15 Lipomas Removed in 2 Surgeries

Review Cost: >$10 billed to insurance, my...

Review

Cost: >$10 billed to insurance, my cost (5K)
scars: heavy scarring
was it worth it: yes and no.

My personal story

I am a male 23yrs old. I have had lipomas on my arms and stomach every since i hit puberty. Around the age 18-21 lipomas started to increase in number around my arm, stomach, thy, and back. Often when I palpate some part of my body I found newer forming lipomas. I visited doctors several times and told it was only a lipoma and can cause no harm.

The biggest lipoma I had was on my left forearm an inch and a half wide and 1/2 an inch above the skin surface. This was hideous and I wanted it removed. I talked to my primary doctor and got a referral to a general surgeon. He basically asked what I wanted removed and I had them all over my body. I pointed out almost 15 lipomas through out my arm, stomach, and legs ( I wish I didnt). The surgery was done in 2 separate parts, the first half took out all the lipomas on my left side and the next half (weeks later) took out lipomas in my right side.

After the surgery I felt the suergon did a terrible job. There were 3 lipomas which the suergon cut, but never removed the mass. It was obvious once the wounds heeled he didnt remove it. There was also heavy scarring. The biggest scar is on my stomach almost 2.5inches long.

Here is my recommendation for anyone who has lipomas and is considering surgery.

1. Consider what lipomas you want removed, if it is anywhere on your body which is visible to others and bothers you you should remove it. Dont remove lipomas on your stomach or legs (its not worth the scarring trust me).

2. Once you know for sure the lipomas you want removed get a referral from you primary physician to a general suergon or a physician that can preform excision by using Local anesthesia(LA). Using LA is much cheaper costing around hundreds of dollars after insurance vs. thousands if the surgeon puts you to sleep.

3. Make sure find a good surgeon that can do it with minimal scarring.

4. After surgery once the band-aids are removed, apply something to the scar every day such as(maderma, cocobutter, olive oil, scar sheets) to minimize the scarring.

Hope this helps

5 years later

I totally forgot that I ever made this post. Its been more than 5 years and here is and update. I have done extensive research pulling every article and case study I can from pubmed and credible sources. Majority of the lipomas came back and now I have lost count. I think its around 30-40 or more. Most came back in the same spot, and scars never went away. There are several invasive treatments I found but I decided to just go to a plastic suergon. This is basically a genetic disease and there really is no cure other than removing it once it forms. There are some things that can make it grow more rapidly (diet, supplements etc). I will post everything I found in another article.

scars

abraham syrquin

only remove the ones that are visible or give you problems.

Please, consider having the lipomas injected by a qualified dermo with Sodium Deoxycholate. My lipomas were considered to be caused by my thyroid/parathyroid condition, but this was only a theory, it was difficult to substantiate. Three years ago I had my lipomas injected with Sodium Deoxycholate and they were reduced in size. Recently, my doctor injected the lipomas with the Sodium Deoxycholate having two treatments three weeks apart. There will be one more treatment and they are gone, dissolved by the solution. I will add that 20 years ago I had several on my thigh surgically removed by a wonderful surgeon. They did not come back, only others showed up in time. The Sodium Deoxycholate injections can be researched online. There has been case studies showing efficacy and I do not understand why this method is not touted. Probably because it is not well know for this purpose.
555

How are you doing now? Any change in the way you feel?

Thank you for your posting. I am planning to have the one on my left top arm removed. It is very uncomfortable as to find blouses to fit and lifting weights.
thankyou for post. I'm 23 years old, same as you. I have about five that I know of. I want to take 1 out for sure. Your information was good and interesting to me.
These can be cut out easily under local anesthesia. Small excision and then popped out. This can be done with lipomas on the arms or legs. This would save a few thousand dollars. The scar does not seem that bad to my eye. It is straight and not hypertrophied.
You can't cut them out easily when there are literally thousands of them. ALL of your time for the rest of your natural life would be spent healing, rendering you useless anyway. Not to mention you would have to be a multi millionaire to afford it. I am blessed with hundreds of them that cause pain, and they occupy every square cm of my body. I could have an operation every 3 months and it would not even scratch the surface.
Ohip only covers for 6 to be removed at a time? Don't I feel special!!!
I have over 70 on my legs and arms. The larger ones are on my legs and are not noticeable unless I wear shorts. Problem is that they are very painful. I saw a general surgeon who said he would remove a cluster of lipomas on the inside of my right thigh, but nothing else. I was never given any real diagnosis either. I'd just like to know why I have so many and why they are so painful. I am a 39 year old female with type 1 diabetes. Any recommendations?
hey there I believe its termed familial multiple lipomatosis (FML). You should only remove them if its causing pain or getting large enough that its noticeably visible. I would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon and not a general surgeon.
Thank you for responding. After reading your second post I think I'll just leave them alone. If they do get too painful then I'll definitely look into a plastic surgeon. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Never had the pain but they do become visible. I agree with your removal criteria. my general surgeon does the old slit and pop technique with minimal stitches/scarring - last time $200 a pop. Gonna present a cash offer for 25-30 of 'em I hope won't be rejected.