When Can You Fly After Breast Reduction and Lipo?

I am strongly considering having my surgery done in the States - if my doctors keep insisting on giving me a graft for my nipples! IF I were to do this - I understand that each practice is different in how they deal with out of State and country patients - but how long would I have to wait until I could fly home to Canada? Also the same question if I had liposuction on my hips and stomach - how long till able to fly! Thankyou

Flying after surgery

+1
You should plan on staying with your surgeon until at least the first postoperative visit. In my practice we undergo Skype consultation and follow ups for patients visiting after their first postop period. You should seek a board certified plastic surgeon that does your procedure regularly. If you are referring to free nipple grafts for breast reduction, very rarely indicated. Good luck.

Flying after surgery

+1

Breast reduction and flying.  Ideally you want to be healing without problems before you head home. Safely I would say 1-2 weeks.  Better to stay two weeks but in  reality most people can;t afford all the time.  I will say it is always safest to do it in your home region jsut in case there are problems.. But I do treat alot of people form out of town and our office helps arrange their stay in NYC.  Good luck.

Flying after breast reduction or liposuction

+1
After liposuction, you should be able to fly whenever you felt comfortable and this would depend on the length of the flight. You should wear support hose to guard against embolism. As for breast reduction, I have two comments. First, you should remain in the US as long as your surgeon feels it is important. Followup is an important part of the operative experience and complications may arise which will need to be addressed. Second, with regard to your comment on nipple grafting, if this is recommended because of the length of the pedicles, trying to have the procedure without it may engender the risk of nipple slough and necrosis. It would then be even more problematic to have the complications and be unable to see your surgeon in followup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Flying after Breast Reduction and Liposuction?

+1

You may find that every practice has a different “protocol” regarding flying after surgery. I think it will be in your best interests to stay close to your plastic surgeon for at least 2 weeks after the surgery you are contemplating. This may need to be extended in the event of complications.

It may be in your best interest to communicate with the plastic surgeons you are considering ( for example online consultation)  for more precise advice/information.