Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

What is Juvederm Ultra used for? How is this different from other types of Juvederm, like Ultra Plus - do they treat different things?

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra Plus

+4

The difference in Juvederm Ultra and Ultra plus is mostly consistency.  Juvederm ultra is thin and less viscous, thus appropriate for injection intradermally to address fine wrinkles and scars.  In my practice I rarely use Ultra and much prefer Ultra plus for many reasons.  For volume fill of the lips and reshaping the face, which is most of what I do with Juvederm, Ultra plus provides more dramatic results and lasts much longer.  These products get very expensive and I feel that out of all the HA products that I have used Juvederm Ultra Plus gives the most bang for the buck for my patients.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Differences between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

+3

There are four forms of Juvederm:  Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC.  The XC formulations of both products have added lidocaine, an anesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.

The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus is that Juvederm Ultra Plus is a more robust formulation, that is made for deeper and more severe facial wrinkles and folds that Juvederm Ultra.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is ideal for deeper naso-labial folds, whereas Juvederm Ultra, a finer molecule, does very well in enhancement of the lips or filling fine wrinkles.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulta vs Ultra Plus

+2

Although Juvederm is an excellent product, it suffers from an unfortunate name issue of Ultra and Ultra Plus.  Ultra is used for superficial locations where maximum silkiness is needed.  Ultra Plus is a thicker product with longer duration at the expense of less silkiness.  Their use should be based on the recommendation of an experienced injector.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultraplus

+2

Ultra Beauty,

Thanks for the question. Juvederm Ultra is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occuring polysaccharide component of all connective tissue, that helps add volume and hydration. It is a uniform structure throughout all species. Adverse reactions are exceedingly rare. Cross-linking is the differentiating factor between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, at 6 % and 8 % respectively. Both products are FDA approved for management of nasolabial folds, although their off-label use include areas such as lips and periorbita, among others. In our hands, this is an exceptional product with negligible side-effects. The large propensity of patients tend to be quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus Depends on Severity of Wrinkles and Creases

+1
Juvederm Ultra is used to treat lines and folds that are mild to moderately deep, whereas Juvederm Ultra Plus is for deeper lines and folds. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Juvederm Ultra versus Ultra plus

+1
An  experienced injector will determine which specific formulation of Juvederm to use based on the application required. Juvederm ultra plus is used for deeper lines and has more cross-linking and lasts longer in the body

JUVÉDERM Ultra Plus is a bit thicker.

+1
JUVÉDERM Ultra is the product that’s commonly referred to as just “JUVÉDERM.” It’s a very popular hyaluronic acid filler that I like to use for finer wrinkles caused by volume loss, such as smoker’s lines around the lips. JUVÉDERM Ultra Plus has a thicker consistency, although it’s essentially the same formulation. The extra body of the Ultra Plus makes it ideal for deeper lines like the nasolabial folds (parentheses lines).As with any filler, every doctor will have his or her personal preference or feelings about which one delivers the best results, so remember to prioritize the skill level of your surgeon rather than any specific product.

Joseph J. Castellano, MD
Tampa General Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

+1

The diference is that Ultra plus lasts about 2 months longer than the regular Juvederm. Ultra Plus, a robust formulation for volumizing and correcting deeper wrinkles and folds.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Juvederm vs Juvederm Ultra Plus

+1

Both products are hyaluronic acid, but Juvederm is a smaller particle size than the Juvederm Ultra Plus.  For cheek augmentation I usually recommend using Ultra Plus and Juvederm Ultra for lips and wrinkles.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

+1

Thank you for the great question. Without getting too technical, the difference has to do with thickness and flow. Juvederm Ultra is slightly thinner and flows more easily. This makes it more appropriate for some areas of the face. The disadvantage is that it may not last quite as long, though this difference is not dramatic in my experience.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon