Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

What is Juvederm Ultra used for? How is this different from other types of Juvederm, like Ultra Plus - do they treat different things?

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra Plus

The difference in Juvederm Ultra and Ultra plus is mostly consistency.  Juvederm ultra is thin and less viscous, thus appropriate for injection intradermally to address fine wrinkles and scars.  In my practice I rarely use Ultra and much prefer Ultra plus for many reasons.  For volume fill of the lips and reshaping the face, which is most of what I do with Juvederm, Ultra plus provides more dramatic results and lasts much longer.  These products get very expensive and I feel that out of all the HA products that I have used Juvederm Ultra Plus gives the most bang for the buck for my patients.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Ulta vs Ultra Plus

Although Juvederm is an excellent product, it suffers from an unfortunate name issue of Ultra and Ultra Plus.  Ultra is used for superficial locations where maximum silkiness is needed.  Ultra Plus is a thicker product with longer duration at the expense of less silkiness.  Their use should be based on the recommendation of an experienced injector.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultraplus

Ultra Beauty,

Thanks for the question. Juvederm Ultra is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occuring polysaccharide component of all connective tissue, that helps add volume and hydration. It is a uniform structure throughout all species. Adverse reactions are exceedingly rare. Cross-linking is the differentiating factor between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, at 6 % and 8 % respectively. Both products are FDA approved for management of nasolabial folds, although their off-label use include areas such as lips and periorbita, among others. In our hands, this is an exceptional product with negligible side-effects. The large propensity of patients tend to be quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

The differences between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Plus

In essence, Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Plus are both in the same family of all natural hyaluronic acid fillers and are used to treat wrinkles of the face. Juvederm Ultra is a smaller particle size and is used to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles whereas Juvederm Plus is a larger particle size and is used to treat deeper folds and wrinkles. At your consultation, a dermatologist can determine which will be best for your unique treatment plan.

Differences between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

There are four forms of Juvederm:  Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC.  The XC formulations of both products have added lidocaine, an anesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.

The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus is that Juvederm Ultra Plus is a more robust formulation, that is made for deeper and more severe facial wrinkles and folds that Juvederm Ultra.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is ideal for deeper naso-labial folds, whereas Juvederm Ultra, a finer molecule, does very well in enhancement of the lips or filling fine wrinkles.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Family: Ultra, Ultra Plus, and Voluma Explained.

All of the Juvederm family starts with hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring glycoprotein which is found in many places in the human body. Most notably, it is in the fluid of joints and seems to act like a lubricant to keep your joints gliding smoothly. 

The hyaluronic acids are then cross linked in a chemical reaction. 

More cross linking makes bigger molecules and stiffer fillers.  

Less cross linking makes smaller molecules and softer fillers.  

Juvederm Ultra is the least cross linked and softest. 
Juvederm UltraPlus is medium.  
JuverdermVoluma is the most cross linked and is the stiffest.  

The bigger the molecule, the longer the filler lasts.  This is why Voluma hangs around the longest, 18-24 months. 

Ultra vs Ultra Plus

Ultra Plus if better for finer lines and Ultra is better for where volume is desired.  Both products are quite hydrophilic and result in swelling of the injected region.

Juvederm fillers

Juvederm family of fillers has a number of different products that can be used for a variety of indications. 
The original juvederm Ultra Plus is designed for deeper lines, as opposed to Juvederm Ultra which is designed for more superficial use.
Novel, longer lasting Juvederm products approved include Juvederm Voluma (superb volumizer for cheeks). In Canada, Juvederm Volift (for deeper folds) and Juvederm Volbella (lips) are also available. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra plus differences.

Juvederm Ultra is a lighter, thinner product. It is best suited for under eyes, lips, and finer more delicate lines. Juvederm Ultra Plus is a thicker product, with a greater ability to lift deeper folds and wrinkles, it is best suited for the lower face, nasolabial folds and cheeks, and it also tends to last longer than juvederma ultra.  

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm ultra versus ultra plus

Juvederm ultra is thinner than ultra plus. I tend to use the thinner product more superficially, or in areas where the tissues are thin (e.g. Tear trough or lips).  I would consider the use of Juvederm Ultra Plus for areas like the nasolabial folds, marionette region.  For regions like the mid face (cheeks), Voluma or Perlane are good options.