Will Decreased Breast Implant Projection Produce Significant Downsizing Results?

Prior to my breast augmentation, I was a deflated A cup. At my consultation I told my surgeon that all I wanted was a conservative B cup to replace what I lost during pregnancy and breastfeeding. We settled on the Inamed Style 410 implants, 280grams - 12cm width, 11.7 height and 4.4cm projection. I am now measuring a D cup (way too big for me) and I also find them to be too firm.

I believe that it is the somewhat higher overall profile of these implants that give more bang for the buck with these implants. For my downsize re-do, we have settled on the Mentor Round Moderate Profile Silicone implants - 200ccs, 11.7 diameter with 2.5cm projection. Although I'm only going down 80ccs/grams, will the difference in projection give me a the noticeable or visible decrease in size that I'm hoping for? Also, will these Mentor Round Silicones be softer than the Gummy Anatomicals? Thanks in advance.

Unhappy with your appearance or bra size?

+4

Are you unhappy with the appearance of your breasts or the bra size? You do not give your band size or your chest measurement. Normally unless you have a small chest, a 280 gram 410 implant will not make you a D cup. There is much variation in the methods used by bra manufactures to measure cup size. Assuming that your chest measures 29 inches (34 bra), I would expect the 280 gram implant to leave you a C cup.

The 410 implants are firmer than silicone gel, but are still very soft and natural. They tend to feel a little firm for a few months, but at about 6 months, they loosen up considerably. I am not sure how far you are after surgery.

The 200 cc silicone gel implant will most likely make you happier. It will certainly make you smaller. In my experience, women striving for a B cup are likely to be unhappy because the breast appears too small. Since you are unhappy with a 280 gram (approximately 310 cc), the 200cc implant may be satisfactory for you.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Round mod-profile gel an excellent choice in Augmentation

+4

Sandy,

I have a very large experience with the 410 cohesive gel implant in the US. I know in Canada they are often used in augmentation yet I find they are a better choice for breast reconstruction. This is simply a matter of opinion but let me explain why.

The 410 is a shaped implant that after displacment or pressure resumes a breast like shape. It is textured so that it holds the tissue and maintains its proper orientation within the breast. In reconstruction where the breast has been removed the shaped 410 implant will impart a breast like personality to the reconstruction. By nature of the cohesive gel the implant does not have the "flow" or softness we would desire however the replaced or reconstructed breast will not round up as readily and look unnatural. The texture on the shell makes a larger incision necessary to slid the implant into place, also not a problem in reconstruction.

The smooth round moderate profile gel both from Mentor, or Allergan like the 410 are a low bleed good wearing implant with a soft supple texture which will "flow" or blend well with the natural breast tissue. The smooth shell will allow some motion of the implant within the pocket also giving a smoother softer feel than the 410. Breast augmentation is breast enhancement and a round implant will enhance the natural breast shape present without introducing or forcing a shape upon the breast which is not needed for most patients and may be unnatural. Also of course the smooth implant fits through a smaller incision, thought the scar you already have.

Finally the size suggested, 200cc sounds perfect.

All the best to you!

Disposable sizers should be used during surgery to get the right look.

+3

To sadyt123,

Hi! The exact dimensions of the implant should be determined by your anatomy and not by the size you want to be.

I put the patient in the sitting position during surgery (still asleep, of course) and try out different volumes inside a disposable implant. This way the surgeon can see exactly which size looks best and there is no guess work. Also this way you can check for shape and symmetry BEFORE finishing the operation. A sizer costs only $45 and it is discarded at the end of the operation.

If you want a conservative B cup, 200 cc may be too big. Perhaps 175 cc.

Also I don't use "moderate" profile implants because they are really low profile implants and you can get rippling with them, even though they are silicone implants. Use Mentor Moderate PLUS implants

Yes - you should see significant change in size and feel

+3

2 cm of projectiuon is significant and should give you the look you are trying to achieve. The mentor moderate profile gels ae significantly softer than the 410's - especially if you dont have a significant amount of overlying tissue.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing and Different Gel

+2

Yes, the Mentor Implants will probably feel a bit softer.

No, it is unlikely that 80cc will make more than a half-cup size difference, no matter what projection.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size change

+2

The silicone gel implants are softer than the cohesive 410 implants.  Going with the lower profile implants will definitely give you less projection and probably give you the result that you want.

You are probably OK.

+2

As you are going with a smaller implant you will be smaller. How that will look on your frame varies of course. You sound like you are a woman with a thin frame.

Trying to only go up one cup size in smaller patients can be difficult as we need to match the breast width to have the implant look right and that puts us into a certain volume right there. I am not crazy about anatomic implants so as far as I am concerned you are better off without them.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

You should have less projection and feel softer

+2

The Mentor moderate profile gel implants have a very natural look and are not excessively full or buldgy. As long as the base width fits you well it will look good on your frame. The 200 cc gel is a small implant. The feel should also be a bit softer than what you currently have. Review all this with your doctor to be sure.

Most definitely a change

+2

Sandy,

You sound from your description as if you are petite with a narrow chest. For someone like yourself, a reduction of 80 cc and 1.9 cm of projection will certainly make a huge difference.

Generally yes to both questions

+2

I would suspect that the dimensional differences would be significant given the paucity of natural tissue (i.e. if you started with more breast tissue, the differences would be minimized). Also, the silicone gels should feel softer because of their intrinsic texture, but also because a greater proportion of your final breast size will consist of your natural breast tissue.

However, as you have learned, nothing in breast augmentation is guaranteed. The best you can do is analyze the situation with your surgeon and make reasonable choices that seem to give you most of what you want and little of what you don't.