When Will I Notice the Results of the Botox?

Had botox between eyes, frown lines 2 days ago... I see no difference.

BOTOX Cosmetic takes time to work

In general, a patient should notice some effect of the BOTOX Cosmetic within 4-7 days of it being injected. However, this time may be shorter in some individuals. The complete effect is generally seen by 14 days after the date of the injection.

One of the most frequent misconceptions is that BOTOX Cosmetic will work immediately. It is important to understand how BOTOX Cosmetic works.

After BOTOX Cosmetic is injected into the muscle, it takes time for it to bind to the receptor responsible for sending the signal to release a chemical that results in muscle contraction. Until this binding takes place, the patient will not see an effect. This process takes a different amount of time in different people.

I recommend that all patients be seen two weeks after being injected with BOTOX Cosmetic. This will allow your physician to critically evaluate the results. If you are pleased, it will allow the physician to know this so he/she can repeat the injection technique in the future. If you are not completely satisfied, a dose adjustment ("touch up injection") can be performed to meet your expectations. This will also allow your physician to adjust his/her technique in the future.

Remember that BOTOX Cosmetic will not remove lines or wrinkles that are already etched into the skin. For this, one should consider skin resurfacing (e.g., chemical peels, laser, dermabrasion) and/or injectable filler materials (e.g., Restylane, Juvederm).

Be sure your physician has the proper training, credentials, and experience. Communicate your goals before your injection. This will allow your physician to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations.

Botox Effects can be seen 3 to 5 days after treatment: Botulinum Type A

Botox Cosmetic and Effect of Botox

Botox Cosmetic is produced by Allergan. Botox is a name brand for Botulinum Toxin Serotype A and is effective for the reduction of dynamic wrinkles in the forehead, eyebrow area, crow's feet, and perioral area.

Botox works by stopping the output of a specific neurotransmitter known as Acetylcholine across the nerve. Although the effects of Botox occur immediately to stop the release of Acetylcholine, there is still some reserve of the chemical that will last about three to five days in the nerve synapse. Once the reserve is used up, then botox will succesfully stop the release of further Acetylcholine for several months.

In my Santa Monica office, I instruct my patients to follow a strict exercise protocol after their injection.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD Kare Plastic Surgery & Skin Health Clinic Santa Monica, Los Angeles Plastic Surgery

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

You should notice the Botox starting to work in 2-3 days...

You should notice the Botox starting to work in 2-3 days. Over the course of 7-10 days, the effect will become stronger. In my practice, I ask patients to return at two weeks as that point they should be seeing maximal effect. As is mentioned in other forums, lines between the brows can be due to either muscle motion or tethering of the skin to deeper structures. This means that for maximal effect you may need Botox + some type of filler. More permanent options are available.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time to full effect of Botox

Typically the full results of Botox injections are appreciated at 5-7 days. Each patient is a bit different in their response. Prior to this you may start to notice subtle weakness but not the full effect of treatment. If you are at day 2, you will likely note that you have more effect in 2-3 days.

Rachel Streu, MD

Botox: As Early as 24 hours, as Late as 2 weeks

I have seen patients respond as soon as 24 hours and as late as 2 weeks. The average patient takes 3 days. Therefore, I counsel patients that a 3-7 day lag is expected before any benefit is appreciable. The peak effect from Botox is expected at 1 month.

Dysport has shown data that it may take effect earlier than Botox, and I have seen relatively early responses with it. However, have not seen patients requesting it for that reason.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most patients begin to notice a result within 2-3 days following injection.

Most patients begin to notice a result within 2-3 days following injection of Botox. Patients may require 7 days to notice their 'final' result. If you do not notice an effect or your desired result after 7 days, it is a good idea to see your physician who did your treatment. You may require additional units of Botox to see the desired effect.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Botox time to work

Botox typically takes 2-3 days to begin to work. The complete effect can take about a week. If after a week you haven't seen an improvement you should see your doctor.

Pre-injection and post-injection photos can be very helpful in documenting the improvement. Your doctor should also keep close records documenting how much they've injected, at what concentration and where.

Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. At my practice, I perform all the injections personally.

Botox results usually appear within a week

Botox does not take effect immediately, contrary to what many people think. Generally results will appear within a week, with full results visible after two weeks. If you are still unhappy with your results after two weeks, I suggest visiting your injector again for a touch-up, as it is possible you may need more units. 

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

How long to see Botox work

It can take up to 7-14 days to see the full effect of botox. The different brands Botox cosmetic, Dysport, and Xeomin have different rates of onset.  With all of them most of my patient see some response at 5 days which peaks at 14 days from injection.  Most people do not see any response in 2 days.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Botox Results

Most patients see improvement within several days of injection with Botox. The result will usually last about three to four months at which point the muscle action gradually returns and the lines and wrinkles begin to reappear.

Dennis Gross, MD