After Breast Reduction Will my Breasts Remain Full?

I am due to get a breast reduction in a short while, I am just waiting for my insurance company's approval, which my doctor said will not be a problem due to the size of my breasts.

My concern is that right now my breasts are very full and I love that part about them... Is there a way that they can be reduced to a smaller size and remain full?

Breast fullness depends on the surgical technique.

+5

Some of the most common ways to do a breast reduction rely on tightening the skin to create the new breast shape. The trouble with this approach is that skin stretches over time and so you don't get great shape long term. You get what is called "bottoming out"; there is too much fullness UNDER the nipple and the upper part of the breasts look empty.

So I think the best way to treat someone like you is to shape the remaining breast tissue INTERNALLY (after the excess has been removed). The breast tissue and the nipple are moved up and sutured together internally . With this approach, you don't rely on the skin at all to get shape. The benefits are good LONG TERM fullness and thinner scars because there is no pulling on the skin repair.

This preferred technique was described by Dr. Hall Findlay.

Maintaining Fullness after Breast Reduction

+3

Congratulations on your decision to undergo Breast Reduction surgery.  The goal of breast reduction surgery is to reduce the volume of the breasts, while maintaining an aesthetically pleasing shape and contour.  Some techniques for reducing the breasts result in a boxy flat appearance. While others rely on internal shaping to increase the projection of the breasts which results in very natural, full and beautiful looking breasts. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what technique they may use. 

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Fullness after breast reduction guaranteed

+3

Given the appearance of your breasts pre-operatively, you are almost certain to maintain fullness after your reduction. However, the amount of fullness will depend on the technique used to reduce the breasts. I find that use of a superior or supero-medial pedicle technique (where the blood supply to the nipple is maintained on a superior or supero-medially based portion of the breast) tends to maintain more fullness in the upper portion of the breasts.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Your breasts will still have fullness.

+3

Don't worry, by the look of your picture, you breasts will still have fullness after your surgery. However, my suggestion is that you ask your surgeon to show you some before and after pictures of breast reductions that he or she has performed. This way, you will get a better idea of what to expect after surgery. By definition, a breast reduction reduces the volume of the breast. However, the goal of surgery is to leave you with a natural appearing breast that fits the size of your body. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery

David Shafer, MD

+2

How full the breasts remain after breast reduction depends on the quality and firmness of the breasts before surgery and the technique that is used.  The traditional Wise pattern inferior pedicle technique results in less fullness than the more recent vertical technique.  The problem with the vertical technique is that in close to 50% of cases it results in residual excessive length of the inferior segment which has to be dealt with at a later date.  Many individuals elect to have a reduction along with placement of implants for fullness.  I personally do not condone this procedure fully because it defeats the purpose of a breast reduction if the reduction is being carried out for the purposes it was designed for.  However, in occasional situations where such a procedure is carried out in our practice I would prefer to do it in two stages.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

You can have it all

+2

There are ways to do a breast redcuction and maintain the fulness.   Dont let your insurance company dictate your breast size...........  it is a personal matter not an economic one.  Sincerely,  Dr Grant Stevens, Marina del Rey, California

Grant Stevens, MD

Make sure all your questions are answered

+1
Your expectations of the result of your breast reduction is extremely important for you to discuss with your plastic surgeon as he has examined you and knows the technique he will use.

Fred Suess, MD

Breast Reduction and Fullness

+1
It is possible to achieve a reduction while maintaining the fullness. You will need to understand if (or what part of) the breast enhancement surgery will be covered by insurance. To do so, you will need to consult in person with expert and experienced surgeons so you fully understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fullness after breast reduction

+1
Fullness after breast reduction can be achieved with the proper technique.  Depending on the amount of tissue removed, the location in the breast from which the tissue is removed, and the reshaping of the skin of the breast, beautiful results can be achieved.  All of this comes with technical skill, experience, and proper training

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fullness Following Breast Reduction

+1
The breast shape/fullness should be retained after a breast reduction provided that the breasts are reduced to a size that is proportionate with the patients frame (typically around a C cup bra size). However, the breast fullness can and will change after pregnancy and/or massive weight loss. This is not due to the reduction but because of change in the volume of the breast and the inability of the skin to shrink to follow suit. In this situation, a breast lift may be indicated.

Ryan Dodde II, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon