What is the Ideal Age to Have Lasik Eye Surgery?

At what age should you be before you undergo Lasik Eye Surgery to correct your vision? Is there any sort of age requirement or age limit to have laser eye surgery?

Ideal age for LASIK is when your vision is stable

As a general rule, we recommend that patients are at least 21 years of age for LASIK or PRK vision correction. Some patients have been treated younger than this with excellent and stable results and the minimum is probably 18. More important than age is the health of the eyes and the stability of the refraction. This means that the eyes are no longer changing for the previous year so that the treatment has a higher likelihood of being permanent.

One benefit of being younger is that there are more years to enjoy the benefit of improved vision, the eyes tend to heal quicker and stabilize faster, and there is less side effects with things such as dry eyes. There is also less problems with reading vision than in older patients.

At first LASIK seemed to be most popular with an older demographic of average age around late 30's or early 40's but now we are seeing many more generation Y patients in their 20's who have discovered the benefits of laser vision correction.

Greenwood Village Ophthalmologist

The Ideal Age for LASIK

LASIK is FDA approved for patients 18 or older. There is no upper age limit.

• In my practice I prefer to delay the treatment until age 20 to make sure the prescription has stabilized. By that age most patients are no longer exposed to the accommodative stress of school studies, which could cause progression of myopia.
  • For patients in their 30’s or 40’s, LASIK is a wonderful procedure, but special consideration must be given to the management of presbyopia (need for reading glasses after 40)
  • For patients in their 50 and 60’s LASIK is still safe and effective, but other factors, such as possible cataracts, that start appearing at this age, must be evaluated. In the face of a cataract LASIK will not improve vision and cataract surgery should be considered.
  • It is not uncommon for patients to undergo LASIK in their 70’s and 80’s, as an enhancement for premium cataract surgery. I've had many patients have successful LASIK surgery in their 70s and 80s. 

Arthur Benjamin, MD
West Hollywood Ophthalmologist

Refractive Surgery Perfect Age

I like to wait until patients are at least 21 and I make sure that their prescriptions are stable, so they can enjoy their results longer!  It is difficult to pick an ideal age, but anywhere from the mid-20s to 40s is usually reasonable. I was 25 when I had mine done!

Deepak Raja, MD
Orlando Ophthalmologist

Age for LASIK

The minimum age to have LASIK is 18 and there isn't an ideal age to have the procedure. For most people, their eyes stop growing after the age of 18, although there can continue to be refractive changes to their vision throughout life.To decrease those changes, we recommend all of our patients to take a 20-second break each day that involves looking into the distance for every 20 minutes of near-work-activity performed. This will help to decrease the changes in your vision as a result of near-work-activity induced myopia.

Ideal Age For LASIK

There isn't an ideal age for LASIK, per se; multiple factors need to be considered at every age.
That being said, I do not consider laser correction until the patient is at least 21 years of age. This is because when we are young, our prescription frequently changes, and certain eye disorders may not be apparent prior to our early 20s. 

For the most part, LASIK works very well in our mid 20s, 30s and early 40s because our eyes typically stabilize by this point, and we still have the ability to use our eyes to focus on near objects (i.e. read without "cheaters"). As we age, we lose that ability, and so we need reading glasses, even after having LASIK.
After age 40, I pay close attention to hobbies and visual demands, and carefully outline realistic goals and expectations after surgery. For example, a 45 year old athlete may be alright with reading glasses, but she would love to be able to compete in a bike race without glasses or contacts. However, a 50 year old book worm would see little benefit from correcting his nearsightedness (which is what he uses to read).

Regardless of age, I decline cases when other issues are present, such as cataracts, bad diabetes, glaucoma, keratoconus or macular degeneration.

Bradley W. Gustave, MD
Boulder Ophthalmologist

Ideal Age for LASIK

The time for LASIK is when the eye has stopped growing.  Boys and girls physically mature at different times.  Eye stability is defined by a change of 0.5 diopters of change or less in 12 months in the dilated refraction.  Many girls are stable by the age of 18, which is the youngest for which I would normally agree to LASIK.  Almost all girls have stopped physically growing by the age of 20 or 21.  Boys commonly take another year or two to finish growing and may want to wait until they are 22 or 23 if there has been a change in the previous year's prescription. 

If LASIK is performed before  the eye is fully matured, it is likely that a fine-tuning or enhancement procedure would need to be performed.

Mark Golden, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

The Ideal Age for LASIK Eye Surgery

An ideal patient is between the ages of 21 and 65, although there are always exceptions.

Your overall health plays a roll into any procedure you have including LASIK so for example if you are a 50 year old with very advanced diabetes and have had some retinal damage, you may not be a candidate for LASIK.

Another example would be if you are 20 years old and have had a stable prescription for glasses or contact lenses for over two years and are perfectly healthy you may very likely be a candidate.

Michael K. Tracy, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Age and LASIK

We operate on patients from 18 and beyond.  There is no ideal age, but it is important to have a stable prescription and of course healthy eyes.   The demographics in our practice have shifted over the years and now there are many patients in their low 20's having surgery, likely the sons and daughters of prior patients years back.  Once you are over 40 or so, you will need to use readers which magnify for up close vision, as LASIK cannot fix this aging issue.   Average age for LASIK in US is around 38 or 39 but has been shifting younger over the past several years. 

Andrew E. Holzman, MD
Mc Lean Ophthalmologist

18 is the minimum age for LASIK

A stable prescription and healthy eyes are a prerequisite for laser vision correction especially at this age.

Joseph W. King, MD
Vancouver Ophthalmologist

Age limit for LASIK LASEK

FDA suggests 18 as the youngest age for LASIK. This is not a hard-and-fast rule, it's just because if you're younger than your Rx is PROBABLY NOT ALWAYS changing too quickly to allow the surgeon to accurately predict how you will wind up when stable, so he cannot figure out what # to enter into the laser.

That said, I have done LASEK on a very responsible young man who flew all the way to USA from Switzerland to see me, his Rx was pretty stable, and most importantly, he was VERY RESPONSIBLE AND MATURE AND I COULD TRUST HIM TO FOLLOW ALL OF MY POSTOP INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER.

I did LASEK on him and he wound up 20/20 and I properly overcorrected him for age based on my nomogram of 15,000 cases, appropriately considered his profession and education (he said he was going eventually going to grad school, so I know people like this will be reading a lot so their myopia will progress so I have to over-correct them more than the average person or they will progress more and wind up undercorrected).

So in Xmas 2010, about 8 years after his LASEK by me, I got a card from him and his family, as he just graduated from Harvard Business School and is STILL 20/20.

So you're really never too young to get LASEK--as long as you go to a surgeon with sufficient experience, expertise, and confidence to properly over-correct you for age (and profession, education, etc.)

Emil William Chynn, MD, FACS, MBA
New York Ophthalmologist