What is Wrong my Breasts, They Have Grown from a 32 DD to a 32F in 3 Months?

18 years old, 5'4", 100 pounds, not fat - why are my breasts growing so fast and so large? What type of doctor can help me with this problem? What is the condition? What is the solution? I have always had large breasts, much to my disliking, and now they are getting even bigger in a short time.

Breast Growth

+1

A 32 F is 100 cc bigger than s 32 DD.  So over a period of 3 months you have gone up 100 grams.  This increase can be normal growth but it could be abnormal.  You need to discuss this with an endocrinologist or internist.  If you are a 32 F and have neck, back and shoulder pain, you may want to consider a breast reduction.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Dear Ms. 32F

+1

There are lots of good responses here. Seeing an Internist or endocrinologist or a gynecologist is the absolute safest course. I would say a much more likely scenario is what others have alluded to. Your breast may just be still growing. Breast reduction patients are the happiest patients in a plastic surgeon's practice. I will say that most women that have the surgery later in life virtually all say they should have done it much earlier. Young women often are turned off by the scars. Sometimes we can avoid scar all together just using liposuction, particularly in young women with excellent skin. Finally, I would say that having very large breasts often leads to so many socially awkward situations as you probably know. It also often leads to weight gain because women are embarrassed about exercising and start getting sedentary. Take care of it early. You'll be glad later!  

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

When Does Breast Growth Stop?

+1

Some women continue to have pubertal breast enlargement into their early twenties.  A growth spurt at the age of 18 would not be abnormal.  Breasts continue to fluctuate in size and shape throughout life in response to weight gain, pregnancy, or other hormonal changes. You may want to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see if breast reduction is a good choice for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Rapid growth of breast?

+1

At 18 this may be normal for you. An Endocrinologist should be consulted to check on any hormone imbalances and if there are this should be addressed.

After the breast growth stabilizes then you can consider a redution.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Sudden increase in breast size

+1

As plastic surgeons, we see many patients with the problem you just described. Young girls have different development curves for their breasts. First thing is to make sure there are no hormonal imbalances or other endocrine problems and make sure this is part of your normal developmental process. Assuming there are no hormone imbalances to address, I would recommend waiting until your breast size stabilizes and then consulting a plastic surgeon regarding breast reduction surgery. Wear supportive bras in the meantime to protect and support your breasts, decreasing the likelihood of stretching out your breast tissues, compromising your nipple sensation, and decreasing the likelihood of developing stretch marks on your skin.

Perry Liu, MD

Breast size increase

+1
At age 18, you may still be on a developmental curve. However, to rule out any endocrinological conditions which could be implicated, you should be seen by an internist or other medical specialist. If you have started to use oral birth control, this could be implicated in breast enlargement as well.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Sudden Increase In Size of Breasts?

+1

I would suggest that you start with your internist and/or endocrinologist. These doctors will be able to help you rule out medical reasons for the sudden increase in breast size. At some point, once the etiology of the increase breast size has been determined, breast reduction surgery may be indicated.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).

There are patients who present with “juvenile” breast hypertrophy will benefit from breast reduction surgery ( for both physical and psychosocial reasons) at an early age ( even as teenagers). Patients should consider  carefully the pros and cons of the procedure as well as the potential need for further surgery if the breasts “regrow” in size.

When the time is right, see consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.