Best Non-prescription Acne Treatment?

Rather not have to go to the dermatologist for a prescription acne treatment. What really works?

Check the ingredients of OTC acne treatments

+4

Rather than name a product, let me suggest these ingredients:

• Benzoyl peroxide
  • Salicylic acid
  • Antimicrobial peptides
  • Glycolic acid
  • Sulfur

These products either kill acne-causing bacteria, help clear the plug in the pore, or act to decrease inflammation. Give any OTC product at least 4 weeks or up to 12 weeks to improve the acne. If regular use does not result in decreased blemishes, then it is time to see a dermatologist.

There are oral medications, presciption creams, and now lasers that can give dramatic improvement. Go to my link at the top right of this answer to see some typical results.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.