Juvederm Lips

the juvederm tv ad shows it used for around the mouth, so what would it be like to get juvederm in lips to give me plumper lips?

Juvederm and Lip Augmentation

+9

Juverderm, like Restylane, is a hyaluronic acid. This is a naturally occuring sugar in our bodies, so it is easily accepted by the body and not likely to create a reaction like you can get with man-made synthetic agents like silicone and Artefill.

Juvederm and Restylane work very well for lip enhancement, and while not FDA-approved for this use, I feel they are very safe and effective and I use them daily in my practice.

Your lips are sensitive and, when injected, can be painful. Many doctors give dental blocks for this, but I use a strong formulation of topical ointment, which is specially formulated for me and works extremely well.
I don't like dental blocks because they can distort the natural motion of the lips and cause additional swelling, which can make it difficult to see what is from the block and what is from the filler.
Lip augmentation/enhancement involves more than just injecting the lips. You must also add volume and restore the corners of the mouth, below the lip area and often the jaw and chin as well. It is only through this process of restoring the lost support of the lower third of the face that you can restore natural looking lips without causing a distorted over-filled look, which we all have seen walking the streets.

I also use the application of ice before, during and after lip enhancement, which helps with the discomfort and with post-procedure swelling.

Also, unless the is a medical reason not to, I ask my patients to discontinue aspirin, ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatory medications at least 5 days prior to the procedure. This helps reduce the chances of bruising.
My biggest tip is to spend time selecting your doctor. Not all doctors are created equal. You need someone who is well trained and a specialist in this area, not your family doctor. Make sure you see examples of his or her work and ask people who have been to them.

Remember, price should not be your main consideration when choosing a good cosmetic surgeon; experience, training and education are all important factors when making this important decision.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lisa Rinna lips - not... expectations for Juvederm lip augmentation

+8

Augmentation of the lips should be subtle. A small increase goes a long way and gives a natural, sexy fullness to the lips. Your lips should not arrive in a room before you.

You should discuss what you'd like your lips to look like. Do you want more body in your lips, more definition of the edges of the lips, or both? Your upper lip should be smaller than your lower lip (70% the size of the lower lip). The lower lip should not be filled all the way to the corner (oral commissure) to avoid a "sausage" appearance.

For lip augmentation, I offer my patients dental nerve blocks to numb the lips, which makes the treatment much more pleasant for both of us. In patients who decline a nerve block, numbing gel is applied, and then prior to each injection an ice pack is held on the lip.

Lips should not be overcorrected with Juvederm, as the product attracts more water from under the skin after it is injected. Initially your lips should look more swollen than you would like, just from the trauma of the injections. Patients do comment that their lips feel smoother after Juvederm than with other fillers. Within 12-24 hours they should look how you'd like them to look.

If after one week there is asymmetry, then return to your doctor. If they are too big, then Widase can be injected to help dissolve some of the product. If they are uneven, a little more may be added.

Lastly, I just read Dr. Arnold Klein's (Dr. Klein is THE expert in injectables) comments here on RealSelf.com, which are very informative.

Good luck.
Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Juvederm for lip augmentation

+5

The Background

Juvederm® is an excellent material for lip augmentation. It is made out of hyaluronic acid, a substance that is found naturally in the intra- and extracellular matrices of our bodies. Juvederm® is derived through a synthetic process by Allergan, the maker of Botox®. Juvederm® provides and even volumetric enhancement (plumping) of the lips because it is hydrophilic (attracts water), which helps prevent lumpiness.

The Procedure

Juvederm is administered as an office procedure, usually with the assistance of nerve blocks (dental blocks) to numb the lips and facilitate treatment. When the patient is completely comfortable, the procedure is generally smoother and the patient has less anxiety about repeating the procedure in the future.

I have also used topical anesthetics which are specially formulated, but have found them to be less effective than nerve blcoks. The nerve block generally lasts for 1-2 hours. I do not use epinephrine in nerve blocks to avoid increases in heart rate.

The Result

Juvederm® is very highly cross-linked form of hyaluronic acid, making it less likely to be broken down quickly than other hyaluronic fillers. Juvederm® typically lasts for 4-6 months for volume enhancement in the lips. However, I have seen it last for up to 1 year when injected in the vermillion border, which represents the transition area, or "white roll" between the red and white lip.

Studies have shown that hyaluronic acid fillers can stimulate collagen production through a flattening effect on fibroblasts (collagen producing cells in the skin). The amount of enhancement to be obtained is up to the patient, but I advise patients trying it for the first time to choose a more subtle look and 1 syringe will generally facilitate this.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm video: lip augmentation demo

+4

Watch as Dr. Renato Saltz, spokesperson for the Physicians Coalition for Injectable Safety, demonstrates Juvederm treatment for non-surgical lip augmenation on a patient experiencing a lip augmenation for the first time.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Juvaderm in the Lips

+3

Juvaderm is probably the best product for lip plumping (i.e. when people want bigger and fuller lips).  It can, however, be used elsewhere in the face, especially in the lower part around the mouth.  I have some pictures of Juvaderm in the lips on my before and after gallery, please access it.  As long as you are conservative, the overall look is full and very natural.  You can get really big lips if you want, but subtle enhancement is usually what people  are looking for.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm is one of the fillers used for lip augmentation...

+3

Juvederm is one of the fillers used for lip augmentation. This is an off-label use of Juvederm, which is FDA approved for use in the deep lines around the mouth. Restylane is also used for lip augmentation.

While lip augmentation is an off-label use of these products, they are very safe products and give beautiful, natural-looking results.

During the procedure, the doctor will use local anesthesia to make you comfortable. I inject my patients while they are sitting up, so that I can see how gravity affects them. I also examine how the skin of the mid- and lower face, and any other lines and wrinkles on the face, affect the appearance of the lips. It may be a good idea to inject some filler around the mouth and/or the chin area to give more support to the mouth and lips.

The lip augmentation procedure usually takes 10-15 minutes. You may be swollen and slightly bruised for up to one week. The results typically last 3 months.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Expect great lips with Juvederm!

+3

You can expect to get some great lips from your Juvederm!

Your doctor may inject local freezing to numb your lips prior to injecting the Juvederm or may use ice packs to decrease the sensation of the needle in your lips.

Likely you will be asked to lie down on an exam table and usually the top lip injections are done first. There are several different methods for actually injecting the Juvederm but each involves multiple small needle pokes - so be patient and try not to flinch with the needles.

You may experience some bruising at the sites of the needle pokes but these will disappear in a few days. You may also experience some swelling which will also settle over a few days. You can decrease any chance of swelling or bruising by apply icepacks to your lips immediately after the treatment. Also, avoid taking any aspirin or ibuprofen products for 3 days prior to and 3 days after your injections to also decrease the chance of bruising. Make sure to tell your doctor if you are on any blood thinning medications.

If your doctor puts local freezing in your lips you will stay numb for several hours. During that time make sure to avoid any hot drinks or soup since you can burn your lip and not feel it. You may also find it difficult to talk with numb lips and may also have the sensation that you are drooling. So if your doctor is going to freeze your lips plan your appointment for the end of your work day!

It took several days for the swelling to settle down from my Juvederm lip augmentation, but it was well worth it. I love my Juvederm lips and love giving fantastic, plump, kissable Juvederm lips to my patients!

Kim Meathrel, MD
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm - lips

+2

Juvederm is great for the lips!  In my practice in Beverly Hills I do a lot of "lip plumping".  One thing you should talk to your surgeon about before "plumping" is the look you want.  I prefer a more natural look where the lips look full but not fake.  As a woman - I understand your desire to have full lips!  If you go to an experienced injector who communicates well with you and understands your aesthetic goals - you will enjoy the results of this procedure.

Dr. Cat Begovic

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Juvederm and other hyaluronic acid fillers are great for lip augmentation

+2

Juvederm, Juvederm Ultra Plus, and Restylane are excellent treatments for lip augmentation when done properly and conservatively. Subtle injections maintaining the normal anatomy of the lips can result in very natural appearing, plumper lips. It is also a great treatment for patients with a "gummy" smile. That is people whose lips don't cover their gums when smiling. However, there are some key points to understand when undergoing lip augmentation with fillers.

• Lips have a natural anatomy: The upper lip is composed of 3 segments. There is a central tubercle (a pout) that extends further down than the rest of the upper lip. There are two indentations on either side of the tubercle, as the lip then tapers with lateral lip elements on both sides of the tubercle. The lower lip is composed of 2 segments or "pillows" separated by a central indentation. It is very important that these structures be maintained when augmenting lips. If not a "sausage" type appearance can occur with the lip being one big tubular structure than is not very appealing. In addition, the lower lip should be slightly bigger than the upper lip.
  • Conservative approach is the key: A slight augmentation of relatively plump lips can result in a beautiful natural appearance. However, trying to pump up very thin lips into Angelina Jolie lips can be quite disasterous and deforming. Adding volume to thin lips in a conservative fashion (again maintaining the anatomical structures) is the result you should be looking for.
  • Communicate with your doctor: Some people think that injecting fillers is a quick and mindless procedure. If your doctor is quick to inject your lips and doesn't listen to your requests, you may be quite unhappy with the result. Make sure you and your doctor agree to the result you are trying to achieve.

Lip augmentation with fillers is a very powerful way to improve wrinkles around your mouth, add volume to thinning and aged lips, and decrease the amount of gum show when smiling if done properly. Since it is temporary, it also give you the chance to see if something more permanent, like fat grafting, is something you may want to pursue.

Scott J. Engel, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Juvederm

+2
Juvederm is a naturally-occurring injectable agent ideal for lip enhancement. It can also be used to soften facial lines and creases. We have found Juvederm Ultra, and Juvederm Ultra Plus to be very well tolerated, and have yet to encounter an allergic or inflammatory response to any of these products.
Juvederm does NOT contain any material that does not naturally occur in soft tissues, such as hydroxyapetite or methylmethacrylate, which can result in granuloma (cyst) formation and chronic inflammation. Be VERY wary of injectable agents that contain materials that do not naturally occur in soft tissues, as the risk of these complications is often minimized to patients.
Juvederm injections require just a few minutes to perform. The aesthetic improvement is immediate,and downtime is generally very minimal swelling that lasts a short time. The goal is an aesthetic improvement that appears natural.
Most injections of Juvederm Ultra or Juvederm Ultra Plus, can be performed with little or no pain by administration of local anesthesia just prior to the injection. Injection of the lips is usually completely painless, using intra-oral anesthesia that produces total numbness of the lips. Our aim is to provide an immediate and beautiful aesthetic enhancement, with little or no discomfort and downtime.
The duration of the improvement varies from patient to patient. Some patients have reported results of up to a year with Juvederm Untra Plus. Many patients that enjoy the results of their hyaluronic acid treatments become interested in permanent soft tissue enhancement. For these patients, structural fat grafting, using autologous (the patient's own) fat. Using specialized instrumentation and technique, structural fat grafting can produce permanent improvements in facial contours.
When performed with expertise by an exerienced injector, the results of Juvederm, can look and feel natural. For best results, look for a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with years of experience with a variety of dermal fillers. Be sure to view many before and after photographs. In most offices, many staff members have received dermal fillers in their lips or other areas of the face and would be pleased to share their experience with you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon