Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

What is Juvederm Ultra used for? How is this different from other types of Juvederm, like Ultra Plus - do they treat different things?

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra Plus

+4

The difference in Juvederm Ultra and Ultra plus is mostly consistency.  Juvederm ultra is thin and less viscous, thus appropriate for injection intradermally to address fine wrinkles and scars.  In my practice I rarely use Ultra and much prefer Ultra plus for many reasons.  For volume fill of the lips and reshaping the face, which is most of what I do with Juvederm, Ultra plus provides more dramatic results and lasts much longer.  These products get very expensive and I feel that out of all the HA products that I have used Juvederm Ultra Plus gives the most bang for the buck for my patients.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Differences between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

+4

There are four forms of Juvederm:  Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC.  The XC formulations of both products have added lidocaine, an anesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.

The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus is that Juvederm Ultra Plus is a more robust formulation, that is made for deeper and more severe facial wrinkles and folds that Juvederm Ultra.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is ideal for deeper naso-labial folds, whereas Juvederm Ultra, a finer molecule, does very well in enhancement of the lips or filling fine wrinkles.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulta vs Ultra Plus

+2

Although Juvederm is an excellent product, it suffers from an unfortunate name issue of Ultra and Ultra Plus.  Ultra is used for superficial locations where maximum silkiness is needed.  Ultra Plus is a thicker product with longer duration at the expense of less silkiness.  Their use should be based on the recommendation of an experienced injector.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultraplus

+2

Ultra Beauty,

Thanks for the question. Juvederm Ultra is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occuring polysaccharide component of all connective tissue, that helps add volume and hydration. It is a uniform structure throughout all species. Adverse reactions are exceedingly rare. Cross-linking is the differentiating factor between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, at 6 % and 8 % respectively. Both products are FDA approved for management of nasolabial folds, although their off-label use include areas such as lips and periorbita, among others. In our hands, this is an exceptional product with negligible side-effects. The large propensity of patients tend to be quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Do you prefer Juvederm Ultra or Ultra Plus?

+1
Both products are HA fillers, known as hyaluronic acid filler which acts like an inflated cushion to support facial structures and tissues which may have lost volume or elasticity due to normal aging.  It also brings water to the surface of the skin to keep it looking fresh and supple.

Juvederm Ultra Plus has a larger molecule size allowing it to be used in deeper folds and lines than Juvederm Ultra which provides a smaller molecule permitting this product to be better used in the lips and small folds of the skin.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra Plus XC

+1
Ultra plus juvederm has a thicker consistency, and I find is easier to control during injection, and fills more effectively. Different surgeons will have different preferences and results.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

+1
Juvederm Ultra is what most patients typically refer to as Juvederm.  It is a great product for the nasolabial area, lips, and temples.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is a thicker version of Juvederm and is used for even deeper wrinkles primarily in the nasolabial area.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with these facial fillers.

Michele S. Green, MD

Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus vs. Voluma

+1
All of the Juvederm family of fillers are hyaluronic acids - a natural building block of the body that is very well tolerated. they are all used differently to achieve natural re-volumization of the face. A skilled and experienced injector chooses a filler as an artist chooses a brush. The Juvederm Ultra product is used superficially in thin tissues such as the lips. Juvederm Ultra Plus is a little thicker and stiffer and is used in the intermediate levels below the skin to achieve volume increase and smoothing. Juvederm Voluma is the thickest, most elastic product that is the most sculptural product we use. With it placed down at the level of the bone, we can achieve considerable lift and better shaping than with the thinner fillers. All of the Juvederm fillers have a very large safety margin and all are "erasable" should a complication occur or even if it is that you just don't like the result.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus Depends on Severity of Wrinkles and Creases

+1
Juvederm Ultra is used to treat lines and folds that are mild to moderately deep, whereas Juvederm Ultra Plus is for deeper lines and folds. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Juvederm Ultra versus Ultra plus

+1
An  experienced injector will determine which specific formulation of Juvederm to use based on the application required. Juvederm ultra plus is used for deeper lines and has more cross-linking and lasts longer in the body