When Are Sutures Removed with a Full Face Lift, Forehead Lift and Small Chin Implant?

When Are Sutures Removed with a Full Face Lift, Forehead Lift and Small Chin Implant

Sutures and Staples Out after Facelift

+1

Convention would dictate about 7 days for sutures in front of the ear.  Staples or sutures in the scalp or behind the ear could be removed at 10 days to 2 weeks.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

When are sutures removed after facelift

+1

In my practice sutures in the face are out in 5 days and staples in the scalp are ususally left for 10 days. That is in a young healthy patient without major medical problems and medications/ social habits that could complicate wound healing.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Timing of suture removal

+1

Sutures are usually removed 5 to 7 days post operatively, while staples are usually removed 7 to 10 days out, Occasionally sutures may be left in longer in certain patients with concerns about wound healing ability eg. patients on cortisone/ steroid therapy, chemotherapeutic drugs, genetic issues with wound healing. Good Luck.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Safe removal...

+1

In my practice, after a full facelift or face and neck lift with chin implant sutures can be safely removed between 5 and 7 days. If staples are used  in the hair bearing areas which is often the case with of a full face and neck lift then staples are removed based on the level of healing up to 10 days after surgery.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Suture removal facelift

+1

One week is generally sufficient. A day or two less or more wont hurt. Staples need to stay in longer.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

+1

usually they are removed at 6-7 days. I tend to remove them at 6 days some people wait for 2 weeks. The more you keep them in the more scarring.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal after face lift

+1

In general sutures are removed 5 -7 days after surgery. If staples were applied for the temple or behind the ear skin they are usually removed after 10-14 days. During your book your face lift consultation your plastic surgeon will tell you about the type of face lift you need and the post operative instruction. That includes suture removal. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Facial Suture Removal Guidelines

+1

Various areas of the face and body heal at different rates allowing for differing times for permanent suture removal based on the strength of the repair. I for example use rapidly dissolving sutures so that no sutures have to be removed on my facelifts, chin augmentation, and blepharoplasty patients. Patients love that ! The only exception is in the hair bearing scalp where clips are used and removed in 10-12 days. There are other factors - for example if buried sutures  are used holding the skin edges together, the skin sutures can be removed earlier. Lastly some surgeons like to remove some earlier than others. In general eyelid sutures are removed in approximately 3-5 days, facial sutures in 5-7 days for most surgeons. Your plastic surgeon will tell you the right answer for your particular surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Facelift - When Are Sutures Removed with a Full Face Lift, Forehead Lift and Small Chin Implant

+1

In general, we remove the sutures under the chin and around the ear at about 6-7 days.  Sutures or staples in the scalp typically stay in for about 10 days and, based on the other answers that are here, I think you can reasonably assume that your non-dissolving sutures would all be out within about ten days of your surgery.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Suture Removal after Faceift, Forehead Lift, and Chin Implant

+1

I generally remove all sutures 6 days after this surgery. The only exception are staples placed within the hair that are sometimes removed at 10 days.