12 TX - Male Beard - DISASTER - Patchy Results

I had laser hair removal on my beard. 12...

I had laser hair removal on my beard. 12 treatments over the course of two years. Now I have large patches all over my face like a checkerboard. I look like a freak. Men do not get laser on your beard!!

The patches only get worse with more treatment. I complained to the clinic and they tell me this is normal?! They just kept telling me to get more treatments. Then when it kept getting worse they tried to give me microdermabrasion to shut me up.

A note on "guarantees". My clinic gave me a 3 year guarantee which I thought was great. However I failed to think it through. The treatment itself (6-8 treatments every six weeks) takes about 1 year. In the areas where the laser does work, the hair loss only lasts about 2 years. Therefore by the time you begin to see hair in the treated area, the guarantee is over!

A real guarantee is to offer your money back. You will never find a laser clinic that will give you your money back! Offering more treatments if the previous treatments fail is NOT a guarantee. If anything it should clue you in. They are basically telling you the treatment only lasts a few years at the most, and after that you're on your own!

It's been about 8-9 years since my first laser...

It's been about 8-9 years since my first laser hair removal treatments on beard. Last one was probably 6 years ago. I still have some patchiness but no one but me notices it. It's considerably improved. I do wish I had stopped after the first few treatments. My beard would have completely grown back. If you have only had one or two treatments STOP now. It will only get worse.
American Laser Center

I'm back to tell you guys that there's no noticeable patches in my beard anymore. It has been improved almost 100% since my decision to go through that laser session. Earlier today I was looking at the mirror and thanking God that my beard was like it always has been before that disaster. I can't tell you the difference right now, honestly. At least 95% of my original beard is back, and it's already been a while that it fully regrew. So, I remembered this post and I just felt I needed to give you a last feedback. Don't lose faith, just be patient and wait for a while. Read this thread and look after the posts in which I relate my experience, how I managed to try to speed up the proccess (I sincerely think it helped a lot), stop the treatments if you had just one or two laser sessions yet, and take care of yourselves. Your hair will come back! Good luck!
HI Vinícius, Thanks a lot for posting your progress. I'l like to know if you recovered your neck as well? Thanks!!
I had LHR on my beard 7 months ago. All i wanted was to get rid of a couple of hairs. He zapped more than that. I only had one session. However it doesn't grow back. My hair is mostly red. What should I expect? Please help...
I'm glad I can help! Being a Medical Esthetician with integrity helps. If you have any questions feel free to call on me !
Does anyone know how to get package deals on laser hair removal? I'm having trouble finding different websites... please and thank you!
Go on Groupon. The prices must vary based on where you live, but I saw a coupon for 72% off laser which sounds great to me :) Theres also an app, if you prefer
Evelyn51923 With all do respect and not to sound crass. Please do not bargin shop for medical services than can burn the skin and leave scars. Just google IPL burnis and you'll know what I talking about. Especially if it's for an area that can not be covered ie. your face.
Youre right, but he asked. I havent actually done it.
Glad to hear your beard has fully grown back. I had 1 treatment on my face and so regretting it! I just wanted to clean up my beard line and now my beard is totally f***ed up! I read the testimonials here and took advice to stop. I went in to see the technician who mutilated me, because I have a package to get my back done, (the proceedure on my back was fine.) I told her I didn't want to continue with my beard and showed her what she had done. She said "we'll I'm not a barber," which pissed me off!!! She should know what the hell she's doing in regards to precision work with the laser if she proclaimes to know how to work on the face. Anyway, I told her I had done a lot of research and that I heard after 1 session the hair would grow back. First she said that it would NEVER grow back, then she said "well maybe in a year." I'm frustrated and worried, I really want the area she f***ed up to grow back. Is she just full of sh*t? Please tell me it will grow back, one side is different than the other there is a bald circle and lines under my jaw line, the cheek area is even, but she took too much off. I don't know what to believe anymore. Please advise.
Hi, Saverio. They don't give a sh*t about the bad results their incompetent handle of the equipment will bring to the customer's FACE! Don't trust the lies of an incompetent professional, as their only purpose is to fork out your money. Believe me, your facial hair will grow back, you have to be patient and wait for a while, though. My bet, if your beard was full enough, is that it will be back to normal in four to six months, maybe a little longer. Keep shaving it to hide the bald spots on the meanwhile. I had 1 session of Light Sheer and I am a perfect candidate for a successful treatment. Only 1 session was not enough to make my hair stop growing permanently. Read all my posts here to understand more or less how was my history of regret with this laser treatment. You can go see a dhermatologist and talk to him/her about methods to accelerate or stimulate the hair regrowth. Personally, I used minoxidil combined with retinoic acid and after I began to use them both, I experienced a substantial amellioration quite fast. Don't despair, and don't believe that liar! Your beard will come back for sure. Vinícius.
Thanks for the response! My beard was full, coarse black (and some grey hair,) I appreciate your honesty, I don't care if it takes a few months as long as it comes back. I feel better now that I've heard it from you, and your success with regrowth. Thanks again man, much appreciated!
You're welcome! Judging by your description, your beard is just like mine. Just be patient and in time you should see your beard getting gradually fuller again, untill it returns to how it was previously. Don't forget to notify us with your progress. Wish you the best luck!
Thanks to your advice I'm seeing regrowth of the bald areas on my face that were fu**ed up by the laser. It has been about 3 months since my one and only encounter with a laser and I'm relieved to say that a lot of my beard line has grown back. There are still areas that need to fill in and hopefully will. I'm so happy I found this site and information!!! If not I may have been inclined to have her try to "fix" things, which I know now would have just made it much worse. Thanks again!
2 days ago Hi It's been 18 months since my last treatment with an alexandrite on my forearms I have some bald spots and hair looks uneven I am hoping everyday that those bald spots fill in. Can you please let me know if they will ever fill in and what I can do to speed up the process
Hi! Please read my posts. I used 5% minoxidil to speed up the process. In the earlier stages of my recovery, I used tretinoine to stimulate the regeneration and proliferation of skin tissue, then I abandoned its use because it makes your skin very thin and sensible, you would have to be careful with exposure to sunlight. Depending on your age, it could be considered supplementation with hormones to induce hair growth. But I am no specialist and you should talk to an endocrinologist first or seek another proper professional advice if you plan to choose taking hormones. I just reported here what I did in order to help those who are kind of desperated because of the results of their treatment with laser. I know how it's hard! But as far as my experience and the experience of others here in this post goes, I think these bald spots will recover in time, sooner or later. Wish you good luck!
Thank you I also tried minoxidil 5% for about a week then I stopped because I was afraid it will promote hair growth on my upper arms so I stopped but I have been apply apple cider vinegar on my arms for past 5 days it seems like it's working its weird but I'm giving it a shot also I can actually see the dark follicles beneath my skin so looks like it's growing
Also how many treatments did you have and with what laser? How long after your last treatment did your bald patches grow back? Did they grow back same as before or lighter? Also it seems like some days I have more hair than others so does it mess with the growth pattern of the hair cycle growth? Thank you
Update: After 16 weeks, my beard now has fully grown back. "Madd about skin care" knew what she was talking about, that's EXACTLY the time she told me to wait in order to see the amount of my facial hair normalized again. For all those people who had a few laser sessions and for some reason regreted, I suggest reading my testimonials here. It could be of some help for you. If you need a competent professional who knows very much what she is doing when it comes to skin care and these kinds of treatments, then I honestly recommend you to contact "Madd about skin care". She helped me tremendously throughout my struggle with the undesirable results of my laser hair removal experience, always gave me trustworthy information and explained everything that I needed to now to recover my beard. She also explained me with great detail and accuracy how these treatments work, technically speaking, and relieved my anxiety by assuring that I would be fine in 16-22 weeks. So, if you're interested in going through an aesthetic procedure related to dhermatological treatments, I think it would be a wise decision to talk to her first, or even try to reach her to carry out these treatments for you. You would be dealing with a very capable profissional in the business. Many thanks. And I wish the best luck for all of you! Vinícius.
Hello, Firstly, I'd like to thank all the regulars posters on this forum - hearing your experiences have helped me to realize the rashness of my decision to have LRT on my beard. Sadly, I only found this site after booking a 6 TX programme and I've already had my first treatment 4 days ago; I'm not having any more. Already I can seen feint honeycomb patches on the side of my face, I assume these get worse with continued treatment, and I'd rather have the redness from shaving than risking further treatments. Also I am concerned about the light pigmented circles that have appeared on the skin - I hope it's not a permanent discolouration. About the company I had the treatment with: a chain company based in Ireland with heavy nationwide advertising. After the initial free consultation which offered a £200 discount for 6 TX, if i paid there and then, too good on offer to pass on, I thought. So I was booked in for my first treatment the very next day. More about the consultation: the lady asked very few questions, she didn't even ask very basic ones such as: why I wanted LHR in the first place? or was I aware of uncertainty of the results? To my questions she seemed to be answering from a text book rather than any real insight. But I found the promise of 6-8 TX and you'll be hair free, with extra annual touch ups to good to be true, and as it turns out it probably is. SickNtired's story should serve as a warning, 36 TX that sounds like an emotional, financial and social nightmare. I wish I had the information I have now about patchiness and skin pigmentation I wouldn't have even considered LHR if I knew what some of you guys have gone through. I'm not going to continue the scheduled treatments, hopefully I can get some sort of refund but i doubt it - like my incinerated hair follicles, I fear my money is gone for good But I'm going to cut my losses and move on. Saying that I have a few questions if anybody who has experience with stopping treatments at a very early stage can help: what can I expect my beard to grow back like in the next 6 months, and will I ever able to get a reasonable amount of growth to hide the patchiness? I am 27, have type II or III skin, and I have never had a very full beard anyhow. The type of laser used was Candela Gentlelase 755. I really don't want to be committed to hundreds of TX over the rest of my life, I've made a mistake, and I just hope it's not a lifelong regret. I know I've got the willpower to stay away from the laser whilst I try to recover but will my follicles recover?. I would appreciate any advice as I suffer from anxiety already, and this is one thing I don't want to continuously lose sleep over. Again, thanks for all the posts - they've scared me straight and really helped me understand this isn't what I want. I will keep you informed...
Hi, Thomas. Look, I have some good news for you. Yesterday was the first day, since I lasered my face, that I looked at the mirror and thought "thank God my beard is back!".The cheek area, if not completely recovered, seems to have more beard than before. I can't tell for sure, because I lived all these weeks without knowing what a full beard was anymore. But now I'm quite satisfied. The neck area still has some patchiness but is improving a lot either. "MadAboutSkinCare" told me to wait about 16 to 22 weeks to fully experience homogeneous growth. The results I got were far better than expected, since it has been now about 10 or 11 weeks from my laser session. If you had only one treatment, don't worry too much. I think you will recover your beard after a while. I'm using minoxidil 5% to accelerate the process. I don't really know what could happen if I stop using it, if I would lose the regrown hair. Ocasionally (once or twice a week) I use Retin-A before sleep. I don't know if these are helping improving the results or the regrowth is really happening, for the most part, by the natural way. After some time, I will discontinue the use of both and update my experience here. But don't worry too much, it seems that only one session is not enough to definitely stop your beard growth. Keep shaving for a while and have some patience. Don't despair... have faith in seeing yourself just the way you were back then and let your body take care of its business on the following weeks. By the way, the laser stained my skin too. This treatment sucks hard. I was anxious about those stains being permanent, but they're finally gone too. It took a while, though (8 weeks). So, don't worry too much. Just try to take it easy, and good luck! Oh, and from now on stay away from this procedure from hell!
Hey Zaneti, Thanks for the reply, the support helps. I have to ask you though was your beard very thick and dark before you started treatments? My beard has always been quite light and fair coloured. especially around the sideburns and I hardly any real growth on the cheeks to begin with. For me, it has always been a blessing having such a light growth, but I have suffered horribly with razor bumps and in-grown hairs on my neck and chin, so I wanted an end to it with LHR. For a while i would tweeze like crazy the neck and chin area to help reduce irritation caused by shaving, so i always have had a strange growth pattern around this area. The real concern for me is the damage that might have been caused to the skin. If I don't see a decent regrowth of hair in the area, I won't be to upset as long as I don't have real obvious patches. Well all I can do now is wait and see. Best of luck with your progress too.
Oh, one more thing Zaneti, you mentioned you were treated with lightsheer is this IPL or a medical laser?
Hi there. Thank you. If your hair is light coloured, then you should worry even less. These treatments (I'm refering to Light Sheer specifically) are more effective against dark hair, preferable growing on light skin. I have a very dense beard, covering a wide area of my face, and its hair is very dark, while my skin is very, very pale. So, I am considered an ideal candidate for a successful treatment, as I discovered some days after my first - and last - session. This worried me even more, but as you can see, altbeit being an ideal candidate, my hair is fully growing again, thank God. Lol. About the damages of your skin, wait a little while for the burns to disappear. Always use sunblocker SPF 30 or higher daily untill the skin is cured. And try going to a dermatologist and see if there's something to help hasten the cure of the burns or stains. I think you'll have an easier time in recovery than I'm having. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything, anytime. See you.
I can't tell you as I don't really know the differences between these two.