Right Breast Implant Sits Higher Than the Other

I recently had breast augmentation with an internal lift three weeks ago. My right breast implant sits a little higher and I have loose skin around the inner part of the breast. My doctor told me to wrap my breast in bandages and stated that the implant should drop within 6 - 8weeks. Is this a normal post op problem? Will the bandages work and make the implant "drop" on its own, or is revisional surgery the only way to get this fixed?

Asymmetry Soon After Surgery

+2

It is the norm to see differences between the breasts in the first few weeks after surgery.

Manipulation of the implants can be helpful, but should be done only if specifically recommended by your plastic surgeon.

Be patient and communicate your concerns with your surgeon.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants descend within first few months

+2

Thanks for your question.

It is still very early in your post-op course. Breast implants usually descend in the first few months. There is signficant debate about whether dressings (bandages and the like) or massage will actually facilitate repositioning implants. Certainly, implants will descend somewhat on their own.

Either way, massage and bandages will certainly not hurt, but your best friend will be additional time.

Be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Patience is your ally

+2

I would recommend waitng at least 6 months to give your implant a chance to drop and settle into its final position. At this point, if your implant has not settled into a position you can live with, you may require a surgical revison to help place the implant in a lower position in your breast. Keep in mind, all women have some degree of breast asymmetry prior to and after surgery. The question is how much asymmetry can be corrected based on your anatomy and how much is acceptable postoperatively.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to tell

+2

What you are describing is not as uncommon as we would like.

The body is inherently asymmetric to start with. The implant on your dominant hand side can sometimes be pulled up by the pectoralis muscle. Capsular contracture can move and implant and even how you wore bras postop can cause asymmetry.

Whether it will resolve spontaneously, with massage and straps above the breast will remain to be seen. There is a chance so don't do anything for at least 4 months.

If it is still there, it is possible to reoperate and lower the implant which is much easier to do than to have to raise an implant that is too low.

Breast bandages don't do much.

+2

Hi!  Don't even consider a revision for 6 months.  Your breasts may change, but not because of the bandages.  Even the best surgeons get breast asymmetry occasionally.

I have the feeling that eventually your choices are going to be to accept some asymmetry or to have a revision.

Time is your ally

+2

In general, implants will drop rather than elevate over time assuming they stay soft ,so be patient, especially after only three weeks. Whether or not they will drop enough or fill out the medial laxity of the skin is dependent on your individual situation and anatomy but it is too soon to judge the results of your surgery.

Right breast higher, 3 weeks post breast implant and internal lift

+1
Hard to tell anything without photos. You are way too early to make any statements about the final result. They usually start to descend at about three weeks. In general it may take 6 months to a year or so to have the implants finally fall into place. Best that you communicate with your board certified plastic surgeon and let him/her know what is going on. Every surgeon may have their own protocol for message, etc;.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/breast-augmentation

Breast implant asymmetry

+1

You should trust the advice of your surgeon as he is aware of the technical elements of your surgery.  Give it time and the implants will resume their final position. If there is still asymmetry, discuss your concerns again in 6 months. 

Web reference: http://www.karemd.com

Implant asymmetry is common right after surgery--give it time.

+1

Massage, wrapping, and gentle stretching exercises can all be used to coax an implant into the right position after surgery.  Your surgeon will tell you what he/she wants you to do to get the best result possible.  Implants can remain asymmetric for months after surgery, so give it some time. 3 weeks is very early.

Early position problems with breast implants

+1

You describe issues with your right sided implant being higher than the left 3 weeks after surgery. It is important to note that you are very early in the recovery process. When performing internal lifts with implants, over-correction is the norm. This is because the breast will change in shape as it heals. You trusted your plastic surgeon enough to have surgery, please trust them with the postoperative care as well.  It can be a bit distressing for patients when the "final" look of the breast is not seen immediately after surgery. But remember that surgery is not the same thing as sculpting - unlike the sculptor, the body changes as it heals and predicting these changes is part of the art of plastic surgery. Follow the directions given by your surgeon. If after several months, you still have issues, then it may be time to discuss revision surgery.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon