What is a Non Surgical Nose Job

I am unhappy with my nose, but I can't afford rhinoplasty surgery.  I am considering a non-surgical option but don't know much about it other than that it is supposed to be less expensive than plastic surgery.  What exactly is a non-surgical nose job?  Do the results last?

Non-surgical nose jobs are good for some, not so good for others

A non-surgical rhinoplasty or non-surgical nose job uses injection of safe and effective filler materials (typically Radiesse) to alter the shape of the nose. Non-surgical rhinoplasty is a quick and easy alternative for those who want to improve certain features of their nose but are not yet ready for a surgical rhinoplasty. Non-surgical rhinoplasty takes less than five minutes to perform and has minimal discomfort and minimal recovery associated with it. Results typically last up to one year. Non-surgical rhinoplasty should ideally be performed by a surgeon who is also experienced in surgical rhinoplasty.

It is important to realize that a non-surgical rhinoplasty can only be used to alter the shape by adding structure to the nose and cannot remove any structure form the nose.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty can help with the following types of noses:

1. Noses with small humps or bumps
  2. Noses that have had prior surgery and are overly scooped (ski slope noses)
  3. Saddle nose deformity, also known as boxer's nose, which is caused by collapse of nasal structures typically caused by fracture
  4. Pollybeak (aka poly Beak or supratip deformity) deformity
  5. Nose with a retracted columella (a sharp and deep angle between the upper lip and the nose)
  6. Noses with slight asymmetry

Non-surgical rhinoplasty typically cannot help with the following types of noses:

1. Noses with large humps
  2. Large noses
  3. Noses with significant asymmetry
  4. Noses that need tip reduction

The most common filler material used for non-surgical rhinoplasty is Radiesse. Radiesse is ideal for non-surgical rhinoplasty because it is soft enough that it can be injected and molded into shape, yet firm enough that it maintains its shape after injection. Radiesse is made up of tiny granules Calcium (the main element of human bone) so it is very safe and well tolerated by the body. I have also performed a number of non-surgical rhinoplasty procedures using Restylane and fat injections. It is very important that the filler material is injected deeply, just above the bone of cartilage of the nose.

The cost of a non-surgical rhinoplasty is $1000 for the initial session, which is a fraction of the cost of a surgical rhinoplasty. If additional product is needed for touch-ups, the cost can range from $300 to $795.

Non-Surgical Nose Job

Non-surgical rhinoplasty can be used to augment the nose creating subtle or dramatic changes. Dermal-fillers can be used to create missing contours, fill-in low areas, visually decrease humps, define and enhance the tip, and give the nose an overall "finished" look.  Typically, fillers placed in the nose last 6-9 months.  Occasionally, some results are longer because the body is stimulated to build it's own collagen in the area.

Depending on your goals, non-surgical rhinoplasty may be a good alternative while considering surgical rhinoplasty. It can be a great way to preview results and make changes for a smaller time commitment.

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buyer beware of non surgical nose jobs

Currently there is a trend in cosmetic procedures for "non-surgical" solutions. One procedure that has receiving press is the non-surgical rhinoplasty or nose surgery. This is a term used to describe a technique in which synthetic injectable (Restylane, Radiesse, etc.) are injected in the nose to change the shape of the nose.

As a rhinoplasty surgeon in New York City, I have had several patients inquire about this procedure. I warn these patients of marketing terms used to sell a procedure and always recommend doing your homework before consenting to a new trend in cosmetic surgery. I have several concerns about this technique.

1. Patients should understand that this is a temporary solution. Currently, the only synthetic injectable materials FDA approved for cosmetic purposes are temporary. So patients must understand that future treatments will be required to maintain the changes.
  2. I only recommend this technique to address very subtle depression on the nose. For example, if you had a small area on the bridge or sidewall of your nose you may be a candidate for this technique. However if you desired larger changes, such as changes to tip shape, to the width of the nose, or to the shape of your bridge I would not recommend using this technique.
  3. Frequently, nasal surgery is done to improve your breathing. A "non-surgical" rhinoplasty will not address your breathing issues.

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Nonsurgical Nose Job Refers To The Use of Injectable Fillers

Non-surgical rhinoplasty refers to the use of injectable fillers to augment areas of soft tissue deficiency.  This technique is used for minor deformities that require augmentation and therefore has limited usefulness.
The procedure uses injectable fillers such as Radiuses, Juvederm, and Restylane to correct minor contour irregularities.  It has significant limitations because it cannot reduce a large nasal structure when this is indicated.  It also has to be repeated at six to nine month intervals because the filler material doesn’t last.
  It’s important to realize that the use of injectable fillers for this purpose is considered an “off label” use by the FDA.  It’s therefore important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon before proceeding with this type of procedure.  Although the procedure appears simple and less expensive than rhinoplasty, it will need to be repeated.  Over the course of time, this might become more expensive than rhinoplasty surgery.

Non-surgical nosejob

Non surgical nose jobs are simply the application of filler products into the nasal soft tissue of a nose to augment or change the shape of the nose.  Most fillers on the market are temporary (lasting 6-18 months) but there are others that are permanent (eg silicone).  However even the temporary fillers can potentially cause permanent scarring, lymphatic changes, or skin color changes.  Therefore I do not routinely advise having a nonsurgical nose job unless you are absolutely certain that you have ruled out surgery.  Over a few years however, the cost of temporary fillers will certainly eclipse the cost of a standard rhinoplasty, which is a lifetime result after a (hopefully) one-time procedure.  There is no perfect solution and if you have a potentially difficult rhinoplasty that might have a high chance for revision, then the nonsurgical nosejob may be an option for you.  A thorough evaluation is necessary before making any decision, and I would be happy to discuss further during an in-person consultation.  Have a nice day!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty Options

There are indeed non-surgical rhinoplasty options for both primary and secondary patients. I use non-surgical options for Asian patients and primary rhinoplasty patients in which I’ll put dorsal only Restylane and/or Juvederm fillers in this area with good results that last over 2 years. I also use fillers in secondary patients that have small contour deformities or ones that are much too early to operate on. I think this is a very good option, but it is not a permanent one. However, it is a safe option using FDA approved hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm. I would strongly encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon or rhinoplasty plastic surgeon that has significant expertise in this area.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

What is a Non-Surgical Nose Job?

A non-surgical Rhinoplasty is basically a way of altering the appearance of the nose by using injectable fillers in an 'off-label' use. It has limited indications in Primary Rhinoplasty and is used primarily for filling in the radix depression of the bridge - thereby making the bridge look straighter. It can also be used to conservately define or project the tip in selected cases. It can also be used to camaflouge various dents, depressions or asymmetries of the nose. What matters here is just what exactly is bothering you. Even if you are a good candidate for this approach you may ultimately end up spending more on the fillers than a surgery over time. A good nasal surgeon can educate you as to the pros and cons of either approach. Be aware however that you need to see a physician that can treat you either way. Some non-surgeons with little knowledge of nasal anatomy or aesthetics may offer the non-surgical approach even if you are not really a good candidate for that approach. Best of Luck  - Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Non-surgical nose job

Non-surgical nose job involves injecting fillers into the noses soft tissue in order to help camouflage the nasal bump or to hide nasal asymmetry.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS