the scarring trust me).

2. Once you know for sure the lipomas you want removed get a referral from you primary physician to a general suergon or a physician that can preform excision by using Local anesthesia(LA). Using LA is much cheaper costing around hundreds of dollars after insurance vs. thousands if the surgeon puts you to sleep.

3. Make sure find a good surgeon that can do it with minimal scarring.

4. After surgery once the band-aids are removed, apply something to the scar every day such as(maderma, cocobutter, olive oil, scar sheets) to minimize the scarring.

Hope this helps

abraham syrquin

only remove the ones that are visible or give you problems.

How are you doing now? Any change in the way you feel?

Thank you for your posting. I am planning to have the one on my left top arm removed. It is very uncomfortable as to find blouses to fit and lifting weights.
thankyou for post. I'm 23 years old, same as you. I have about five that I know of. I want to take 1 out for sure. Your information was good and interesting to me.
These can be cut out easily under local anesthesia. Small excision and then popped out. This can be done with lipomas on the arms or legs. This would save a few thousand dollars. The scar does not seem that bad to my eye. It is straight and not hypertrophied.
You can't cut them out easily when there are literally thousands of them. ALL of your time for the rest of your natural life would be spent healing, rendering you useless anyway. Not to mention you would have to be a multi millionaire to afford it. I am blessed with hundreds of them that cause pain, and they occupy every square cm of my body. I could have an operation every 3 months and it would not even scratch the surface.
Ohip only covers for 6 to be removed at a time? Don't I feel special!!!