How Much Does Breast Reduction Cost?

I am quite sure my insurance plan cant cover the cost of breast reduction surgery. They don't consider it a medical necessity even though my breasts are causing me severe back pain and neck aches. About how much is a great plastic surgeon going to charge for a breast reduction? Does this include anesthesia too?  Warm thank you for helping me

Breast Reduction Fees

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In Denver, the fees for breast reduction range from about $7,000 -$11,000, depending on the surgeon and the location of the procedure (surgery center or hospital).

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Cost

Many factors involved, some fixed and others depend on your anatomy and medical condition if not covered by insurance. The technique of reduction (Wise pattern or anchor scar versus vertical or keyhole scar versus liposuction) also contribute to cost as one technique may take longer than another; larger breasts mean longer operating room time to complete the surgery; whether the surgeon operates in a hospital or in a surgery center are also issues to take into consideration.

I recommend scheduling an evaluation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs a significant number of breast procedures. They should be able to give you all the information you need as it pertains to your individual case.

Good Luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS

Atlanta Breast Reduction Price $6,550.00

If insurance denies coverage of your breast reduction the cost of the breast reduction at our facility is $6,550.00. This includes the physicians fee, anesthesia fee, facility fee and all of your follow up visits after surgery. Keep in mind that most surgery centers in this day and time have payment plans. The additional costs would be a lab work up, prescriptions, and pathology.

Breast reduction fees are going to vary

Hi there-

As with anything else, surgical fees and costs are going to vary depending on where you live, the details of the the procedure in question, and the experience and reputation of the surgeon. I think the most important thing to emphasize to you is the importance of finding a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that you like and feel comfortable with, and who you believe can do a good job for you (ask how often they do breast reduction).

Once you have found someone you feel can help you, then worry about the costs. Many fine financing options exist, and any good surgeon is going to even have staff able to help you with the paperwork--so find the right surgeon first. I hope that helps.

Breast reduction cost depends on the region

It depends upon where you would be having the procedure done. Typically the surgeon's fee in the southeast is $5000 - 6000 with anesthesia and OR fees being $1500 - 3000. I would guess that in California, it might be more than this.

Check with a plastic surgeon that has a certified OR in his facility, as costs sometimes can be controlled more at a private center.

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Cost of a Breast reduction

The cost of a breast reduction varies from state to state. Currently in southern Oregon, the going rate is around $6000.00 for the surgery, operating room, and anesthesia (whole package). The surgeries performed here are done on an out-patient basis in a State certified ambulatory surgery center. 

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Breast Reduction

It is very difficult to properly answer this question because each individual requires a different surgical plan and each surgeon charges a bit differently.  If you dont have insurance or your breasts dont fit the requirements for insurance, then you should consult with a few surgeons in order to compare and contrast styles and prices.

Payman Danielpour, MD

Insurance will likely "cover" your surgery

Breast reduction surgery is still "covered" by most insurance companies if the criteria is met. The problem is that even when covered you will likely have a large deductible as well as copay. I tend to sort through everything prior to the surgery and come up with a payment the patient will be responsible for prior to surgery and this takes the anxiety out of the equation for everyone. I have a full time employe who's sole purpose is to get such procedures authorized, as do most breast surgeons, so you can be assured everything will be done that can be done.

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

How Much Does Breast Reduction Cost?

Without exam and photos- impossible to tell accurately. Generally speaking the prices start with 6500 and up- depending on how much time the operation will take,the experience of a surgeon and all the other people required to deliver a service.

Cost of Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question.  The cost of breast reduction can vary from very little in the way of out of pocket expenses, with insurance covering the majority of the costs, to as high as approximately $10,000 to $15,000 if there are no insurance benefits available.  Generally speaking, there are three costs associated with any surgery.  

The first cost is the facility fee.  The facility is the actual location where the surgery will be performed.  This may be a hospital, outpatient facility or private operating room.  The costs associated with these locations range from being very expensive at many hospitals to much more reasonable at outpatient facilities and private offices.  I try to give people an idea of what each cost is.  Make sure that wherever you have your procedure that you verify that the facility is "accredited".  Some common accrediting organizations are "Medicare Approved", "JCAHO Approved" or "AAAASF Approved".  There are other legitimate accrediting agencies as well.  Facilities with any of these accreditations are heavily monitored and scrutinized by the state and the Federal government and are generally safe.  Please ask this question if you are considering having surgery in a private office or some place where there is no obvious hospital affiliation.  These costs are rigid but should be very transparent based on the amount of time needed for the surgery.  

The second cost is the anaesthesia fee.  Again, these fees vary based on geographic location as well as who is performing the anaesthesia for the procedure.  You should make sure that your anaesthesiologist is Board Certified by the American Board of Anaesthesia.  There are now C.R.N.A.'s (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists) who are responsible for the anaesthesia being performed at certain facilities.  Use of C.R.N.A.'s is certainly within the scope of practice.  Again, C.R.N.A.'s are not M.D.'s.  However, they have undergone appropriate training and have specific certification requirements through the National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists that you may ask your surgeon about and verify on-line.  I have worked with many C.R.N.A.'s in the past and have been very impressed with their abilities.  That being said, the anaesthesia fee is also very regimented and is based on the amount of time needed to perform the case.

The third cost is the surgeon fee.  You will see these fees range from very low ($1,000 to $2,000) to as high as $10,000 to $15,000.  This is a fee which is set by each individual surgeon's practice and is not always set in stone.  The best advice that I can give regarding this last piece of the cost of surgery is to look at credentials and go with your gut feeling about the provider.  If the deal seems to good to be true it probably is.  I have taken care of a number of people who have had unfortunate outcomes just to save a few thousand dollars.  Meet with the surgeon and ask questions.  Ask about Board Certification.  Make sure that the surgeon is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and that he or she is in good standing with the Board.  The process of getting Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery is long and very difficult.  Please do not be fooled by other "Board Certifications".  There are many Boards that sound very legitimate but can be obtained with little to no training and little knowledge of the field and practice of plastic surgery.

In summary, the cost of breast reduction varies greatly for the reasons described above,  If you find a Board Certified plastic surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and have your surgery performed in an accredited facility by a licensed, Certified anaesthesia provider you are giving yourself the opportunity for the safest and most ideal outcome possible.  The people in my practice who have undergone breast reductions are the happiest people in my practice.  To me, talking with them after their surgeries and hearing how their lives have changed for the better is the best part of the process.  If you have further questions please do not hesitate to ask.  Thank you for your time and I hope this helps.   

Kyle Belek, M.D.