After Breast Reduction Will my Breasts Remain Full?

I am due to get a breast reduction in a short while, I am just waiting for my insurance company's approval, which my doctor said will not be a problem due to the size of my breasts.

My concern is that right now my breasts are very full and I love that part about them... Is there a way that they can be reduced to a smaller size and remain full?

Breast fullness depends on the surgical technique.

+5

Some of the most common ways to do a breast reduction rely on tightening the skin to create the new breast shape. The trouble with this approach is that skin stretches over time and so you don't get great shape long term. You get what is called "bottoming out"; there is too much fullness UNDER the nipple and the upper part of the breasts look empty.

So I think the best way to treat someone like you is to shape the remaining breast tissue INTERNALLY (after the excess has been removed). The breast tissue and the nipple are moved up and sutured together internally . With this approach, you don't rely on the skin at all to get shape. The benefits are good LONG TERM fullness and thinner scars because there is no pulling on the skin repair.

This preferred technique was described by Dr. Hall Findlay.

Maintaining Fullness after Breast Reduction

+3

Congratulations on your decision to undergo Breast Reduction surgery.  The goal of breast reduction surgery is to reduce the volume of the breasts, while maintaining an aesthetically pleasing shape and contour.  Some techniques for reducing the breasts result in a boxy flat appearance. While others rely on internal shaping to increase the projection of the breasts which results in very natural, full and beautiful looking breasts. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what technique they may use. 

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

You can have it all

+3

There are ways to do a breast redcuction and maintain the fulness.   Dont let your insurance company dictate your breast size...........  it is a personal matter not an economic one.  Sincerely,  Dr Grant Stevens, Marina del Rey, California

Fullness after breast reduction guaranteed

+3

Given the appearance of your breasts pre-operatively, you are almost certain to maintain fullness after your reduction. However, the amount of fullness will depend on the technique used to reduce the breasts. I find that use of a superior or supero-medial pedicle technique (where the blood supply to the nipple is maintained on a superior or supero-medially based portion of the breast) tends to maintain more fullness in the upper portion of the breasts.

Your breasts will still have fullness.

+3

Don't worry, by the look of your picture, you breasts will still have fullness after your surgery. However, my suggestion is that you ask your surgeon to show you some before and after pictures of breast reductions that he or she has performed. This way, you will get a better idea of what to expect after surgery. By definition, a breast reduction reduces the volume of the breast. However, the goal of surgery is to leave you with a natural appearing breast that fits the size of your body. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery

Web reference: http://www.RealCosmeticSurgery.com

+2

How full the breasts remain after breast reduction depends on the quality and firmness of the breasts before surgery and the technique that is used.  The traditional Wise pattern inferior pedicle technique results in less fullness than the more recent vertical technique.  The problem with the vertical technique is that in close to 50% of cases it results in residual excessive length of the inferior segment which has to be dealt with at a later date.  Many individuals elect to have a reduction along with placement of implants for fullness.  I personally do not condone this procedure fully because it defeats the purpose of a breast reduction if the reduction is being carried out for the purposes it was designed for.  However, in occasional situations where such a procedure is carried out in our practice I would prefer to do it in two stages.

Fullness after breast reduction

+1
Fullness after breast reduction depends on technique and the fullness the breasts have prior to surgery.  Some women have very deflated breast particularly after substantial weight loss.  Those women may not have a great deal of fullness after breast reduction.  However, I've seen women who have very dense breast and fullness like you appear to have postoperatively have fullness particularly after the vertical (keyhole) technique.  

Quintessa Milker MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: Http://www.mysaplasticsurgeon.com

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction volume

+1
Of course! A breast reduction can use your own tissue as a filler, to create fullness in the remaining skin envelope.
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast fullness following reduction

+1
Surgeon technique has a large impact on determining the upper pole fullness following a breast reduction. Choose the best surgeon you can find to achieve the results you desire. Good luck.

Factors that Effect Breast Fullness in a Reduction

+1
There are a few factors that determine the fullness after breast reduction.  One is what you start with. If you have a rounded profile to the top of your breasts when looking from the side, even if they do not feel full, you are likely to get fullness in the upper breast after a reduction IF modern techniques are used. There are many ways to reduce a breast. The older techniques use an anchor scar and rely on the skin to hold the breast in a good shape. This often lasts a year or two then the breast tissue begins to stretch the skin and the fullness disappears to the bottom of the breast. With newer techniques, the breast tissue itself is modified and shaped into a smaller but more pleasing shape, providing a lift to both the breast tissue and the nipple. The end result is a lasting shape. Your photos suggest you would do great.

Dr. Pyle
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon