Mini Face Lift or Blepharoplasty: Which to Do First?

I'm planning a mini face lift and an upper eye blepharoplasty, but am looking at different doctors for each procedure. Which procedure should I do first?

Eyelid surgery before facelift if you want separate procedures

I usually do upper eyelid blepharoplasty and facelift together at the same time.

However since you plan to have different doctors do the procedures staging is required.

The blepharoplasty of the upper eyelids will have a dramatic impact and recovery will be easier and fairly simple. Also, the results of the upper eyelid surgery will impact the appearance of your brow and the area to the side of your eyelids. This may impact the technical details of your face lift, thus it is better that this be completed before the face lift.

This is a very small and relatively minor detail. If you choose to do the facelift first, your blepharoplasty surgeon can take these details into consideration.

Mini-Faelift or Blepharoplasty -which to do first

Hi and thanks for your question.  I would highly recommend doing both at the same time. I very often do both procedures at the time.  The advantages are a single healing period, lower surgicenter/anesthesia fees and lower procedure fee for combining the procedures.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Done together

There's no reason why you shouldn't consider having the two surgeries together, except for cost. Any experienced surgeon should be able to help you.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining facelift and blepharoplasty

A facelift and upper blepharoplasty are very complementary procedures and do very well when combined together. Most of the time, patient selected do them simultaneously. This is simple from a logistical standpoint obviously, but if your preference is to split these procedures between different surgeons, that would also work.

It does not really matter which order you do them in, the blepharoplasty will likely have an easier recovery and is less likely to cause swelling in the rest your face that could alter the facelift. My best advice is to try to do them somewhat close together so that you can combine your downtime from the two procedures as much as possible.

To guarantee you're receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS, FASDS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Mini Lift and Upper Lid Blepharoplasty, Which Should You Do First?

The answer to this question lies in your own personal preferences.  I am not sure why the necessity for two Surgeons, since these two procedures are routinely performed together. However, this is also an issue of personal preference as long as you understand that it will be more expensive if separated into two events.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two Procedures

Any Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is well trained in both. The upper lids are often combined with a facelift to enhance the result. 

Why not find a plastic surgeon that can do them both at the same time and save yourself the hassle of two anesthetics?

If you have to split them up do the facelift first.

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D., Ph.D.
Bethesda MD/McLean VA

Makes no difference which goes first between facelift and bleph.

As everyone recommends, doing both bleph and facelift together is great but if you do want to do them separate, it makes no difference which goes 1st.  I advise to do the advanced face/neck lift  and blephs both under local. Cost estimate is $2500 for upper bleph and $8800 on special for advanced face/neck lift. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mini Facelift and Blepharoplasty

I'm curious about why you're considering two different plastic surgeons for your procedures.  A mini facelift and blepharoplasty are very often combined in one operation, saving you money and recovery time.  A board certified plastic surgeon who enjoys facial procedures and performs hundreds each year would be a great candidate to do both at once.

In addition, plastic surgeons who are adept at facial surgery will fine tune their strategy to fit your needs.  We perform mid facelifts for many of our patients, for example.  For these procedures we make tiny incisions under the eyes through which we elevate the tissues of the mid face and perform blepharoplasty for the lower lids.  If this is a good procedure for your needs, it would be a simple matter to do upper eyelid surgery at the time for a complete rejuvenation.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Mini Lift and Blepharoplasty (Upper Eyelid Surgery)

Hi Christina,

Given that you will be having a Mini Lift and not a full facelift and an upper lid blepharoplasty and not a lower one, the order of your surgeries will not matter.

Upper Lid blepharoplasty heals very quickly with minimal amounts of swelling or limitations to you. Lower lid blepharoplasty is much more involved and always involves more swelling or bruising.

A Mini Lift will usually have a 7 to 10 day recovery period. There will be some swelling and bruising but not as bad as with a more extensive facelift.

Really the sequence of these procedures is entirely up to you and your doctors' desires and schedules.

It would be ideal to have both done at the same time but certainly understandable if you have found your doctors of preference to stick with them.

Be well,

Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD

Mini Facelift or Blepharoplasty?

I would suggest that you find a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who you trust that can perform both procedures for you at the same time.  Any experienced surgeon providing facial cosmetic surgery should be able to do both procedures.  The advantages are that you will only have to recover from a surgery once, and that the cost of anesthesia and facility fees should also be less if you are having both performed at the same time.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon