When Will I Notice the Results of the Botox?

Had botox between eyes, frown lines 2 days ago... I see no difference.

BOTOX Cosmetic takes time to work

+4

In general, a patient should notice some effect of the BOTOX Cosmetic within 4-7 days of it being injected. However, this time may be shorter in some individuals. The complete effect is generally seen by 14 days after the date of the injection.

One of the most frequent misconceptions is that BOTOX Cosmetic will work immediately. It is important to understand how BOTOX Cosmetic works.

After BOTOX Cosmetic is injected into the muscle, it takes time for it to bind to the receptor responsible for sending the signal to release a chemical that results in muscle contraction. Until this binding takes place, the patient will not see an effect. This process takes a different amount of time in different people.

I recommend that all patients be seen two weeks after being injected with BOTOX Cosmetic. This will allow your physician to critically evaluate the results. If you are pleased, it will allow the physician to know this so he/she can repeat the injection technique in the future. If you are not completely satisfied, a dose adjustment ("touch up injection") can be performed to meet your expectations. This will also allow your physician to adjust his/her technique in the future.

Remember that BOTOX Cosmetic will not remove lines or wrinkles that are already etched into the skin. For this, one should consider skin resurfacing (e.g., chemical peels, laser, dermabrasion) and/or injectable filler materials (e.g., Restylane, Juvederm).

Be sure your physician has the proper training, credentials, and experience. Communicate your goals before your injection. This will allow your physician to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations.

You should notice the Botox starting to work in 2-3 days...

+3

You should notice the Botox starting to work in 2-3 days. Over the course of 7-10 days, the effect will become stronger. In my practice, I ask patients to return at two weeks as that point they should be seeing maximal effect. As is mentioned in other forums, lines between the brows can be due to either muscle motion or tethering of the skin to deeper structures. This means that for maximal effect you may need Botox + some type of filler. More permanent options are available.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox: As Early as 24 hours, as Late as 2 weeks

+2

I have seen patients respond as soon as 24 hours and as late as 2 weeks. The average patient takes 3 days. Therefore, I counsel patients that a 3-7 day lag is expected before any benefit is appreciable. The peak effect from Botox is expected at 1 month.

Dysport has shown data that it may take effect earlier than Botox, and I have seen relatively early responses with it. However, have not seen patients requesting it for that reason.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most patients begin to notice a result within 2-3 days following injection.

+2

Most patients begin to notice a result within 2-3 days following injection of Botox. Patients may require 7 days to notice their 'final' result. If you do not notice an effect or your desired result after 7 days, it is a good idea to see your physician who did your treatment. You may require additional units of Botox to see the desired effect.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Botox time to work

+2

Botox typically takes 2-3 days to begin to work. The complete effect can take about a week. If after a week you haven't seen an improvement you should see your doctor.

Pre-injection and post-injection photos can be very helpful in documenting the improvement. Your doctor should also keep close records documenting how much they've injected, at what concentration and where.

Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. At my practice, I perform all the injections personally.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Botox Effects can be seen 3 to 5 days after treatment: Botulinum Type A

+2

Botox Cosmetic and Effect of Botox

Botox Cosmetic is produced by Allergan. Botox is a name brand for Botulinum Toxin Serotype A and is effective for the reduction of dynamic wrinkles in the forehead, eyebrow area, crow's feet, and perioral area.

Botox works by stopping the output of a specific neurotransmitter known as Acetylcholine across the nerve. Although the effects of Botox occur immediately to stop the release of Acetylcholine, there is still some reserve of the chemical that will last about three to five days in the nerve synapse. Once the reserve is used up, then botox will succesfully stop the release of further Acetylcholine for several months.

In my Santa Monica office, I instruct my patients to follow a strict exercise protocol after their injection.

Questions: spakare@yahoo.com

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD www.karemd.com Kare Plastic Surgery & Skin Health Clinic Santa Monica, Los Angeles Plastic Surgery

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Botox Can Take 2-3 Days To Work

+1

It's important to realize that it takes time for botox to work. In the vast majority of patients it takes 2 to 3 days to see a response to this type of treatment. This response becomes progressively stronger over the course of 5 to 7 days following injection.

Under these circumstances, it's not unusual for vertical frown lines to remain unchanged for several days following the injection of botox. Botox is effective for treating dynamic frown lines which are related to muscle contractivity. In cases where furrows are deep, botox may not totally correct the problem and treatment may need to be augmented with juvederm.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

2-10 days before BOTOX works

+1
Highly variable, but it depends on YOU and the area injected. In some patients it takes less than 48 hours, whilst in others upto 10 days, and maximal at 14 days. It also depends on the area it is injected in. 

Hope that helps

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Botox Results

+1
Botox usually takes 2 or 3 days to start to work, and will continue to improve over the first 7 to 10 days. The improvement will last up to 6 months. Once the effect starts to wear off, you will need a repeat treatment to continue the anti-wrinkle result. Some find that the effects last longer after having multiple treatments, even up to a year.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox kicks in in 4-7 days.

+1
Botox is not as fast at kicking in as dysport is. Regular botox takes 4-7 days to kick in whereas dysport does it in 2-3 days. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon