Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

What is Juvederm Ultra used for? How is this different from other types of Juvederm, like Ultra Plus - do they treat different things?

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra Plus

The difference in Juvederm Ultra and Ultra plus is mostly consistency.  Juvederm ultra is thin and less viscous, thus appropriate for injection intradermally to address fine wrinkles and scars.  In my practice I rarely use Ultra and much prefer Ultra plus for many reasons.  For volume fill of the lips and reshaping the face, which is most of what I do with Juvederm, Ultra plus provides more dramatic results and lasts much longer.  These products get very expensive and I feel that out of all the HA products that I have used Juvederm Ultra Plus gives the most bang for the buck for my patients.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Ulta vs Ultra Plus

Although Juvederm is an excellent product, it suffers from an unfortunate name issue of Ultra and Ultra Plus.  Ultra is used for superficial locations where maximum silkiness is needed.  Ultra Plus is a thicker product with longer duration at the expense of less silkiness.  Their use should be based on the recommendation of an experienced injector.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultraplus

Ultra Beauty,

Thanks for the question. Juvederm Ultra is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occuring polysaccharide component of all connective tissue, that helps add volume and hydration. It is a uniform structure throughout all species. Adverse reactions are exceedingly rare. Cross-linking is the differentiating factor between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, at 6 % and 8 % respectively. Both products are FDA approved for management of nasolabial folds, although their off-label use include areas such as lips and periorbita, among others. In our hands, this is an exceptional product with negligible side-effects. The large propensity of patients tend to be quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

The differences between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Plus

In essence, Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Plus are both in the same family of all natural hyaluronic acid fillers and are used to treat wrinkles of the face. Juvederm Ultra is a smaller particle size and is used to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles whereas Juvederm Plus is a larger particle size and is used to treat deeper folds and wrinkles. At your consultation, a dermatologist can determine which will be best for your unique treatment plan.

Mary Hurley, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Differences between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

There are four forms of Juvederm:  Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC.  The XC formulations of both products have added lidocaine, an anesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.

The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus is that Juvederm Ultra Plus is a more robust formulation, that is made for deeper and more severe facial wrinkles and folds that Juvederm Ultra.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is ideal for deeper naso-labial folds, whereas Juvederm Ultra, a finer molecule, does very well in enhancement of the lips or filling fine wrinkles.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm fillers

Juvederm family of fillers has a number of different products that can be used for a variety of indications. 
The original juvederm Ultra Plus is designed for deeper lines, as opposed to Juvederm Ultra which is designed for more superficial use.
Novel, longer lasting Juvederm products approved include Juvederm Voluma (superb volumizer for cheeks). In Canada, Juvederm Volift (for deeper folds) and Juvederm Volbella (lips) are also available. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra plus differences.

Juvederm Ultra is a lighter, thinner product. It is best suited for under eyes, lips, and finer more delicate lines. Juvederm Ultra Plus is a thicker product, with a greater ability to lift deeper folds and wrinkles, it is best suited for the lower face, nasolabial folds and cheeks, and it also tends to last longer than juvederma ultra.  

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm ultra versus ultra plus

Juvederm ultra is thinner than ultra plus. I tend to use the thinner product more superficially, or in areas where the tissues are thin (e.g. Tear trough or lips).  I would consider the use of Juvederm Ultra Plus for areas like the nasolabial folds, marionette region.  For regions like the mid face (cheeks), Voluma or Perlane are good options.

Both fillers are associated with excellent clinical results...

Both Juvederm ultra and Ultra Plus are hyaluronic acid fillers. Both fillers are associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.
Although Ultra and Ultra Plus have many similarities, important differences exist between them. Juvederm ultra is a thinner, smoother, silkier hyaluronic acid formulation that’s used for more superficial injections. It typically lasts for 6 to 9 months. In contrast ultra plus has more cross links within the hyaluronic acid and as a result is thicker and last for longer periods of time. This solution is often used for deeper injections and volume replacement.
If you’re considering Juvederm injections it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to determine which type of Juvederm is best for you.

Do you prefer Juvederm Ultra or Ultra Plus?

Both products are HA fillers, known as hyaluronic acid filler which acts like an inflated cushion to support facial structures and tissues which may have lost volume or elasticity due to normal aging.  It also brings water to the surface of the skin to keep it looking fresh and supple.

Juvederm Ultra Plus has a larger molecule size allowing it to be used in deeper folds and lines than Juvederm Ultra which provides a smaller molecule permitting this product to be better used in the lips and small folds of the skin.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon