What are the ingredients in Belotero? Are they animal derived?

Ingredients of Belotero

+1
Like Juvederm and Restylane, Belotero is a filler made from hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally found in our own bodies and helps restore lost volume. Belotero is not made from any animal by-product.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero is a naturally-occurring substance in your body.

+1
Belotero is hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a naturally-occurring substance in your body. HA is highly capable of absorbing water and provides hydration to your body tissues. It is present in your skin, joints, and other tissues; it is what gives youthful skin its "plump" look.  

Belotero specifically is made by a process called "bacterial fermentation," so it is derived from bacteria and not from animals. It is a little more "liquid" than other fillers, which are more firm. This allows me to use Belotero more closely to the surface of the skin, where it provides a "finishing touch" by smoothing away fine etched lines. 

Andrea Hui, MD
San Francisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero Ingredients

+1
Belotero is not animal derived, it is made out of hyaluronic acid just like Restylane and Juvederm. Hyaluronic Acid (HA) naturally occurs in our bodies; it is in our skin and cushions our joints. HA can hold hundreds of times its weight in water making it preferred for filling lines and depressions.

Belotero’s molecule is cross linked to better integrate into your skin and mold to your facial contours giving you immediate smooth and natural results that can last up to 9 months.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this filler will work for your concerns.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

How do they manufacture belotero balance?

+1
Belotero Balance is comprised of hyaluronic acid, a commonly found component of our body.  The company uses a process called bacterial fermentation to produce hyaluronic acid, and then cross links that to make it more stable.  So to answer your question, it is not one of the animal derived HA's, has the same basic ingredient as the other HA's (restylane, juvederm, perlane, voluma), and has a well established track record for safety and efficacy.
In my practice I use it primarily in the lower lid/rim area.  It's probably the most liquid consistency of the HA's, meaning least likely to form bumps in thin skinned areas like the eyes, or in superficial applications like very fine lines.  But for other areas like lips, cheeks, nasolabial, and melolabial folds, I go with other options.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon